Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your suggestion! Any particular reason for the swap? Reputation? My impression was that UMass is a closed environment; people tend to get in-house fellowships, rather than having a chance to go to more reputed fellowship programs.

I would be wary of that "closed loop" phenomenon. A lot of people make those choices for non-training reasons. And yes, your chance of getting a non-NYC fellowship will be better coming from UMass than SLR. It definitely has a better rep. If your goal is MSKCC or bust, you probably have a better (not good, just better) chance if you go to SLR and get all up on somebody's business at MSKCC. But other places on your list are probably a better choice.
 
Why is UMass always praised here? Their fellowship match list from 2010, 2011 & 2012 is mostly inhouse and not that great from the start (except for maybe 1 or 2 exceptions to good outside universities like hem/onc at yale once after an mph).
Their board pass rates in the last "9 years" has always been in the low 80s high 70s, so pretty bad on average
 
Made the rest of my ROL. Dont know how to rank these:
Any help will be much appreciated. I am looking for academic standing and cards fellowship. 😕

Albert Einstein Beth Israel
Albany medical center
Henry ford hospital
MSU East Lansing
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any insight would be much appreciated. Looking towards a fellowship in GI or hem/onc. Ranked in order. Thanks in advance...

Ohio State University
University of Illinois Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
CCF - Ohio
Rush
Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak
Wayne State - DMC
University of Cincinnati
Northshore- Evanston
Wright State
St Vincent - Indy
 
Here is my current ROL. Interested in GI or Hem/Onc...any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!! Thanks as always guys!!

1. University of Louisville
2. UTMB- Galveston
3. University of Utah
4. West virginia university
5. UTHSC San Antonio
6. University of Kentucky
7. University of Arizona
8. University of Oklahoma
9. Medical College of Georgia
10. Albany Medical Center
 
Any insight would be much appreciated. Looking towards a fellowship in GI or hem/onc. Ranked in order. Thanks in advance...

Ohio State University
University of Illinois Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
CCF - Ohio
Rush
Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak
Wayne State - DMC
University of Cincinnati
Northshore- Evanston
Wright State
St Vincent - Indy

Looks good to me. OSU as #1 is a no-brainer...the next 3 are a toss-up.
 
Here is my current ROL. Interested in GI or Hem/Onc...any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!! Thanks as always guys!!

1. University of Louisville
2. UTMB- Galveston
3. University of Utah
4. West virginia university
5. UTHSC San Antonio
6. University of Kentucky
7. University of Arizona
8. University of Oklahoma
9. Medical College of Georgia
10. Albany Medical Center

Utah is head an shoulders above the rest of those programs and should be #1. The rest of them are pretty similar and you won't go wrong with the order they're in.
 
Made the rest of my ROL. Dont know how to rank these:
Any help will be much appreciated. I am looking for academic standing and cards fellowship. 😕

Albert Einstein Beth Israel
Albany medical center
Henry ford hospital
MSU East Lansing
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate

Upstate is probably the best of those programs but it's not like it's massively better. I'd rank Albany and Henry Ford ahead of Einstein/BI too...or not. Whatever.
 
I'm having trouble deciding how to rank some programs on my list and would love to hear your opinions. I will probably rank to stay in NY and have only listed those programs below. I applied/interviewed for Physician-Scientist tracks with the intention of fellowship in Heme/Onc, but I'll call it a 20% chance that I end up changing for something more procedural such as Cardiology and want to keep that door open.

Rank 1/2: Columbia vs Cornell
Pros/Cons/Considerations:
-Columbia IM training seems excellent and I like the two attending system, whereas Cornell seemed to be service heavy at the expense of teaching.
-Overall, Columbia seems to match better for fellowship - especially for Cards - however, Cornell Heme/Onc exposure is much better with the MSKCC affiliation and may come with a fellowship guarantee...
-I'm concerned about Columbia's malignant reputation - I didn't get that impression on interview day, but perhaps I'm not very perceptive...
-Bottom Line: Columbia overall seems like the stronger program, but I wonder whether Cornell makes more sense because of the opportunities in oncology at MSKCC


Rank 3/4: Mount Sinai vs NYU
Pros/Cons/Considerations:
-Didn't get much of a feel for the NYU program because the residents were largely dispersed due to Sandy, but the program leadership seemed supportive and committed.
-Mount Sinai leadership has all recently changed, but it seems like the residents are happy with the choices and also, seem happy with their program which seems to place a heavy emphasis on teaching and education.
-Neither NYU nor Sinai have particularly strong Oncology, but both have recently brought in new leadership for their cancer centers and seem committed to growing their oncology
-I gather from this board that Sinai has better Cards fellowship opportunities, but I don't pretend to know anything more than that
-Bottom Line: My impression is that both of these programs offer similarly strong training by different methods; at NYU you learn through the experience of working with the varied and underserved population at Bellvue, whereas at Sinai your clinical exposure may be somewhat less varied and hectic, but the didactics are strong
 
I'm having trouble deciding how to rank some programs on my list and would love to hear your opinions. I will probably rank to stay in NY and have only listed those programs below. I applied/interviewed for Physician-Scientist tracks with the intention of fellowship in Heme/Onc, but I'll call it a 20% chance that I end up changing for something more procedural such as Cardiology and want to keep that door open.

Rank 1/2: Columbia vs Cornell
Pros/Cons/Considerations:
-Columbia IM training seems excellent and I like the two attending system, whereas Cornell seemed to be service heavy at the expense of teaching.
-Overall, Columbia seems to match better for fellowship - especially for Cards - however, Cornell Heme/Onc exposure is much better with the MSKCC affiliation and may come with a fellowship guarantee...
-I'm concerned about Columbia's malignant reputation - I didn't get that impression on interview day, but perhaps I'm not very perceptive...
-Bottom Line: Columbia overall seems like the stronger program, but I wonder whether Cornell makes more sense because of the opportunities in oncology at MSKCC


Rank 3/4: Mount Sinai vs NYU
Pros/Cons/Considerations:
-Didn't get much of a feel for the NYU program because the residents were largely dispersed due to Sandy, but the program leadership seemed supportive and committed.
-Mount Sinai leadership has all recently changed, but it seems like the residents are happy with the choices and also, seem happy with their program which seems to place a heavy emphasis on teaching and education.
-Neither NYU nor Sinai have particularly strong Oncology, but both have recently brought in new leadership for their cancer centers and seem committed to growing their oncology
-I gather from this board that Sinai has better Cards fellowship opportunities, but I don't pretend to know anything more than that
-Bottom Line: My impression is that both of these programs offer similarly strong training by different methods; at NYU you learn through the experience of working with the varied and underserved population at Bellvue, whereas at Sinai your clinical exposure may be somewhat less varied and hectic, but the didactics are strong

#firstworldproblems

None of those programs will close any doors for you. The difference in the doors they will open will be more dependent on you finding the right research mentors than anything specific to the IM training. Rank them the way you liked them.

Personally:
Cornell (assuming you get the promise of an MSKCC H/O spot, otherwise this goes to 3)
MSSM (My #2 program back in the day. Would have been psyched to match there)
Columbia (not a fan of the vibe there, huge fan of the opportunities)
NYU (Ah hellz no...I ain't gonna work that hard if I don't have to)
 
#firstworldproblems

None of those programs will close any doors for you. The difference in the doors they will open will be more dependent on you finding the right research mentors than anything specific to the IM training. Rank them the way you liked them.

Personally:
Cornell (assuming you get the promise of an MSKCC H/O spot, otherwise this goes to 3)
MSSM (My #2 program back in the day. Would have been psyched to match there)
Columbia (not a fan of the vibe there, huge fan of the opportunities)
NYU (Ah hellz no...I ain't gonna work that hard if I don't have to)

So NYU is a tough program? Man, I worry about my ability to tease these things out on interview day!!

Thanks Gutonc - for your responses here and elsewhere.
 
I'm a DO currently hoping to eventually end up in GI or Heme/Onc. I'm mainly unsure of how the top 5 compare in terms of academic reputation. Any help is appreciated!

Current ROL:

1. Medical College of Wisconsin
2. Cleveland Clinic (had a great interview day experience, but a little wary based on all the criticism of the program here on SDN)
3. Rush
4. Loyola
5. University of Minnesota (loved this place, but a little far from my home base of Chicago)
6. University of Chicago - NorthShore
7. Advocate Lutheran General
8. University of Kentucky
---
9. UIC - Christ
10. CWRU - MetroHealth
11. Southern Illinois University
 
Utah is head an shoulders above the rest of those programs and should be #1. The rest of them are pretty similar and you won't go wrong with the order they're in.

Thanks for your response gutonc!

Just to compare my top 3, I think Louisville is an ideal location and it is in a right size of a city, not too big and not too small. I felt at home with the PD's and residents during my interview and the PD has been there like 14 years so I know she's not going anywhere and will fight her butt off to get her residents to where they want to go. They do well matching Cards and GI, and after talking to the PD and some of the chiefs it seems as if whoever wants to do Hem/Onc pretty much gets a fellowship at great places as well.

UTMB Galveston- they're not as strong in the so-called top 3(cards, gi, hemonc) but 70% of the residents still go into fellowships. Galveston itself is kind of a boring spot, but it is only an hour away from Houston. So cheap living with access to a major city. It is closer to my home, but I am definitely willing to move away for a better program!

Utah- I was blown away by this program when I visited. They are very strong in fellowship matching. All the residents were happy and loved being there. I just wasn't too fond of Salt Lake City. Personally, I'm not very outdoorsy at all and besides skiing and their really nice mall I didn't find much else to do over my weekend there during my interview. It was however a very clean, quiet, and interesting place so it may even be a good thing during the residency/fellowship years.

The rest... I'm just going to leave them as they are. I'm just very confused over the order I should rank these top 3. I've received excellent feedback from all of them, and I'd honestly be happy at any of the 3. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best clinical training and preparedness I can get for fellowship placement and to become the best physician I can be in the future.

So it would be incredibly helpful if anyone could give me their own opinions of these 3 programs individually if you know anything at all about them!!

Again, thanks guys! SDN is the best!
 
Last edited:
I'm debating how to rank these programs and would love to hear your opinions. At this point, I think I'm tired of being in school and won't want to specialize but may decide to do a fellowship if I fall in love (maybe pulm CC or GI)... So I'm looking for a program that will provide good general IM training but also decent fellowship opportunities. Let me know what you think..

1. Vanderbilt- Liked the program, the residents, unsure if PD change is going to affect the program. Not sure if I'm 100% sold on Nashville though...

2. Ohio State- Had a really great interview day (arguable the best). Combing the thread has had mixed opinions about the culture there. Not sure if my good interview day was a fluke??

3/4 Rochester v Michigan-
Rochester- Liked the program and residents. New PD seems a bit awkward. Seems
like I would get good IM training. Not sure about fellowship opportunities.
Michigan- Seems like a great program but worried about malignancy (per threads) and
didn't really fit in with all the residents. Should it be higher?

5. Wash U- Liked the interview day, but St. Louis is far from home and worried about dangerous rep of the city. Its a great program... should I put fears aside and rank it higher?

6. UVA

7. U. Maryland
 
I'm a DO currently hoping to eventually end up in GI or Heme/Onc. I'm mainly unsure of how the top 5 compare in terms of academic reputation. Any help is appreciated!

Current ROL:

1. Medical College of Wisconsin
2. Cleveland Clinic (had a great interview day experience, but a little wary based on all the criticism of the program here on SDN)
3. Rush
4. Loyola
5. University of Minnesota (loved this place, but a little far from my home base of Chicago)
6. University of Chicago - NorthShore
7. Advocate Lutheran General
8. University of Kentucky
---
9. UIC - Christ
10. CWRU - MetroHealth
11. Southern Illinois University

Unless you absolutely have to stay in Chicago (in which case your ROL makes no sense), UMinn should be #1. I'd probably put CCF #2 after that and have MCW @ 3.

Besides, Minneapolis is the best non-Chicago city on your list and it's only 40 minutes farther away from Chicago than Lexington and Cleveland.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm debating how to rank these programs and would love to hear your opinions. At this point, I think I'm tired of being in school and won't want to specialize but may decide to do a fellowship if I fall in love (maybe pulm CC or GI)... So I'm looking for a program that will provide good general IM training but also decent fellowship opportunities. Let me know what you think..

1. Vanderbilt- Liked the program, the residents, unsure if PD change is going to affect the program. Not sure if I'm 100% sold on Nashville though...

2. Ohio State- Had a really great interview day (arguable the best). Combing the thread has had mixed opinions about the culture there. Not sure if my good interview day was a fluke??

3/4 Rochester v Michigan-
Rochester- Liked the program and residents. New PD seems a bit awkward. Seems
like I would get good IM training. Not sure about fellowship opportunities.
Michigan- Seems like a great program but worried about malignancy (per threads) and
didn't really fit in with all the residents. Should it be higher?

5. Wash U- Liked the interview day, but St. Louis is far from home and worried about dangerous rep of the city. Its a great program... should I put fears aside and rank it higher?

6. UVA

7. U. Maryland

I assume you mean University of Rochester, not Mayo-Rochester.

Aside from Rochester having no business being in your top 5, the list looks good to me. Based on "program strength" followed by location I'd probably rank them:

Vandy
WU
Michigan
OSU
UVA=Maryland
Rochester (if you actually meant Mayo then this should be #4)
 
I assume you mean University of Rochester, not Mayo-Rochester.

Aside from Rochester having no business being in your top 5, the list looks good to me. Based on "program strength" followed by location I'd probably rank them:

Vandy
WU
Michigan
OSU
UVA=Maryland
Rochester (if you actually meant Mayo then this should be #4)

Different strokes...just as a heads up, I would go:

Mich
WU/Vandy based on location preference and research interest
OSU
the rest

Mich works you hard but I would not consider it malignant. I ranked it highly on my own personal list "back in the day" [last year, haha].
 
Hi again, I posted mine about a week earlier but did not get any response so..
interested in GI...

1. NYU
2. GWU
3. Tufts
4. NS-LIJ
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. UMDNJ - RWJ
7. UMaryland

Many thanks!
 
Hi All--Appreciate the help/comments/suggestions.
Preliminary Rank List (Love the south!!). Interested in GI. Have some prior research. Would like to live in a fun city without closing any doors for fellowship. Thanks so much
MUSC
UTSW
Emory
UAB
UVA
Georgetown
UC-Denver
UF
Baylor
 
Last edited:
Great thread! I would appreciate your help in ranking the following programs. Interested in cards fellowship. No geographic preference (though not a big fan of NY). My current list is as follows

1-Indiana
2-Iowa
3-St. Louis
4-CCF
5-Monte
6-UMDNJ-NJMS
7-UTMB
8-BI-NY

I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!
 
Great thread! I would appreciate your help in ranking the following programs. Interested in cards fellowship. No geographic preference (though not a big fan of NY). My current list is as follows

1-Indiana
2-Iowa
3-St. Louis
4-CCF
5-Monte
6-UMDNJ-NJMS
7-UTMB
8-BI-NY

I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

1. CCF
2. Indiana
3. Iowa

The rest.
 
Finished my interview season late for various reasons... but here is my rank list as it sits right now. My #1-4 switch around like every minute. I could definitely use some advice with my list. My current interests are heme/onc, maybe pulm. critical care, or even cards.? Not sure. I'd also prefer a program with some kind of +1/+2 schedule, collegial residents who get along, but with great general IM training as well.

Social-wise, I would like to live somewhere with a decent bit of diversity, both in things to do and people in the area, especially as a single dude, don't want to be in a program with only married or significantly involved residents.

1 - 4: OHSU, UNC - Chapel Hill, Brown (both GIM and categorical), UCLA - Olive View

5-6. Albert Einstein - Montefiore, University of Maryland - toss up between the two. U of Maryland seemed to have a high patient census on gen med wards of 20???? Residents seemed overworked. By a lot.
7. UIC
8. U of Wisconsin - Solid fellowship match is the only reason why I'd want to go here.
9-10. UCI/Tulane - I like being in SoCal, but Tulane has an awesome PD and the 4+1 program. Sort of a toss up between the two.
11. Utah - Didn't get a good feel on my interview day.
12. Dartmouth - I love everything about this program, except the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere NH, with no diversity. I like my ethnic foods!

- UNC would be my #1 if it wasn't in the South... not sure how I feel about moving to the South since I'm from the westcoast. Otherwise, I liked the program, the residents were great, impressive fellowship match, just got a good vibe from the program.
- OHSU, I love this program! The PD is great, they have an awesome 3+1 program, I got along great with the residents on an away rotation. Just fantastic. Probably in my top two. Worried about program being too cush, and not having enough diversity in the patient population.
- Brown, this program also impressed me, laid back but solid residents. I think they may be switching to a +1 program shortly? Not quite sure about Providence, RI but it is close to Boston.
- UCLA - Olive View, as I posted in the UCLA OV thread, I was thoroughly impressed with this program and wonder why it isn't more popular. Great PD, great chair, the chiefs impressed me, great county pathology, and decent (but not great) fellowship match. Only thing holding me back is if I wanted to do GI or Cards, how possible would it be to get a research mentor, etc. Otherwise, along with OHSU, I really meshed well with the residents. I had that "gut feeling" about the place when I interviewed... worried it's not "academic" enough.

Please help!
 
- UNC would be my #1 if it wasn't in the South... not sure how I feel about moving to the South since I'm from the westcoast. Otherwise, I liked the program, the residents were great, impressive fellowship match, just got a good vibe from the program.
- OHSU, I love this program! The PD is great, they have an awesome 3+1 program, I got along great with the residents on an away rotation. Just fantastic. Probably in my top two. Worried about program being too cush, and not having enough diversity in the patient population.
- Brown, this program also impressed me, laid back but solid residents. I think they may be switching to a +1 program shortly? Not quite sure about Providence, RI but it is close to Boston.
- UCLA - Olive View, as I posted in the UCLA OV thread, I was thoroughly impressed with this program and wonder why it isn't more popular. Great PD, great chair, the chiefs impressed me, great county pathology, and decent (but not great) fellowship match. Only thing holding me back is if I wanted to do GI or Cards, how possible would it be to get a research mentor, etc. Otherwise, along with OHSU, I really meshed well with the residents. I had that "gut feeling" about the place when I interviewed... worried it's not "academic" enough.

Please help!

UNC - yes it has the Southern charm, but in many ways the Triangle is transitioning to more of a Mid-Atlantic feel given all the transplants from the Northeast and elsewhere. Lots to do. Less Southern than other southeast cities. Great foodie food in the area. All ethnic food represented but not incredibly robust hole-in-the-wall mom and pop kind of places. Lots of married folk.

Brown - lots of great food given Johnson and Wales grads in the city who open up exciting restaurants.

Dartmouth - FWIW, there's one of each an Indian place, Chinese place, Korean-Japanese, and Thai, plus standard American fare - including famed Lou's breakfast. If Vermont is the least diverse state in the nation, NH can't be far behind.
 
Hi again, I posted mine about a week earlier but did not get any response so..
interested in GI...

1. NYU
2. GWU
3. Tufts
4. NS-LIJ
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. UMDNJ - RWJ
7. UMaryland

Many thanks!

1. nyu
2. umd
3. tj
4. tufts
5. rwj
6. gwu
7. ns lij
 
Hi All--Appreciate the help/comments/suggestions.
Preliminary Rank List (Love the south!!). Interested in GI. Have some prior research. Would like to live in a fun city without closing any doors for fellowship. Thanks so much
MUSC
UTSW
Emory
UAB
UVA
Georgetown
UC-Denver
UF
Baylor

Most of the programs on your list shouldn't really close any doors in terms of fellowship potential and are considered top training programs within the south i.e UAB/emory/UTSW. I also liked UC when I interviewed there but Denver is a little too isolated for me. I probably would rank them a little differently but again its your list so go with what you like. I didn't interview at MUSC so don't really know much about them but I do know that the chief of our GI division just left to become the new chair of medicine there.
 
Last edited:
I know Rank is my responsibility. however I need your suggestions. thanks

1-Texas Tech El paso
2- Meharry Medical Collage ( if you have any information about this program please share it)
3- St. luke's hospital, MO
in term of fellowship placement and environment

Thank you and good luck
 
I know Rank is my responsibility. however I need your suggestions. thanks

1-Texas Tech El paso
2- Meharry Medical Collage ( if you have any information about this program please share it)
3- St. luke's hospital, MO
in term of fellowship placement and environment

Thank you and good luck

The order you have them in is probably reasonable. Although I admit I have no 1st, 2nd or even 3rd hand information about any of these places specifically.
 
I know Rank is my responsibility. however I need your suggestions. thanks

1-Texas Tech El paso
2- Meharry Medical Collage ( if you have any information about this program please share it)
3- St. luke's hospital, MO
in term of fellowship placement and environment

Thank you and good luck
any one has info?
 
Hi everyone, I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with these California programs. I'm interested in GI, and would like to do a fellowship out west when the time comes. My tentative list is:

1. California Pacific
2. Cedars Sinai
3. UC Irvine
4. USC
5. Scripps Green

CPMC is #1 mainly for the good vibes I got from it, as well as location. I know that Cedars generally has a better GI match... but is the difference like night and day? Or more like evening / slightly later evening?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am unsure of the middle of my rank list. I value fellowship chances & good clinical training, then location. Looking into Hem/Onc & Pulm/CC, but also want to have some chances for GI/cards.

1) Einstein Philly (excellent for Pulm & Onc, GI mainly inhouse, cards varies)
2) Drexel (no info on 2013 match, seems medium but people match in east coast)
3) Methodist Houston (has superb match for 2013: 5 cards, NIH-Hem/Onc this and last year)
4) U Louisville (many get GI & Cards, mostly in kentucky)
5) Pennsylvania Hospital Philly (has some good matches because of electives/research at UPenn)
6) St Luke Roosevelt (location, had better matches in the past compared to 2013)
7) UConn (medium, 2013 good for pulm & cards, tough for hemonc & GI??')
8) UMass (lot of researchmoney, matching mainly inhouse, very bad board pass rate)
9) UT San Antonio (good mainly inhouse matching in all fellowships)


Am I crazy to put these (semi) community places above universities, eventhough UConn & UMass don't seem to have the pull as the other places top on my rol. Thanks!
 
I am unsure of the middle of my rank list. I value fellowship chances & good clinical training, then location. Looking into Hem/Onc & Pulm/CC, but also want to have some chances for GI/cards.

1) Einstein Philly (excellent for Pulm & Onc, GI mainly inhouse, cards varies)
2) Drexel (no info on 2013 match, seems medium but people match in east coast)
3) Methodist Houston (has superb match for 2013: 5 cards, NIH-Hem/Onc this and last year)
4) U Louisville (many get GI & Cards, mostly in kentucky)
5) Pennsylvania Hospital Philly (has some good matches because of electives/research at UPenn)
6) St Luke Roosevelt (location, had better matches in the past compared to 2013)
7) UConn (medium, 2013 good for pulm & cards, tough for hemonc & GI??')
8) UMass (lot of researchmoney, matching mainly inhouse, very bad board pass rate)
9) UT San Antonio (good mainly inhouse matching in all fellowships)


Am I crazy to put these (semi) community places above universities, eventhough UConn & UMass don't seem to have the pull as the other places top on my rol. Thanks!

Drexel's 2012 fellowship match results (for the fellows starting in 2013) is in the back of their information packet.
 
Last edited:
you mean from Dec 5th 2012 for the 2013 graduates? I interviewed there very early and don't have it. Could you post it here?

7 Cards - 4 in house and the rest at Stony Brook, Scripps, Ochsner, and Deborah Heart and Lung Center

5 GI - 3 in house and the others at Henry Ford and Lankenau
 
1. USC
-------------------------
2. Case Western
3. UIC
4. Mayo Rochester
5. Dartmouth
-------------------------------
6. OSU
7. Rush
8-10: UCLA Olive View, CPMC, Scripps Green
11. Montefiore
12-16. MCW, Iowa, Rochester (NY), Loma Linda, Loyola

I think my #1 is set. Struggling with #2-5...loved the programs at Mayo and Dartmouth, but I feel like I might prefer the locations of the programs currently ranked above it. Also feel a little unsure of ranking #8-10 above some of the academic programs below it, but I got a great feeling from those programs on my interview days. Interested in GI or primary care. Looking for strong clinical training, research opps, good fellowship match, friendly atmosphere. I would appreciate any advice, thanks! Feel free to PM me too.
 
USIMG so not really any heavy hitters, still I really liked a lot of these programs was wondering how others would rank.

UConn
Albany (my family has moved there)
WVU (seemed to have a lot of success with fellowship placement)
Upstate
EVMS
Downstate
Carilion Clinic/VaTech
SLR (I know its supposed to have a good reputation, but I got a REALLY bad feeling from the residents on my interview day)
Lenox Hill
ECU
UTenn- Knoxville
a few other smaller community programs that will linger on the bottom

Are some of these much better than others? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything, or don't have one in a bizarre spot.
Thanks so much!
 
I am interested in a GI fellowship and later on an academic career.

1-Indiana University(very strong GI program but do not often take their own residents)
2-Tufts (guess it is just the name, otherwise not much for IM or GI)
3-MUSC (nationally recognized GI program and nice city but IM program not well known, so am afraid it won't help much if applying to other programs)
4-GWU
5-Albert Einstein Montefiore
6-UT-Houston (great facilities but didn't get the academic feel of the program)

Thanks!
 
1. USC
-------------------------
2. Case Western
3. UIC
4. Mayo Rochester
5. Dartmouth
-------------------------------
6. OSU
7. Rush
8-10: UCLA Olive View, CPMC, Scripps Green
11. Montefiore
12-16. MCW, Iowa, Rochester (NY), Loma Linda, Loyola

I think my #1 is set. Struggling with #2-5...loved the programs at Mayo and Dartmouth, but I feel like I might prefer the locations of the programs currently ranked above it. Also feel a little unsure of ranking #8-10 above some of the academic programs below it, but I got a great feeling from those programs on my interview days. Interested in GI or primary care. Looking for strong clinical training, research opps, good fellowship match, friendly atmosphere. I would appreciate any advice, thanks! Feel free to PM me too.

This list is a hot mess. I'm not going to argue that Lebanon, NH, Rochester, MN or Columbus, OH are in any way even close to LA or Chicago when it comes to being cool places to live (because that would be insane).

But, dude...are you kidding? USC, UIC and Case (which I'm sure I don't have to remind you is in Cleveland) ahead of Mayo, Dartmouth and OSU? Even Monte and Iowa should be above those places.

That said, it's your rank list, not mine. If that's how you like 'em, I'm not going to fight you about it. But your list seems very focused on location (city). Which is fine. But don't pretend it's based on the things you say you're looking for in a program.
 
USIMG so not really any heavy hitters, still I really liked a lot of these programs was wondering how others would rank.

UConn
Albany (my family has moved there)
WVU (seemed to have a lot of success with fellowship placement)
Upstate
EVMS
Downstate
Carilion Clinic/VaTech
SLR (I know its supposed to have a good reputation, but I got a REALLY bad feeling from the residents on my interview day)
Lenox Hill
ECU
UTenn- Knoxville
a few other smaller community programs that will linger on the bottom

Are some of these much better than others? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything, or don't have one in a bizarre spot.
Thanks so much!

There are no standout programs on your list in terms of reputation or opportunities so the way you have them ranked is perfectly reasonable.
 
I am interested in a GI fellowship and later on an academic career.

1-Indiana University(very strong GI program but do not often take their own residents)
2-Tufts (guess it is just the name, otherwise not much for IM or GI)
3-MUSC (nationally recognized GI program and nice city but IM program not well known, so am afraid it won't help much if applying to other programs)
4-GWU
5-Albert Einstein Montefiore
6-UT-Houston (great facilities but didn't get the academic feel of the program)

Thanks!

Completely flip your 2-5 programs so it looks like:
1
5
4
3
2
6
(or just swap 2 and 5 on your list)
...and you're golden
 
Hi everyone,

this is a wonderful thread!
I need some advice on ranking programs. I am a US IMG, interested in doing a fellowship in the future. ( I was interested in GI but now I'm not sure if it's practically possible.)
I have no specifics about location.
Here is the order I am planning to rank, and I would appreciate any advice regarding the order of ranking or info about the program itself.

1. Univ Nevada Las Vegas
2. SIU
3. Advocate Illinois Masonic
4. Jersey Shore University (Neptune, NJ)
5. NY Hospital Queens
6. Rochester General
7. Richmond Univ Med Ctr, Staten Island

I seem to be seeing a lot of negative comments about NYHQ, what is the reason for that? I thought it was pretty good on the day of my interview.

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
 
This list is a hot mess. I'm not going to argue that Lebanon, NH, Rochester, MN or Columbus, OH are in any way even close to LA or Chicago when it comes to being cool places to live (because that would be insane).

But, dude...are you kidding? USC, UIC and Case (which I'm sure I don't have to remind you is in Cleveland) ahead of Mayo, Dartmouth and OSU? Even Monte and Iowa should be above those places.

That said, it's your rank list, not mine. If that's how you like 'em, I'm not going to fight you about it. But your list seems very focused on location (city). Which is fine. But don't pretend it's based on the things you say you're looking for in a program.

Thanks for your input. I forgot to mention that location is affecting my choice a lot (which definitely came across). There are days when I think I could be happy in those locations given the strength of the programs, and other days I'm not so sure, so I think that is what I'm currently struggling with. Glad to hear your thoughts.
 
Thanks gutonc! you've brought up the points I am so confused about:

1-Monte: I know it is a big IM program that has its own strengths, but their GI program is not that strong. Plus during my interview day, the residents seemed to be worked out and not strong academically. I was tempted to put it directly after Indiana as you suggested but one of the GI attendings at my school (in NYC) did not recommend it to be that high on the list. However, I know he is biased since he only based his opinion on their GI program and not on their IM. Can you please enlighten me about their strengths as an IM program?
2-Tufts: I know they don't have a strong IM program but is it that bad that you put it down at the bottom of the list?

I appreciate if you have the time to answer my questions but I can understand if you can't. Thanks again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone interviews in Unov of Tenn Chattanooga for IM (cat)?

How is the program? what are the pro's and con's of the program

Finally did you anyone get a reply from the program recently?
 
Having a tough time with my ROL beyond top three.

UVA
Rush
Maryland
Einstein
Temple
Umass

Mostly between uva and rush, i like chicago better than charlottesville but am interested in cards and uva had better match list and probably better research opportunities.

Any thoughts on the two programs?
 
Hi All--Appreciate the help/comments/suggestions.
Preliminary Rank List (Love the south!!). Interested in GI. Have some prior research. Would like to live in a fun city without closing any doors for fellowship. Thanks so much
MUSC
UTSW
Emory
UAB
UVA
Georgetown
UC-Denver
UF
Baylor

Move MUSC to between UVA and GT (or above UVA) and you'll be fine. I don't think MUSC will close any doors, but UTSW, UAB and Emory will open some that MUSC won't.
 
Having a tough time with my ROL beyond top three.

UVA
Rush
Maryland
Einstein
Temple
Umass

Mostly between uva and rush, i like chicago better than charlottesville but am interested in cards and uva had better match list and probably better research opportunities.

Any thoughts on the two programs?

I agree with your UVA/Rush assessment. I have a friend who is a cards fellow at UVA and he is quite pleased with the IM residents there (I can't say he's impressed because he's not impressed by anything) and he stayed on for an extra cards research year. I also think Einstein should be higher up than Rush as it has a better national reputation.
 
About me: Interested in cards and would ideally like to do fellowship in Chicago, but I am open to doing residency anywhere. I’m looking for a program with good mentorship – I don’t want to get lost in the crowd. Nothing here is set in stone and I would really appreciate some feedback!

Rank List:
1. Mayo – Loved the program and it would open lots of opportunities for residency, but I’m not stoked about living in Rochester
2. UAB – Strong program and I love the South
3. UPMC – I’m not sure about the lack of attending rounds and got mixed feelings on the interview day, but they have some cool track opportunities
4/5 Wisconsin (Madison) vs UVA – Madison is driving distance to family while UVA is pretty far. I liked the feel of both, but like UVA a little more. Being single I think it would be easier to live in Madison
6. Minnesota – Love the ultrasound curriculum and had one of the best gut feelings leaving this interview.
7/8 Case vs Wake: I would rather live in the Southeast and got a weird vibe from Case, but it feels like Case has a better national reputation.
9 Georgetown
10. Dartmouth
11/12. Loyola vs Medical College of Wisconsin – I got a better feel from MCW but Loyola has great cards.
13. Indiana
14. CCF
15-18: Rush, UIC, SLU, NorthShore

Thank you!