Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't love Mount Sinai on interview day - but I'm wondering if it is a mistake to have it so low on the list (below Bayview, Beth Israel, and Yale) since I believe it is a strong program?

Mt Sinai is in no way a stronger program than BID or Yale. So no, not a mistake.

Is Stanford really considered a stronger program then Columbia, location aside?

No. Stanford and Columbia are similar in terms of reputation with the caveat that they are very different programs in categories other than prestige (for a lot of the reasons mentioned above).

not at all--i interviewed at both places and got the sense that columbia is significantly stronger in IM than stanford. i think stanford sounds prestigious because of all the amazing things going on elsewhere in the university, but to me most of it seems largely irrelevant to clinical training.

Yeah, I was trying not to get swept up into the allure of Stanford's stellar reputation as an undergraduate school and med school. I felt that both Stanford and Yale were places whose IM programs don't quite live up to the "prestige" of the name.
I agree 100%.

Again this is just my single opinion, but I consider Columbia's internal medicine training program to be much (much) stronger than Stanford's in terms of general, hands on, bread and butter clinical training. I agree with both the sentiments above. Stanford undergrad and medical school are amazing, prestigious, flagship programs but I think one needs to be careful about assuming the general IM clinical training is equally as strong. I have good friends who are IM residents at Stanford and they seem very happy and content with their training. They see a lot of patients and are involved in their care. I think this sort of program is appealing for someone who may not want the grueling, a$$ kicking, rigorous training thats found at a Columbia or Duke for example, and thats fine, different people want different things. Go wherever you think you'll be happiest and where you think the training style best fits your personality and interests. There will be NO limitations in terms of fellowship or job opportunities coming from either so don't let that influence your decision making.

Best of luck!

The ACGME has made clinical training more homogenous than these posts suggest. Places like Duke and Columbia still have a "hardass" reputation leftover from less regulated times but the clinical training will differ more in terms of the patient population, personality, support and timing of autonomy than in rigor of training or clinical volume. The biggest differences you will see between IM residencies are in 1) Location 2) Research opportunities and 3) Fellowship opportunities. Do you want to Tinder your face off? Go for NYC or San Fran. Are you married with kids? Maybe consider steering clear of the uber expensive cities unless you have an alternate source of income. Do you REALLY want to wear a Hopkins tie on Fridays? You get the idea. You will get fantastic clinical training at the majority of these places.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi need help ranking: I wanna do GI

1. UIC
Albert Einstein Philadelphia
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
UMiss
Albany medical center
Lahey clinic
UConn
SUNY upstate
Nebraska
WVU
U Oklahoma
Bridgeport
NYP queens

Members don't see this ad :)
Any insight into how Gtown, GWU, Inova, and Hopkins Bayview stack up for someone interested in hospitalist medicine? Thanks!

Help me rank. Interested in Cards/crit care.

Wash U
UVA
UMD
UNC
Rush
Temple
VCU
GW
HFH
Wake
Loyola
UMass
Rutgers
IU
SUNY upstate

Help me rank. Interested in Cards/crit care.

Wash U
UVA
UMD
UNC
Rush
Temple
VCU
GW
HFH
Wake
Loyola
UMass
Rutgers
IU
SUNY upstate
UNC should be 2 or 3. Wake, UMass and Rutgers maybe a little higher...or not...whatever man, it's your list, not mine. Otherwise fine.

I agree 100%.

Again this is just my single opinion, but I consider Columbia's internal medicine training program to be much (much) stronger than Stanford's in terms of general, hands on, bread and butter clinical training. I agree with both the sentiments above. Stanford undergrad and medical school are amazing, prestigious, flagship programs but I think one needs to be careful about assuming the general IM clinical training is equally as strong. I have good friends who are IM residents at Stanford and they seem very happy and content with their training. They see a lot of patients and are involved in their care. I think this sort of program is appealing for someone who may not want the grueling, a$$ kicking, rigorous training thats found at a Columbia or Duke for example, and thats fine, different people want different things. Go wherever you think you'll be happiest and where you think the training style best fits your personality and interests. There will be NO limitations in terms of fellowship or job opportunities coming from either so don't let that influence your decision making.

Best of luck!

Agree that Columbia IM clinical training much stronger than Stanford, esp when considering subpar gen IM training at Stanford. Slightl disagree re fellowship - Stanford's fellowship match has become more regional/Stanford centric over the years.

Do agree that Stanford is hard to beat if interested in innovation.

p diddy

Agree that Columbia IM clinical training much stronger than Stanford, esp when considering subpar gen IM training at Stanford. Slightl disagree re fellowship - Stanford's fellowship match has become more regional/Stanford centric over the years.

p diddy

Thanks for the insight. I am curious though could Stanford's regional/institutional bias be a result of resident selection? Like for example, are these Stanford folks deciding to stay at Stanford but could go elsewhere if they wanted to or do you really think they are limited? Because I got the impression they were choosing to stay but interviewed at top programs everywhere and had the opportunity to go elsewhere if desired.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the insight. I am curious though could Stanford's regional/institutional bias be a result of resident selection? Like for example, are these Stanford folks deciding to stay at Stanford but could go elsewhere if they wanted to or do you really think they are limited? Because I got the impression they were choosing to stay but interviewed at top programs everywhere and had the opportunity to go elsewhere if desired.

That is possibly the case, but also shows why match lists shouldn't be as large a factor in comparing programs as some on SDN like to do. You never know what someone's application looked like (md/PhD, chief, research year, connections, etc.) and you never know what their situation or personal preferences were. Stanford and other programs in desirable areas likely have a bit more of self selection bias reflected in their match lists. However, I think there's something to be said for programs that send their residents all over the country as it broadens the network, spreads the reputation and can help when others want to match elsewhere.

p diddy
Can you say more about the general IM training being weak at Stanford? I'd heard how their crit care training isn't the best, but that was the main area of weakness that I'd gleaned.

Hey all, would appreciate some thoughts on ranking a few middle programs on my list, interested in heme/onc.

4) U Minnesota - seemed like a strong program, nice people, great onc, good city to live in.
5) Indiana University - nice people, strong program, decent size city with things to do, good opportunities.
6) University of Utah - seemed like a strong program, and def a great onc program, but I did get kinda a weird vibe, not really into skiing
7) Loyola - major pro is it is in Chicago where I have family -- should this be moved up more or good where it is? Liked the program and the people, but the residents seems overworked and distance from the city isn't great
8) VCU - also have family in this area, loved the PD, seemed like it was a weaker program than the ones above?

Any major changes you'd recommend or insights? Thanks in advance!

Best (easiest) program for prelims? How would you rank these:

Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Staten Island
Forest Hills

Members don't see this ad :)
Best (easiest) program for prelims? How would you rank these:

Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Staten Island
Forest Hills

Winthrop seemed like a popular choice for prelim among my former classmates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

am i making a huge mistake ranking UW before duke? i felt like i would get really rigorous training at UW and I liked the PD a lot there. i also like seattle >> durham. however, i think the resident camaraderie was much more palpable at duke, but i don't know that i would fit in with them. fwiw, i think i want to be a hospitalist, maybe geri.

Hi need help ranking: I wanna do GI

1. UIC
Albert Einstein Philadelphia
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
UMiss
Albany medical center
Lahey clinic
UConn
SUNY upstate
Nebraska
WVU
U Oklahoma
Bridgeport
NYP queens

You have some quality invites! I think most of these will be able to get you into GI. If you are dead set on GI, UNMC strongly favors their own graduates, and you would be all but guaranteed the fellowship going there.

1. Mt Sinai Beth Israel - Mount Sinai name and great connections. PD really goes to bat for residents when it comes to getting fellowships (phone calls, etc), plus you get a great location in New York.
2. UConn - GI almost always hold a spot for an in-house applicant
3. UIC - typically only matches 2-3 residents/year to GI of 35 categorical, matches better for cards, but a pretty decent program overall despite being 4-5th most prestigious in Chicago depending on who you ask
4. UNMC - almost always give GI fellowships to in house candidates, if there are in-house candidates. Nebraska produces a lot of hospitalists which limits competition considerably for in-house jobs plus Omaha is a great city and the program leadership is excellent
5. AE Philadelphia - community program with in-house fellowship for GI. Probably not as strong as UMiss but Philly is a great city!
6. UMiss - great reputation
7. SUNY Upstate - decent opportunity to shine with a lot of Caribbean IMGs in the program, also has in-house GI.
8. Lahey - reputation for getting people into GI for a small community program
9. Oklahoma - may be better program than Lahey but Boston-suburbs are a highly desirable location, and Oklahoma not so much.
10. Bridgeport - great ties to Yale and great fellowship opportunities
11. Albany Med - dark horse option, they don't send loads of residents to fellowships and they have in-house GI
12. West Virginia University
13. NYP Queens

am i making a huge mistake ranking UW before duke? i felt like i would get really rigorous training at UW and I liked the PD a lot there. i also like seattle >> durham. however, i think the resident camaraderie was much more palpable at duke, but i don't know that i would fit in with them. fwiw, i think i want to be a hospitalist, maybe geri.

Nope....

The only question for me would be can you handle the constant dreariness during the winter months in Seattle when you're waist deep in intern blues.

For what it's worth im ranking UW > Duke. I loved both programs but Seattle >>> Durham. Program prestige is similar and fellowship match potential is also similar. I agree the residents were much closer at Duke but I think UW's program is so big that you will find your people and your clique within the program and you will be happy. As I have mentioned before I think I just fell in love with Seattle so perhaps my view is a bit skewed.

Bottom line, I think they are close enough that other factors should take precedence such as location, etc.

Not crazy at all. Comparable programs, both first-rate. I personally prefer Duke but it's close. Go with wherever you got the sense you will be happier. Good luck!

You have some quality invites! I think most of these will be able to get you into GI. If you are dead set on GI, UNMC strongly favors their own graduates, and you would be all but guaranteed the fellowship going there.

1. Mt Sinai Beth Israel - Mount Sinai name and great connections. PD really goes to bat for residents when it comes to getting fellowships (phone calls, etc), plus you get a great location in New York.
3. UIC - typically only matches 2-3 residents/year to GI of 35 categorical, matches better for cards, but a pretty decent program overall despite being 4-5th most prestigious in Chicago depending on who you ask
4. UNMC - almost always give GI fellowships to in house candidates, if there are in-house candidates. Nebraska produces a lot of hospitalists which limits competition considerably for in-house jobs plus Omaha is a great city and the program leadership is excellent
5. AE Philadelphia - community program with in-house fellowship for GI. Probably not as strong as UMiss but Philly is a great city!
7. SUNY Upstate - decent opportunity to shine with a lot of Caribbean IMGs in the program, also has in-house GI.
9. Oklahoma - may be better program than Lahey but Boston-suburbs are a highly desirable location, and Oklahoma not so much.
11. Albany Med - dark horse option, they don't send loads of residents to fellowships and they have in-house GI
13. NYP Queens
Just making sure you are aware beth israel is shifting to an outpatient facility and old hospital will close. Future of the program is unclear

Reactions: 1 user

Nope. Both are great, go with your gut.

Can anyone comment more specifically about Penn vs Duke?

Obviously great programs with top notch fellowship match, but aside from location what are some pluses and minuses of each program?

Thanks!

Can any help me rank the below programs based on reputation and general fellowship chances (not decided yet)
SLU -VCU - GW

Thanks a lot

Obviously great programs with top notch fellowship match, but aside from location what are some pluses and minuses of each program?

Thanks!

Interviewed at both programs so I can provide my input. Objectively, with my biases aside, these two programs seemed more similar than different. Both well balanced programs that seemed strong in everything without glaring flaws. Three hospital system at both, high autonomy and ownership, great reputation, I felt the house staff were all very happy and cohesive but I felt Penn might have had an edge for me (but depends on who we meet and our mood during interview day, obviously). The schedule at Duke transitioned to 4+2 this year (from 4+1) and there was a general theme from the interns that suggested that quality of life and balance has been improving a lot over the years. An intern told me he was really surprised how much time he had even during intern year with the new schedule. Penn is 6+2 so from a balance of IP/OP, Duke might have an edge here. One thing I noticed is there always seemed to be a large amount of Duke residents matching into cardiology and at Penn it seemed more balanced. I think Duke was able to place about 20 residents into cards last year, which is pretty impressive. Penn's match list is amazing as well but it seems more spread out through the other specialities as well as hospitalist medicine/primary care than Duke, which I liked. Both great research opportunities from what I can glean. Duke emphasized its strength with DCRI where residents put out a lot of meaningful research with faculty. Penn has several tracks for med ed/QI/global health and I don't recall if Duke had similar but I imagine they did. Durham vs Philly is obviously up to you. For me, I'll be ranking Penn higher really just because of location (Philly is better for spouse's career) and people I clicked with better on interview day.

Would love some help with my middle few programs. Interested in good general medicine training, but not closing any doors to fellowship.

UAB - location is alright, amazing hospital, has a VA, good fellowship match. Thought it was the strongest of the bunch.
Hopkins Bayview - Insane match list and residents work hard. But seemed like it was mainly bread and butter medicine with opportunities to go to Hopkins for ICU months and electives.
UVA - College town, good match list. Small hospital and no VA.
Yale Primary Care Program - I figured I would check out a PC track. Was really amazed by the opportunities for global health work. Their residents are trained very well. Heavy on inpatient procedures, and can be a great hospitalist or PC care doctor coming out of here.
Jefferson - Thought the location was a plus and the residents were amazing. But not sure how strong the program is compared to the other programs on the list.
Ohio State - College town, good match list, and good opportunities to do research.
Georgetown - Personally didn't like the program that much. Was thrown off by no pre-interview dinner, and didn't get to interact with many residents. DC is kind of expensive, but they have good opportunities to get involved in policy work and have a solid match list.

You get the gist. I feel like all these programs are very similar. I'd be happy at any one of them because for me they are all in mediocre places to live and build a career. Maybe rank them by prestige? Not sure.

Last edited:
Would love some help with my middle few programs. Interested in good general medicine training, but not closing any doors to fellowship.

UAB - location is alright, amazing hospital, has a VA, good fellowship match. Thought it was the strongest of the bunch.
Hopkins Bayview - Insane match list and residents work hard. But seemed like it was mainly bread and butter medicine with opportunities to go to Hopkins for ICU months and electives.
UVA - College town, good match list. Small hospital and no VA.
Yale Primary Care Program - I figured I would check out a PC track. Was really amazed by the opportunities for global health work. Their residents are trained very well. Heavy on inpatient procedures, and can be a great hospitalist or PC care doctor coming out of here.
Jefferson - Thought the location was a plus and the residents were amazing. But not sure how strong the program is compared to the other programs on the list.
Ohio State - College town, good match list, and good opportunities to do research.
Georgetown - Personally didn't like the program that much. Was thrown off by no pre-interview dinner, and didn't get to interact with many residents. DC is kind of expensive, but they have good opportunities to get involved in policy work and have a solid match list.

You get the gist. I feel like all these programs are very similar. I'd be happy at any one of them because for me they are all in mediocre places to live and build a career. Maybe rank them by prestige? Not sure.

I would put UAB and UVA as the top two, I thought both were phenomenal programs, and really enjoyed UAB especially. If you do want to do primary care, Yale PC would def be a great option. I'd think Jefferson (my fav location and a very strong program) and Ohio State are next, closely followed by Bayview and lastly Georgetown.

13. NYP Queens
Thanks man! Appreciate the input with good reasons!

Just making sure you are aware beth israel is shifting to an outpatient facility and old hospital will close. Future of the program is unclear
Yes will take that into account for sure

Hey Guys,

I am a bit confused on which program to rank first. Should it be Baylor University (Dallas) Or SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)?

Baylor-Dallas is smaller size community program (I guess university affiliated?) in a relatively cheaper city.
There is no scut work and much better working environment but with probably less exposure to rare cases.
While SUNY-Downstate is a big size university program in a much more expensive city.
There is some scut work and nursing staff is less helpful but there is extensive exposure to pathologies.

So which one would you recommend first? Especially regarding reputation and better fellowship placement?

I interviewed at Beth Israel and here is what they told us.

Mount Sinai is building a new smaller hospital in the area that will replace Beth Israel supposedly by 2020. The new hospital is supposed to have something like 70 med surg beds and medicine is supposed to get 50% or more of those beds. (The current hospital has 800 bed capacity). This year they are taking the "full" complement of categorical residents and in the next few years as they transition they will take more prelim residents and less categorical. They have said that at the new building the residency program will consist of 1/3 time inpatient which is the ACGME requirement. Perhaps they will become an official "Primary Care" residency?

They said they are committed to a good resident education and will support the residents through the transition. The sense I got was that they were hinting that the worse thing to deal with would be having rotations at other Mount Sinai locations (West, Elmhurst, Mount Sinai, etc). For example if they close a certain department you wanted to spend elective time in you would have to go to a sister hospital.

The uncertainty is certainly no fun, I'm still debating myself how to rank this program...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Interested in a competitive fellowship. Would like to live in a big city, not the suburbs, but if there is a significant difference in training I would rank the suburban programs higher than lesser city programs.

Lenox Hill
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Winthrop
Mount Sinai Medic Center Miami
NYMC-Westchester
Staten Island
Lutheran - NY
Methodist - NY
SUNY Upstate
NYP-Queens

I interviewed at Beth Israel and here is what they told us.

Mount Sinai is building a new smaller hospital in the area that will replace Beth Israel supposedly by 2020. The new hospital is supposed to have something like 70 med surg beds and medicine is supposed to get 50% or more of those beds. (The current hospital has 800 bed capacity). This year they are taking the "full" complement of categorical residents and in the next few years as they transition they will take more prelim residents and less categorical. They have said that at the new building the residency program will consist of 1/3 time inpatient which is the ACGME requirement. Perhaps they will become an official "Primary Care" residency?

They said they are committed to a good resident education and will support the residents through the transition. The sense I got was that they were hinting that the worse thing to deal with would be having rotations at other Mount Sinai locations (West, Elmhurst, Mount Sinai, etc). For example if they close a certain department you wanted to spend elective time in you would have to go to a sister hospital.

The uncertainty is certainly no fun, I'm still debating myself how to rank this program...

None of this sounds reassuring

None of this sounds reassuring

Ya I don't understand why people still are planning on ranking this program. Totally not worth the risk.

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to decide between these 4 programs. Priority: Cards match, strong clinical training. Interested in academic medicine.

Current order:
1. CCF - thought the faculty were great. Great research, but they were trying really hard to sell the #2 hospital by US NEWS thing, and talked a lot about their rank throughout the day. Lots of IMGs. Am I missing a big red flag about this place?
2. Iowa
3. UIC
4. Indiana

As I and many others mentioned the iv day felt pretty creepy.. Many people from my school (A DO school) do rotations at ccf. This is a large referral center. Most of the patients that they get have been extensively investigated elsewhere. So how do u get to learn to play the internist ? They claim to have addressed this issue but in reality they have not. The attendings are t0p doctors no doubt. But they run large practices (that is how CCF is modelled after all) and are not necessarily interested in teaching.They are more interested in the numbers and the bottom-line. Most people from my osteopathic school rank it lower down and keep it as a backup option. One of the reason why they have a great match is because they get top quality IMGs ,who I too I suspect are swayed by the marketing blitz the clinic puts up. Many of these people have been practicing physicians in the home country and have dozens of published articles before beginning the residency. These people would match wherever they go. The people who don't come up with a lot of research often remain unmatched. Something which the clinic often hides is that its residents need to work much harder than a university program in order to get comparable fellowships. Hence the blitz of US-News rankings.. I am quite sure people from mid-tier and upper mid tier university programs (iowa,Nebraska , Oklahoma etc) can get any fellowship they desire . my 2 cents .

Last edited:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Interested in a competitive fellowship. Would like to live in a big city, not the suburbs, but if there is a significant difference in training I would rank the suburban programs higher than lesser city programs.

Lenox Hill
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Winthrop
Mount Sinai Medic Center Miami
NYMC-Westchester
Staten Island
Lutheran - NY
Methodist - NY
SUNY Upstate
NYP-Queens
I would put westcheater above sinai miami. As you can see from above beth israel is a gamble. I think you could argue winthrop and lenox are similar

Ya I don't understand why people still are planning on ranking this program. Totally not worth the risk.

The head of Mount Sinai Health System spoke to us on interview day. There is uncertainty with regard to the specifics, yes, but I feel strongly that the program is in good hands. The worst case scenario makes it sound like Beth Israel residents will rotate through Mount Sinai West, St Luke's, and Mount Sinai East (the main Mount Sinai) which I find exciting! I think that would be a positive for the residency program and not diminish it in any way. Mount Sinai East is a world class hospital plus it offers the opportunity to rotate at Memorial Sloan Kettering, not to mention that Beth Israel, St Luke's, and West are all pretty decent too. A major strength of this program is the Mount Sinai name, and I trust the brand. The opportunity to rotate all around New York is another major benefit!

Thanks!

Interviewed at both programs so I can provide my input. Objectively, with my biases aside, these two programs seemed more similar than different. Both well balanced programs that seemed strong in everything without glaring flaws. Three hospital system at both, high autonomy and ownership, great reputation, I felt the house staff were all very happy and cohesive but I felt Penn might have had an edge for me (but depends on who we meet and our mood during interview day, obviously). The schedule at Duke transitioned to 4+2 this year (from 4+1) and there was a general theme from the interns that suggested that quality of life and balance has been improving a lot over the years. An intern told me he was really surprised how much time he had even during intern year with the new schedule. Penn is 6+2 so from a balance of IP/OP, Duke might have an edge here. One thing I noticed is there always seemed to be a large amount of Duke residents matching into cardiology and at Penn it seemed more balanced. I think Duke was able to place about 20 residents into cards last year, which is pretty impressive. Penn's match list is amazing as well but it seems more spread out through the other specialities as well as hospitalist medicine/primary care than Duke, which I liked. Both great research opportunities from what I can glean. Duke emphasized its strength with DCRI where residents put out a lot of meaningful research with faculty. Penn has several tracks for med ed/QI/global health and I don't recall if Duke had similar but I imagine they did. Durham vs Philly is obviously up to you. For me, I'll be ranking Penn higher really just because of location (Philly is better for spouse's career) and people I clicked with better on interview day.

Agree with much of what @Compound606 said.

I also interviewed at these two programs and liked them both very much. Thought the Duke residents were a little more cool/outgoing than the Penn residents but it may have just been sampling bias from the residents that showed up to my pre-interview dinner. The Duke match list was dominated by cardiology and I don't think I have seen a better match list for cards at any other program I've interviewed at, although I did notice it was somewhat Duke heavy. Penn's match list was very spread out across the country and the residents matched at very strong programs across the board (UW, MGH, Stanford, UCSF, Michigan, Hopkins, etc), it was impressive as well.

I honestly thought Penn had no real flaws, it is an amazing program that I loved. I thought Philadelphia wasn't the best city but easily >>> Durham, IMO. Honestly, can't go wrong with either so go with your gut, location, proximity to family, etc.

Best of luck!

I would really appreciate some input on my tentative ROL. Future interest- maybe Rheum fellowship. Location- prefer NYC, but flexible

- NYMC Westchester
- U Conn
- Jacobi AECOM
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel- The "transformation" is a little scary, which is the sense I get on this thread as well, but it has a great name, and I really liked the program, but not sure how I would be seen graduating from here, applying for fellowship
- Einstein Medical Center, Philly
- Washington Hospital Center DC
- Montefiore New Rochelle- affiliated to AECOM
- Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn
- Sinai Hospital Baltimore- affiliated to Hopkins
- Morehouse, Atlanta
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami
- Saint Barnabas, NJ
- Nassau University Medical Center, Long Island
- Richmond University Med Center, Staten Island
- UPMC, McKeesport
- University of Illinois Urbana

Thanks!

I would really appreciate some input on my tentative ROL. Future interest- maybe Rheum fellowship. Location- prefer NYC, but flexible

- NYMC Westchester
- U Conn
- Jacobi AECOM
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel- The "transformation" is a little scary, which is the sense I get on this thread as well, but it has a great name, and I really liked the program, but not sure how I would be seen graduating from here, applying for fellowship
- Morehouse, Atlanta
- Saint Barnabas, NJ
- UPMC, McKeesport

Thanks!
Einstein philly should be in your top three based on solid fellowship placement, great training, and proven research/consistently amond highest board pass. With that said, if you didnt like it for whatever reason forget what i saod

Hey. I have my top 6 pretty much set, but I need help with the bottom part of my list. I want to do academic medicine with a focus on clinical education. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pursue fellowship, but not sure which one yet.

7-8-9: Montefiore, Temple or UVA -Out of the 3, my favorite was UVA. In fact, if UVA wasn't in Charlottesville, VA, it might very well be in my top 3 or 4. I'm just unsure of being this far from home, which is why, currently I have UVA after Monty and Temple. Monty and Temple are very similar in terms of patients they serve and the fellowship match lists. Both are in not so desirable locations that will require me to live either on the UES (expensive!) or center city (also expensive!). I'm not sure which one will offer better clinical training without the crazy scut work/work hours.

10-14: In no particular order
GW -I really liked the PD and the options to do policy work during residency. I just felt that the hospital was on the smaller side and not sure how the clinical training compares to the other 4 in this group. DC is also pretty expensive.
Brown -Unsure why I didn't really like the program during my interview day. No block system. Noon conference didn't really blow me away. But it seems like faculty is very supportive and living in providence will be close to major cities (NYC, Boston) with good cost of living and food around.
Tufts -Loved the morning report and loved the chief resident I interviewed with, but everything went downhill during lunch time when I was with a pretty shy group of residents who barely initiated conversation. Also, it's a smaller program and it seems like they're pretty overworked. I love Boston though, but I have other Boston programs in my top 6.
Rochester -Unsure about being in Upstate, NY. Hospital seemed really empty without patients during interview day.
Hofstra-LIJ -I really liked the PD! Really GREAT salary and also less than an hour away from NYC. However, I don't know where it stands in terms of prestige and clinical training in comparison to the other programs i have in my bottom half. Also, there was no morning report or noon conference to attend so unsure how the teaching is at Hofstra.

Thanks!

Need help with a couple of choices. Goal is to get solid clinical training, do meaningful research, and go into fellowship (not cards/GI) for a career in academic medicine in some capacity. Location is equal between these places for me, and they both seem to have very solid match lists with doors wide open geographically as well as professionally.

University of Chicago vs Vanderbilt: Really loved both programs, and they seem to both stress resident autonomy in their clinical training. Vandy's research enterprise is larger at the time, and I've heard some rumblings about UoC maybe trending towards losing some of their medicine faculty in recent years? I'm not sure how substantiated those are, but I worry that their previous highly academic reputation may be waning a bit. I think Vandy has traditionally the more "prestigious" reputation, but not sure how much of that is simply based off the name, vs the training.

The head of Mount Sinai Health System spoke to us on interview day. There is uncertainty with regard to the specifics, yes, but I feel strongly that the program is in good hands. The worst case scenario makes it sound like Beth Israel residents will rotate through Mount Sinai West, St Luke's, and Mount Sinai East (the main Mount Sinai) which I find exciting! I think that would be a positive for the residency program and not diminish it in any way. Mount Sinai East is a world class hospital plus it offers the opportunity to rotate at Memorial Sloan Kettering, not to mention that Beth Israel, St Luke's, and West are all pretty decent too. A major strength of this program is the Mount Sinai name, and I trust the brand. The opportunity to rotate all around New York is another major benefit!

I highly doubt they're going to dilute the residency experience of the residents at their flagship hospital (mount Sinai east) by having Beth Israel residents doing core rotations there. You'll probably end up doing core rotations at St Lukes, Roosevelt, Elmhurst and other small community hospitals with mount Sinai east and Sloan offered as electives.

I highly doubt they're going to dilute the residency experience of the residents at their flagship hospital (mount Sinai east) by having Beth Israel residents doing core rotations there. You'll probably end up doing core rotations at St Lukes, Roosevelt, Elmhurst and other small community hospitals with mount Sinai east and Sloan offered as electives.

yes and yes. no way they are sending people to sinai east

Einstein philly should be in your top three based on solid fellowship placement, great training, and proven research/consistently amond highest board pass. With that said, if you didnt like it for whatever reason forget what i saod
Thank you so much for your input! I actually did really like Einstein Philly as well.

What do you think of NYMC Westchester? They seemed to be a great program with a very academic environment with a lot of resident publications, great faculty along with good clinical exposure. But they don't have any information about where their residents match for fellowships on their website.

What according to you should my top 5 be in terms of reputation?
- NYMC Westchester
- U Conn
- Jacobi AECOM
- Morehouse, Atlanta
- Saint Barnabas, NJ
- UPMC, McKeesport

Thank you so much for your input! I actually did really like Einstein Philly as well.

What do you think of NYMC Westchester? They seemed to be a great program with a very academic environment with a lot of resident publications, great faculty along with good clinical exposure. But they don't have any information about where their residents match for fellowships on their website.

What according to you should my top 5 be in terms of reputation?
- NYMC Westchester
- U Conn
- Jacobi AECOM
- Morehouse, Atlanta
- Saint Barnabas, NJ
- UPMC, McKeesport
I interviewed at westchester and it is extremely shady that they hid fellowship information, i had to email them ten times before i got the information. I guess a lot depends on what your top priorities are? I personally would say einstein philly, nymc, uconn in no particular order

I interviewed at westchester and it is extremely shady that they hid fellowship information, i had to email them ten times before i got the information. I guess a lot depends on what your top priorities are? I personally would say einstein philly, nymc, uconn in no particular order
Thank you for your input. Would you mind sharing that information with me?

Thank you for your input. Would you mind sharing that information with me?
Academic Year 2013-2014

PGY-3 Class

• Cardiology fellowship (Lehigh Valley , PA)-1
• Cardiology fellowship-( St Luke’s, PA)-1
• Endocrine fellowship (Virginia Commonwealth)-1
• Hematology Oncology fellowship (MUSC)-1
• Nephrology fellowship(WMC)-2
• Pulmonary critical care fellowship (WMC)-1
• Primary Care & hospitalist-4
Graduating Chief Residents:

• Cardiology ( WMC)-1
• Cardiology ( Cook County-Chicago)-1
• Hematology-Oncology ( Albert Einstein-Philadelphia)-1

Academic Year 2014-2015

PGY-3 Class

● Cardiology fellowship (Cook County)-1
● Cardiology fellowship-(University of Miami)-1
● Rheumatology fellowship (WMC)-1
● Rheumatology fellowship( HSS , NY)-1
● Hematology Oncology fellowship (WMC)-3
● Nephrology fellowship(Lennox Hill)-1
● Critical Care (Cleveland Clinic)-2
● Hospitalist ( U Penn)-1

● Cardiology ( WMC)-2
● Cardiology ( Brown)-1

Academic Year 2015-2016

PGY-3 Class

● Chief Resident-1 ( Metropolitan)
● Gastroenterology ( Univ of Iowa)-1
● Gastroenterology ( William Beaumont, MI)-1
● Nephrology fellowship(WMC)-1
● Cardiology –Research ( Kansas )-1
● ID Fellowship (WMC)-1
● Hospitalist -3
● Primary Care -1

● Cardiology ( Montefiore )-1
● Cardiology ( Brown)-1
● Cardiology ( UT Houston)-1

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think of UAB vs Case? Loved program leadership at both but felt like I connected better with Case residents although UAB is awesome program itself. Like Cleveland more than Birmingham but unwilling to let location alone decide it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

It all depends on what you want. As a resident at Downstate, you will certainly see a lot, but you will also work hard. The teaching really depends on the attendings, but I have heard from residents the teaching falls short compared to other big university programs. There will be a lot of frustrations, partially because of the hospital systems but also because the people served by Downstate and Kings County are generally underserved.

As for cost of living, Brooklyn can be a lot cheaper than Manhattan. The area around the school is quite cheap, however there is not much around there. As you get closer to Prospect Park, it gets better and a little more expensive, but certainly not super expensive (unless you want to live in Park Slope or other bougie neighborhoods).

I don't know about the Baylor-Dallas program so I can't comment. As I said, figure out what you want in your training and possibly where and what you'd like to practice after residency. Personally, I would go for Downstate because it's a university program and I'd rather live in NY than Texas, but that's just my preference. Also, Downstate also has a lot of fellowships, and you can likely match there for most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.