**Official 2021 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do NOT apply to Georgia School of Orthodontics. That program is literally a for-profit scam and the AAO is going to go after them hard.

Improve your CVs and reapply to real programs next year. You'll be way farther ahead.
I don't know about AAO going after them hard. They were just recently permitted to double their class size to 36 .

Members don't see this ad.

Name of Ortho Program: West coast school
Dental School Attended: Canadian program
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/Haven't taken yet
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: 154V/168QR/5.5W
Class Rank: 3.8 GPA (~top 10-20%)
Match/Non-Match: 16 match, 1 non-match
Externship(s)/where: UCLA, University of Toronto
Research: Undergrad and dental school research, many publications and presentations (one paper in EJO), research awards
Extracurriculars: Very active in student government (class VP, school VP), not-profit experience, used to be a videographer and co-produced a documentary, varsity sports
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/6/6/5 (1 non-match)

Coming into this process as a Canadian, I was very nervous about my chances. I ended up very pleasantly surprised with 6 invites. I only applied to one West coast program as I mainly applied to East coast schools in which I concentrated on mainly Northeast programs. At my interviews, I would see the same people interviewing from the same schools (UPenn, NYU, Stony, UCLA, and Columbia). I prepared for each interview like it was the only interview I had. I carefully crafted a reason why I wanted to go to that school over any other and at different interviews, this made a huge difference as I was told they made a note of it. I found that the socials were very relaxed and by the time I had my second or third interview (I ended up having 3 GPR interviews for a total of 9) the nerves were gone. This was important as the more relaxed I felt, the more I could show my personality which seemed to be a crucial element of what interviewers were looking for. They look for a resident cohort that fits well with each other and composed of people they would like to train and work with for the next 2-3 years. They also cared about hobbies and things outside of school... they cared a lot about how "interesting" you were.

At some interviews, the residents had a say (either in a breakout room or actually being on the panel) so be sure to win the residents over. At one school, one resident told me I was ranked very high because the residents really liked me. At another school, the program director told me I would be joining them soon. While these are nice comments, I never took them as the fact that I would match. In fact, the program I ranked #1 was a program that never responded to my thank you email, and never corresponded with me after the interview was done! The non-match that did respond to my thank you email didn't end up picking me. So don't stress over these little things and don't let this bother you. Rank based on the order of preference, not the order you think you are most likely to get into. And you just never know which program will rank you high.

When ranking programs, my #1 was very obvious, but I flip flopped on the others. I can tell you that while cost is a factor, consider your happiness in the program and city for the next 2-3 years. Also consider the clinical strength of the program (some are good for bread and butter edgewise, while others let you scan all patients and you'll never touch alginate again and will let you try all types of bracket systems and appliances). Consider how much the research component plays into the program (do you want to do more or less research to get the MSc). Consider if you will like training under the program director and faculty (believe me, this is very important). In the end, I matched to my #1 and I couldn't be happier.

There were many days I didn't think this would happen. I came into dental school only wanting ortho. I didn't have the highest class rank but made up for it with my research and my letters of reference and an interesting personal statement. My GRE was alright. I had an upward trend in GPA (4.0 in D3) that might have helped too. In the end, I think my research really made a difference as it was brought up in numerous interviews. So for those who want to do ortho... trust me, you will get there. Believe in yourself and it will happen! Feel free to PM me if you need anything. I am always happy to help. I am so glad it's all over!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I can't believe it's all over and I can't wait to meet you all at GORP, AAO, and other conferences! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about AAO going after them hard. They were just recently permitted to double their class size to 36 .

Man, I've seen you shilling for this program constantly. Name-dropping it in even the most tangentially ortho-related threads. Telling people with low stats to apply. Posting threads advertising their outrageous 25k online-only "fellowship"...

What is your deal? Are you a current resident? Faculty member? Hired marketer? Please, just come out and say it so people can take your comments in context.

Their class size and accreditation is exactly what's going to be contested. I'd point out that the accrediting body, CODA (NOT the AAO), has also accredited a dental school in Mexico, and the California board one in Moldova (allegedly)... The bar for accreditation is a chasm with no follow-up.

Reactions: 6 users
Name of Ortho Program: West coast school
Dental School Attended: Canadian program
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/Haven't taken yet
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: 154V/168QR/5.5W
Class Rank: 3.8 GPA (~top 10-20%)
Match/Non-Match: 16 match, 1 non-match
Externship(s)/where: UCLA, University of Toronto
Research: Undergrad and dental school research, many publications and presentations (one paper in EJO), research awards
Extracurriculars: Very active in student government (class VP, school VP), not-profit experience, used to be a videographer and co-produced a documentary, varsity sports
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/6/6/5 (1 non-match)

Coming into this process as a Canadian, I was very nervous about my chances. I ended up very pleasantly surprised with 6 invites. I only applied to one West coast program as I mainly applied to East coast schools in which I concentrated on mainly Northeast programs. At my interviews, I would see the same people interviewing from the same schools (UPenn, NYU, Stony, UCLA, and Columbia). I prepared for each interview like it was the only interview I had. I carefully crafted a reason why I wanted to go to that school over any other and at different interviews, this made a huge difference as I was told they made a note of it. I found that the socials were very relaxed and by the time I had my second or third interview (I ended up having 3 GPR interviews for a total of 9) the nerves were gone. This was important as the more relaxed I felt, the more I could show my personality which seemed to be a crucial element of what interviewers were looking for. They look for a resident cohort that fits well with each other and composed of people they would like to train and work with for the next 2-3 years. They also cared about hobbies and things outside of school... they cared a lot about how "interesting" you were.

At some interviews, the residents had a say (either in a breakout room or actually being on the panel) so be sure to win the residents over. At one school, one resident told me I was ranked very high because the residents really liked me. At another school, the program director told me I would be joining them soon. While these are nice comments, I never took them as the fact that I would match. In fact, the program I ranked #1 was a program that never responded to my thank you email, and never corresponded with me after the interview was done! The non-match that did respond to my thank you email didn't end up picking me. So don't stress over these little things and don't let this bother you. Rank based on the order of preference, not the order you think you are most likely to get into. And you just never know which program will rank you high.

When ranking programs, my #1 was very obvious, but I flip flopped on the others. I can tell you that while cost is a factor, consider your happiness in the program and city for the next 2-3 years. Also consider the clinical strength of the program (some are good for bread and butter edgewise, while others let you scan all patients and you'll never touch alginate again and will let you try all types of bracket systems and appliances). Consider how much the research component plays into the program (do you want to do more or less research to get the MSc). Consider if you will like training under the program director and faculty (believe me, this is very important). In the end, I matched to my #1 and I couldn't be happier.

There were many days I didn't think this would happen. I came into dental school only wanting ortho. I didn't have the highest class rank but made up for it with my research and my letters of reference and an interesting personal statement. My GRE was alright. I had an upward trend in GPA (4.0 in D3) that might have helped too. In the end, I think my research really made a difference as it was brought up in numerous interviews. So for those who want to do ortho... trust me, you will get there. Believe in yourself and it will happen! Feel free to PM me if you need anything. I am always happy to help. I am so glad it's all over!
So happy for you doc!

• Love
Yeah this happened a lot this cycle. I know at least 4 other people who matched at like #3-6...

According to the statistics on the dental match website, about 20% of people who matched this cycle matched with their #3-6 ranked school.

60% matched with their #1 ranked school, and 20% matched with their #2 school.

Reactions: 3 users
I did not apply to ortho this year and highly regretted it. I saw there are 10 post match spots open at Georgia, would it be a bad idea to contact the director and try to apply? I am getting mixed reviews online about Georgia.

I did not apply to ortho this year and highly regretted it. I saw there are 10 post match spots open at Georgia, would it be a bad idea to contact the director and try to apply? I am getting mixed reviews online about Georgia.

Unless you are in the bottom half of your class and think you won’t match anywhere else if you applied next year, I wouldn’t. Gather some recommendations from ortho faculty, work a year as a GP to earn some experience and money, apply widely next year, and get into a cheaper, more reputable program. Obviously be ready to answer interview questions about why you didn’t apply this past year.

I don’t want to slander GSO, but starting this year they will have around 60-70 residents in their entire program while most other residencies have a maximum of 20 overall. And that’s with arguably the same or worse patient pool than the schools with 20ish residents. The math makes it pretty self explanatory that the quality of education is not going to be at the same level. For the 300k they charge, it seems like robbery to me.

Other than in the case that you have a parent or relative holding onto a practice for you straight out of residency, I wouldn’t touch the program with a 10 foot pole. But that’s just me.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m wondering the same thing. I’m not sure timeline for fellowship offers. Some schools don’t have deadlines until Jan/feb. Does anyone have any insight ?
I was recently offered a fellowship, but will not be taking it so they may be reaching out to someone else to offer it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a resident there, they are not seeing a lot of cases because of they big number of residents.... and as the resident explained if you want to apply you need to show the full budget (The tuition for the 3 years)! so if you are a local applicant you need to show $300K in your bank and if you are an international you need to show $450K because you cannot take any federal loan.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Anybody from UB C/O 2021 match this year? Feel free to PM me if you don't feel like disclosing publicly (lowly D1 procrastinating on studying for finals)

Unless you are in the bottom half of your class and think you won’t match anywhere else if you applied next year, I wouldn’t. Gather some recommendations from ortho faculty, work a year as a GP to earn some experience and money, apply widely next year, and get into a cheaper, more reputable program. Obviously be ready to answer interview questions about why you didn’t apply this past year.

I don’t want to slander GSO, but starting this year they will have around 60-70 residents in their entire program while most other residencies have a maximum of 20 overall. And that’s with arguably the same or worse patient pool than the schools with 20ish residents. The math makes it pretty self explanatory that the quality of education is not going to be at the same level. For the 300k they charge, it seems like robbery to me.

Other than in the case that you have a parent or relative holding onto a practice for you straight out of residency, I wouldn’t touch the program with a 10 foot pole. But that’s just me.
I didn't match this year unfortunately to any of the 3 programs I've interviewed at. How do you think I can boost my resume while working as a GP?
Thanks!

I didn't match this year unfortunately to any of the 3 programs I've interviewed at. How do you think I can boost my resume while working as a GP?
Thanks!
Sorry to hear that, are you an international dentist?

Thanks!

If you’re still a dental student right now, I would continue building rapport with ortho faculty/other faculty in order to get recommendations for the next cycle. Continue participation in ortho-related activities or other leadership/volunteering roles to strengthen your application. Begin to re-work your personal statement to make it stronger. Think of this next application cycle both as an opportunity to build off of what you have learned from this past cycle and also as a clean slate. Once you start a job, try to get involved in ortho related activities through things like CE courses. Begin to note down interesting experiences you have with your patients both in school and at work so that you can use them as examples during your interviews. If you didn’t have a high GRE score, consider retaking the exam. Also, if you didn’t apply very widely this past cycle, apply more widely this year so that you maximize the number of interviews you can get.

If you’re already a GP right now, again try to expand your scope a little bit to include ortho-related procedures through CE. If you have time, maybe find an ortho office that’s open on weekends and shadow/assist there. I personally do not know too much about what it’s like to go the non traditional route (I’ve gone straight from college to dental school, and now straight to residency), so reaching out to someone who got in as a non traditional applicant may be better to get advice.

It really just boils down to this: you don’t want your application to stay static. You need to improve your application from the last cycle as much as you can. The schools want to see that you self-reflected on any mistakes that you made the previous year and worked hard to improve on them. Show growth and a commitment to the specialty. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get their official match letter yet? The match website said nov 30

The program director to the program I matched to contacted me on the same day in the afternoon. The administrative people sent me information about how to confirm my spot and pay the deposit. I paid the deposit the next day and then received an official letter of admission from the Graduate Studies part of the program yesterday. Hope this helps!

I got a call about an hour after matching from the PD and just got all the contract and deposit info yesterday.

If you’re still a dental student right now, I would continue building rapport with ortho faculty/other faculty in order to get recommendations for the next cycle. Continue participation in ortho-related activities or other leadership/volunteering roles to strengthen your application. Begin to re-work your personal statement to make it stronger. Think of this next application cycle both as an opportunity to build off of what you have learned from this past cycle and also as a clean slate. Once you start a job, try to get involved in ortho related activities through things like CE courses. Begin to note down interesting experiences you have with your patients both in school and at work so that you can use them as examples during your interviews. If you didn’t have a high GRE score, consider retaking the exam. Also, if you didn’t apply very widely this past cycle, apply more widely this year so that you maximize the number of interviews you can get.

If you’re already a GP right now, again try to expand your scope a little bit to include ortho-related procedures through CE. If you have time, maybe find an ortho office that’s open on weekends and shadow/assist there. I personally do not know too much about what it’s like to go the non traditional route (I’ve gone straight from college to dental school, and now straight to residency), so reaching out to someone who got in as a non traditional applicant may be better to get advice.

It really just boils down to this: you don’t want your application to stay static. You need to improve your application from the last cycle as much as you can. The schools want to see that you self-reflected on any mistakes that you made the previous year and worked hard to improve on them. Show growth and a commitment to the specialty. Hope that helps!
That sure helps! Thanks a lot for your elaborate response!
I’m a DMD4 student yeah.
All the best with your residency!

Congrats everyone! Are there any Canadians here that were able to Match to a US program this year?

Hey everyone! I didn’t apply for ortho this year but definitely thinking of applying next year. Does anyone know of any post match spots? Thinking of contacting directors to see if there’s any open spots for next year instead of waiting for a year (I’ve heard there might be due to covid??). Or does anyone know of any fellowship ortho opportunities that help get into ortho residencies that I can apply to?

Hey everyone! I didn’t apply for ortho this year but definitely thinking of applying next year. Does anyone know of any post match spots? Thinking of contacting directors to see if there’s any open spots for next year instead of waiting for a year (I’ve heard there might be due to covid??). Or does anyone know of any fellowship ortho opportunities that help get into ortho residencies that I can apply to?
The only school that had post-match spots was Georgia school

Did anyone hear back from Georgia? I have been trying to reach them by phone and email since 1st December but no one replied back to the email nor answered the phone!

Does anybody know if choosing to do the typodont boards in a state that doesn't accept them will affect your ability to practice orthodontics that state in the future?

Is GA still taking applications or residents who didn’t apply this cycle?

Does anybody know if choosing to do the typodont boards in a state that doesn't accept them will affect your ability to practice orthodontics that state in the future?
Depends on the state specialty licensing requirements - some states just require that you're licensed to practice general dentistry in ANY state and some require that you're licensed specifically in that state. If you contact your program director or any of the current residents at your program they should be able to tell you the requirements for your state.

Has anyone received an interview from Georgia School of Orthodontics? Is it on a rolling basis?
and do they participate in financial aid or have agreements with any private student loan lenders?

Any help is appreciated, thank you

***it has been taken***

Anyone want my GRE study material. All you have to do is pay for shipping to my paypal account and I will send you the following items. I'll try to ship media mail...hopefully the flashcards will count as well. Consider passing it off to someone else once you are finished with them. :) PM me for the four items below.

1. 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems: 1, 800+ Practice Problems in Book and Online (Manhattan Prep 5 lb): Manhattan Prep: 9781506247595: Amazon.com: Books (Cover is halfway torn and the first 25 pages have writing on it, but the remaining 1000+ pages don't)
2. 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides): Manhattan Prep: 9781935707882: Amazon.com: Books (kids were messing with them, could be missing a card or two, but not really used at all)
3. Manhattan Prep GRE: 500 Essential Words (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides): Dziura, Jennifer: 9781935707899: Amazon.com: Books
4. Official GRE Super Power Pack, Second Edition: Educational Testing Service: 0781349366667: Amazon.com: Books (Pencil markings in 1/8th of the pages, should be all erased)

Last edited:
That is insane. 36 residents per class and a 3 year residency right? That's over 100 orthodontic residents in one building. They'll need about 36 faculty members to handle that so I imagine many will be newly minted graduates of the school itself, the blind teaching the blind, incest, whatever. I wonder how much they will pay their faculty, guessing $400/day. They may need to give deals to residents to join faculty for x years in exchange for acceptance. What a mess.

That is insane. 36 residents per class and a 3 year residency right? That's over 100 orthodontic residents in one building. They'll need about 36 faculty members to handle that so I imagine many will be newly minted graduates of the school itself, the blind teaching the blind, incest, whatever. I wonder how much they will pay their faculty, guessing $400/day. They may need to give deals to residents to join faculty for x years in exchange for acceptance. What a mess.

The school in general is horrible for the specialty, but I imagine many employers, atleast those who own private practices rather than corporate offices, will be wary of hiring those who graduate from this school. Or atleast I would hope.

The school in general is horrible for the specialty, but I imagine many employers, atleast those who own private practices rather than corporate offices, will be wary of hiring those who graduate from this school. Or atleast I would hope.
Highly doubtful. Most will end up working in corps, corps will gladly take you as long as you have a degree and a pulse. It’ll have the opposite effect as corps will be salivating at the endless supply of new grads so they can lower the pay. Future orthodontists, beware.

Anyone here joining residency at jacksonville or fellowship program.
I would want to connect with them asap

Hi, starting dental school this year so apologies for the ignorance- do you have to take the GRE to apply for ortho residencies? Instead of the ADAT? Is one preferred over the other? If given a choice, do most students take the GRE instead? Seems like most people are posting those scores instead of ADAT scores. Would you say a high test score more important than class rank or vice versa?

Thanks!

Hi, starting dental school this year so apologies for the ignorance- do you have to take the GRE to apply for ortho residencies? Instead of the ADAT? Is one preferred over the other? If given a choice, do most students take the GRE instead? Seems like most people are posting those scores instead of ADAT scores. Would you say a high test score more important than class rank or vice versa?

Thanks!
GRE required. ADAT not required at most programs but may boost your application if you are lower class rank/Gpa and knock it out of the park. Class rank is king for ortho. Research, good gre score, extracurriculars, great letters of rec help, but class rank helps you get in the door.

• Care
Anyone applying in the spring want to take a look at each other's personal statement and offer some feedback?

I am eagerly looking forward to connect with someone joining the orthodontic fellowship program at jacksonville university
Please reply back.

please don’t judge my ignorance on applying to specialty programs (i will be a D1 this Fall).

I will be attending a p/np dental school & was wondering if that would place me at a disadvantage if i were to apply to ortho?
would having a strong ADAT score have the same effect as being top of my class?
thank you for ur help & insight!