**Official 2014 Orthodontic Match/Non-Match Results**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your news! Here's the format:
Even if you did not have a successful year please post your results to help others.

Name of School:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Members don't see this ad.

Name of School: Seton Hill University
Dental School Attended: Public Dental school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2013
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: AEGD (PGY-1)
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: High 80s/ Pass
GRE Score: Verbal: 155, Math: 160, Writing: 4.0
Class Rank: None, Pass/Fail school, received Honors
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Externship(s)/where: UOP, USC, Columbia, Montefiore, Rochester, NYU
Research: 2 projects; 1 endo (received research grant; presented research at IADR), 1 ortho; Ortho research being reviewed for publication
Extracurriculars: ASDA (Membership chair, Vice-President, 1st yr liaison), Xi Psi Phi Dental Fraternity, Community Service, Tutoring, TA for Human Anatomy course in dental school, much more
42/4/1/1(non-match offer)

Last edited:
Name of School: Seton Hill University
Dental School Attended: Public Dental school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2013
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: AEGD (PGY-1)
NBDE Part I/II scores: High 80s/ Pass
GRE Score: Verbal: 155, Math: 160, Writing: 4.0
Class Rank: None, Pass/Fail school, received Honors
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Externship(s)/where: UOP, USC, Columbia, Montefiore, Rochester, NYU
Research: 2 projects; 1 endo (received research grant; presented research at IADR), 1 ortho; Ortho research being reviewed for publication
Extracurriculars: ASDA (Membership chair, Vice-President, 1st yr liaison), Xi Psi Phi Dental Fraternity, Community Service, Tutoring, TA for Human Anatomy course in dental school, much more
42/3/1/1(non-match offer)

Congratulations Playa. It must feel great to just start planing for life as an ortho instead of your next interview. I had planned on doing multiple externships, like you, but was advised not to do so. A couple of my friends who have completed their ortho residencies said the residents and directors always just make fun of the extern behind their back. Then, in most cases, they don't even get an interview invite because they've already had the chance to get to know you. Out of curiousity, did you get interview invites at any of the programs where you did externships? On average, how long were your externships? A day or two or a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Playa. It must feel great to just start planing for life as an ortho instead of your next interview. I had planned on doing multiple externships, like you, but was advised not to do so. A couple of my friends who have completed their ortho residencies said the residents and directors always just make fun of the extern behind their back. Then, in most cases, they don't even get an interview invite because they've already had the chance to get to know you. Out of curiousity, did you get interview invites at any of the programs where you did externships? On average, how long were your externships? A day or two or a week?

Yeh last cycle I had interviews at UOP and Columbia. Both UOP and Columbia were one day. Rochester and Montefiore were two days, and I had to apply to Montefiore to observe. I don't know why people would make fun of an extern because we want to eagerly learn more about the program. I traveled far to be there and to me it shows a lot of dedication to travel that far just to observe someone. My two cents.

I heard the same rumors about not doing externships but its not 100% true. I did externships to three programs and received invites from two. I have a friend who did externships at two programs and received invites from both. If they don't like you at your externships they probably aren't going to invite you although if they like you it may help.

I heard the same rumors about not doing externships but its not 100% true. I did externships to three programs and received invites from two. I have a friend who did externships at two programs and received invites from both. If they don't like you at your externships they probably aren't going to invite you although if they like you it may help.

One of my ortho classmates did an externship at the program that I attended and he got the interview and a spot. I did an externship at my non-match school and also got an interview and offer. Now before everyone PMs me and asks what residency I attended, there is more to it because I knew 1st year residents at that school and it's all about connections (my alma mater would be pretty POed if they suddenly got bombarded with phone calls for externships, so I will not give the name away). I did two other externships and got an interview at one and nada at the other.

Name of School: Colorado
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: no
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: passed
GRE Score: 169, 162, 4.0
Class Rank: 5%
Match/Non-Match: non-match
Externship(s)/where: 1
Research: research assistant
Extracurriculars: lots
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/14/3/1

Dental School Attended:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: no
NBDE Part I/II scores: passed
GRE Score: 169, 162, 4.0
Class Rank: 5%
Externship(s)/where: 1
Research: research assistant
Extracurriculars: lots
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/14/3/1

How did you get into Colorado already? Aren't they part of MATCH?

Colorado is non-match this year.

Last edited:
nearly every residency I have seen (and I have lived in 3 states in the past 8 years) and every residency my friends have been to have the same issues you've written about in your blog. you do your time, get your certificate, and leave. if you want to create positive changes, a blog that complains about the same crap everyone else faces is not the way. the productive way to do it is to get yourself into academia (that is, if you truly want to change what you see).

Did anybody get an invite from Colorado that interviewed on the 17th or 18th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear from Maimonides?

I interviewed on the 18th and was offered a spot on the 25th.

Would you mind posting your stats?

Name of School:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:

Would you mind posting your stats?

Name of School: University of Colorado
Dental School Attended: Public Dental School
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none
NBDE Part I/II scores: in the 80s/pass
GRE Score: 168 verbal/158 quantitative/4.5 writing
Class Rank: top 10%
Externship(s)/where: none but visited several schools for 1 day each
Research: none
Extracurriculars: Dental fraternity with multiple officer positions, several student government positions, lots of tutoring
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 10/3/3/accepted 1 non-match offer, withdrawing from match

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Matched into Harvard. :)

Could you please post your stats?

Name of School:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:

Has anyone gotten an offer or heard anything from Maimonides?

Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):no
NBDE Part I/II scores:92/pass
GRE Score:
Class Rank:6
Match/Non-Match:non-match
Externship(s)/where:none
Research: nothing spectacular but did work on a few research papers.
Extracurriculars: lots of community service, tutoring, student government positions
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:17/5/4/none

Name of School: Jacksonville University
Dental School Attended: Case Western Reserve University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2009
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: AEGD
NBDE Part I/II scores: 88/83
GRE Score: 550 Verbal, 680 Quantitative Reasoning, 4 Analytical Writing
Class Rank: 18/72
Match/Non-Match: Non-Match school
Externship(s)/where: More like a site visit to JU, half-day.
Research: Table clinic
Extracurriculars: Ortho club
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 32/2/2/not necessary

nice job tooth. it must feel good to have an acceptance in hand and not have to stress about the match. where else did you interview?

Congrats tooth!!

nice job tooth. it must feel good to have an acceptance in hand and not have to stress about the match. where else did you interview?

Iowa. Also a great school. I would have loved to have gone there too. I just couldn't risk loosing an acceptance and it's sooooo nice to have an acceptance. :love:

Iowa. Also a great school. I would have loved to have gone there too. I just couldn't risk loosing an acceptance and it's sooooo nice to have an acceptance. :love:
Congrats Tooth. I am interested to know how did you strengthen your CV for ortho while you were practicing. Did you do any special ortho CE courses?

Congrats Tooth. I am interested to know how did you strengthen your CV for ortho while you were practicing. Did you do any special ortho CE courses?

I did about 40 ce's of ortho/pedo annually for the last 5 years. I'm in the Navy though, so it was not only free but I got my normal pay while I was there. I'm not sure that it mattered though. No one ever brought it up. It was still nice to be able to put something down on the resume though.

Congrats Tooth! Welcome to the club! Look forward to possibly meeting you at GORP or AAO!

Thanks everyone! The application cycle has been very humbling. I know how lucky I am to have gotten in considering my stats are admirable but not really impressive. I still can't believe I'm going to be an Orthodontist! Good luck to everyone.

Thanks everyone! The application cycle has been very humbling. I know how lucky I am to have gotten in considering my stats are admirable but not really impressive. I still can't believe I'm going to be an Orthodontist! Good luck to everyone.
Nice work, tooth. Did you take any time off after college before entering dental school? Also, did you have any prior military experience?

thanx

Nice work, tooth. Did you take any time off after college before entering dental school? Also, did you have any prior military experience?

thanx
I lived in Peru a couple years between high school and college but went straight to dental school from college. I did 5 years in the Navy.

I lived in Peru a couple years between high school and college but went straight to dental school from college. I did 5 years in the Navy.

Wow, that's cool. What did you do there? Do you have family there?

gotcha, so you bailed on mormonism?
I prefer to think of it as "graduated" from Mormonism. For me, it was like being stuck in high school forever. I don't mean that condescendingly. It's just that eventually I felt like I had learned everything that they had to offer and I just needed to move on. Please, let's not turn this into a page on religion though.

Last edited:
I prefer to think of it as "graduated" from Mormonism. For me, it was like being stuck in high school forever. I don't mean that condescendingly. It's just that eventually I felt like I had learned everything that they had to offer and I just needed to move on. Please, let's not turn this into a page on religion though.

Gotcha. Not interested in political/religious debate. Just simply curious about how/why you left.
Anyway, congrats on your spot! And nice work choosing the Navy to cover the obscene costs of CWRU ;)

Name of School: Loma Linda University
Dental School Attended: Private Dental School
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): None
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/Pass
GRE Score: 85-90-96 %tile
Class Rank: 2
Match/Non-Match: Non Match
Externship(s)/where: OHSU
Research: 5 publications, 3 posters, multiple scholarships/grants
Extracurriculars: Class officer, national group representative, academic committee representative, research group officer, tutor, outreach volunteer, etc etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/11/7/0

Congratulations eliwoohoo. When did you get your acceptance to Loma Linda? How long did they give you to think about it? Do you have any idea if the rest of the spots are filled yet?

Congratulations eliwoohoo. When did you get your acceptance to Loma Linda? How long did they give you to think about it? Do you have any idea if the rest of the spots are filled yet?

Thanks, Chuck! Got it the day after I interviewed. They gave me the weekend + 48 hrs. I know for sure 4 spots are filled because they are my friends, but the remaining 2 I'm not sure about. They haven't sent me the official roster, so I'm assuming there might still be one or two spaces? Good luck!

Got a phone call from WHC today asking how I liked the program and how the rest of my interviews finished up.

They said they are hoping to hear from me on the 4th!!!!

3.5 weeks left.....I just want this wait to be over. Congrats to all who got accepted.

Eli

did you interview at OHSU?

Research: 5 publications, 3 posters, multiple scholarships/grants
Extracurriculars: Class officer, national group representative, academic committee representative, research group officer, tutor, outreach volunteer, etc etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/11/7/0

Got a phone call from WHC today asking how I liked the program and how the rest of my interviews finished up.

They said they are hoping to hear from me on the 4th!!!!

I got a call from UCSF after the interview very similar to that. I think programs do that so you would rank them highly. Again, with the match, it does not matter where you rank them as long as one of the program ranks you in their top X of X spots, then you will be guaranteed a match spot at a place!