Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a Canadian IMG (Caribbean) so I don't have big names like most in this thread but what do you guys think of the following. I'm not dead-set on any fellowship and may want to be a hospitalist.

University Programs:
1. SUNY Buffalo - Buffalo, NY
2. Creighton University - Omaha, NE

Have Lots of Fellowships:
3. NY Hospital of Queens - Queens, NY
4. Maimonides - Brooklyn, NY
5. Allegheny-West Penn - Pittsburgh, PA

Few/No Fellowships:
6. Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati - Cincinnati, OH
7. Overlook Hospital - Summit, NJ
8. Saint Mary's Hospital - Waterbury, CT
9. Bassett Medical Center - Cooperstown, NY
10. Lutheran - Brooklyn, NY
11. Aultman-Mercy - Canton, OH

Not sure if I should even rank:
12. Woodhull - Brooklyn, NY - Very disorganized interview; Haven't heard good things
13. Long Island College Hospital - Brooklyn, NY - Hospital may close

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would love some input on my list... Will most likely subspecialize but am still open to hospitalist or primary care. I know these are all strong programs, so am trying to differentiate by atmosphere and geography - ideally, I'd find some combination of happy residents (want to work together, not compete), approachable attendings (less hierarchy), willing to work hard but not get killed, early/wide exposure to subspecialties, and chance to get outdoors in free time (love hiking, snow). Not really excited about the east coast, but open to it. Tried to rank in that order-ish. I know, vague and generic, but I'm young and naive so whatever.

Thoughts/free advice?

U Washington
UCSF
U Colorado
OHSU
Brigham & Women's
BIDMC
MGH

Members don't see this ad :)
Would love some input on my list... Will most likely subspecialize but am still open to hospitalist or primary care. I know these are all strong programs, so am trying to differentiate by atmosphere and geography - ideally, I'd find some combination of happy residents (want to work together, not compete), approachable attendings (less hierarchy), willing to work hard but not get killed, early/wide exposure to subspecialties, and chance to get outdoors in free time (love hiking, snow). Not really excited about the east coast, but open to it. Tried to rank in that order-ish. I know, vague and generic, but I'm young and naive so whatever.

Thoughts/free advice?

U Washington
UCSF
U Colorado
OHSU
Brigham & Women's
BIDMC
MGH

your list is whatever.

hiking? snow? go nuts and put OHSU and UCol higher

So I had posted a week ago, and got no response, so but any recommendations or impressions from the SDN network would be really helpful.

When looking at a program, I am really interested in the possibility for fellowship placement nationwide (looking at Cards vs Heme/Onc), significant academic culture, patient diversity (not racial, but rather diversity of pathology in terms of acuity vs. ambulatory), and a hospital that respects resident autonomy. All things being equal, location is somewhat important (i.e. city over small town), but this is not a deal-breaker. Here is my rank list with comments for the top 4.

RANK LIST
1. Colorado:

2. Mayo Clinic:

3. UPMC:

4. Michigan:
5. Baylor
6. USC
7. Jefferson
8. Cincinnati

Any suggestions, comments, interview impressions (especially for my top 4) would be infinitely helpful.

Thanks!

I like this list. It's probably how I'd list them (except I'd swap Mayo and Pitt).

Hey everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've got 3 somewhat similar programs here, in terms of mid-tier programs in their respective cities, the opportunity to work with an underserved patient population, diverse pathologies, and lots of autonomy. Location aside, any differences in national reputation, clinical training, mentorship, research opps, fellowship match potential? I'd be most interested in heme/onc, pulm/cc, or GI if I were to specialize. They all seemed to have decent fellowship matches, all with more regional distributions. I'd really appreciate anyone's input, thanks!

Albert Einstein montefiore> USC > UIC

Hey everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've got 3 somewhat similar programs here, in terms of mid-tier programs in their respective cities, the opportunity to work with an underserved patient population, diverse pathologies, and lots of autonomy. Location aside, any differences in national reputation, clinical training, mentorship, research opps, fellowship match potential? I'd be most interested in heme/onc, pulm/cc, or GI if I were to specialize. They all seemed to have decent fellowship matches, all with more regional distributions. I'd really appreciate anyone's input, thanks!

I would rank it USC > UIC > Albert Einstein, but I have a West Coast bias :)

It is true for Einstein you are in New York which is always fun, but I really, really, did not like the area where the hospital is located. Also, you don't have to do your blood draws in California which is a HUGE plus.

Okay I think i've got it. I'm going for a mix of academic powerhouse that will make me a strong applicant for pulm/cc fellowship and well rounded physician in general (i'm not afraid to work hard, I just want some remnant of a social life) as well as a fun city to live in for singles in their 20s, with no geographical barriers. Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially about putting northwestern above Wash U and Duke, to quote the guy below me, i dont know if i'm sacrificing to much for location.

MGH
Northwestern
Wash U
Duke
Emory
U of Colorado Denver
Hopkins Bayview
Baylor
Case Western
UAB
KU

Last edited:
I need help deciding which one of these I should rank higher: UTMB Galveston vs. University of Nevada Las Vegas.

I know UTMB is a better program, but location-wise Nevada is better for me due to family ties. I want to know if the difference between the two programs is that huge for me to sacrifice location. I probably will do fellowship, but I'm also open to practicing general medicine.

I need help deciding which one of these I should rank higher: UTMB Galveston vs. University of Nevada Las Vegas.

I know UTMB is a better program, but location-wise Nevada is better for me due to family ties. I want to know if the difference between the two programs is that huge for me to sacrifice location. I probably will do fellowship, but I'm also open to practicing general medicine.

UNLV has one fellowship (oncology) while UTMB has virtually all of them. UTMB also sends 70% of their grads into fellowships and is the bigger name in research. All of these bode well for you if you truly want to pursue a fellowship. While Las Vegas >>>>> Galveston in just about everything (except proximity to the ocean), it's up to you if you want to give up the nicer location for what's probably the better choice for fellowship. Ultimately, the program in which you would do the best work is what determines your future.

Last edited:
Interested in Geriatrics > Palliative Care >>> heme/onc

JHU Bayview
UCSF
Denver
BIDMC
Vandy
Dartmouth
Duke
MGH
BU
Yale
UCSD

Members don't see this ad :)
Interested in Geriatrics > Palliative Care >>> heme/onc

JHU Bayview
UCSF
Denver
BIDMC
Vandy
Dartmouth
Duke
MGH
BU
Yale
UCSD

Interesting list. All I can add is that you can't beat Bayview if you are interested in Geriatrics. I'm sure you already know that if you are ranking it first. Good luck.

are these in order? certainly doesn't look like it.

Yes, this is in order because of my interest in geriatrics/palliative care. Out of curiosity, how would you arrange this list?

That's how I would rank them. But a reasonable argument could be made for USC/Monte/UIC as well.

Okay I think i've got it. I'm going for a mix of academic powerhouse that will make me a strong applicant for pulm/cc fellowship and well rounded physician in general (i'm not afraid to work hard, I just want some remnant of a social life) as well as a fun city to live in for singles in their 20s, with no geographical barriers. Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially about putting northwestern above Wash U and Duke, to quote the guy below me, i dont know if i'm sacrificing to much for location.

MGH
Northwestern
Wash U
Duke
Emory
U of Colorado Denver
Hopkins Bayview
Baylor
Case Western
UAB
KU

Since I gave you s**t in your other thread, I'll say here that, with the exception of moving Colorado up higher, I don't think you could make a compelling argument to rank them any other way.

If it were my list I think the top 2 would be the same, then UC then the rest as you have them. While I wouldn't personally want to move back to St. Louis (I did my 5 years there and go back a few times a year to visit the wife's family and our friends), it's not that bad of a city and for 3 years it would be no worse than Baltimore, Cleveland, Birmingham or Raleigh/Durham.

Since I gave you s**t in your other thread, I'll say here that, with the exception of moving Colorado up higher, I don't think you could make a compelling argument to rank them any other way.

If it were my list I think the top 2 would be the same, then UC then the rest as you have them. While I wouldn't personally want to move back to St. Louis (I did my 5 years there and go back a few times a year to visit the wife's family and our friends), it's not that bad of a city and for 3 years it would be no worse than Baltimore, Cleveland, Birmingham or Raleigh/Durham.

Thanks.

Hey, guys. Long time reader and in need of opinions/advice with my list. Single guy with not many restrictions, would like to be in a program that isn't just a whole lot of couples. Maybe interested in a GI/Cards fellowship but not sure. Most importantly, a solid IM training for now with good opportunities down the road that doesn't close any doors. I'm a D.O. if that matters...

Here are my options:
1 - settled on UIC. Great PD. Great chiefs and educational atmosphere and a few personal reasons.

2-5
2 - UMinn. Pros: Solid city with multiple tracks, including med ed. Cons: pretty cold city, expensive.
3- MCW. Pros: solid program. close to chicago/friends. cheap place.
4 - IU. Pros: solid fellowship matches, good in-house opportunities. Cons: pretty isolated as far as family/friends.
5 - VCU. Great impression from program director. Great fellowship match. Better weather than the midwest, haha.

6-11
6 - Univ of Cincy. Pros - Med track. Young professionals. Not sure about the ambulatory block scheduling?
7 - GW - DC. Good opportunities with NIH (or at least that's how they sold it). Expensive!
8 - USF - great hospital, weather, location. Near family. Can anyone comment on its reputation?
9 - Loyola.
10- UF-Jacksonville
11- UConn - pretty isolated from friends/family.

More concerned about the upper part of the list. But suggestions as to how you would rank differently and why are welcome. What's most reputable between UMinn/IU/and MCW? Any other info or things I should consider about those programs from ppl who interviewed there are welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, guys. Long time reader and in need of opinions/advice with my list. Single guy with not many restrictions, would like to be in a program that isn't just a whole lot of couples. Maybe interested in a GI/Cards fellowship but not sure. Most importantly, a solid IM training for now with good opportunities down the road that doesn't close any doors. I'm a D.O. if that matters...

Here are my options:
1 - settled on UIC. Great PD. Great chiefs and educational atmosphere and a few personal reasons.

2-5
2 - UMinn. Pros: Solid city with multiple tracks, including med ed. Cons: pretty cold city, expensive.
3- MCW. Pros: solid program. close to chicago/friends. cheap place.
4 - IU. Pros: solid fellowship matches, good in-house opportunities. Cons: pretty isolated as far as family/friends.
5 - VCU. Great impression from program director. Great fellowship match. Better weather than the midwest, haha.

6-11
6 - Univ of Cincy. Pros - Med track. Young professionals. Not sure about the ambulatory block scheduling?
7 - GW - DC. Good opportunities with NIH (or at least that's how they sold it). Expensive!
8 - USF - great hospital, weather, location. Near family. Can anyone comment on its reputation?
9 - Loyola.
10- UF-Jacksonville
11- UConn - pretty isolated from friends/family.

More concerned about the upper part of the list. But suggestions as to how you would rank differently and why are welcome. What's most reputable between UMinn/IU/and MCW? Any other info or things I should consider about those programs from ppl who interviewed there are welcome.

Thanks!

I would rank UMinn above UIC, and IU above MCW. If it were my list it would be:
UMinn
IU
MCW/UIC

But if you like them the way you have them, go for it.

UNLV has one fellowship (oncology) while UTMB has virtually all of them. UTMB also sends 70% of their grads into fellowships and is the bigger name in research. All of these bode well for you if you truly want to pursue a fellowship. While Las Vegas >>>>> Galveston in just about everything (except proximity to the ocean), it's up to you if you want to give up the nicer location for what's probably the better choice for fellowship. Ultimately, the program in which you would do the best work is what determines your future.

Thank you!

Yes, this is in order because of my interest in geriatrics/palliative care. Out of curiosity, how would you arrange this list?

well if you have a very specific interest that you know won't change then it's settled. not sure why you're asking.

I would rank UMinn above UIC, and IU above MCW. If it were my list it would be:
UMinn
IU
MCW/UIC

But if you like them the way you have them, go for it.

Thanks gutonc! :thumbup: appreciate the recs.

As far as 1 vs 2 in your scenario, are UMinn and IU interchangeable, or is UMinn a slight step above IU in terms of training/reputation?

Also, any thoughts on VCU/Cincy/GW? While I don't seem to have any issue with any of these programs, hopefully I don't fall that down the list.

Oh SDN God, I pray to you for guidance on my ROL. I think that my order is a wise decision with 95% confidence.

Looking for solid IM program with a good rep. I'm interested in cards.
1. Emory vs UAB (solid programs compared to the rest, leaning to Emory b/c it's ATL not Birmingham)
2. Maryland (I think this is the next best in terms of strength, PD support, nat'l rep)
3. MUSC (like the weather and city more)
4. Boston
5. Einstein/Monte
6. UMass

.Need help with the top of my list....any thoughts, cuz i change my mind everyday. Looking for good fellowship placements. Thanks!!

1. Tulane??
2. Univ. of MD
3. BU
4. USC
5. Thomas Jeff
6. VCU
7. Tufts
8. UIC
9. Ohio State
10. Case W.
11. Rochester

Hey guys, I am interested in heme/onc and could use some advice on rank list. I'm going to be doing the whole long distance relationship thing and I'm torn between UTSW (family there, closest to my S.O, but still a few hours away), Wash U (absolutely loved this program), UNC, UCSD. I liked UTSW, but am definitely freaked out by its "malignant"super high stress reputation. What do you think?

Thank you!

Thanks gutonc! :thumbup: appreciate the recs.

As far as 1 vs 2 in your scenario, are UMinn and IU interchangeable, or is UMinn a slight step above IU in terms of training/reputation?

Also, any thoughts on VCU/Cincy/GW? While I don't seem to have any issue with any of these programs, hopefully I don't fall that down the list.

UMinn>IU but not massively. But MSP >>>> Indiancrapolis.

No comments on your other 3. From a national reputation standpoint GW>VCU=Cinci.

.Need help with the top of my list....any thoughts, cuz i change my mind everyday. Looking for good fellowship placements. Thanks!!

1. Tulane??
2. Univ. of MD
3. BU
4. USC
5. Thomas Jeff
6. VCU
7. Tufts
8. UIC
9. Ohio State
10. Case W.
11. Rochester

Move Tulane down between TJ and VCU, move OSU up top, call it a day.

Oh SDN God, I pray to you for guidance on my ROL. I think that my order is a wise decision with 95% confidence.

Looking for solid IM program with a good rep. I'm interested in cards.
1. Emory vs UAB (solid programs compared to the rest, leaning to Emory b/c it's ATL not Birmingham)
2. Maryland (I think this is the next best in terms of strength, PD support, nat'l rep)
3. MUSC (like the weather and city more)
4. Boston
5. Einstein/Monte
6. UMass

Nothing wrong with this list. I'd put UAB above Emory and Monte and BU (I assume you're not talking about the entire city of Boston) above MUSC but it's your list.

Hey guys, I am interested in heme/onc and could use some advice on rank list. I'm going to be doing the whole long distance relationship thing and I'm torn between UTSW (family there, closest to my S.O, but still a few hours away), Wash U (absolutely loved this program), UNC, UCSD. I liked UTSW, but am definitely freaked out by its "malignant"super high stress reputation. What do you think?

Thank you!

Flip a coin between UTSW and WashU. Then flip another coin between UNC and UCSD.

Look at that, you're done.

I like this list. It's probably how I'd list them (except I'd swap Mayo and Pitt).

Thanks gutonc! Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Pitt vs. Mayo? Are you basing the switch primarily on location or are there are other factors?

hello everyone...

really struggling between these programs. All primary care tracks.

NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Yale (Ct)
Montefiore

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all-

I have narrowed my top 2 to UC-Denver and UVM. I am from the east coast, so UVM is closer to home and I generally had a better feeling there (loved the residents, etc). I do not need a big city and really liked Burlington. My wife and I are big fans of the outdoors. I realize UC-Denver is ranked higher on these SDN forums...what are people's thoughts on UVM and putting it ahead of UC? I realize this is my decision but wanted input from others. Thank you.

Would appreciate some help from gutonc and others on ranking the following. Interested in fellowship but not sure what yet (maybe cards or heme/onc).
In some sort of order mostly based on gut feeling...

Dartmouth
RWJ
Monte
Jefferson
NS-LIJ
Temple
U Rochester
NJMS
Stony Brook
Drexel

How would Yale PC fit into the above?

Thoughts? List is made from a mixture of location preferences and program strength.

1. Georgetown
2. Tufts
3. Emory
4. Temple
5. Rush
6. USC
7. VCU
8. Einstein/Beth Israel
9. Case UH
10. Wake Forest
11. AGH/West Penn

Would appreciate some help from gutonc and others on ranking the following. Interested in fellowship but not sure what yet (maybe cards or heme/onc).
In some sort of order mostly based on gut feeling...

Dartmouth
RWJ
Monte
Jefferson
NS-LIJ
Temple
U Rochester
NJMS
Stony Brook
Drexel

How would Yale PC fit into the above?

I'd probably leave the list as it is and put Yale at the top.

Hi!

I'd appreciate any input about the any of the schools. I'm interested in critical care and global health work...and, most importantly, being happy and having some amount of outside life during residency.

UPMC
Sinai
Dartmouth
Rochester
Cornell
Monte
Temple
RWJ

Thanks!

Hi!

I'd appreciate any input about the any of the schools. I'm interested in critical care and global health work...and, most importantly, being happy and having some amount of outside life during residency.

UPMC
Sinai
Dartmouth
Rochester
Cornell
Monte
Temple
RWJ

Thanks!

I think your list is really good, I think people will argue about putting Cornell higher but you probably got a better feel @ Dartmouth and Rochester with the residents. You have alot of good places, good luck!

Move Tulane down between TJ and VCU, move OSU up top, call it a day.

Thanks for the input, but any reason in particular for moving tulane down and OSU up?

top four -- two tiers.

Top tier: Vanderbilt vs CO
2nd tier: Mayo vs Utah

thanks

Just an observation, but not many on here looking to move/stay/consider training at the florida programs --- Having some knowledge about the GME crisis in florida, it appears that matching at a program in florida may only become more tough --

FYI - by the florida GME crisis I am referring to the overabundance of medical schools (Allopathic - UF, FSU, UM, USF, UCF, FIU, FAU; Osteopathic - NOVA and LECOM-B) and the dearth of academic GME programs in florida (UF, USF, UM, and mayo-jax, uf-jax)

I'm looking for some advice on the order of my rank list. Interested in cardiology and having a hard time deciding between my top two programs. Advice appreciated.

1. Utah
2. Wisconsin
3. Indiana
4. Iowa
5. Minnesota
6. CCF
7...and the rest

Thanks!

Hi all, i'm having a terrible time trying to decide how to rank these three on my list. Currently I have:

Cedars
USC
UC Davis

Would love to hear how everyone feels about the program strengths and matching for fellowship. I plan to do a fellowship, not sure in what. Thanks!

I'm interesting in pursuing a fellowship in Cards/GI. Location is important to me because I'm single and I'd prefer urban/semi-urban but program strength is a slightly more of a priority. Currently, I have (in order):

Wisconsin
Georgetown
Minnesota
Mayo Rochester
UIC
Tulane
Montefiore
USC

Thanks for your input!

I'm interesting in pursuing a fellowship in Cards/GI. Location is important to me because I'm single and I'd prefer urban/semi-urban but program strength is a slightly more of a priority. Currently, I have (in order):

Wisconsin
Georgetown
Minnesota
Mayo Rochester
UIC
Tulane
Montefiore
USC

Thanks for your input!

Liking this. Put Georgetown below Mayo and you're golden.

I'm interested in cardiology, GI, and heme/onc. I'm torn between Hopkins and UCSF.

Tier 1:
Johns Hopkins
UCSF

Tier 2:
3. U of Chicago (loved the people here)
4. Columbia
5. U of Washington
6. Northwestern