Official 2009/2010 rank list help thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree with the caveat that, if you want to match to CCF for Cards (and you could do MUCH worse), you should rank it higher. Also, I would move Crotchester up to =UIC and Dartmouth but that's a judgment call and location-wise it ranks lower.

Good stuff. Does CCF take many of its own residents? Side question, do people from the "Top 5" go to CCF for cards fellowship? Cleveland, the city, appears to be a limiting factor compared to Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, and maybe even Baltimore.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU>UIC=Dartmouth>Rochester=Miami>Rush=Loyola>Cleveland Clinic>USC

I don't have the info right in front of me now, but doesn't Cleveland Clinic match tons of people into cardio? I seem to remember that ~1/3 of the graduates went into this subspecialty.

EDIT: obviously I'm too slow on the uptake. In partial answer to some of the new questions, I think CCF take quite a number of its own for cardio, but certainly not all. 14 people last year are doing cardio fellowships, next highest # of folks doing something were those who were becoming hospitalists. There were only 8 of them, though.

Do you know why Cornell went on probation? Do you know if they have addressed those issues? Then if someone wants to go to Cornell, then why would you be dissuading him solely on the basis of the fact that the program was on probation 6 months ago?

I am not going to address the personal attacks - will stick to rank order issues on this thread.
You know nothing of the program, yet you slander it like the slut that you are. They are good people. They are talented people. They had over-worked residents on some rotations and this violated work hours. This is why they were on probation, and the problem was fixed before the probationary status started (and lasted all but six months). The probationary status ended three months ago, by the way. Not another peep out of you.....

Members don't see this ad :)
You know nothing of the program, yet you slander it like the slut that you are. They are good people. They are talented people. They had over-worked residents on some rotations and this violated work hours. This is why they were on probation, and the problem was fixed before the probationary status started (and lasted all but six months). The probationary status ended three months ago, by the way. Not another peep out of you.....

I am quite confused by this. I felt like ResidentMD's post was pro-Cornell and telling the other poster not to knock Cornell solely on the basis that they were on probation previously. Did I miss something?

I want to do Pulm/CC and want great clinical training. Geography is not that important. I will try to finish my MPH during residency. Some of you have helped me before and I really appreciate it, but since then I have gone on second looks and this has changed my ROL. So I would appreciate any insight you could give me.

Tentative ROL:

VCU
Louisville
Iowa
Minnesota
Scott & White-Texas A&M
OU-OKC
UT-San Antonio
MetroHealth
Missouri-Columbia
South Carolina Palmetto
others

On a side note am I putting too much stock in gut feeling? I ask this because my ROL changed a lot after going on second looks.

Thanks in advance.

I am quite confused by this. I felt like ResidentMD's post was pro-Cornell and telling the other poster not to knock Cornell solely on the basis that they were on probation previously. Did I miss something?

No tform8 that is exactly what I thought. I think ResidentMD's comment was misconstrued, but that was pretty funny.

Interested in ID and quite confused bc looking for somewhere solely on Reputation and ability to get me into an awesome global health/ID fellowship.:xf: Thoughts? Location not an issue.
My first attempt is below. Thanks!

Yale primary care
Cornell
Mayo Rochester
Hopkins bayview
Cedars Sinai
UPMC Pittsburg
Denver Colarado
Cleveland Clinic
USC
Loma Linda
St Lukes Roosevelt NY
UMass
Baylor (Dallas)
St Mary's (Long Beach, CA)
Albert Einstein Jacobi (Bronx)

No tform8 that is exactly what I thought. I think ResidentMD's comment was misconstrued, but that was pretty funny.

It reminded me a little bit of the Leave Britney Alone! youtube clip.

"How f'ing dare anyone out there make fun of Cornell after all she has been through.!

She lost her aunt, she went through a divorce. She had two f'ing kids.

Her husband turned out to be a user, a cheater, and now she's going through a custody battle. All you people care about is….. readers and making money off of her.

SHE’S A HUMAN! (ah! ooh!) What you don’t realize is that Cornell is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about her.

She hasn’t performed on stage in years. Her song is called “give me more” for a reason because all you people want is MORE! MORE-MORE, MORE: MORE!.

LEAVE HER ALONE! You are lucky she even performed for you BASTARDS!
LEAVE CORNELL ALONE!…..Please.

Perez Hilton talked about professionalism and said if Cornell was a professional she would’ve pulled it off no matter what.

Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time.

Leave Cornell Alone Please…. !
Leave Cornell Spears alone!…right now!….I mean it.!

Anyone that has a problem with her you deal with me, because she is not well right now.

LEAVE HER ALONE!
"

Good stuff. Does CCF take many of its own residents? Side question, do people from the "Top 5" go to CCF for cards fellowship? Cleveland, the city, appears to be a limiting factor compared to Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, and maybe even Baltimore.

CCF does not take many of its own for Cards or GI. They were abundantly clear about this no-incest policy, especially in cards, from multiple different sources during the interview day. I would consider going to CCF as an American equivalent of some IMG getting a residency at some hospital like Bronx Lebanon... being very proud of having a residency in the first place, but you will be working your ass off for very little guaranteed reward at the end of the pipeline. I would rank it very high for fellowship, but very low for actual IM residency. It is just some doctor factory full of automatons. Of the boutique clinics, Mayo is more down to earth, and you will have more autonomy there especially at that St Mary's Hospital, than CCF. Avoid. Just my opinion.

It reminded me a little bit of the Leave Britney Alone! youtube clip.

"How f'ing dare anyone out there make fun of Cornell after all she has been through.!

She lost her aunt, she went through a divorce. She had two f'ing kids.

Her husband turned out to be a user, a cheater, and now she's going through a custody battle. All you people care about is….. readers and making money off of her.

SHE’S A HUMAN! (ah! ooh!) What you don’t realize is that Cornell is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about her.

She hasn’t performed on stage in years. Her song is called “give me more” for a reason because all you people want is MORE! MORE-MORE, MORE: MORE!.

LEAVE HER ALONE! You are lucky she even performed for you BASTARDS!
LEAVE CORNELL ALONE!…..Please.

Perez Hilton talked about professionalism and said if Cornell was a professional she would’ve pulled it off no matter what.

Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time.

Leave Cornell Alone Please…. !
Leave Cornell Spears alone!…right now!….I mean it.!

Anyone that has a problem with her you deal with me, because she is not well right now.

LEAVE HER ALONE!
"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: This is the best post on the thread!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: This is the best post on the thread!

Yeah, that was funny :laugh:

My comment was misinterpreted. The sole basis of my comment was that dont just slam a program that is as good as Cornell (yes, they may not be Brighams but they are definitely one of the top 30-50-odd programs in the country) just because it was on probation - especially without knowing why it was.

MGH surg was on probation sometime back, but that doesnt stop people from going there for what it is - a good training program that opens many doors for you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am reposting this hoping that you guys will please, please help me. :) I'm afraid this was getting lost in the arguing/discussions going on, but I would appreciate your advice!

Shellseashell-- I'm having similar issues, except just with UCI and Scripps Green. So I'm also looking for any responses to that!

I need help! :) I know what my bottom 4 are... but the top 7 are driving me NUTS.

-UC Irvine
-Madison
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-Loyola
-Rush
-Scripps Green
-St Jo, Denver (I know.... but Denver is so great!)

I prefer a bigger program with fellowship opportunities-- but having said that, I really just want to be in the best program possible in terms of reputation.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Switch Madison and UCI in your list and it looks pretty good to me.

This is just something I've wondered in the past, but is madison considered the #1 state program in Wisconsin over MCW? I always get the two confused being a non-midwesterner.

This is just something I've wondered in the past, but is madison considered the #1 state program in Wisconsin over MCW? I always get the two confused being a non-midwesterner.

In a word: yes.

Not that there's anything wrong with MCW, but UW-M is, overall, a "better" place.

hey guys

99s IMG applied late but still managed a few calls
interested in cards
plz help me out with my rank order list
this is my list:

1.saint louis uni
2.kansas uni
3,umdnj, newark
4.uconn
5.oklahoma uni, oc
6.willian beaumont
7.hennepin medical county

no preference to location...will appreciate a reply!

hey guys

99s IMG applied late but still managed a few calls
interested in cards
plz help me out with my rank order list
this is my list:

1.saint louis uni
2.kansas uni
3,umdnj, newark
4.uconn
5.oklahoma uni, oc
6.willian beaumont
7.hennepin medical county

no preference to location...will appreciate a reply!

Do I see a visa issue here, which is why UConn and UMDNJ are not rank 1 and 2 respectively? If not, those would be my rank 1 and 2. Not a big fan of KUMC from IMG fellowship match POV.

Interested in cardiology and split between UAB and Duke for my #1.

If all things were equal (prestige, fellowship placement, etc) I would pick UAB simply because I liked it more. I did not hate Duke, just felt UAB was a better fit for me.

Long term I want to be in the southeast and am interested in an academic career geared more towards clinical education. I am not terribly interested in research. With these goals in mind, how do you feel the opportunities UAB has to offer compare to those of Duke?

If all things were equal (prestige, fellowship placement, etc) I would pick UAB simply because I liked it more. I did not hate Duke, just felt UAB was a better fit for me.

Long term I want to be in the southeast and am interested in an academic career geared more towards clinical education. I am not terribly interested in research. With these goals in mind, how do you feel the opportunities UAB has to offer compare to those of Duke?

Duke is the most prestigious program in the South followed by UAB. You would do well in either of these programs. It just comes down to where you liked the best and where you want to live.

There is a thread with commentary about UAB vs. Emory here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=254592

You would have no issues finding cardiac patients at either institution:
http://imaginativeamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/imagi_obesity_map.jpg

thanks for replyin! Not a issue as all of my uni programs are j1. SLU had an impressiv fellowship record...PD gave us a slide presentation which showed the last 3 yrs cards match rate of 92%.
KUMC cards rank 39 in US and they usually take internal candidates. That was my reason for them as being 1 and 2...

thanks for replyin! Not a issue as all of my uni programs are j1. SLU had an impressiv fellowship record...PD gave us a slide presentation which showed the last 3 yrs cards match rate of 92%.
KUMC cards rank 39 in US and they usually take internal candidates. That was my reason for them as being 1 and 2...

Do I see a visa issue here, which is why UConn and UMDNJ are not rank 1 and 2 respectively? If not, those would be my rank 1 and 2. Not a big fan of KUMC from IMG fellowship match POV.

Thanks for replyin. The reason for SLu being no. 1 is the impressive natch of cards for the last 3 yrs has been 92%. PD showed us the presentation!
KUMC cards rank 39 in US and they favour internal candidates alot infact a couple of yrs back all four spots were filled withtheir own residents!

UMDNJ cards placement was not that imprssive. Not sure abt uconn and OU

Be aware of selection bias in these fellowship match rates. If you have a program that is very involvedi n terms of mentoring and your future career plans, there is a good chance they will steer you away from cards if they see you would be unlikely or even less likely to match into it.

SLU also does H-1 visas, if that matters to you.
Also, Beaumont is a pretty sweet place especially if you want to to go into cardiology. They have many of the big names in cardiology there and quite a few of the gurus who formulated the current guidelines etc for a lot of the cardiac stuff. Should be able to figure out how their cardiology match is (internally and otherwise), from the fat booklet/book they give out on the interview day.

I'll preface this by saying follow your gut...BUT Duke reigns supreme in IM and Cards in the South. I really liked UAB's program, and if you want to stay in the South you won't go wrong either way (since residencies and fellowships have regional preferences).

However, you should examine 1) would you want to stay at UAB for Cards and 2) how many internal candidates they take for fellowship. On the interview trail Duke made it clear that for GI and Cards, being a Duke resident wasn't a huge advantage because they are so competitive (yes they take some Duke people, but these fellowships are not dominated by them). UAB may be different.

I do know that residents from top programs trip over themselves to get to Duke for Cards because their program is ridiculous (in a good way). On paper, Duke is an overall strong program in all areas and won't close any doors for you career-wise if you want a career in academia, esp. if you decide later to leave the South.

Duke is the most prestigious program in the South followed by UAB.

I agree with this mostly but will say that there is really a slim margin (if any) separating UAB/Vandy/Emory in the south and any preference given by future employers and fellowship directors is probably going to be based on which program they have experience with in the past. There is no question that Duke is almost universally considered the strongest program in the south.

UAB is a great program, though, and you will surely have a lot of opportunities from there as well. If you are looking to do cards at a top 10 place in another area of the country (northeast, west coast) then probably Duke will carry you there more easily. If you are looking to stay in the south for fellowship at one of the aforementioned programs, UAB is a great program. And of course you can match fellowship all over the country with UAB, but I think Duke is going to give you some extra pop if you are looking at the really top name brand places for cards.

Thanks for replyin. The reason for SLu being no. 1 is the impressive natch of cards for the last 3 yrs has been 92%. PD showed us the presentation!
KUMC cards rank 39 in US and they favour internal candidates alot infact a couple of yrs back all four spots were filled withtheir own residents!

UMDNJ cards placement was not that imprssive. Not sure abt uconn and OU

I have a hunch UConn may be doing better - check it out.

Be aware of selection bias in these fellowship match rates. If you have a program that is very involvedi n terms of mentoring and your future career plans, there is a good chance they will steer you away from cards if they see you would be unlikely or even less likely to match into it.

Agreed- as an IMG, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT CARDS/GI, you should be ready to spend your life for 6-8 years in a particular location (because you may not match the first time around, and your best bet is in-house). So you need to answer to yourself, would you be happy living in Kansas for the next 6-8 years? Would you be happy in SLU for the next 6-8 years? St Louis isnt as bad as it is made out to be (especially the suburbs), but in all probability, you will not make it to WashU for Cards. On the other hand, at UConn and UMDNJ, you have many more academic centers in the vicinity - also NYC (close to Connecticut) and Philadelphia probably will offer you a lot more in the next 6-8 years.

I agree about Beaumont. Again though, you should think if you are ready to spend 6-8 years in Detroit.

I'll preface this by saying follow your gut...BUT Duke reigns supreme in IM and Cards in the South. I really liked UAB's program, and if you want to stay in the South you won't go wrong either way (since residencies and fellowships have regional preferences).

However, you should examine 1) would you want to stay at UAB for Cards and 2) how many internal candidates they take for fellowship. On the interview trail Duke made it clear that for GI and Cards, being a Duke resident wasn't a huge advantage because they are so competitive (yes they take some Duke people, but these fellowships are not dominated by them). UAB may be different.

I do know that residents from top programs trip over themselves to get to Duke for Cards because their program is ridiculous (in a good way). On paper, Duke is an overall strong program in all areas and won't close any doors for you career-wise if you want a career in academia, esp. if you decide later to leave the South.

I agree with this mostly but will say that there is really a slim margin (if any) separating UAB/Vandy/Emory in the south and any preference given by future employers and fellowship directors is probably going to be based on which program they have experience with in the past. There is no question that Duke is almost universally considered the strongest program in the south.

UAB is a great program, though, and you will surely have a lot of opportunities from there as well. If you are looking to do cards at a top 10 place in another area of the country (northeast, west coast) then probably Duke will carry you there more easily. If you are looking to stay in the south for fellowship at one of the aforementioned programs, UAB is a great program. And of course you can match fellowship all over the country with UAB, but I think Duke is going to give you some extra pop if you are looking at the really top name brand places for cards.

I loved my UAB interview. I think its a fabulous program. On the other hand, Duke does carry a better national reputation. One thing that worried me at UAB was the number of in-house matches. I asked around, and people said that can be an issue for Cards and GI. Having said that, UAB Cards is anyway one of the top 10 in the country. But I think, if you want to go to UAB, you should be mentally prepared that you may have to settle for in-house fellowships and be ready to spend the next 6 years in Birmingham. You may go to a place lower down on the list, but as someone said, if you want to match into ANOTHER top 10 Cards program, Duke puts you at an advantage in that case.

An important note - I hear UAB strongly advocates for its residents staying in house for fellowships - even Cards and GI. As someone said above, this is probably less likely at Duke.

I have a hunch UConn may be doing better - check it out.

Agreed- as an IMG, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT CARDS/GI, you should be ready to spend your life for 6-8 years in a particular location (because you may not match the first time around, and your best bet is in-house). So you need to answer to yourself, would you be happy living in Kansas for the next 6-8 years? Would you be happy in SLU for the next 6-8 years? St Louis isnt as bad as it is made out to be (especially the suburbs), but in all probability, you will not make it to WashU for Cards. On the other hand, at UConn and UMDNJ, you have many more academic centers in the vicinity - also NYC (close to Connecticut) and Philadelphia probably will offer you a lot more in the next 6-8 years.

I agree about Beaumont. Again though, you should think if you are ready to spend 6-8 years in Detroit.

Well, you are absolutely right abt the programs with strong mentorship process. But to add, I have a solid research background, am a graduate of 2008 and already have over 15 publications (on pubmed) under my belt with around 5 in cards in well reputed journals. Research is something I dont mind as I know the art of manuscript writing. And to stay 6-8 yrs is not a big deal even at a mid west location, if its getting me to a cards fellowship! visa does matter and thanks for letting me know SLU offers h-1. Now SLU will be no.1. am just concerned where to put KUMC, Uconn, UMDNJ, Oklahoma uni, William Beaumont.

probably shud put it in the order written or you guys have any suggestions? may be I shud move beaumont a lil up the list :S am confused! cuz NOT many graduates from my uni have explored mid west region! so am unaware abt the strengths of these programs...help please!

And UConn vs UMDNJ ...which one to prefer?

hey guys - would love your help. am md/phd and will definitely go into ID, probably HIV vaccine work. i don't necessarily have to short-track or go to fellowship at the same place as residency. location's not an issue either. i want an IM program that will train me well and let me have my pick of programs (as much as possible) for ID fellowship. thanks!

Penn
UW
Duke
Columbia
UCSD
Vandy
BIDMC
UChicago

hey guys - would love your help. am md/phd and will definitely go into ID, probably HIV vaccine work. i don't necessarily have to short-track or go to fellowship at the same place as residency. location's not an issue either. i want an IM program that will train me well and let me have my pick of programs (as much as possible) for ID fellowship. thanks!

Penn
UW
Duke
Columbia
UCSD
Vandy
BIDMC
UChicago

I would research the ID section for your top 3 programs to see which of them does the kind of work in HIV that you want to do since you will be able to get into the fellowship program of wherever you go for your residency (based on the fact that you are MD/PhD and the quality of programs you are considering). My ranking would be:

#1,2,3 (whichever order you pick) - Columbia, Penn, Duke
#4,5 - UWash, Chicago
#6,7 - BIDMC, Vandy
#8 - UCSD

Penn
UW
Duke
Columbia
UCSD
Vandy
BIDMC
UChicago

1. Columbia
2. Penn=Duke
4. UW
5. BIDMC
6. Vandy
7. UChicago
8. UCSD

thanks for the replies guys! just curious; do you really think UW is not as good as columbia and duke for IM training? its ID division is the largest in the country... and why would you put columbia above duke or penn?

thanks for the replies guys! just curious; do you really think UW is not as good as columbia and duke for IM training? its ID division is the largest in the country... and why would you put columbia above duke or penn?

You're right, I didn't think of the Seattle/Gates factor in terms of HIV research funding. UW might be the tops of this list for ID. I was more just going by general IM reputation.

You're right, I didn't think of the Seattle/Gates factor in terms of HIV research funding. UW might be the tops of this list for ID. I was more just going by general IM reputation.

So for general IM reputation you think Columbia > Duke and Penn?

So for general IM reputation you think Columbia > Duke and Penn?

Not in any significant way, just a personal bias. I think their fellowship match list is more consistently strong than the other two...Although all of these programs give you a chance at securing the top fellowships.

The three programs I am most interested in but having trouble deciding on final ranking are:

1) mount sinai
2) NYU
3) BIDMC

I feel like all would be fine for me; may do critical care, but I'm not sure.

The three programs I am most interested in but having trouble deciding on final ranking are:

1) mount sinai
2) NYU
3) BIDMC

I think on name alone, BIDMC might be first....But if you have a preference for NYC, I would just keep it in the order you already have it in. I think Mt. Sinai probably is somewhat stronger of a program than NYU, although I think the NYU hospital facillities are probably better.

1) mount sinai
2) NYU
3) BIDMC

- Do you want to be in New York or Boston for residency?
- Are you thinking about fellowship? Which one? Where do you think you would want to be for fellowship?
- What kind of "feel" did you subjectively get when you innterviewed at these programs?

If you answer these questions and you are still undecided, then we can help you out. GL

UPenn would be the clear winner.

I would agree with that, and I would say it's even more clear that Columbia is #3 out of those programs. All are great programs, but you won't hear Columbia thrown around as a top 5 program nearly as much as you will Penn and Duke. I would rank them like this (with dashes corresponding to distance between the programs reputation):

Penn--Duke-----Columbia

But, hey, that's why we each get our own rank list.

Columbia's match list is exceptional, though.

The best place for you to train is where you liked!

can some one help me with my ROL. Which should i rank first?

1) University of Minnesota
2) Loma linda university
3) University of Arkansas
4) Drexel university

Columbia's match list is exceptional, though.

The best place for you to train is where you liked!

Outside of Heme/onc, I think Columbia's match list has been consistently stronger than Upenn. And probably the people interested in heme/onc might select Cornell over Columbia for residency.

But then again maybe I'm biased. I didn't interview at UPenn.

Last edited:
can some one help me with my ROL. Which should i rank first?

1) University of Minnesota
2) Loma linda university
3) University of Arkansas
4) Drexel university

Depends on what your long term goals are...

UMn has the best reputation.

LLUMC is probably in the best location, but probably the weakest program on your list.

U of Arkansas will give you a fair number of research opportunities and is a small enough program that you can get to know faculty well.. and they do have a a few fellowship slots...I imagine they take in house because how many people really want to go there from other places, unless they are natives of Arkansas.

Drexel probably has a decent number of Philadelphia connections, but I don't think it is as strong as Jeff and perhaps not as strong as Temple.

My long term goal is to attain a fellowship in GI. How are the fellowship placements of GI at U of Minnesota?. They do have a placement list on their website for the past 5 years which did not seem impressive. Only 13 residents have matched in GI of which 8 in house, 3 at Mayo Clinic and one each at couple of other institutions. They have 22 categorical spots every year.

How is Loma Linda for GI placement? I have heard that their placements are very good but was unable to access their fellowship placement list for past years. Can anyone confirm this?

1) mount sinai
2) NYU
3) BIDMC

BIDMC > NYU > Mt. Sinai

My long term goal is to attain a fellowship in GI. How are the fellowship placements of GI at U of Minnesota?. They do have a placement list on their website for the past 5 years which did not seem impressive. Only 13 residents have matched in GI of which 8 in house, 3 at Mayo Clinic and one each at couple of other institutions. They have 22 categorical spots every year.

How is Loma Linda for GI placement? I have heard that their placements are very good but was unable to access their fellowship placement list for past years. Can anyone confirm this?

The reason why GI placement at LL is good is because they take their own. It's that simple.

UPenn would be the clear winner.

In my academic circles at the national medicine meetings..

Columbia edges out Penn by a little.

Duke is good too, but it's hard to compare because it's in a different region.

In my academic circles at the national medicine meetings..

Columbia edges out Penn by a little.

Duke is good too, but it's hard to compare because it's in a different region.

I would also think at this point (among those programs) you're in hair-splitting territory -- sort of like the discussion above regarding which hospital is better: MGH or UCSF...