Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping for your thoughts on my rank list. I have no particular geographic preference, although all else being equal I’d prefer to live in or near a city. My goal is academic medicine, leaning towards either cards or pulm/crit. I’m fairly set on the general outline of my list (was lucky to interview at many great programs), but I’m having a lot of trouble making the fine distinctions.

1/2. Columbia (NYC) vs. Duke- Felt like I fit in well with the residents on interview day at Columbia, and was impressed by the dual attending rounds. I really like NYC, but I’ve heard some fairly negative things about ancillary services and general dysfunction of the hospital, even out of proportion to the general low level grumbling at the other NYC programs that makes me nervous. On the other hand, really liked Duke program as well (very impressed by the program leadership and residents), but a little less sold on Durham.

3/4/5/6 Mount Sinai (NYC) vs Cornell vs U Washington vs Michigan - Having a real tough time deciding between these programs. I felt like I fit in well with the Sinai residents, and they are obviously strong in pulm/crit and cards. Cornell seemed a bit more onc heavy. UWash residents seemed pretty happy, but due to the fact that the hospitals are spread out, it seemed a bit less cohesive than some of the other programs I visited. I also really like Seattle. Michigan had incredible research opportunities, but didn’t feel the “fit” with the residents as much.

7/8/9 UPMC vs. Mayo vs Yale - I liked Pittsburgh more than I thought I would when I visited, and the Pitt residents seemed happy, but I got the impression that Pitt has more of a fellow driven hospital (not entirely sure if that’s accurate). Loved the Mayo program and the incredible research opportunities available, but Rochester seemed terribly small and cold, especially since I’m single. Liked the Yale program almost as much, but New Haven didn’t seem that great either.

10/11 UVa vs Dartmouth - I liked both of these programs, which both felt very supportive of its residents, and felt I could get great training, but they are both in fairly small towns.

Members don't see this ad.

For the love of god people, someone give me some input if you know about these programs. Please stop only helping the people deciding between MGH and Hopkins. Looking to go into cards

Montefiore
Cedars-Sinai
Rutgers NJMS
University of Arizona Tucson
Lenox Hill
SLR
Winthrop
NYMC
Einstein Philly
Cooper
University of Arizona Phoenix(Banner Good Sam)
SUNY Downstate
Scripps Mercy
New York Methodist
Staten Island

Reactions: 1 user
For the love of god people, someone give me some input if you know about these programs. Please stop only helping the people deciding between MGH and Hopkins. Looking to go into cards

Montefiore
Cedars-Sinai
Rutgers NJMS
Lenox Hill
SLR
Winthrop
NYMC
Einstein Philly
Cooper
SUNY Downstate
Scripps Mercy
New York Methodist
Staten Island

Ummm is Tucson the actual University program? Your list seems reasonable at the top. The rest are based on how you feel about them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm is Tucson the actual University program? Your list seems reasonable at the top. The rest are based on how you feel about them.

Yes Tucson is the university program. I figure everything beyond the first few is a based on preference but just seeing if anyone has feedback on programs they know well. Thanks

Hello out there. I know you're all probably tired of answering questions but I would love help with my rank list or general advice for applicants with kids.

I want to do adolescent medicine or GIM fellowship -> academic career with strong health policy interest. #1 priority is strong training, close #2 is family friendly / close to family, #3 is opportunities for underserved medicine and health policy

Tough list to interpret and rank for you because of the multitude of factors that seem to be playing into how you are ranking these places. Going solely by reputation alone and health policy opportunities, you have a wide range of programs. The individual styles and locations are also vastly different. If it were my list I would have ranked differently but my priorities were also quite different. What I will offer is that if you define "strong training" as strong clinical training, you will be well trained from any of these places. Research opportunities will differ but that might not matter depending on your ultimate career goals. You have a lot of great programs on here, find the best fit for you and your family and don't look back.

My big question is would I be crazy to rank Mayo below any of these 2?

As I mentioned I definitely would like to be proficient clinically by the end of residency. Would going to Mayo be that detrimental to this?

No and no. You will be successful and well trained from any of these places. It's funny that SDN seems to give students the impression that Mayo docs don't know how to use their stethoscopes.

Hoping for your thoughts on my rank list. I have no particular geographic preference, although all else being equal I’d prefer to live in or near a city. My goal is academic medicine, leaning towards either cards or pulm/crit. I’m fairly set on the general outline of my list (was lucky to interview at many great programs), but I’m having a lot of trouble making the fine distinctions.

Duke and Columbia very similar in terms of overall rep, rigorous training, research opportunities. Obviously Durham and NYC could not be more different and there may be a difference in ancillary staffing.

As for your 3-9 programs, all on a similar level in terms of reputation, but very different styles, strengths and locations. Like Yale and Michigan for fellowship opportunities, Cornell and Sinai better if goal is to stay in NYC for fellowship.

Montefiore
Cedars-Sinai
Rutgers NJMS
Lenox Hill
SLR
Winthrop
NYMC
Einstein Philly
Cooper
SUNY Downstate
Scripps Mercy
New York Methodist
Staten Island

Monte and Cedars have the best cards reps. Lennox Hill trains their residents well in my experience. Don't know much about the others.

Hello out there. I know you're all probably tired of answering questions but I would love help with my rank list or general advice for applicants with kids.

I want to do adolescent medicine or GIM fellowship -> academic career with strong health policy interest. #1 priority is strong training, close #2 is family friendly / close to family, #3 is opportunities for underserved medicine and health policy
My support system is in Baltimore. If I don't end up in Baltimore for residency, I want to match into fellowship in Baltimore. At the start of this process, I thought I would only rank mid-atlantic programs. However, at the urging of my husband, I interviewed all over and liked many programs more than some Baltimore/DC ones.

1. Hopkins

2 -4?: loved all these programs
MGH - husband has job in Boston but it's so expensive / not a family friendly city
Michigan - great reputation, in-laws live nearby, family friendly but not much to offer in underserved medicine / health policy. Far from home.
Duke - the residents talked a lot about how much they worked and this was not a theme at other programs. Family friendly city.

5-9?
Miami - liked a lot and have some family in FL, good climate, fun residents, but is this the same tier as my other options?
Baylor - absolutely loved but I don't know if it's worth moving to Houston for
Univ Chicago - liked a lot, has great underserved training and healthy policy but very far from Baltimore
Yale - liked and family friendly, but not super easy to get to and didn't feel like a perfect fit
Brown - liked but I've lived in Providence and I don't really want to move back

U Rochester - too far, too cold

I don't know where to put GW, UVA, Georgetown, University of Maryland. They are all close to my support system which is huge but they either didn't feel like great fits or I don't know enough about the strength of their training / reputation

GW: liked a lot but not sure of the caliber of training
Univ of MD: training is probably strong but I did not get a good feeling on my interview day, which was disappointing as I thought this would be my #2
Georgetown: I thought it was fine, did not stand out
UVA: certainly strong training, family friendly city, driving distance to Baltimore, got a good vibe but didn't meet many residents with kids

This is the way I would do it (again emphasis here on my opinion, prejudices, and preferences, there are multiple "correct" answers):

1. MGH - thought the culture here was a little more supportive and collegial than Hopkins. Boston is a very nice city and location is a plus for me. I think the clinical training and fellowship opportunities from here vs Hopkins are very similar. I know you said your support system is in Baltimore so I get your ranking and do not disagree with your list at all. I also agree Baltimore is probably cheaper than Boston for raising a family. Bigelow system seems a little weird, but the residents seem to like it so I guess its a neutral factor?

2. Hopkins - big Osler fan. elite clinical training. you will work hard and get your a$$ handed to you here but will come out as an excellent, confident, and competent physician who feels comfortable handling whatever comes their way. There is some here say about borderline malignancy at this program as a lot is expected of you very early on in your intern year. As I have said before Boston > Baltimore, but I understand your personal circumstances.

3. Duke - Durham may actually be a good location for a family since COL is cheaper than the big cities. IM training here is phenomenal, also work very hard but residents seem to come out very confident and match very well for fellowship, especially cards. If interested in research DCRI is a big plus. Also heard the PD and faculty go to bat for you big time come fellowship application time.

4. UChicago - Michigan is probably a hair more prestigious but I will take Chicago > Ann Arbor.

5. Michigan - awesome program, love the Michigan pride with the undergrad and football stuff going on. They cap at 8 patients which I honestly think is fine based on my limited clinical experience. Ann Arbor is just a tough pill to swallow...especially for folks who don't like the cold.

6. Baylor - Houston > New Haven. TMC is big and awesome, will provide tons of patient variety and pathology.

7. Yale

8. The rest in some order, don't know that much about the programs and doubt you'll drop this low. Best of luck, you've amassed an impressive list my friend.

My support system is in Baltimore. If I don't end up in Baltimore for residency, I want to match into fellowship in Baltimore. At the start of this process, I thought I would only rank mid-atlantic programs. However, at the urging of my husband, I interviewed all over and liked many programs more than some Baltimore/DC ones.

1. Hopkins

2 -4?: loved all these programs
MGH - husband has job in Boston but it's so expensive / not a family friendly city
Michigan - great reputation, in-laws live nearby, family friendly but not much to offer in underserved medicine / health policy. Far from home.
Duke - the residents talked a lot about how much they worked and this was not a theme at other programs. Family friendly city.

5-9?
Miami - liked a lot and have some family in FL, good climate, fun residents, but is this the same tier as my other options?
Baylor - absolutely loved but I don't know if it's worth moving to Houston for
Univ Chicago - liked a lot, has great underserved training and healthy policy but very far from Baltimore
Yale - liked and family friendly, but not super easy to get to and didn't feel like a perfect fit
Brown - liked but I've lived in Providence and I don't really want to move back

U Rochester - too far, too cold

I don't know where to put GW, UVA, Georgetown, University of Maryland. They are all close to my support system which is huge but they either didn't feel like great fits or I don't know enough about the strength of their training / reputation

GW: liked a lot but not sure of the caliber of training
Univ of MD: training is probably strong but I did not get a good feeling on my interview day, which was disappointing as I thought this would be my #2
Georgetown: I thought it was fine, did not stand out
UVA: certainly strong training, family friendly city, driving distance to Baltimore, got a good vibe but didn't meet many residents with kids

1. Hopkins should clearly be your #1. Arguably the most robust and diverse clinical training. And honestly, of all the programs you've listed, the program clearly fits your interests (underserved population, policy). Add on your clear desire to be in the area, and it's easy. I have to say, people that train at Hopkins for IM seem to be obsessed with it in spite of how hard they work, which speaks to the program culture, leadership, and individuals they recruit. You'll have no issue getting into fellowships you want and where you want if your circumstances change.

2. I think Hopkins and MGH would be a tossup for most people fortunate to have that choice. For you, Hopkins seems like the obvious "right fit." MGH #2 makes sense.

3. I think Michigan is very strong. And I'm not sure if saying they do not have" much to offer for health policy" is true at all. The health policy and management department" as part of the school of public health is strong and draws on a lot of Medicine faculty. John Ayanian was recruited from HSPH and the Brigham to run the Institute of healthcare policy and Innovation at Michigan.... he's very nice and you should ask to be put in touch with him if you have questions about policy opportunities. Overall, Michigan's is probably one of the best programs you could go to if you have policy incliniations.

4. Duke is the best of your remaining. Strong all around training, good fellowship opportunities.

I would do (solely based on reputation)...don't think Miami is in the same league as these:
5. U Chicago
6. Yale
7. Baylor

Ive put only more well known programs listed below in no particular order, wondering what you guys think. I prefer GI, possiblely cards, fellowship and living in a city but would not be against any particular location.

Baylor
Vandy
Emory
WashU
Yale
Mayo Rochester
U Miami
UVa
Cleveland Clinic
UAB

Am I crazy for wanting to pick Kaiser-Sunset #1? End goal is GI/Cards fellowship and then private practice. Thanks for any input.

1. Kaiser-sunset
2. Cedars
3. USC
4. Harbor
5. UCI
6. Scripps Green

1/2. Columbia (NYC) vs. Duke- Felt like I fit in well with the residents on interview day at Columbia, and was impressed by the dual attending rounds. I really like NYC, but I’ve heard some fairly negative things about ancillary services and general dysfunction of the hospital, even out of proportion to the general low level grumbling at the other NYC programs that makes me nervous. On the other hand, really liked Duke program as well (very impressed by the program leadership and residents), but a little less sold on Durham.

3/4/5/6 Mount Sinai (NYC) vs Cornell vs U Washington vs Michigan - Having a real tough time deciding between these programs. I felt like I fit in well with the Sinai residents, and they are obviously strong in pulm/crit and cards. Cornell seemed a bit more onc heavy. UWash residents seemed pretty happy, but due to the fact that the hospitals are spread out, it seemed a bit less cohesive than some of the other programs I visited. I also really like Seattle. Michigan had incredible research opportunities, but didn’t feel the “fit” with the residents as much.

7/8/9 UPMC vs. Mayo vs Yale - I liked Pittsburgh more than I thought I would when I visited, and the Pitt residents seemed happy, but I got the impression that Pitt has more of a fellow driven hospital (not entirely sure if that’s accurate). Loved the Mayo program and the incredible research opportunities available, but Rochester seemed terribly small and cold, especially since I’m single. Liked the Yale program almost as much, but New Haven didn’t seem that great either.

10/11 UVa vs Dartmouth - I liked both of these programs, which both felt very supportive of its residents, and felt I could get great training, but they are both in fairly small towns.

I agree with the way you group them, go with your gut, there's not a huge difference between program reps within each group.

Ive put only more well known programs listed below in no particular order, wondering what you guys think. I prefer GI, possiblely cards, fellowship and living in a city but would not be against any particular location.

Baylor
Vandy
Emory
WashU
Yale
Mayo Rochester
U Miami
UVa
Cleveland Clinic
UAB

I'd do Vandy/Washu, Yale, UVA/Mayo/Emory, Baylor/UAB then the rest.

Generally agree with your ranking so far. I would put them as follows (again just my opinion):

1. Columbia - fellowship match list is absolutely insane (so is Duke's) but I really liked NYC and if you are a young, single person in their mid twenties this may be the perfect time to explore a world class city like NYC. I had some pretty serious and honest talks with several residents at Columbia who pretty much told me that they have to do their own blood draws like once or twice a month on average give or take. They also said they have to transport their patients when they are unstable and an MD is needed. They were not making a big deal about the ancillary services and although I agree they are not as good as some other places, I also don't think they are as bad as they used to be and certainly not as bad as people make them out to be. Residents seem like an extremely cohesive bunch and they seemed super cool and fun loving.

2.Univ of Washington - I think I just fell in love with Seattle. My god, what a gorgeous city. PD was also awesome. Good Pulm/CC and primary care.

3. Duke - may be a tinge more prestigious than UW but Seattle >>>> Durham and since they are comparable in prestige and fellowship opportunities, UW wins. Duke is still an incredible program that I liked a lot.

4. Michigan - as I've mentioned before, this is a very strong, proud, and prestigious program. Also loved the PD. Just wasn't crazy about Ann Arbor.

5. Cornell - slight edge over Sinai IMO especially if interested in heme/onc. NYC is a good location as mentioned above.

6. Mt. Sinai

7. The rest in some order...Mayo is a phenomenal place with good training and awesome research but Rochester...damn.

New account, my regional preference should be fairly obviously from the list, with a few exceptions. Interested in academic medicine, most likely either cards or hospitalist work.

1/2: Duke/UNC: so obviously can't use location to distinguish the two here. Had them pretty far apart of the interview trail, but they were easily my favorite interviews in terms of clicking with the residents. They both seemed to work hard, but valued their time off and very friendly. PDs were both great. Love the area, could see myself happy at either place. Duke has the stellar match list of course, but I'm not sure I'd be giving up too much at UNC.

3/4/5: UVA, UAB, Vandy: struggling with the order on these. Loved the PD at UAB, great residents, and they have a strong clinical education curriculum which is important to me. I love the Charlottesville area for Uva, and the residents all seemed like a lot of fun, and I thought they had a great schedule. Vandy probably has the strongest program out of the bunch, and really enjoyed it there, but a bit far away from my significant other.

6/7/8/9: Emory, OHSU, Cornell, Baylor : really liked all these programs, especially OHSU, but location wasn't as ideal for me, and didn't have the same "gut" feeling I had at my other top programs.

10: Wake

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the way I would do it (again emphasis here on my opinion, prejudices, and preferences, there are multiple "correct" answers):

1. MGH - thought the culture here was a little more supportive and collegial than Hopkins. Boston is a very nice city and location is a plus for me. I think the clinical training and fellowship opportunities from here vs Hopkins are very similar. I know you said your support system is in Baltimore so I get your ranking and do not disagree with your list at all. I also agree Baltimore is probably cheaper than Boston for raising a family. Bigelow system seems a little weird, but the residents seem to like it so I guess its a neutral factor?

2. Hopkins - big Osler fan. elite clinical training. you will work hard and get your a$$ handed to you here but will come out as an excellent, confident, and competent physician who feels comfortable handling whatever comes their way. There is some here say about borderline malignancy at this program as a lot is expected of you very early on in your intern year. As I have said before Boston > Baltimore, but I understand your personal circumstances.

3. Duke - Durham may actually be a good location for a family since COL is cheaper than the big cities. IM training here is phenomenal, also work very hard but residents seem to come out very confident and match very well for fellowship, especially cards. If interested in research DCRI is a big plus. Also heard the PD and faculty go to bat for you big time come fellowship application time.

4. UChicago - Michigan is probably a hair more prestigious but I will take Chicago > Ann Arbor.

5. Michigan - awesome program, love the Michigan pride with the undergrad and football stuff going on. They cap at 8 patients which I honestly think is fine based on my limited clinical experience. Ann Arbor is just a tough pill to swallow...especially for folks who don't like the cold.

6. Baylor - Houston > New Haven. TMC is big and awesome, will provide tons of patient variety and pathology.

7. Yale

8. The rest in some order, don't know that much about the programs and doubt you'll drop this low. Best of luck, you've amassed an impressive list my friend.

1. Hopkins should clearly be your #1. Arguably the most robust and diverse clinical training. And honestly, of all the programs you've listed, the program clearly fits your interests (underserved population, policy). Add on your clear desire to be in the area, and it's easy. I have to say, people that train at Hopkins for IM seem to be obsessed with it in spite of how hard they work, which speaks to the program culture, leadership, and individuals they recruit. You'll have no issue getting into fellowships you want and where you want if your circumstances change.

2. I think Hopkins and MGH would be a tossup for most people fortunate to have that choice. For you, Hopkins seems like the obvious "right fit." MGH #2 makes sense.

3. I think Michigan is very strong. And I'm not sure if saying they do not have" much to offer for health policy" is true at all. The health policy and management department" as part of the school of public health is strong and draws on a lot of Medicine faculty. John Ayanian was recruited from HSPH and the Brigham to run the Institute of healthcare policy and Innovation at Michigan.... he's very nice and you should ask to be put in touch with him if you have questions about policy opportunities. Overall, Michigan's is probably one of the best programs you could go to if you have policy incliniations.

4. Duke is the best of your remaining. Strong all around training, good fellowship opportunities.

I would do (solely based on reputation)...don't think Miami is in the same league as these:
5. U Chicago
6. Yale
7. Baylor

You guys. This is so helpful. Thank you.

Where would you put GW, Georgetown, UVA, and U Maryland compared to the others? I have to figure out for myself if I must be close to Baltimore, but how would you rank them as far as strength of clinical training / reputation / mentorship and research opportunities?

Where would you put GW, Georgetown, UVA, and U Maryland compared to the others? I have to figure out for myself if I must be close to Baltimore, but how would you rank them as far as strength of clinical training / reputation / mentorship and research opportunities?

I think UVA > UMD > GT > GW
I'd think they're around the same league as Miami and Brown

Hey guys, trying to compare UChicago to UPMC and figure out which I want to rank higher. Definitely headed towards fellowship, maybe GI.

UChicago
maybe a little more prestigious
fellowship match seems a little stronger
bigger and more exciting city with sicker patients
perhaps a little more intense? more autonomy, more procedures?

UPMC
cheaper
VA-associated (not sure if I care but maybe I should?)
Pitt seems like a fun place too
4+4 = higher quality of life?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Hey guys, trying to compare UChicago to UPMC and figure out which I want to rank higher. Definitely headed towards fellowship, maybe GI.

UChicago
maybe a little more prestigious
fellowship match seems a little stronger
bigger and more exciting city with sicker patients
perhaps a little more intense? more autonomy, more procedures?

UPMC
cheaper
VA-associated (not sure if I care but maybe I should?)
Pitt seems like a fun place too
4+4 = higher quality of life?

What do you think?

Depends on what you personally value but for me it would be UChicago > UPMC easy. Location is better, people seem to love Chicago and it is considered a world class city with a ton of fun and cool amenities, a little more prestige and academic rep, may be a little easier to get into a competitive fellowship at a top program. I would prefer to have a VA but this isn't a deal breaker for me. I am sure UPMC is a great program as well though don't get me wrong, just a personal preference thing.

Would love to help out but unfortunately I just don't know enough about those programs so my opinion and insight is moot. Maybe one of the vets can chime in like gutonc or jdh. Best of luck.

New account, my regional preference should be fairly obviously from the list, with a few exceptions. Interested in academic medicine, most likely either cards or hospitalist work.

1/2: Duke/UNC: so obviously can't use location to distinguish the two here. Had them pretty far apart of the interview trail, but they were easily my favorite interviews in terms of clicking with the residents. They both seemed to work hard, but valued their time off and very friendly. PDs were both great. Love the area, could see myself happy at either place. Duke has the stellar match list of course, but I'm not sure I'd be giving up too much at UNC.

3/4/5: UVA, UAB, Vandy: struggling with the order on these. Loved the PD at UAB, great residents, and they have a strong clinical education curriculum which is important to me. I love the Charlottesville area for Uva, and the residents all seemed like a lot of fun, and I thought they had a great schedule. Vandy probably has the strongest program out of the bunch, and really enjoyed it there, but a bit far away from my significant other.

6/7/8/9: Emory, OHSU, Cornell, Baylor : really liked all these programs, especially OHSU, but location wasn't as ideal for me, and didn't have the same "gut" feeling I had at my other top programs.

10: Wake

Pretty solid collection of programs with a few stand outs in my opinion (Duke, Vandy, Cornell). Again based on my personal opinion and preference (not facts) I would rank:

1. Duke - strongest program on your list by a somewhat decent margin. Excellent training and if location is not an issue for you I'd easily pick it over UNC. I am sure UNC is a great program but it may not open the doors Duke will.

2. Vanderbilt - loved the PD. Nashville seemed like a cool, hip, and happening city with plenty of stuff to do. Residents seemed chill, it is a smaller more intimate program. Also matches very well.

3. Cornell - NYC is a plus in my opinion. Good fellowship matches especially in heme/onc. May have a little more private/cushy vibe as compared to Columbia and other NYC programs but cannot speak to it in detail, maybe someone with more knowledge of the program can chime in.

4. Emory - Atlanta is a fun city and location is a plus. May be a tad bit malignant. Well respected name though.

5. Baylor - Houston is also a cool city for most people. Texas Medical Center is awesome.

Don't know enough about the others, sorry!

Would appreciate opinions out there regarding the order of my top few programs - AMG interested in academic medicine. Would more than likely enjoy being in a city rather than more rural areas. Regional preference for family is north-east; obviously willing to travel if it increases chances of strong fellowship.

Cornell, Vandy, Mount Sinai, MSBI, Temple

Wondering about the order of my top couple of programs.

Last edited:

Baylor
Vandy
Emory
WashU
Yale
Mayo Rochester
U Miami
UVa
Cleveland Clinic
UAB
Anyone else?

Anyone else?

None of them will hold you back, pick where you liked the people and the place the best. If you're hellbent on prestige, here's a random stranger's opinion.

WashU/Vandy
Mayo/Yale
UAB/UVA/Emory
Baylor
Miami
CC

Would appreciate opinions out there regarding the order of my top few programs - AMG interested in academic medicine. Would more than likely enjoy being in a city rather than more rural areas. Regional preference for family is north-east; obviously willing to travel if it increases chances of strong fellowship. Ranking 13 programs in all - top 6-ish listed below.

1. Cornell - NYPH

2. Vanderbilt

3. Mount Sinai

4. University of North Carolina

5. Temple

6. Mount Sinai Beth Israel

Why in gods name would you rank Sinai BI #6?? It's so far and away worse than any other program on your list. I honestly wouldn't even rank it given the uncertainty with its closing...

Reactions: 2 users
Would appreciate opinions out there regarding the order of my top few programs - AMG interested in academic medicine. Would more than likely enjoy being in a city rather than more rural areas. Regional preference for family is north-east; obviously willing to travel if it increases chances of strong fellowship. Ranking 13 programs in all - top 6-ish listed below.

1. Cornell - NYPH

2. Vanderbilt

3. Mount Sinai

5. Temple

The way you have it is fine. Vandy is stronger than Cornell imo (unless you're set on onc). But NYC is very different than Nashville. You wouldn't be making a sacrifice the way you have things now, I don't think. Interesting that there's a significant stepoff after your top 4.

UMD is a significant step down from Chicago or Michigan, but still a fine choice for you, especially if you're thinking of med-peds - strong clinical training (probably med > peds), supportive program leadership, relatively easy to make connections with Hopkins people for research opportunities or fellowship networking.

In fact, I don't think any program on your list would preclude fellowship at Hopkins in GIM or adolescent medicine, which sounds like a desired next step for you. GW is probably the least prestigious IM program on your list, but research-wise, I'm sure you could find someone interesting to work with at the school of public health there. UVA might be the hardest to justify ranking highly - no med-peds, very good but not spectacular medicine program, not that close to Baltimore.

ETA: you did post a while back that you were mostly applying med-peds, right? Apologies if I have you confused with someone else.

1. Cornell - NYPH

2. Vanderbilt

3. Mount Sinai

5. Temple

Agree with @Daodejing. I think Vanderbilt is slightly stronger than Cornell but due to location, I would probably rank them exactly as you have them.

1. Cornell - NYPH

2. Vanderbilt

3. Mount Sinai

5. Temple

Beth Israel probably shouldn't be on your rank list at all let alone in the top half!

Anything on this list look completely out of place? Thanks in advance!

1.Iowa
2.Loyola
3.South Florida
4.Indiana
5.Rush
6.Wake Forest
7.Cincinnati
8.Loma Linda
9.Louisville

Anything on this list look completely out of place? Thanks in advance!

1.Iowa
2.Loyola
3.South Florida
4.Indiana
5.Rush
6.Wake Forest
7.Cincinnati
8.Loma Linda
9.Louisville

Iowa/Indy (Iowa seems to have a better balance bw didactics and patient care, but Indy has more things to do)
Wake/Cincy (I'd personally pin Cincy slightly higher, but this is personal pref)
Rush
Loyola/USF (USF probably wins here for location and onc. Loyola is good in cards/pulmcc)
Loma/Louisville

Also applying to some West coast programs cause that's home but I have those sorted out

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm looking to go into GI or just being a hospitalist. I am open to other fields and am not 100% committed yet. This is my current order but not sure whether or not I should move up Cedars above Jefferson? Would appreciate any input! Thank you!

Boston Medical Center
Case Western
Tufts Medical Center
University of Rochester
Thomas Jefferson University
Albert Einstein Montefiore
Cedars Sinai
Yale Primary Care
Brown
University of Maryland
Hofstra LIJ
Dartmouth

Hello all! I'm looking to go into GI or just being a hospitalist. I am open to other fields and am not 100% committed yet. This is my current order but not sure whether or not I should move up Cedars above Jefferson? Would appreciate any input! Thank you!

Boston Medical Center
Case Western
Tufts Medical Center
University of Rochester
Cedars Sinai
Yale Primary Care
Brown
University of Maryland
Hofstra LIJ
Dartmouth

I say move case above BMC, but I'm biased ;-) and to be fair, I loved both programs when I interviewed.; they have very similar patient populations.

Large dogs

Not as sorted with my west coast as I thought. Anyone have thoughts on UCSD over UC Davis in terms of research? I have a decent # of pubs between college and med school and would like to keep that up in residency.

Boston Medical Center
Case Western
Tufts Medical Center
University of Rochester
Cedars Sinai
Yale Primary Care
Brown
University of Maryland
Hofstra LIJ
Dartmouth

I wouldn't move it ahead bc Jeff can take you to a good GI match in its own right. If it were me, I would have Tufts and LIJ at the bottom of the list.

This is a solid mid-tier ROL thru and thru, matching GI shouldn't be an issue afterward if you work hard. The Yale PC boggles my mind a little bit, considering your career goals of GI/hospitalist, but to each their own if you're open to trying new things.

Help me rank this please. Having trouble with the last 4. Interested in cards. What do you think about them?
1. Duke
2. U Chicago
3. Northwestern
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Rush
6. UT Houston, UT San Antonio, U New Mexico, U C Northshore

Not as sorted with my west coast as I thought. Anyone have thoughts on UCSD over UC Davis in terms of research? I have a decent # of pubs between college and med school and would like to keep that up in residency.

UCSD no question

Help me rank this please. Having trouble with the last 4. Interested in cards. What do you think about them?
1. Duke
2. U Chicago
3. Northwestern
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Rush
6. UT Houston, UT San Antonio, U New Mexico, U C Northshore

Last four are ok as is. Side note, would probably switch your 2 & 3, but doesn't really matter.

Please help me rank these programs. Interested in Cards vs. Nephrology. No location preference but ideally want a big city.

This is my current rank order list

1. MGH: great but really don't get the Bigelow concept. Limitless research/mentorship opportunities

2. JHH: the Q4 30-hour call days on general medicine months sounded ROUGH. However, from what I saw on ACS rounds, the clinical training here is SECOND TO NONE!

3. UCSF: great but San Francisco is too expensive. Very focused on training excellent internists

4. Vanderbilt: not sure about living in Tennessee. PD was amazing but didn't see a lot of residents on my IV day

5. Wash U: not sure about living in St Louis either. Excellent program leadership

6. Stanford: nice program, puts a premium on individualized career paths.

7. BIDMC: nice program but felt like they were touting the name "HARVARD" too much

8. UPMC: the 4+4 system seemed CLUTCH!!

9. U of Chicago: nice city, nice program.

10. Yale: residents are a very close group and like each other. Great training

11. UVA: nice program, residents seemed happy but Charlottesville is so small, I wonder what people do for fun in this city.

12. Emory: not sure about this one. 6 spots were unfilled last year and there was NO MENTION of this on my interview day. Seemed a bit shady. Not a big fan of the 4-hospital system and the crazy ATL traffic. Not enough interaction with residents on IV day, so hard to really tell if they feel supported.

13. UTSW: excellent program leadership but felt like they went a bit overboard with recruiting. Amazing PD

14. Duke : nice program but honestly didn't vibe well with the residents. It just didn't feel like a good fit for my personality.

Hi all! Another lurker here looking to get some input. I'm pretty undifferentiated in terms of my interests right now but would like to go into academics and will either go with GIM or perhaps cardiology/ID/GI...I dunno...I like everything so far. I'm valuing strength of clinical training (I felt some programs emphasized their clinical training a lot and others emphasized their aspects research/innovation more than their emphasis of clinical training...I personally found myself favoring the former), city without high COL so I don't come out too far behind after residency, supportive and collaborative leadership and residents I feel I can thrive around.

1. Penn - Gut feeling here mostly cause of my interviewers, fellow residents, and program leadership; city is not outrageous when it comes to COL; great balance of training with 3 hospitals and tailored paths to go into physician scientist/meded/quality improvement.

2. Hopkins - Actually thought Baltimore was underrated...I could see myself living here; LOVED the patient-centered approach to rounds and dedication to strong clinical training which I felt was second to none; Really cool PD; But my reservation was that I felt the residents were a bit less "well-off" when it came to wellness/happiness compared to some other programs in my top 5.

3/4/5 (could really use some help here). UCSF/UTSW/Vanderbilt (in no particular order) -
UCSF - Loved the broad clinical training with the 3 hospital system (county, VA, university hosp)!!!, cool and accomplished residents, passionate leadership. Loved the pathways system (felt this was AWESOME as pretty much everyone gets their pick of pathways and it seems to have been around for long enough to be polished and help residents launch careers in QI/meded/research). However, I did feel the COL in SF was exorbitant and I really don't think I would be able to get as much out of the city as some other people would. If it wasn't for COL, I could see this place going up towards #1-2.

UTSW - Loved the 3 hospital system as well and I felt the clinical training was amazing here as well and I really liked the COL in Dallas. Great residents and great PD. Had a really great feeling here! Felt the didactics unfortunately were lacking and no "pathways"-esque system built in but not really a dealbreaker. I had a feeling the program had been going through some reform and changing for the better.

Vanderbilt - Similar sentiments to UTSW; Great PD and residents were pretty sharp. Seems like a really well balanced program like Penn with great clinical training (albeit only 2 hospital system), but good balance with solid research opportunities and happy residents. Liked Nashville but I felt COL here was deceptively higher than made out to be.

6. MGH - Wanted to really love this one but unfortunately it fell a bit short for me. I found the day to be a bit more "subdued" and less energetic than some of my other interviews. I didn't really like the Bigelow system as I think I would miss the ownership of patients but I do see the merits of it (building teamwork I think is what they're going for). Boston was a pretty big turnoff for me (the area around MGH rent prices approached SF!!!).

7. Columbia - I really loved the people and associate PDs I interacted with and I loved the underserved mission, but I felt there was less support built in for residents than any of the other programs above and I didn't like the lack of ancillary services. NYC COL was obviously a turn off.

Rest of the list in order: UW, Duke, WashU, Stanford, Northwestern, UChicago, Mayo.

Could anyone help me rank these three (middle of my list): Cedars Sinai, Brown and Jefferson?

I'm couples matching and my significant other really loves Jefferson, but as someone who wants to be somewhere with competitive research and post-residency opportunities, it seems Brown may be the best spot for reputation/fellowship match list.

It's very tricky also because I might want to do GI but not 100% and I have never lived (or even been to California for more than 10 days) in my life. Thank you!!

Hello all,

Hoping for a little help here. I'm thinking academic medicine, likely GI fellowship. Will likely do a more clinical/clinical research focused fellowship than a basic science focused fellowship (thinking 80/20 clinical to research rather than the other way around). Have a slight Boston preference and prefer medium size city as my wife has job outside of medicine and would need to find new one.

1/2 MGH and BIDMC: Struggling with these two. I definitely felt like I fit in more with the residents at BIDMC overall, though there are also residents at MGH I'd be happy working with. MGH definitely has the stronger reputation and stronger match list. I preferred BIDMC's program director. I preferred the more supported transition at BIDMC (interns don't admit at night) vs. MGH (interns cross cover 24 patients and admit up to four). BIDMC has bigger focus on medical education, one of my interests. MGH seems to have more long term benefits and opportunities, but I doubt BIDMC will close any doors. Preferred MGH patient population.

Vanderbilt (Great GI opportunities, liked Nashville)
Yale (Great GI opportunities, didn't like New Haven as much as Nashville)
BMC (mostly due to Boston preference. Liked the program and research opportunities.)
UNC (Durham seems big enough to have job opportunities, liked the residents, good GI opportunities)
JH Bayview (Baltimore seems good, would hope to stay at JHH for fellowship which it seems like people do, nice small program, seems to have weird coverage system that leads to a lot of long days, a little worried about the community hospital reputation and ability to come back to Boston later)
UVA (Loved the program, but Charlottesville would be really tough to find job that my wife would enjoy, did like Charlottesville though as a place to live)
Tufts
U Maryland
Brown

Thanks for any insight and help!

Could anyone help me rank these three (middle of my list): Cedars Sinai, Brown and Jefferson?

I'm couples matching and my significant other really loves Jefferson, but as someone who wants to be somewhere with competitive research and post-residency opportunities, it seems Brown may be the best spot for reputation/fellowship match list.

It's very tricky also because I might want to do GI but not 100% and I have never lived (or even been to California for more than 10 days) in my life. Thank you!!
Based on your career goals I would say Brown, Jefferson, Cedars. They are all solid programs so go with how you felt

Does anybody from the NYC area have fellowship placement information for Westchester Medical Center(NYMC)? The program did not provide this information and I cannot find it online. Seems a bid weird.

I can't speak about cedars but know it's a good program with good fellowship matches, but I have to disagree on your assessment of brown. I personally would rank Jefferson higher. Brown has a better "name" but does not have a better reputation than Jefferson and I don't know how it is year to year but I've heard the match list at Jefferson is pretty good and probably better than brown. I'd say based on rep they are least least equal if not Jeff a little better. Also Philly>>>providence. Plus your SO likes Jeff so that is a huge plus too

Agree with above that Jefferson > Brown
Don't get distracted by the "Ivy league" status of their undergrad.

Does anybody from the NYC area have fellowship placement information for Westchester Medical Center(NYMC)? The program did not provide this information and I cannot find it online. Seems a bid weird.

That's a bad sign. Did you ask them for it directly? You're applying for a spot in their residency program afterall. The process is already stacked in their favor enough. The least you can do is ask for more information to make an informed decision.

Hi all! Another lurker here looking to get some input. I'm pretty undifferentiated in terms of my interests right now but would like to go into academics and will either go with GIM or perhaps cardiology/ID/GI...I dunno...I like everything so far. I'm valuing strength of clinical training (I felt some programs emphasized their clinical training a lot and others emphasized their aspects research/innovation more than their emphasis of clinical training...I personally found myself favoring the former), city without high COL so I don't come out too far behind after residency, supportive and collaborative leadership and residents I feel I can thrive around.

1. Penn - Gut feeling here mostly cause of my interviewers, fellow residents, and program leadership; city is not outrageous when it comes to COL; great balance of training with 3 hospitals and tailored paths to go into physician scientist/meded/quality improvement.

2. Hopkins - Actually thought Baltimore was underrated...I could see myself living here; LOVED the patient-centered approach to rounds and dedication to strong clinical training which I felt was second to none; Really cool PD; But my reservation was that I felt the residents were a bit less "well-off" when it came to wellness/happiness compared to some other programs in my top 5.

3/4/5 (could really use some help here). UCSF/UTSW/Vanderbilt (in no particular order) -
UCSF - Loved the broad clinical training with the 3 hospital system (county, VA, university hosp)!!!, cool and accomplished residents, passionate leadership. Loved the pathways system (felt this was AWESOME as pretty much everyone gets their pick of pathways and it seems to have been around for long enough to be polished and help residents launch careers in QI/meded/research). However, I did feel the COL in SF was exorbitant and I really don't think I would be able to get as much out of the city as some other people would. If it wasn't for COL, I could see this place going up towards #1-2.

UTSW - Loved the 3 hospital system as well and I felt the clinical training was amazing here as well and I really liked the COL in Dallas. Great residents and great PD. Had a really great feeling here! Felt the didactics unfortunately were lacking and no "pathways"-esque system built in but not really a dealbreaker. I had a feeling the program had been going through some reform and changing for the better.

Vanderbilt - Similar sentiments to UTSW; Great PD and residents were pretty sharp. Seems like a really well balanced program like Penn with great clinical training (albeit only 2 hospital system), but good balance with solid research opportunities and happy residents. Liked Nashville but I felt COL here was deceptively higher than made out to be.

6. MGH - Wanted to really love this one but unfortunately it fell a bit short for me. I found the day to be a bit more "subdued" and less energetic than some of my other interviews. I didn't really like the Bigelow system as I think I would miss the ownership of patients but I do see the merits of it (building teamwork I think is what they're going for). Boston was a pretty big turnoff for me (the area around MGH rent prices approached SF!!!).

7. Columbia - I really loved the people and associate PDs I interacted with and I loved the underserved mission, but I felt there was less support built in for residents than any of the other programs above and I didn't like the lack of ancillary services. NYC COL was obviously a turn off.

Rest of the list in order: UW, Duke, WashU, Stanford, Northwestern, UChicago, Mayo.
I had a similar list of programs last year, and given where you interviewed, you will be successful no matter where you train. I had reservations about MGH, but ended up ranking it #4 behind Penn, Brigham, and UCSF. I felt that the opportunities there (and probably at some of your lower-ranked programs like Duke and Stanford) were too strong to drop low on the list. UTSW was very impressive, especially in terms of clinical training, and other than being in Dallas I would have ranked it highly as well. In terms of clinical training, my impression is that UCSF, MGH, Penn, UTSW, Duke, Columbia, and UW are particularly strong. I'm less familiar with Vanderbilt/WashU/UChicago, but Stanford and Mayo seemed to offer a bit less autonomy.

All of these programs will keep doors open in any specialty, and much of the decision will come down to other factors like where you'd like to live, where you have a support system, and if a program has a particularly unique opportunity (eg. I don't think UTSW is particularly known for global or public health, whereas some of the other programs have strong opportunities in these areas).

Thanks, any additional comments on last four?

UTH has Texas Heart next door...pretty terrific cards opportunity if you can take advantage. San Antonio is a very underrated program and provides solid training. UNM...not a fan of ABQ really and fellowship matches are like ~88%. No idea about NorthShore, but given your list, the community program should go behind all the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.