Official 2017-2018 Help Me Rank Megathread [Internal Medicine]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd personally put them:
UWM
UMinn
UMD
VCU
Flip a coin for Brown/Tufts

But then I don't care about cardiology. And other orders would be completely reasonable.

Thank you! Would appreciate additional thoughts from anyone with cards insights or personal experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Again, to anyone who felt I was trying to improve my own rank list, let me say two things: 1) I'm sorry to have been confusing and unintentionally misleading and 2) I am not applying for residency. This was simply earnest candor. Should you doubt my veracity, I can't fault you. It's the internet, after all.
You're a brand new user. You came out of nowhere and your only posts are bashing a single program. The experience of the community here is that people with post histories like yours are either trolls or in the process of being/have been fired from that program. The level of suspicion is appropriate.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all. Please help me rank my list! As a quick background, am a DO student with an interest in nephro and possibly if everything lines up then GI even though I know it's a long shot. How important is it that I end up at an academic center if going nephro?

This is my current ranking as of now, is there any difference between 1-4 in terms of strength of program?

1. UNLV
2. Maricopa (Affiliated with Creighton)
3. Creighton
4. Texas Tech University Health Sciences (El Paso)
5. Providence (Portland)
6. Riverside Community
7. MountainView Hospital

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@lifeinmotion168

Nephro is easy to get so any program in you list will get you a nephro fellowship. For GI, it might be better to rank them based on in-house GI fellowship...

Reactions: 1 user
any thoughts on UIC versus VCU? what about OHSU versus Montefiore? Interested in cardiology and I also value the resident quality of life...

Hope Loyola’s in a decent spot on your list!

Working on the middle of my list and would like some input in comparing these programs (and rationale for one over another). Strength of program with a collegial/collaborative environment >> location. Career goals: fellowship in cards or hospitalist at an academic medical center, so research opportunities are important.

U Wisconsin Madison vs. U Minnesota
Maryland vs. VCU
Tufts vs. Brown

Thank you.

1. Minnesota
2. Madison
3. Tufts
4. Brown
5. Maryland
6. VCU

That’s how I’d rank them

Help ranking please. No location preference. Interested in primary care, but wouldn't want to close any doors for fellowship. My ROL for now:

1. Maryland
2. UIC
3. Wake Forest
4. Ohio State
5. UT Houston
6. Miami
7. Rush/Cook County primary care

1. OSU
2. UIC (autonomy)
3. Maryland
4. Rush
5. Miami
6. UT Houston
7. Wake Forest

I would love to hear why you ranked MUSC over Tulane. As well as your general opinions between the two, they are both in my list and I'm finding putting one over the other pretty tough to do.

This was a toss up, and on closer inspection both programs appear equal in their strengths (solid midtiers, 3 hospital system w/VA, x+y). For me, I rotated at MUSC (although it was in a diff specialty) and loved the hospital, the residents/attendings from other specialties, and the general friendliness that is representative of the South. As someone interested in cards and pulm/cc, I believe they are the only heart/lung/liver/kidney transplant program in South Carolina. MUSC is one of the oldest medical institutions in the US, and benefits from a long history of private donors and NIH funding which gives residents the opportunity to pursue longitudinal clinical research. How that translates into fellowship matching is another story, since many residents tend to stay at MUSC or somewhere in the South (I did see one resident match in Colorado about 3-4 years ago). Moreover, the Chairman, PD and APDs have been around for many years and get the importance of resident input and how to weigh their demands with the vision + rigor of the program. Outside of MUSC, Charleston is one of my favorite cities in the country--one of the best restaurant scenes at reasonable prices, an up and coming coffee scene, and a good number of breweries to keep the stars in this kid's eyes. My wife will never forget the cheeky smile I had on my face when I saw how cheap iHop pancake specials were compared to where I currently live.

FWIW, loved Tulane as well. The PD is passionate about his program and has made residents the focal point. That said, I got the impression that you have to "drink the koolaid", to fit in. Nola is also its own little country that my wife can't tolerate, and I wasn't sure what kind of research opportunities existed there (not a big selling point). I'm also not sure how they do with fellowship match, and it looks like they haven't released their stats for this year's class. "Better the devil you know" is quasi applicable in this scenario.

Cards or heme Onc goal.

1-4 are pretty much push.

UCSD
NYU
Uab
UVA
University of Florida
Minnesota
Brown
Miami
Cincinnati
Gw
Njms
Umass
Northwell

Help me choose. List still fluid. I’m willing to move anywhere.

AlL top 4 are solid for cardiology. UCSD is probably the weakest of the cardiology divisions among the top 4. But the location boosts it up. UFlorida Gainesville has a very good cards fellowship too.

Hope Loyola’s in a decent spot on your list!

1. Minnesota
2. Madison
3. Tufts
4. Brown
5. Maryland
6. VCU

That’s how I’d rank them

What's your reasoning for Minn > Mad?

What's your reasoning for Minn > Mad?

Keep in mind I’m an applicant and GutOnc is faculty involved in selection. With that said, if it were my list UMinn would be #1 because reputation/match is about the same, location is not.

This was a toss up, and on closer inspection both programs appear equal in their strengths (solid midtiers, 3 hospital system w/VA, x+y). For me, I rotated at MUSC (although it was in a diff specialty) and loved the hospital, the residents/attendings from other specialties, and the general friendliness that is representative of the South. As someone interested in cards and pulm/cc, I believe they are the only heart/lung/liver/kidney transplant program in South Carolina. MUSC is one of the oldest medical institutions in the US, and benefits from a long history of private donors and NIH funding which gives residents the opportunity to pursue longitudinal clinical research. How that translates into fellowship matching is another story, since many residents tend to stay at MUSC or somewhere in the South (I did see one resident match in Colorado about 3-4 years ago). Moreover, the Chairman, PD and APDs have been around for many years and get the importance of resident input and how to weigh their demands with the vision + rigor of the program. Outside of MUSC, Charleston is one of my favorite cities in the country--one of the best restaurant scenes at reasonable prices, an up and coming coffee scene, and a good number of breweries to keep the stars in this kid's eyes. My wife will never forget the cheeky smile I had on my face when I saw how cheap iHop pancake specials were compared to where I currently live.

FWIW, loved Tulane as well. The PD is passionate about his program and has made residents the focal point. That said, I got the impression that you have to "drink the koolaid", to fit in. Nola is also its own little country that my wife can't tolerate, and I wasn't sure what kind of research opportunities existed there (not a big selling point). I'm also not sure how they do with fellowship match, and it looks like they haven't released their stats for this year's class. "Better the devil you know" is quasi applicable in this scenario.
Great response thank you!

Interested in cardiology now. I was interested in endo during the interview season so I didn't really get to ask about cards for any of these programs

I am having trouble ranking BU, Cedars, USC, Tufts, OHSU as my #5-#9. No real location preference.
(#1-4: Michigan, UPMC, UCSD, Cornell)

#5 - BU: liked PD, good research opportunities. Slightly worried about COL of Boston.
#6 - Cedars: historically strong cards match, cush? I mingled well with the residents and had a good interview.
#7 - USC: good match list for cards?
#8 - Tufts: like the smaller program, historically strong cards match.
#9 - OHSU: liked Portland. I am not too sure about the strength about the cardiology department here.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!!!

Hi everyone!
I'm seeking your advice to choose the best programs that would help me pursue a fellowship! (possibly in Hem/Onc, but I'm not sure yet!) This is my ROL so far, what would you say?

- Mount Sinai St. Luke's & Mount Sinai West
- Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
- Case Western/MetroHealth
- UConn
- New York-Presbyterian/Queens
- Bridgeport Hospital
- Montefiore-New Rochelle/Einstein
- Lankenau
- University of Maryland Midtown Campus

Members don't see this ad :)
Interested in cardiology now. I was interested in endo during the interview season so I didn't really get to ask about cards for any of these programs

I am having trouble ranking BU, Cedars, USC, Tufts, OHSU as my #5-#9. No real location preference.
(#1-4: Michigan, UPMC, UCSD, Cornell)

#5 - BU: liked PD, good research opportunities. Slightly worried about COL of Boston.
#6 - Cedars: historically strong cards match, cush? I mingled well with the residents and had a good interview.
#7 - USC: good match list for cards?
#8 - Tufts: like the smaller program, historically strong cards match.
#9 - OHSU: liked Portland. I am not too sure about the strength about the cardiology department here.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!!!

COL in Boston is roughly equivalent to that of San Diego and less than NYC, so wouldn't be too worried about it if you're ok with it for your #3-4.
BU > Tufts, so agree with the order there. Cedars has a great cards match and residents work hard. Patient populations are really different between BU and Cedars.. Re: USC - you didn't really write anything positive about it, so curious why it is above Tufts and OHSU.

Hi everyone!
I'm seeking your advice to choose the best programs that would help me pursue a fellowship! (possibly in Hem/Onc, but I'm not sure yet!) This is my ROL so far, what would you say?

- UConn
- Bridgeport Hospital
- Lankenau

St Luke's-Roosevelt/West will give you a good shot at Heme/Onc. Metrohealth is known for being one of the better university-affiliates and should also get you there. UConn too as it's a university program. Not sure why you have Sinai Baltimore ranked so highly, but I also don't know loads about the program there, so if you have a compelling reason it's fine.

Hey all! Please help me with my ROL. I'm interested in GI and some global health work. I'm also a west coaster, and know that I want to end up in the west coast for fellowship - however I'm open to moving somewhere else for residency to experience a new environment and get a different perspective. Overall, I am looking for a residency that will provide great clinical training, supportive environment, resources and opportunities to excel at research and it wouldnt hurt to be in a cool city. Im having most trouble ordering my top 3!

1) BWH: Loved IV day, great camaraderie, lots of opportunity for research and mentorship. Fantastic global health program, Harvard name doesnt hurt especially with interest in global health and GI though No LTU service. Didnt spend too much time in Boston, so still unclear if I would like it.
2) UCSF: Also another fantastic IV day. Amazing clinical training. SFGH!! Superstar residents. Extremely high rent, though not much more than Boston. Great Global health program but not as robust as BWH. Amazing GI fellowship.
3) Stanford: Went to IV wanting to fall in love, but it was just okay. Lots of great research and global health is top notch. Takes their own, and GI match is west coast centric. Some qualms about diversity in clinical training, but really love their Stanford 25. Palo alto is not the most fun place to live though, but SF is close by.
4) Duke: Loved the IV day. Residents were impressive, diverse and seemed to like each other despite the long hours and hard work. Great GI match and Durham is cheap, though not the most fun city to live in.
5) UCLA: Residents all seemed like they loved being there. Very diverse pathology and clinical training. Like their emphasis on ambulatory subspecialty training. Beautiful hospital and people haha. I'm not the biggest fan of LA.
6) U Washington: PD was really cool, but kinda odd too. Similar vibes to UCSF. Strong focus on primary care (which I'm not too keen on), diverse pathology though lacking in the program itself. Fell in love with the city, but I did go on a very beautiful day.
7) Vanderbilt: Was not expecting to like this program as much as I did. Very down to earth resident and PD. Lots of autonomy. Nashville was actually quite fun! Good match list.
8) U Michigan: IV day was average, was quite burnt out at this point. Residents did seem impressive, though not the biggest fan of ann arbor. Amazing for GI.
9 ) Cornell: really liked this program and the residents.. but man, I dont think I want to live in NYC. This years match list was ridiculous!
10) Yale: similar to cornell, really liked this program. Concerned about its reputation for not being strong in IM and also New Haven.

Thanks for your help!

Hi all! I'm debating between heme-onc vs crit care vs nephro. Still very undecided at this point about fellowship goals. I am also couples matching, and our list seems to change by the day. I am mainly wondering if I placed any of these schools in a weird position. Thanks!

1. Northwestern
2. Duke
3. Cornell
4. UChicago
5. UTSW
6. Michigan
7. Yale
8. Baylor
9. UCSD
10. Mount Sinai
11. Rest of the schools….

St Luke's-Roosevelt/West will give you a good shot at Heme/Onc. Metrohealth is known for being one of the better university-affiliates and should also get you there. UConn too as it's a university program. Not sure why you have Sinai Baltimore ranked so highly, but I also don't know loads about the program there, so if you have a compelling reason it's fine.

Thank you very much for the help! I ranked Sinai Hospital high because the environment was very friendly but especially for the affiliation with Hopkins (you get to do rotations there), so I thought it would give me more opportunities to get a fellowship there. Do you guys think it makes no sense?

Thank you very much for the help! I ranked Sinai Hospital high because the environment was very friendly but especially for the affiliation with Hopkins (you get to do rotations there), so I thought it would give me more opportunities to get a fellowship there. Do you guys think it makes no sense?
You are never getting a Hem/Onc fellowship at JHH coming out of Sinai B'more...never.

Reactions: 2 users
You are never getting a Hem/Onc fellowship at JHH coming out of Sinai B'more...never.

The Sinai affiliation with Hopkins is as useless as it gets. I have seen people who went to Sinai claim they did residency at Johns Hopkins, but this is an utter lie and everybody knows it. Yes, you may do rotations there, but don’t expect fellowship opportunities outside of nephrology. And even that may be a dream.

Hello, I'd like to go to a program with strong clinical training that will help me get into GI. Help me rank!

Emory
WashU
UNC
USC
UAB
BU
UVA
Cedars-Sinai
Indiana
Brown

Hopkins has their own community hospital (bayview). Sinai is not respected inside of baltimore and many of my classmates are going applying there so they can get a chill prelim year. Would drop them wayyy down the list

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think we’re all this stupid? You’ve literally paraphrased all of what the is available out there about Iowa as well as the other programs to make your post seem legitimate. I would know because I’ve looked all over for stuff about it. We all know GutOnc’s love for Wisconsin, the vibe everyone has about Dartmouth and Indiana is clear, and the tag line of what you heard at Cleveland Clinic (mentorship) and what you heard about Iowa on interview day (low key place with smart people all over) and you’ve mentioned all that to seem legitimate and then decided to take a sledgehammer to Iowa because you want to go there so bad. Do you have any shame?
Thank you for calling him out. Iowa is a great program and I can tell you as I have one of my friends there as resident. Based on what I know it’s one of the best programs out in Midwest!

Hello, I'd like to go to a program with strong clinical training that will help me get into GI. Help me rank!

Emory
WashU
UNC
USC
UAB
BU
UVA
Cedars-Sinai
Indiana
Brown

So I would put USC after UVA on your list. Otherwise it looks amazing and you’re setting yourself up very nicely for a GI fellowship. Hoping you don’t drop below 6. USC’s mission is good, but I really doubt that’s why you’re ranking it #1. Just don’t see it in the same tier as UAB, BU, nor UVA.

Thank you for calling him out. Iowa is a great program and I can tell you as I have one of my friends there as resident. Based on what I know it’s one of the best programs out in Midwest!

Yeah man, I just thought it was distasteful as someone said. Iowa has minimal hype surrounding it and seems like a great place to train according to so many sources and the interview day exuded nothing but class. Why anyone would trash a program like that is beyond me.

So I would put USC after UVA on your list. Otherwise it looks amazing and you’re setting yourself up very nicely for a GI fellowship. Hoping you don’t drop below 6. USC’s mission is good, but I really doubt that’s why you’re ranking it #1. Just don’t see it in the same tier as UAB, BU, nor UVA.

It looks like someone disgruntled. Folks in Iowa

Yeah man, I just thought it was distasteful as someone said. Iowa has minimal hype surrounding it and seems like a great place to train according to so many sources and the interview day exuded nothing but class. Why anyone would trash a program like that is beyond me.

There are always disgruntled folks around. I can tell you from what I know is that Iowa is nothing but classy. Everyone in that program including the leadership really cares about education and residents are extremely happy. My friend just raves about the program. Fellowship match at Iowa is outstanding and the city is amazing!

You're a brand new user. You came out of nowhere and your only posts are bashing a single program. The experience of the community here is that people with post histories like yours are either trolls or in the process of being/have been fired from that program. The level of suspicion is appropriate.

There are always disgruntled folks around. I can tell you from what I know is that Iowa is nothing but classy. Everyone in that program including the leadership really cares about education and residents are extremely happy. My friend just raves about the program. Fellowship match at Iowa is outstanding and the city is amazing!

I didn't interview at Iowa but I'm thinking of ranking it #1 now after all of this. Do I have a shot?

Lol well you’re a new user as well so to use you as reassurance would be hypocritical but I guess I appreciate you saying that.

Very distasteful and I agree. I just joined SDN as well but was so disappointed in some of the post by this user. Seems very disgruntled. There are some folks who have nothing better to do. From what I know and have heard Iowa is a very classy program and it’s reputation is nothing but great. I have a friend who is in this program and absolutely loves it and would rank it again if he had to do it again!

I didn't interview at Iowa but I'm thinking of ranking it #1 now after all of this. Do I have a shot?

Rank it #1 bro just to stick it to RenalPolemicist. I have 4 empty spots and am obviously saving them JHH, MGH, UCSF, and BWH as my 17, 18, 19, and 20th choice in case they accidentally rank me somehow.

Rank it #1 bro just to stick it to RenalPolemicist. I have 4 empty spots and am obviously saving them JHH, MGH, UCSF, and BWH as my 17, 18, 19, and 20th choice in case they accidentally rank me somehow.

As a top applicant and, simultaneously, a current fellow I am not interested in those small community programs, just Iowa.

Damn dude what's with the six posts in a row bashing Iowa? We get it, you're ranking them #1 and worried you won't match there. But this is just distasteful.
Thanks for calling him out. Seems like somebody really wants to be at Iowa!

The Sinai affiliation with Hopkins is as useless as it gets. I have seen people who went to Sinai claim they did residency at Johns Hopkins, but this is an utter lie and everybody knows it. Yes, you may do rotations there, but don’t expect fellowship opportunities outside of nephrology. And even that may be a dream.

Hopkins has their own community hospital (bayview). Sinai is not respected inside of baltimore and many of my classmates are going applying there so they can get a chill prelim year. Would drop them wayyy down the list

Thank you guys! You really helped to clear my mind about Sinai.
What do you think about the other programs and how I ranked them? Any suggestion is appreciated!!!!

- UConn
- Bridgeport Hospital
- Lankenau

Hey--@RenalPolemicist--I see you used my quotes several pages back. I never said any of that stuff about Iowa or Mayo. Don't misquote me to bash Iowa.

Reactions: 2 users
Having trouble with 4-6. I am planning on doing GI for fellowship. I am considering moving MUSC up to #3, as my spouse really loved the area (as did I), but I’m not sure if that would put me at any kind of disadvantage for fellowship. My only concern with Iowa, is that although they have pretty good matches in GI, they hardly take any internal applicants. I have two kids and would prefer to stay in one area for training if possible. Any input would be much appreciated.

4. Iowa
5. Wake Forest
6. MUSC

Would you change anything else? What about UAB vs UVA? USC vs Cedars?

Having trouble with 4-6. I am planning on doing GI for fellowship. I am considering moving MUSC up to #3, as my spouse really loved the area (as did I), but I’m not sure if that would put me at any kind of disadvantage for fellowship. My only concern with Iowa, is that although they have pretty good matches in GI, they hardly take any internal applicants. I have two kids and would prefer to stay in one area for training if possible. Any input would be much appreciated.

4. Iowa
5. Wake Forest
6. MUSC

MUSC had 3 in-house GI matches in 2016-2017, and one of the residents that I spoke with this year (who matched into GI) states that the program is strong in GI. I would move it above Iowa and WF for those reasons.

Would you change anything else? What about UAB vs UVA? USC vs Cedars?

Those bring more subtleties to the table. I just commented because I couldn’t see you ranking USC over UAB/UVA, etc. Sadly I didn’t interview in your tier to address those subtleties with any substance.

Emory
WashU
UNC
USC
UAB
BU
UVA
Cedars-Sinai
Indiana
Brown
Would also like to hear more opinions; my friend has a similar/overlapping list, and he wants Pulm or GI.

Also, how would people rank these others?
UT Houston
UCLA Olive View
U Wisconsin
Dartmouth
Utah
Miami
Baylor Dallas
UT San Antonio
MUSC
UT Austin

I see a lot of people putting lots of weight on in-house fellowships and I didn’t really consider that that heavily (but I did check it out and it seemed to vary with no real conclusions). Let’s say the in-house match rate for your field is 30%, that’s still 70% who go elsewhere

Would also like to hear more opinions; my friend has a similar/overlapping list, and he wants Pulm or GI.

UT Houston
UCLA Olive View
U Wisconsin
Dartmouth
Utah

Miami
Baylor Dallas
UT San Antonio
MUSC
UT Austin

This is like GutOnc’s dessert of the day. IMO

UWisconsin,
Miami
Utah
UT Houston
Dartmouth
MUSC
Baylor Dallas vs Olive View
UTSA
UT-Austin

Last edited:

UT Houston
UCLA Olive View
U Wisconsin
Dartmouth
Utah
Miami
Baylor Dallas
UT San Antonio
MUSC
UT Austin

My list would be the following especially if you want fellowship. Go for the best program. Location does play a role but if you really want GI or be competitive for the hard to get fellowships, I think the following list is stronger for research opportunities and connections.

U Wisconsin
Miami
Utah
UCLA Olive View
Dartmouth
MUSC
UT Houston
Baylor Dallas
UT Austin
UT San Antonio

My list would be the following especially if you want fellowship. Go for the best program. Location does play a role but if you really want GI or be competitive for the hard to get fellowships, I think the following list is stronger for research opportunities and connections.

U Wisconsin
Miami
Utah
UCLA Olive View
Dartmouth
MUSC
UT Houston
Baylor Dallas
UT Austin
UT San Antonio
Why Austin over SA?

UT Houston
UCLA Olive View
U Wisconsin
Dartmouth
Utah
Miami
Baylor Dallas
UT San Antonio
MUSC
UT Austin
Wisco
Utah
Miami/Dartmouth (although small, Dartmouth has a strong advanced endoscopy fellowship...not sure about their general GI fellowship)
Whatever else your "friend" likes.

4. Iowa
5. Wake Forest
6. MUSC
Iowa actually based on what I know from my friend gives the first preference to its internal candidates for all fellowships, if they want to stay at the same program. I would not change your order

I'm going to pistolwhip the next person to say Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Goal is a decent University program with potential for GI fellowship match after

Stony Brook
UConn
GW
Drexel
Rutgers NJMS
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
NYMC Westchester
Lenox Hill - Northwell
Winthrop

Looking for some last minute input on rank list. Leaning toward hospitalist medicine, but would like to leave the door open to Pulm/CC. At this point #1 position is between Mayo (MN) and Utah. Was really impressed by the Utah program, and their emphasis on cost-effective care and health care administration is a great fit with my business background, so I'd especially appreciate feedback on the quality of training vs Mayo. Clearly Mayo has the reputation, research, and killer Rochester weather going for it, but I've also heard many positive things about Utah's program. Basically unclear on the gap between them and any definite regrets of not putting Mayo #1.

Mayo (MN)
Utah
UCSD
Scripps Green
OHSU
UC Davis
USC
UC Irvine
Cleveland Clinc
Others

Thank you in advance!

Status