Official 2016-2017: LizzyM <70 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I got this idea from a previous year's thread. Shout out to @kilez12! (See 2015-2016) I find it uplifting to see applicants with similar stats getting II's so hopefully this year will be successful for us under 70 people!

My summary:
LM 67-68, ORM
II: none
Rejections: none
Holds: GW (shocking I know)

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that people at near a 70 have "low stats"...and I'm a 70 LMscore, so I don't have a vested interest.

Just be careful about "underdog" threads. It really messes with actual underdogs when people with above 510 MCATs and probably above 3.7 gpa call themselves underdogs.

Reactions: 7 users
Noted. And edited above. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that people at near a 70 have "low stats"...and I'm a 70 LMscore, so I don't have a vested interest.

Just be careful about "underdog" threads. It really messes with actual underdogs when people with above 510 MCATs and probably above 3.7 gpa call themselves underdogs.
nah man those are the canadian underdogs.

Reactions: 1 users

I believe a 3.7/510 is around a LizzyM of 68, which is considered "low" here, but is bang average for schools. I would think underdogs would be lower than 65 IMO.

Haha, if 70 is the cutoff, you could be an "underdog" with a 3.69 and 33! The average matriculant is at 3.7 / 31.4 these days, so 68.4 LizzyM.

If we say "underdog" starts at a std. dev. below on GPA and MCAT, you'd need a 27 / 3.45 to qualify!

Reactions: 4 users
I did not intend to create an "underdog" thread necessarily, but simply replicated the <70 from last year. Sorry if this was misinterpreted.

I did not intend to create an "underdog" thread necessarily, but simply replicated the <70 from last year. Sorry if this was misinterpreted.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't misinterpret you, and I agree with having a <70 thread. But just expect that many people will get IIs more easily, rather than an Underdog thread where people have LizzyMs of 65ish for example :) I think a 67-68 is fine, and hopefully you will be getting IIs soon!

I think people just assume these threads are for support/commiseration, like...it'd be weird to make a "Official LizzyM 80-85 thread"

Reactions: 8 users
i have a 65.7 lm...should i even bother? 510MCAT 3.45 gpa

I don't think you can really define "underdogs" by a LizzyM score. I think you need to actually know both GPA and MCAT to decide. For example, an applicant with a 3.9 s/cGPA and a 28 MCAT is in a completely different position than an applicant with a 3.6 s/cGPA and a 31 MCAT because the second applicant is much closer to average even though they both have a LizzyM score of a 67. I would consider the 3.9/28er an underdog because of the 28 MCAT, but the 3.6/31er would definitely not be an underdog.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why this is starting off to be a little negative. It's not the same as the underdogs thread for sure and last year's looked really supportive. So, I'm gonna jump on the train wagon and add my own in support of OP :)

My summary:
LM 67-69, ORM, CA Applicant
II: 8 (Loyola, UCD, UCSD, UCR, OUWB, Drexel, VCU, Tulane)
Rejections: 1 (Georgetown)
Holds: UA
Completed secondaries from early to late July at most schools. Verified late June.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
LM 67, IN Applicant
Applied to 11 schools
II: 2
Rejections: 1

I'm not sure why this is starting off to be a little negative. It's not the same as the underdogs thread for sure and last year's looked really supportive. So, I'm gonna jump on the train wagon and add my own in support of OP :)

My summary:

when were you complete?

Congrats on the interview invites!!!

LizzyM 68 (low MCAT)
Secondaries: 19
Interviews: 0
Rejections: 2
Holds: GW (lol)

LizzyM: 68.2
cGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 513

Primaries: 21
II: 1
Rejections: 0
Hold: 0

when were you complete?
Added in my original post! I'm def an early submitter!

Congrats on the interview invites!!!

LizzyM 68 (low MCAT)
Interviews: 0
Rejections: 2
Holds: GW (lol)

Depending on your completion date, they might just come a little later. Good luck!!!!

I will add my stats as well...

LizzyM ~69-70
TN Resident
Primaries: 11
Secondaries: 10 (No Vandy secondary)
II: 0
Rejections: 0
Note: I was just AMCAS verified on 8/24/16 though, so I'm certainly behind schedule compared to y'all.

Yes I waited about a month for my first II so you're hear from schools soon I hope!

68 is definitely higher than average. According to the LizzyM calculator here on SDN, I think a LizzyM of 68 was 75th percentile on the predicted graph (not exact number, just going off of memory here). There is absolutely nothing shabby about a 3.8/30 and those stats will absolutely get you accepted to medical school assuming everything else is in order.

On the contrary, I have been quite surprised when talking to the other applicants I know on campus about their MCAT scores. Some very smart people have been getting 498-502's and I only know personally of one person that got anything above ~505. I think that gives a more accurate representation of "average" since the SDN community is certainly not "average" in their reported scores.

I agree that SDN is nowhere near average hahah but a lot of applicants at my school don't get in. So even though there are a lot of pre-meds that apply, there's only a small number that actually get accepted. Some super smart people suck at standardized testing, and that's how they get screwed over.

Depending on your completion date, they might just come a little later. Good luck!!!!

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! Complete early August at most places and mid at the rest

Dude this is like >80% of the applicants.

LizzyM 69, Tex resident, and only 2 II :(

Last edited:
Quick awkward story/example of this same thing...

This weekend I was at the bar and saw a girl that I know who I knew had already applied so I asked, "Do I even want to know how many interview invites you had already at this time last year?" Now for background, you have to realize this girl is URM, 4.0 GPA, does research, and was the founding president of a global health club that went to Panama to setup clinics for the locals to receive vaccinations, check-up's, etc. Plus, we have a medical school here in town and I knew she was from the area originally, so I just thought she was attending that school now. Her reply, "I didn't get any, just one waitlist and I didn't get off the list. I just started my master's program this fall." She said she got a 505 if I remember correctly and that still wasn't good enough for a single invite. Needless to say, I was shocked and felt like an idiot/*** lol. This process sucks sometimes.

What.....does she have a major red flag? Because let's even ignore the URM factor, a 4.0/505 (28), would get hits at some schools. Add in URM....that's shocking.

Last edited:
What.....does she have a major red flag? Because let's even ignore the URM factor, a 4.0/515 (28), would get hits at some schools. Add in URM....that's shocking.

Plz reread the MCAT sentence.

Edit: oh wait lol you typo'ed the 515 not the 28. My mind tripped up a bit when reading that lololololololololololololol sorry.

Plz reread the MCAT sentence.

Edit: oh wait lol you typo'ed the 515 not the 28. My mind tripped up a bit when reading that lololololololololololololol sorry.

Lol my bad, I changed it. But seriously, any red flags? Because that's insane.

Sub 70 LM from last years thread checking in...good luck you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Sub 70 LM from last years thread checking in...good luck you guys!

When I see that you're a medical student and not pre-medical after last cycle:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 19 users
I'm telling you, I seriously thought this girl was a middle to upper tier candidate, not someone who would get no admission offers. The only thing I can think of is if she only applied to the big name places and didn't cast a wider net.
Sadly, I think that a 505 MCAT can be a non-starter at a great many schools. That being said, it does sound like she should have gotten more interviews. Of course, there are so many important factors that we are not privy to. The school list could have been off, the GPA could have been lower than you thought, the essays could be somehow off-putting, etc. Some of the people I thought were perfect turned out to be not-so-perfect. Some of the quieter people who just kept under the radar ended up being unbelievable superstars. It's a very confusing process!

Quick awkward story/example of this same thing...

This weekend I was at the bar and saw a girl that I know who I knew had already applied so I asked, "Do I even want to know how many interview invites you had already at this time last year?" Now for background, you have to realize this girl is URM, 4.0 GPA, does research, and was the founding president of a global health club that went to Panama to setup clinics for the locals to receive vaccinations, check-up's, etc. Plus, we have a medical school here in town and I knew she was from the area originally, so I just thought she was attending that school now. Her reply, "I didn't get any, just one waitlist and I didn't get off the list. I just started my master's program this fall." She said she got a 505 if I remember correctly and that still wasn't good enough for a single invite. Needless to say, I was shocked and felt like an idiot/*** lol. This process sucks sometimes.

Stuff like this is why people say the app process is a crapshoot.

I think quite a few people off the <70 thread from last cycle got in. Its really not as bad as it sounds. Stay positive!

I really need to stop procrastinating and get back to work lol...

<70 from last year chiming in, best of luck to all of you! It's not over till its over!

Reactions: 5 users

My summary:
Completed secondaries from early to late July at most schools. Verified late June.

Teach me your ways.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Average applicants have a GPA of 3.55 and an MCAT of 28.3 bringing the LizzyM of the average applicant to 63.8.

The average Matriculant has a GPA of 3.70 and an MCAT of 31.4 bringing their LizzyM to 68.4.That means that a good portion of matriculants have less than a 70 on the lizzyM.

I would define :

Underdog LizzyM <63.8.

Hopeful LizzyM 63.8<between <68.4

Increasing likely to Matriculate LizzyM >68.4

Caveat 1: It is state dependent.

39.25% of the applicants that apply(52,550) matriculate (20,631). YMMV, because in all likelihood this is very state dependent. There are a number of public schools where the average matriculant has an MCAT =~28. Heck, University of Michigan has an average Lizzy M of 71-72 for instate residents, that means by definition half of the class has a LizzyM less then 71!

Caveat 2:Having a productive school list matters.
Applying to schools that screen or have averages for classes that are widely different than your own may lead to heartbreak.

Caveat 3. Not all GPAs are made alike, certain schools assign a higher value to top 20 institutions.

Caveat 4: Red flags like criminal history and IA and Green Flags like URM/Veteran states means all bets are off.

Caveat 5: Analysis only applies to MD schools.

Caveat 6. Timing Matters
Applying may help, but it may just be that people who apply early also have LizzyMs in the 70s.

Most of you fall in the hopeful and likely to matriculate category!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lizzy M 65.5
2 MD II
Best of Luck everyone :)

LizzyM ~69
Secondaries: 15 (3 DO, 12 MD)
II: 6 (3 DO, 3 MD)
Rejections: 1
Acceptances: 1 (DO)