**Official 2021 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you all heard much from programs after interviewing or has it been pretty quiet for everyone else too?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes your application material so just in case you don’t match you have it ready fo forward it to the post match programs

And no you don’t rank the schools that you don’t interview at, because they won’t rank you so you won’t get matched with them

And regarding the fees, sorry I don’t know either.
Thanks!

Guys, do any of you have any idea if there any additional fee besides the registration fee for match?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we see postmatch lists on Match. I paid $95 but did not get any interview.

I am also open to applying to different specialities, but thinking my application was heavily centered around Ortho. Thoughts/suggestions?
I heard from other people that the post-match positions are posted in the same day of match results

How do we see postmatch lists on Match. I paid $95 but did not get any interview.

I am also open to applying to different specialities, but thinking my application was heavily centered around Ortho. Thoughts/suggestions?
Never give up for Ortho!

1605542471023.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know what time PT results are released? I know the website says 9 but other people said as early as 6?

Hello ! Does anyone here i looking forward to joining JU fellowship program?
Any idea how to proceed with it.
I did apply at JU but dint get an interview.
TIA.

Members don't see this ad :)
About ~26/27 hours left (or more if it’s not like last year)... Today is going to be the longest day ever.
Good luck to everyone! :D

Reactions: 2 users
So we should expect emails by 8am EST? Does everyone receive an email at the same time? Anyone wanna hold me tight until tomorrow ? ❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: 3 users
Best wishes to everyone!! I'm doing everything I can to distract myself :wacky:

Good luck everyone!

Name of Ortho Program:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
ADAT Score:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked:

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone tomorrow.
Anyone knows how the post match works?

I got through most of the night without waking up but now I literally cannot sleep anymore due to anxiety lol

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest School (2 year program)
Dental School Attended: Different Midwest School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/Awaiting Results
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: 161V/162QR/5.0W
Class Rank: Top 10%
Match/Non-Match: Match Only
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Undergrad research and presentation, dental school research (non-ortho), no pubs
Extracurriculars: Bunch of community service, leadership roles, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 21/6/6/6

I limited my applications to the specific geographic areas I would like to live in and by cost (including the 1 year opportunity cost for 3 year programs). I only applied to places that would be sub-400K based on my cost calculations (I added 180K as a conservative estimate to 3 year program total costs to simulate one year's salary of an orthodontist). I think this cycle was quite tough, as it had a record number of applications likely due to the pandemic. My advice is to apply to as many places as you can afford if you really want to be an orthodontist, because you never know where you'll end up getting in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Name of Ortho Program: Southern Program
Dental School Attended: Midwest School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/Haven't Taken
GRE Score: 164V/162QR/4.0W
Class Rank: 1/85
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Tutor, summer job in leadership position.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 26/8/8/8

Let this be proof that you can match with no research experience and limited involvement - my M.O. was chilling with friends throughout school. That being said, for how many programs I applied to I did not receive that many interview invites and furthermore I didn't receive interviews at a handful of my top programs. I had a chance to interview with a great group of people and with a number of fantastic programs and all things considered am grateful to have matched at one of my top choices! If any future applicants have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

We did it everyone. :)

Last edited:
Did anyone not match who got several interviews? Do you know when the post match information will be available?

Where can we find post match results? Will it show up when we log in or is it on the main website and we don’t have to log in to get the list?

Matched at my #1! I am soooooooo happy, I cried at work hahaha

Will post my stats later, I am an international student btw :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Can anyone post a screenshot of the postmatch webpage for the unfilled positions?
I am curious whether covid had an impact for this cycle

Does anyone know how much is the tuition for Georgia?

Name of Ortho Program: Eastern program
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Home country Orthodontic Residency
International Student (yes/no): Yes
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
GRE Score: 153V/159QR/3.5W
Class Rank: Top 20%
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where:
Research: 10published articles- 1 year research experience in US
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 26/5/5/5
Hi! I am an international applicant
Dint match anywhere. Can i get in touch with you?

Name of Ortho Program: 2 yr program
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/Awaiting Results
ADAT Score: didn't take
GRE Score: >150/150/4
Class Rank: Top 15%
Research: Dental school research (non-ortho), no pubs
Extracurriculars: Lots of involvement w/ student orgs, volunteering, mission trip, tutoring
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 35/8/8/8

For future applicants, make sure you have a well-rounded CV. During my interviews, I got asked a lot of leadership and research questions. Know how to answer "why ortho?" and "why our program?". Some interviews were really laid back and others were impossible to prepare for. I was worried about rank, but I don't think it's the end all, be all. You don't have to be top 10% of your class to match, so if you are top 20%, maybe even 25-30% and love ortho, it's worth applying! If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Does anyone know the process of applying for post-match? Attempted to email and call the program but no response as of yet. Do we send them our PASS app and fill out the supp app? Thanks!

Name of Ortho Program: Southern Program
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Work experience as a general dentist
International Student (yes/no): YES
GRE Score: Mid 150s V/ Mid 150s QR / 3.5W (sorry for being vague, but feel free to PM me to ask more info about anything)
I also had a high TOEFL grade
Class Rank: Top 15%
Research: None
Extracurriculars: A looooooot of "art" related extracurricular, sport ones, covid time volunteering. No real "leadership" one, but I guess working as a dentist already shows I'm some sort of leader?
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: Low 10s / 3 / 3 / 3

I don't have an impressive "scholarly" side, no research at all, and I had zero connections with the universities I applied to.
I think what may have helped me was my personal statement. I really tried to stay true to myself and tell people who I was.
I think the places I got interviewed at really placed an emphasis on collegiality, and were picking someone who was not a bookworm, and had a life outside of the dental world, with good teamwork.
Each place really picks differently their applicants. So I can only tell that where I got interviewed, they liked the fact that they had a life outside of dentistry and I had a lot of questions related to that.
I got asked really the most typical questions you can find online "Why our university?" "Where do you see yourself in the future?" "your weakness/strength"...
Being an international student, I don't know if my output can be of much help, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me :)

I don’t get matched, very disappointed and upset
You can still get in this year! Apply for a post match spot at the Georgia School of orthodontics!

• Dislike
I'm posting this for the sole reason of giving hope and inspiration for those with weaker stats like I have.

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest school
Dental School Attended: East Coast school
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
graduating in 2021
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
still in dental school
International Student (yes/no):
no
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Pass/Pass
ADAT Score:
did not take
GRE Score:
90+ percentile on every section. Basically 160+ on reading and math, 5.5 on writing.
Class Rank:
3.7 GPA, 40ish/100 (top 40%)
Match/Non-Match:
Match (did not apply to any non-match)
Externship(s)/where:
None
Research:
Research assisting in undergrad, didn't do any formal research in dental school but did some minor research activities.
Extracurriculars:
Leadership positions, some volunteering, tutoring, etc. Standard stuff.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked:
30/5/5/5

My advice for those who aren't top 15-20% in their class:

• Apply widely, 30-35 programs if you can. Suck up any pride and biases against certain locations and just apply to as many programs as you can afford. Other than some pretty ridiculously expensive programs (Columbia, NYU, GSO, etc) I applied everywhere I could, even more pricey 3 year programs like Nova Southeastern or pricey 2 year programs like Tufts.
  • Work super hard on your personal statement and make it unique! Programs hear the same old things using buzzwords like "passion" and the typical "love making smiles brighter" line. Incorporate your interests and who you are as a person while subtly emphasizing your strengths and using engaging stories to present your experiences in dental school/private practice. Talk about how those experiences show why orthodontics is a good fit for you and why you would be a good orthodontist. Get it proofread by as many people as possible and ask them what vibe they get from reading it. Ask them if it sounds like you, ask them if it sounds authentic and unique.
  • Make strong relationships with 3-4 faculty, with one of them preferably being the ortho program director at your dental school. When you are at a disadvantage with your rank, recommendations can make a big difference. Ortho is a small community and getting a strong recommendation from someone well known in the community can make a big difference.
  • Kill the GRE. Don't settle for any score in the 150s. This is your chance to show programs that your academic ability and potential is not defined by your GPA/Rank and that you can handle the rigors of ortho residency. It won't necessarily make programs give you an invite, but it will be one less thing that a school can use as an excuse to throw your application out.
  • I didn't do it, but get involved in research if you can. It was something that was asked about in a few of my interviews. Research is your chance to show that you not only are interested in helping advance the specialty, but also you want to use evidence-based practices to treat your patients ethically.
  • Finally, just be yourself, authenticity matters during these interviews. You want the interviewers to think "this is is someone who I would love to work with and get to know for 2-3 years." And make sure to communicate exactly why you like their program, what you can contribute to the program, and why you think you would be a good fit at that program.

Sorry with how wordy that was, I'm still too excited! Feel free to PM if you have any questions and congrats to everyone who matched!

Reactions: 12 users
How can there be only one postmatch spot? Am I the only one feeling that it was a ridiculously difficult cycle? Good luck to everyone on postmatch!

Guys

will you contact the program that you were matched at? If yes. What will you say in your email?

Anyone match in a school a little lower on your list than you were expecting? I'm not complaining, but I just kinda had my heart set on other places.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm actually very surprised Georgia was able to fill 26 seats. Wow.

Hi every one I tried to contact Georgia for the post match but no answer back from them
did any one send them an email for post match and got an answer?
is all seats taken?

thank you

Do NOT apply to Georgia School of Orthodontics. That program is literally a for-profit scam and the AAO is going to go after them hard.

Improve your CVs and reapply to real programs next year. You'll be way farther ahead.