Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoChanges

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Great forum guys. Hope it's ok to post this here.
How would you rank these four programs? Interested in Cards or GI
- Emory
- University of Minnesota
- University of Florida
- UT houston.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
How would you rank these four programs? I'm an IMG and I don't have any family ties or specific preference, maybe only the warm weather and a friendly environment. Interested in Cards or GI
- Emory
- University of Florida
- UT houston.

I haven't visited all of them yet and it's probably a bit early to think about this. I guess they rank in this order based on US news ranking which isn't probably very useful if it's based on schools right? just wanted to know where I stand.
Also I'm on the waitlist for UTSW, where would you rank it and does that usually end up in an interview? I guess people wouldn't cancel UTSW right?

Thanks a lot.

Emory would be am easy #1 for me. Excellent program, awesome city. Gainesville and Houston suck and Minneapolis is way to cold for me. Also pretty sure Emory is the better regarded program out of those 4 by a fair margin

Without a doubt:

1. Emory
2. Minnesota
3/4. No opinion

Emory will work your butt off, but its a solid program with a national reputation. I think this will be very important as IMG, especially for cards and GI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow up question:

Do I even need to mess with the actual match website until january?

When you do play with rankings on the actual match website does anyone see it/Does it affect anything before match day?

Thanks <3

Follow up question:

When you do play with rankings on the actual match website does anyone see it/Does it affect anything before match day?

Thanks <3

Since pretty much everything you post is straight up trolling, I'm going to assume you're doing the same here and I will respond in kind. But I will be honest and mark it as such.

<troll>Every time you put a rank list in NRMP it automatically transmits your rank list to every program where you interviewed.</troll>

<real answer>No</real answer>

Follow up question:

Thanks <3

You need to sign up for the NRMP. At this point, the price has increased from $50 to $100. Otherwise, you can't do anything until the rank lists open Jan 15.

Jan 15-Feb 20, you can play around with your ROL as much as you want. You just need to certify it at some point before the deadline on Feb 20. Various people I've talked to say that the website really runs slowly and is overburdened on the deadline itself, so I'd aim to certify it at least a few days before.

Without a doubt:

1. Emory
2. Minnesota
3/4. No opinion

Emory will work your butt off, but its a solid program with a national reputation. I think this will be very important as IMG, especially for cards and GI.

This is exactly how I would rank as well.

I think there are fairly big step-offs between Emory and Minnesota and Minnesota and the rest.

Since pretty much everything you post is straight up trolling, I'm going to assume you're doing the same here and I will respond in kind. But I will be honest and mark it as such.

<troll>Every time you put a rank list in NRMP it automatically transmits your rank list to every program where you interviewed.</troll>

<real answer>No</real answer>

Lol thanks.

Hey,
How would you rank these four programs? I'm an IMG and I don't have any family ties or specific preference, maybe only the warm weather and a friendly environment. Interested in Cards or GI
- Emory
- University of Florida
- UT houston.

I haven't visited all of them yet and it's probably a bit early to think about this. I guess they rank in this order based on US news ranking which isn't probably very useful if it's based on schools right? just wanted to know where I stand.
Also I'm on the waitlist for UTSW, where would you rank it and does that usually end up in an interview? I guess people wouldn't cancel UTSW right?

Thanks a lot.

Emory ~= UMinn (there are roughly 2734 arguments to be made in either direction on this comparison...don't be that guy)
>
UTH
>>
UF

But the simple fact that you haven't interviewed at them all yet makes this kind of a dumb question. For all you know, you're going to leave UMinn (or UF or any of the others) thinking that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And you know what? For you, that is true...and the only thing that matters.

So come back here after you're done interviewing and, if you're still not sure, ask the same question. I've got $5 that says you won't need to ask...your gut will have answered for you.

This is exactly how I would rank as well.

I think there are fairly big step-offs between Emory and Minnesota and Minnesota and the rest.

Well my thinking is that mid tier programs would favor their own for fellowship while stronger ones like Emory wouldn't, especially for IMGs where we always are gonna be less competitive. Maybe less for fellowship application but still. Should that make me favor those programs? I'm sure Emory has a great match list. But Florida too sent people off to Mayo for GI and UT sent people to Texas Heart. Also it seemed that residency in Florida might be more enjoyable but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? cuz I'm not very convinced with this theory myself.

What about UTSW?

Can anyone from Florida or Minnesota comment on their own programs? it feels like SDN only cares about the top 10 programs!

Well my thinking is that mid tier programs would favor their own for fellowship while stronger ones like Emory wouldn't, especially for IMGs where we always are gonna be less competitive. Maybe less for fellowship application but still. Should that make me favor those programs? I'm sure Emory has a great match list. But Florida too sent people off to Mayo for GI and UT sent people to Texas Heart. Also it seemed that residency in Florida might be more enjoyable but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? cuz I'm not very convinced with this theory myself.

What about UTSW?

Can anyone from Florida or Minnesota comment on their own programs? it feels like SDN only cares about the top 10 programs!

We care about the top 30 programs, get your $hit straight.

UTSW is baller and you will probably be a desirable fellowship candidate any program. Mayo is one those places that is amazing, but I think they drop down on fellowship and residency lists because of the location. Texas Heart will always take people from Texas. It's all regional. Academic name matters, especially in the Cards and GI world now.

Emory ~= UMinn (there are roughly 2734 arguments to be made in either direction on this comparison...don't be that guy)
>
UTH
>>
UF

But the simple fact that you haven't interviewed at them all yet makes this kind of a dumb question. For all you know, you're going to leave UMinn (or UF or any of the others) thinking that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And you know what? For you, that is true...and the only thing that matters.

So come back here after you're done interviewing and, if you're still not sure, ask the same question. I've got $5 that says you won't need to ask...your gut will have answered for you.

Do you mind me asking why you think UTH is much better than UF? I've been to both and I felt the residents were stronger and MR was better at UF. Also on US news, which I dare quote, UF is slightly higher than UTH.
By the way, when I'm considering US news rankings, do I go by research or primary care?
I think it's something to keep in mind although it's ranking med schools not residency programs.

Do you mind me asking why you think UTH is much better than UF? I've been to both and I felt the residents were stronger and MR was better at UF. Also on US news, which I dare quote, UF is slightly higher than UTH.
By the way, when I'm considering US news rankings, do I go by research or primary care?
I think it's something to keep in mind although it's ranking med schools not residency programs.

You are over thinking this. Would you rather live in Houston or Gainesville? Where do you think you will learn more and succeed? If you start basing your rankings on medical school rankings you are do yourself a disservice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Clearly you didn't pay attention to the last half of my post (which was far and away the most important part).

TL;DR:
Rank the programs you like higher. If you rank based on any other criterion (USNWR ranks, SDN ranks, Gutonc ranks, the places your pet emu wants to live, the place your grandma has heard of), you deserve any and all misery you get.

I'm having a really hard time sorting the middle of list, any input would certainly be appreciated.

Georgetown
GW
Temple
Jeff
Drexel
Penn
OHSU
UVM
Dartmouth
Cooper
umdnj rwj

St luke's roosevelt
Pennsylvania hospital

Thank you that was helpful.
Lol at the emu thing.

Last edited:
There is clearly one program on that list that is head above shoulders superior.

Thanks guys!

So just in terms of program quality:

Penn
OHSU
Dartmouth
umdnj rwj

Then..

UVM=Jeff=>Temple
Georgetown
GW

Then..

St luke's roosevelt
Pennsylvania hospital
Cooper
Drexel

How does that seem?

drexel that bad, worse than community hospitals?

I would, but just barely. Reasonable arguments could be made either way.

Jeff vs RWJ. Programs are polar opposites.

Jeff is frontloaded- interns arrive at 5 am. Intern year is killer; you sorta coast after intern year. Very hierarchical and fairly malignant reputation. Mostly subspecialty services. Many residents view Jeff primarily as a stepping stone to fellowship (usually cards or GI from here). Residents do match well though.

RWJ is even-loaded- interns do not pre-round. Service is spread out so you will do a fair amount during your 3rd year. Non-malignant reputation. Focus is on general internal medicine and not subspecialty services.

Jeff probably has a slightly bigger name nationally.

drexel that bad, worse than community hospitals?

Drexel falls to 4th among the Philly programs.

Penn is still tops although their reputation may or may not be warranted. I heard a pretty scathing review of the residency from a former teaching attending (which needs to be taken with a grain of salt). Obviously they match quite well (whether fair or not, institutional name and pedigree play a huge role in landing top fellowship spots).

Temple vs Jefferson- again polar opposite programs. I personally would favor Temple over Jefferson but that's my own preference. Temple's philosophy is "learn by doing" and is a resident-run hospital. Residents get a huge amount of autonomy. Very non-malignant environment. Jefferson is very hierarchical and privately run with an emphasis on sub-specialty services. Again- they may have a bigger reputation so they match well in GI and cards. My feeling about Jeff (and feel free to disagree) is that the residents and the institution use each other- residents use the "Jefferson name" to land a good fellowship and the institution uses residents to staff their private services. Aside from a handful of dedicated clinician educators, the emphasis at Jeff is more about getting you into fellowship than about learning good clinical internal medicine.

Jeff clearly beats Temple in geography though. Center city is definitely to place to live in Philly if you can afford it.

Drexel had a reputation as an old-boys network though that may now be outdated. When I interviewed 4 years ago the program was run by a bunch of 50 year old males and zero women. Not sure of the situation now.

If you're interested in hem/onc programs and are considering staying at your home institution, you may want to drop dartmouth further down your list. The hem/onc programs at RWJ/Temple (FCCC)/Jeff are all superior to Dartmouth IMHO.

Hey guys, sorry for another one of these..I think I've got at least my top 8 programs, but I'm just not sure how to rank em..Let me know how you feel about this...

1. Baylor COM
2. NSLIJ
3. Kaiser LA
4. USC
5. Baylor Dallas
6. Wake Forest
7. UT Houston
8. Case Western Univ Hospitals

Pretty stuck..and very uncertain if this is a good list...any insight appreciated. Interested in heme onc

pretty good list. i think baylor is best. where do you want to do your fellowship? mdanderson? although baylor does take a lot of their own for h&o

Hey guys, sorry for another one of these..I think I've got at least my top 8 programs, but I'm just not sure how to rank em..Let me know how you feel about this...

1. Baylor COM
2. NSLIJ
3. Kaiser LA
4. USC
5. Baylor Dallas
6. Wake Forest
7. UT Houston
8. Case Western Univ Hospitals

Pretty stuck..and very uncertain if this is a good list...any insight appreciated. Interested in heme onc

Putting fake Baylor above any of those programs is a travesty. My list would probably be:
Real Baylor
NSLIJ/USC (I would honestly flip a coin here)
Wake
UTH
Case
KLA
Fake Baylor

Might I piggyback on this thread with my own list? So far I have it along the lines of:

1. U Wisconsin
2. U Utah vs Dartmouth vs Brown ??
3. Vermont
4. Maine Medical
5. U New Mexico vs U Arizona vs UMass vs UTH vs Lahey Clinic

And where does UTMB fit into this? I was *very* impressed with their program... fooled me as far as a major hurricane going through there a few years ago.

How would y'all rank the following?

Rush
Temple
VCU
Emory
Beth Israel -NYC
Tufts
Georgetown
Wake forest
UVA
UMiami
USC

Rush
Temple
VCU
Emory
Beth Israel -NYC
Tufts
Georgetown
Wake forest
UVA
UMiami
USC

UVA- seems like a nice program. Good reputation
Wake- pretty strong program
Emory- strong program but I didn't like it when I applied
Tufts- well regarded
Miami- in a good location
USC- also good location
VCU- a strong clinical program. Does not have the national pull the others have
Temple
GT

Not to sure about Rush or BI in NY

How is UVM regarded? I noticed it had some open positions in the past few years and not sure why. Really liked it when I visited.

Other places I am considering include Mayo, Dartmouth, Colorado, Utah, Alabama, UVA, Michigan, OHSU. I also have some "safer" places as well that will be ranked.

May cancel UAb and UVA. How does UVM compare to these?

Where do you guys think case western ranks compared to others on the above list ?

I think it's insanely early for this (usually you guys wait until after the first of the year) but given the number of threads that have already been started on this, I'm going to make a "Megathread" for all your help me rank questions.

All prior ranking threads from this season have been moved into this thread (sorry if it messes up some of the flow...you'll get over it).

Finally - and this is just a humble request, not any sort of command and I won't do anything to enforce it, this is your forum I'm just the babysitter - please don't post your list before your interviews (or at least not until you're nearly done). We can't give you helpful information if you don't really know anything about the program yourself.

Good luck all.

Hey

Ive pretty much finished all my interviews and need some help with my list

AECOM/Monte
Brown
Pitt
Sinai
NYU
UMass
Temple
Rush
Downstate
UVA
VCU

I mostly want to be in the Northeast but I liked Rush and the Virginia programs too. I am most likely interested in Cards. Any feedback would be really appreciated! Thanks

I still have a few interviews to go, but I need some help ranking these programs that are currently at the top of my list. To note: I am leaning towards living in a bigger city, interested in GI or Heme/Onc for fellowship, and I can deal with the cold. Thanks!

(in no particular order)
Columbia
Cornell
UCLA
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Hopkins
Wash U

Hey

AECOM/Monte
Brown
Pitt
Sinai
NYU
UMass
Temple
Rush
Downstate
UVA
VCU

I mostly want to be in the Northeast but I liked Rush and the Virginia programs too. I am most likely interested in Cards. Any feedback would be really appreciated! Thanks

My take:
Sinai/Pitt
Monte/NYU/UVA
Brown/UMass/Temple/Rush/VCU
Downstate

Rank within groups according to geographic preference and gut feeling.

Might I piggyback on this thread with my own list? So far I have it along the lines of:

1. U Wisconsin
2. U Utah vs Dartmouth vs Brown ??
3. Vermont
4. Maine Medical
5. U New Mexico vs U Arizona vs UMass vs UTH vs Lahey Clinic

And where does UTMB fit into this? I was *very* impressed with their program... fooled me as far as a major hurricane going through there a few years ago.

My take:
Wisco/Utah
Dartmouth
UAz/Brown/UMass/UTH
UVM/UNM
Maine/Lahey

I have no idea about UTMB. They completely fell off my radar post-Ike.

But my general rule is to rank programs the way you like them not the way random people on the internet tell you to do it. So don't argue with my ranking choices (or anyone else's for that matter), consider them and make your own decision.

I still have a few interviews to go, but I need some help ranking these programs that are currently at the top of my list. To note: I am leaning towards living in a bigger city, interested in GI or Heme/Onc for fellowship, and I can deal with the cold. Thanks!

(in no particular order)
Columbia
Cornell
UCLA
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Hopkins
Wash U

Put them in whatever order you like...you'll be fine doing whatever you want coming out of any of those places. Be sure you're happy with your #1...you're probably going to end up there.

(in no particular order)
Columbia
Cornell
UCLA
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Hopkins
Wash U

1. Hopkins
2. Columbia
3. UChicago
4. WashU
5-7. Northwestern, Cornell, UCLA in any order.

Rush
Temple
VCU
Emory
Beth Israel -NYC
Tufts
Georgetown
Wake forest
UVA
UMiami
USC

Any more thoughts on rank order for above? My thoughts are that Emory is probably highest based on prestige, but that I might be happier at GT or Tufts based on location/city. But, I feel like I'm shafting myself if I don't rank Emory first....hence, the dilemma

Any more thoughts on rank order for above? My thoughts are that Emory is probably highest based on prestige, but that I might be happier at GT or Tufts based on location/city. But, I feel like I'm shafting myself if I don't rank Emory first....hence, the dilemma

Are you looking for a fellowship? Because that's something that matters in your scenario.

Hey

AECOM/Monte
Brown
Pitt
Sinai
NYU
UMass
Temple
Rush
Downstate
UVA
VCU

By reputation:
Pitt/Sinai/UVA <= I think these are the clear winners. Would strongly urge placing them in your 1,2,3 in some form. Of them, Sinai may in fact be the most competitive to match at. UVA also seems to match at surprisingly great places for fellowship, and Pitt takes tons of their own for fellowship and also places pretty well elsewhere. All three have really friendly environments, from what I've heard. Pitt and UVA are almost entirely night float with little to no 30 hour calls, if you care about that. Sinai I think has a good amount of traditional call in second and third year.
Brown/NYU
The rest, don't know too much about them.

(in no particular order)
Columbia
Cornell
UCLA
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Hopkins
Wash U

I think that any of these will be more than fine for fellowship. I would think mostly in terms of training environment (more vs less intense, do you want traditional overnight call, etc.). Since you've been to these places, I would imagine that you know the drill.
In terms of fellowship placement, I would think that Hopkins will give you a bit of an edge amongst these. But I would not sign up for placement in the marines unless you really know what you're getting into. And, make no mistake, for some people Hopkins is the perfect place to train.

Rush
Temple
VCU
Emory
Beth Israel -NYC
Tufts
Georgetown
Wake forest
UVA
UMiami
USC

I would do Emory/UVa as your 1,2 in some fashion if you're going for fellowship...
The difference in reputation between one of those two and a place like Georgetown might unfortunately be a bit of a jump.

If not going for fellowship, then I'm sure Georgetown will train you just fine.

General disclaimer: I throw my two cents in here as a fellow applicant, and not a particular expert.