Official 2009/2010 rank list help thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think Emory may give one of the more diverse experiences in the country with its hospital system.

I have always been impressed by UMich grads. I think they have an outstanding program.

I went to WashU, but I was really uncertain about things after the interview (because there was so much food)... so do not know how I would rank them at this point. I have to research that program more.

Agreed - I overlooked UMich on that list. I dont know too much about that program, but as Frugal put it, I know a ton of people always impressed by UMich grads, both from med school and residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied by location - i.e. cities that are fairly busy and am comfortable imagining myself living in for 3 years. My future plans are to be a nephrologist and preferably keep Hopkins as an option for their strong MPH tracks catered specifically for fellowship so the reputation of the program and how well they'd be known for a program like Hopkins are indeed important to me.

I'm currently a student at Albert Einstein and so very familiar with the teeth-to-the-grindstone training at Monte but not sure if I want to work that hard and going well over 80h/week like that for 3 years. But willing to work hard for strong fellowship match.

My list in no particular order looks like this:

Thomas Jefferson
Rush
Cedars Sinai
University of Southern California
University of Illinois at Chicago
Drexel University
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Montefiore Medical Center
California Pacific Medical Center
St Lukes-Roosevelet
Beth Israel Medical Center
Lenox Hill Hospital

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. UIC
2. Rush
3. TJ
4. Cedars
5-12. Any order

1. UIC
2. Rush
3. TJ
4. Cedars
5-12. Any order

You may want to also explore if any of your programs (I think TJU allows it) would allow you to add an academic orientation to your residency e.g. by doing some sort of coursework, doing research projects,etc. I do not know the connections of TJU versus UIC (I would keep TJU and Rush at the same level). But if you can demonstrate some academic achievement even during residency, I think academic fellowship programs look at you more favorably.

Have you looked at the match list of UIC versus TJU? Is there a regional discrepancy, that would possibly lead to TJU sending a greater number of residents to Hopkins?

Nephro is not incredibly competitive, so I think you should choose a place where you would be able to develop connections and demonstrate enough academic commitment so that Hopkins thinks you are a good asset.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
i'd appreciate any help! i'm interested in GI, location doesn't really matter, would like a program with good teaching and camaraderie.

rush
loyola
dartmouth
osu
univ hospitals case
u of minnesota
u of nebraska
u of utah
wake forest
iowa
kumc
u of vermont
umass
urochester

thanks!

Interested in a program that is primarily oriented towards clinical training over academics/research with an eye towards a GI fellowship. Will again likely pursue a more clinically oriented than academics/research oriented fellowship program. Looking for people's opinions based on my interests, program rep, and fellowship opportunities. Location not important.

Brown
Colorado
Emory
Maryland
Mayo Clinic
Michigan
Tufts
UVA
WashU

Help much appreciated!

I think for clinical training Wash U, Michigan, Colorado and Emory are all strong programs. Mayo is strong as well, but not as hands-on as you might like. But Mayo has a very reputed GI fellowship, would check with their residents to see how many in-house candidates are they taking. In terms of most fellowship opportunities I would recommend WashU and Michigan.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. They're all helpful. As others have pointed out, WashU, U of M, Mayo, & Emory probably have the best reps of those on my list. I guess like others here I'm having more difficulty with the slightly lesser known programs. Is there a HUGE dropoff to a Brown/Tufts/UVA from the former programs (keeping in mind that I'm probably not looking for a GI fellowship at Hopkins, MGH, BWH, etc.; I probably will look for one at programs similar to those on my residency list)? Even if there is a large dropoff, does anyone know much about those latter 3 (Brown/Tufts/UVA) to differentiate them? I have my own thoughts and feelings on all these places having interviewed there and seen them, just looking for extra input!

Thanks again!

Dear all,
I will probably apply into heme/onc. Not sure how academic I want to be, but would like to keep my options open.
Coming from a top-tier medical school but because of a low grade in my first clerkship of 3rd year (which happened to be IM), I got less interviews than expected.
Geography - Trying to go to the mid-atlantic region.

1. Upittsburgh
2. Umaryland
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. Georgetown
5. Penn state

Any advice would be appreciated. I am trying to justify picking Pitt over Maryland (which is closer to family) but am having trouble.
Maryland's cancer center seems to be up and coming but Pitt's seems to be slightly more well-established. The quality of their residency programs and their match lists seem to be of similar quality.
thanks in advance

I'd like to know how Maryland and Pittsburgh compare, as well as UVA. They all seem pretty similar in terms of being strong but not top tier programs.

I'd like to know how Maryland and Pittsburgh compare, as well as UVA. They all seem pretty similar in terms of being strong but not top tier programs.

It has been my understanding that UPitt, and to some extent UVA, are considered top-tier. Am I wrong?

It has been my understanding that UPitt, and to some extent UVA, are considered top-tier. Am I wrong?

It all depends on how wide your top tier is...

The way I see it:
1A: Hopkins, UCSF, BWH, MGH
1B: UPenn, Duke, Columbia?
2: A group of 10-15 hospitals including WashU, UWash, Michigan, UCLA, Cornell, BIDMC, Pitt, etc.
UVa I think would be at the end of this grouping.

I think many people would agree though that any of the top 20 programs are so give you a legit chance of landing a top notch fellowship...Those tier 1A programs just guarantee it kind of, and those tier 1B programs make it more likely than not. I do however feel that if someone is interested in practicing GIM, then many of the programs in tier 2 would be just as good as those in 1A, and perhaps location is a more important factor.

The way I see it:
2: A group of 10-15 hospitals including WashU, UWash, Michigan, UCLA, Cornell, BIDMC, Pitt, etc.

I think many people would agree though that any of the top 20 programs are so give you a legit chance of landing a top notch fellowship...Those tier 1A programs just guarantee it kind of, and those tier 1B programs make it more likely than not. I do however feel that if someone is interested in practicing GIM, then many of the programs in tier 2 would be just as good as those in 1A, and perhaps location is a more important factor.

Hmm, where would Stanford, OHSU, and Vandy fall on this list?

No. They are not generally considered in the top 25-30 programs for general internal medicine. They are solid mid-tier university programs. Clinical training will be likely as good (if not better) than a top tier, and you will find a fellowship if you're a solid resident.

Members don't see this ad :)

The way I see it:

what about the NYC programs (non columbia/cornell) like MSSM/Montefiore/NYU?

My current ROL:

1/2.) Stanford, Duke
3/4.) Vandy, Pitt
5.) Michigan
6.) UVA
7.) Maryland
8.) Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, UNC

I'm factoring in location to my list, otherwise Michigan would be higher. I liked Stanford a lot, but I'm concerned that it's a very academic/research oriented program and if I decided to do exclusively clinical work, I might not have enough hands-on training.

I'm actually applying to neurology, not medicine, but the forums here are much more active and I figure it can't hurt to be at a place where the medicine training is strong. Thanks for your input!

No. They are not generally considered in the top 25-30 programs for general internal medicine. They are solid mid-tier university programs. Clinical training will be likely as good (if not better) than a top tier, and you will find a fellowship if you're a solid resident.

I think Pitt would be a top 25 program. I believe most would rank it from 20-25. I have no knowledge about UVa, but I have read it being arguably described as being in the top 30. I think if at all, the highest it would go is in the 25-30 range.

I don't think that is true about Pitt...I think Pitt is definitely in the top 20-25 programs....

Let me take a shot at expanding tier 2...UW, Wash U, Michigan, UCLA, Yale, Cornell, BIDMC, Baylor, UChicago, Mayo, Stanford, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Vandy, Pitt, OHSU, UTSW, and Colorado. (programs 8-25)

I think UNC, Northwestern, Georgetown, UAB, Emory, UCSD, Iowa, Boston, Brown, Wake, Maryland and UVa are on the outside looking in.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of good ones.

I think Pitt would be a top 25 program. I believe most would rank it from 20-25. I have no knowledge about UVa, but I have read it being arguably described as being in the top 30. I think if at all, the highest it would go is in the 25-30 range.

I don't think that is true about Pitt...I think Pitt is definitely in the top 20-25 programs....

Let me take a shot at expanding tier 2...UW, Wash U, Michigan, UCLA, Yale, Cornell, BIDMC, Baylor, UChicago, Mayo, Stanford, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Vandy, Pitt, OHSU, UTSW, and Colorado. (programs 8-25)

I think UNC, Northwestern, Georgetown, UAB, Emory, UCSD, Iowa, Boston, Brown, Wake, Maryland and UVa are on the outside looking in.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of good ones.

I disagree. Here's how I see the top ~25. Not in specific order.

1. Hopkins
2. UCSF
3. B&W
4. MGH
5. BID
6. WashU
7. Cornell
8. Penn
9. Duke
10. UCLA
11. Mayo - Rochester
12. UAB
13. Michigan
14. Wahington Uof
15. OHSU
16. Emory
17. TexasSW
18. Baylor
19. Yale
20. Chicago Uof
21. Columbia
22. Stanford
23. Vanderbilt
24. North Carolina
25. Wisconsin
26. Iowa
27. NWern
28. Colorado

There's room I suppose for you to add Pitt at the end there, but the general gestault out "there" is not that Pitt is a "top 20" spot. The Gods of Critical Care live there and they have an extremely aggressive and well respected Cards program, but for general internal med . . . 2nd tier.

EDIT: This list was compiled as they came off my brain and is NOT strictly an "in order" from top to bottom list of programs by rank. If anyone else responds to this post criticizing the list by the numbers and order of numbers, I shall mock you with witty picture memes.

Last edited:
I disagree. Here's how I see the top ~25. Not in specific order.

1. Hopkins
2. UCSF
3. B&W
4. MGH
5. BID
6. WashU
7. Cornell
8. Penn
9. Duke
10. UCLA
11. Mayo - Rochester
12. UAB
13. Michigan
14. Wahington Uof
15. OHSU
16. Emory
17. TexasSW
18. Baylor
19. Yale
20. Chicago Uof
21. Columbia
22. Stanford
23. Vanderbilt
24. North Carolina
25. Wisconsin
26. Iowa
27. NWern
28. Colorado

There's room I suppose for you to add Pitt at the end there, but the general gestault out "there" is not that Pitt is a "top 20" spot. The Gods of Critical Care live there and they have an extremely aggressive and well respected Cards program, but for general internal med . . . 2nd tier.

I would disagree with some of these...there is no way BIDMC deserves to be in the top 10, a sentiment not just a figment of my imagination, but echoed by a few other forum members. OHSU and Baylor are too high, Vandy is too low. There is NO WAY you can rank Pitt lower than Iowa and Wisconsin. I could stick out a neck and say that Baylor may be a better training program, but in the overall picture (stability, curriculum, fellowships, research opportunities) Pitt is better than Baylor (currently - things were different 5-6 years ago).

I think Pitt belongs, as most have said, in that 8-25 rank program slot, and if you want to be specific, I think it belongs currently in rank 20-25. I wont be surprised if it breaks into the top 20 soon.

Regarding your gestalt, I have spoken to a few program directors - most would consider Pitt a top 25, if not a top 20 program. (of course, each person's definition is different, but in general, it is considered to be a upper-mid tier program, as I said, at the lower end of the top 25 list.

Also regarding your fellowship comment - Besides PCCM and Cards, Pitt's Heme-Onc program is highly reputed (its not MSK, MD, DF, FC, FHCRC) but it still carries clout. They have some rather sweet Nephro research going on there, which has (potentially) changed nephro management practices recently (Paul Palevsky to name one researcher), they are ranked in the top 10 programs for Gastro....and are a huge transplant center (possibly one of the largest in the country).

Last edited:
I would disagree with some of these...there is no way BIDMC deserves to be in the top 10, a sentiment not just a figment of my imagination, but echoed by a few other forum members. OHSU and Baylor are too high, Vandy is too low. There is NO WAY you can rank Pitt lower than Iowa and Wisconsin. I could stick out a neck and say that Baylor may be a better training program, but in the overall picture (stability, curriculum, fellowships, research opportunities) Pitt is better than Baylor (currently - things were different 5-6 years ago).

I think Pitt belongs, as most have said, in that 8-25 rank program slot, and if you want to be specific, I think it belongs currently in rank 20-25. I wont be surprised if it breaks into the top 20 soon.

Regarding your gestalt, I have spoken to a few program directors - most would consider Pitt a top 25, if not a top 20 program. (of course, each person's definition is different, but in general, it is considered to be a upper-mid tier program, as I said, at the lower end of the top 25 list.

Obviously JDH has a different standard than I think the majority of us. I sense he has a bit of an anti-North/East, pro South/Midwest bias going on. Some would argue Pitt is even 10-15, I think it probably loses out some because people don't think highly of the city of Pittsburgh, even though I think it would be a great football town to live in.

While BIDMC may not be a top 10 program in terms of competitiveness, I feel it is probably a top 10 program in terms of career building opportunities, just because the sort of mentors you could probably develop connections with through the program.

I would disagree with some of these...there is no way BIDMC deserves to be in the top 10, a sentiment not just a figment of my imagination, but echoed by a few other forum members. OHSU and Baylor are too high, Vandy is too low . . . blah, blah, blah

:rolleyes:

What part of "not in specific order" did you not understand? I didn't even use any big words.

Look, I simply disagree about Pitt. You want to talk to your peeps and I can talk to my peeps and my peeps say Pitt is not a top 20 program. Who's anecdote wins? Anyone beginning to see why there is really no utility in these types of discussions?

It's an opinion. I respect yours, disagree with it, but it's hard to say one of us is wrong and the other correct.

Obviously JDH has a different standard than I think the majority of us. I sense he has a bit of an anti-North/East, pro South/Midwest bias going on. Some would argue Pitt is even 10-15, I think it probably loses out some because people don't think highly of the city of Pittsburgh, even though I think it would be a great football town to live in.

While BIDMC may not be a top 10 program in terms of competitiveness, I feel it is probably a top 10 program in terms of career building opportunities, just because the sort of mentors you could probably develop connections with through the program.

I would agree that everyone in this thread is way too concerned about what tier programs fall into. Lighten up people...go to the best program where you will be HAPPY.

My contribution to the quasi-flamewar:

I was recently fortunate to discuss IM programs (discussion was limited to the East coast/ Midwest/ ~South) with the Chair at one the top 10 programs (this institute is always w/i the top 10 programs on SDN lists) and this is what I got out of the discussion:

The following programs provide a solid IM education: MGH and BWH, MSSM, Columbia, UPenn, UPitt, UMich, Vandy, Duke, UNC, UTSW, Baylor, UofFL (whichever one is in Gainesville), and JHU. The chair did not mention BIDMC, Yale or Emory during our conversation, and I greatly regret not asking about them.

Now, this is just one person's opinion about programs at one point in time.

Oh bull****. I'm just calling it the way I see it. I'm not "anti-NE" by any stretch of the imagination.

I would agree that everyone in this thread is way too concerned about what tier programs fall into. Lighten up people...go to the best program where you will be HAPPY.

Most of happiness is internal disposition though...Those who are disposed to be happy will be happy at the majority of programs out there, and those who are disposed to be complainers/miserable, will likely be that at the vast majority of programs. A lot of people say to go by feel, but how you feel on interview day probably is a reflection of a number of things, including what you ate for breakfast and whether you had an adequate bowel movement that day or are constipated.

I think a better way to go about it is to consider your career goals, and to try to figure how people who had similar career goals as yours going into the program, wound up coming out of the program. This isn't easy to do, but I think it is a more objective standard.

Completely agree with what you have said.

:rolleyes:

What part of "not in specific order" did you not understand? I didn't even use any big words.

Look, I simply disagree about Pitt. You want to talk to your peeps and I can talk to my peeps and my peeps say Pitt is not a top 20 program. Who's anecdote wins? Anyone beginning to see why there is really no utility in these types of discussions?

It's an opinion. I respect yours, disagree with it, but it's hard to say one of us is wrong and the other correct.

Agreed.

Agreed.

My contribution to the quasi-flamewar:

I was recently fortunate to discuss IM programs (discussion was limited to the East coast/ Midwest/ ~South) with the Chair at one the top 10 programs (this institute is always w/i the top 10 programs on SDN lists) and this is what I got out of the discussion:

The following programs provide a solid IM education: MGH and BWH, MSSM, Columbia, UPenn, UPitt, UMich, Vandy, Duke, UNC, UTSW, Baylor, UofFL (whichever one is in Gainesville), and JHU. The chair did not mention BIDMC, Yale or Emory during our conversation, and I greatly regret not asking about them.

Now, this is just one person's opinion about programs at one point in time.

Interesting - I would love to know about that. But that chair is right. I can think why he didnt quote BIDMC, but I am surprised about Yale and Emory - especially if he included Baylor and UFl in that list.

Completely agree with what you have said.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Interesting - I would love to know about that. But that chair is right. I can think why he didnt quote BIDMC, but I am surprised about Yale and Emory - especially if he included Baylor and UFl in that list.

Well Cornell missed that list to. I don't think the chair meant to give out an all inclusive list...we are probably more obsessed with these things than they are, certainly. He just listed the ones that came to the top of his head as strong programs. I imagine this is the chair of Duke you're referencing.

Hi, I am interested in GI and would sincerely appreciate your kind input helping me rank:

UT Southwestern
Univ of Minnesota
Univ of Iowa
Univ of Arizona
U Mass
Henry ford
Washington Hospital center
Howard Univ
Western Penn
Drexel Univ/HUH
Univ of Kansas MC, Kansas City
Creighton Unive
Westchester Medical Center

I don't have geographic preference.. Thanks..

Hi, I am interested in GI and would sincerely appreciate your kind input helping me rank:

UT Southwestern
Univ of Minnesota
Univ of Iowa
Univ of Arizona
U Mass
Henry ford
Howard Univ
Western Penn
Drexel Univ/HUH
Creighton Univ

I think a few of those programs are clearly waaaay better than the rest when it comes to placement in competitive subspecialties (GI, cards)...If it were me I would be ranking UTSW and Iowa 1 and 2 respectively...I would rank Minnesota, Mass and NYMC 3, 4, 5...With regards to the rest, I would rank them based on my location/interview day feelings...Hope this helps and good luck! :D

UT Southwestern
Univ of Minnesota
Univ of Iowa
Univ of Arizona
U Mass
Henry ford
Howard Univ
Western Penn
Drexel Univ/HUH
Creighton Unive

SWern > Iowa > Minnesota . . . the rest . . . I'm sure so sure how to rank, but I think I'd stick the bigger university programs, like KU or UMass for instance, higher on your list, unless you saw decent GI placement from another program while on the interview trail.

I don't think there is any anti-North/East bias from jdh.

I also don't think Pitt is a top 25 program.

My medical training thus far has been limited to the south and on the east coast, but I hope I don't have much of an anti-NE bias here. I too agree with jdh that Pitt is not considered as a top 20-25 IM program at places where I have trained, though of course it has some well respected IM fellowships to which ResidentMD referred (not sure I would go so far to call GI dept at Pitt "top 10" either, but it is certainly a very strong program). My impression of Pitt has been that it is first and foremost known for its surgical departments, and later by association some of the medicine counterparts started to gain more prestige. For example, by virtue of it being a huge surgical transplant center, its hepatology programs started to thrive. Versus another hepatology program that may have built its reputation on more "medical" aspects of hepatology such as NAFLD, viral hepatitis, etc.

OTOH, I've seen some in these forums place BIDMC in the very top of tiers alongside JHH, MGH, and company. This is a sentiment that I do not share but certainly can respect given the career-building prospects available at BIDMC. Back when I applied to IM residency I put BIDMC in the category behind programs like Duke and Penn, and more in line with Mayo, UW, Michigan... a damn good group of programs nonetheless.

I love how people get so worked up over ranking programs--top tier, top tier part b, second tier, etc. For some reason, we all seem to be stuck in this pre-med competitive mode. Unfortunately, the competition doesn't seem to end even after getting into residency (fellowship applications suck), but it's helpful to remind yourself every once in a while that all of this is fairly useless (but somehow always entertaining).

Just make a list of the important things for you and rank accordingly. For me, the important things were (in no particular order):

(1) good location
(2) how the program treats their residents
(3) can you get the job or fellowship you want (ie- the rank list quality for the specialties you are interested in)
(4) call schedule

If #24 on some dude's list satisfies your requirements more than #17, then rank that one higher. It really does not matter how some dude ranks these programs on sdn.net.

Good luck to everyone going through the match this year, and ENJOY the rest of med school!

Hey everyone - here's another one. I have a rough idea of how I'm going to rank, but would appreciate seeing how others would approach this.

Going into hospital medicine - i.e., no fellowship. Probably see myself working for a Kaiser or private hospital/group. Priorities for me - 1) Solid clinical training, but without killing myself, 2) Prefer big, urban cities, 3) Ability to obtain a desirable hospitalist position fresh out of residency.

In no particular order:
Cedars-Sinai
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA-Harbor
Kaiser LA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Scripps Green
Scripps Mercy
CPMC
SCVMC

Any and all thoughts/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey everyone - here's another one. I have a rough idea of how I'm going to rank, but would appreciate seeing how others would approach this.

Going into hospital medicine - i.e., no fellowship. Probably see myself working for a Kaiser or private hospital/group. Priorities for me - 1) Solid clinical training, but without killing myself, 2) Prefer big, urban cities, 3) Ability to obtain a desirable hospitalist position fresh out of residency.

In no particular order:
Cedars-Sinai
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA-Harbor
Kaiser LA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Scripps Green
Scripps Mercy
CPMC
SCVMC

Any and all thoughts/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Any preference for North or SoCal?

Any preference for North or SoCal?

Not necessarily, although I rather suspect (not completely done with interviews yet) that my final ranking will be biased in favor of SoCal, since probably more programs there are in line with my priorities?

I can probably guess, but want to play anyway. Definitely want heme-onc fellowship; looking for cool but smart residents in a challenging but collegial environment.

Case Western
Ohio State
UMichigan
BID
UCLA
UPitt
UChicago
Northwestern
Tufts
UPenn

Thanks so much in advance!! :)

I can probably guess, but want to play anyway. Definitely want heme-onc fellowship; looking for cool but smart residents in a challenging but collegial environment.

Case Western
Ohio State
UMichigan
BID
UCLA
UPitt
UChicago
Northwestern
Tufts
UPenn

Thanks so much in advance!! :)

From memory:

UPenn and UCLA are very strong in H/O plus they send residents to strong programs.

UMich is considered strong in H/O and most residents stay there for fellowship.

BIDMC (many don't consider them very strong in Cards or GI based on their match list) and UChicago tend to send residents to phenomenal H/O fellowships (I have seen the list but can't remember the details).

I have no idea about the rest.

I'm an intern at Harbor and I think its a great place to train-- you get a lot of hands-on experience, you work hard, and people you work with are great-- both faculty and housestaff. As for pulm/crit care, as far as i know all of our residents who have wanted to do pulm/cc have matched successfully. Being a smaller county program allows for easy access to attendings and research while at the same time exposing you to a variety of pathology.

You want a SOCAL pulm/cc fellowship specifically, when UW is arguably the best pulm/cc program on the west coast? Ok. We can easily work with this.

So if we are interested in a SOCAL pulm/cc fellowship, then I like

UW > UCSD > Harbor > Cedars

The rest rank as you like

Although, out of that batch I personally like the looks of Harbor's pulm/cc in socal better; remember the higher up the academic food chain you do residency, the better your options.

Hi, if you're looking for a residency that will prepare you for anything in the hospitalist world I would advise you to consider harbor-ucla. its a strong im program-- lots of hands-on experience and autonomy. the residents who have graduated and gone into hospitalist medicine have all felt more than prepared for hospitalist work in the real world.

Could anyone offer some help ranking the following programs? I am leaning towards cards, but possibly GI as well.

University of Washington
OHSU
Univ. Colorado Denver
Brown
Georgetown
UVA
MUSC
Vandy

Thanks!

Could anyone offer some help ranking the following programs? I am leaning towards cards, but possibly GI as well.

University of Washington
OHSU
Univ. Colorado Denver
Brown
Georgetown
UVA
MUSC
Vandy

Thanks!

UW
OHSU
Vandy
UColorado
UVa
Georgetown
Brown
MUSC

Such a wide geographic spread though, that I think you have to consider location, especially when differentiating the top 3 which are in a group of their own, and then the remaining choices.

UW
OHSU
Vandy
UColorado
UVa
Georgetown
Brown
MUSC

Such a wide geographic spread though, that I think you have to consider location, especially when differentiating the top 3 which are in a group of their own, and then the remaining choices.[/QUOTE

Location is definitely important, I'm currently on the east coast, but considering relocating to the west. So Univ. Washington will likely be my number one, but I was unsure of how to rank OHSU vs. Colorado. Is OHSU a better program?

Location is definitely important, I'm currently on the east coast, but considering relocating to the west. So Univ. Washington will likely be my number one, but I was unsure of how to rank OHSU vs. Colorado. Is OHSU a better program?

They're fairly similar from a "prestige" standpoint. CU is a bigger program and tends to be a little busier plus you have a crap-ton of hospitals to rotate through. OHSU only covers 2 hospitals, all at the same location. I don't know anything about "resident happiness/camaraderie" @ CU but it's pretty good @ OHSU.

Fellowship placement will be similar from the two.

They're fairly similar from a "prestige" standpoint. CU is a bigger program and tends to be a little busier plus you have a crap-ton of hospitals to rotate through. OHSU only covers 2 hospitals, all at the same location. I don't know anything about "resident happiness/camaraderie" @ CU but it's pretty good @ OHSU.

Fellowship placement will be similar from the two.

The gossip is that there are some residents not happy with CU. Like you said its BIG and its BUSY, so that makes certain people not happy. I've not heard any gossip about "malignancy".

I tend to agree that I think "prestige" is fairly similar between the two. I give OHSU the edge overall I think.

UW
OHSU
Vandy
UColorado
UVa
Georgetown
Brown
MUSC

Such a wide geographic spread though, that I think you have to consider location, especially when differentiating the top 3 which are in a group of their own, and then the remaining choices.

Is OHSU really a stronger program than Vandy, or did you rank based on preference for the NW? I feel like in terms of prestige, a lot more people have heard of Vandy than OHSU, but I'm from the east so that may be why. Nothing against OHSU--I've heard great things about it as well, but usually from people who have spent time there.

University of Washington
OHSU
Univ. Colorado Denver
Brown
Georgetown
UVA
MUSC
Vandy

Thanks!
Vandy should be close to the top for cards. I interviewed there last year for the fast-track medicine/cardiology program (ABIM Research Track), and I can tell you that it was probably one of the most rigorous medicine programs I saw out there (rivaling what I saw in Boston and Baltimore), and they have a sick amount of NIH research dollars in their department of cardiology. To top that, they are nice people!

Last edited: