**Official 2022 Peds PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody happen to have a summary of the CODA requirements handy? I'd love to have a short list of things such as required rotations, minimum # of sedations total and as primary operator, minimum # of OR cases, and anything else that may be helpful (research project requirements, particular didactic subjects each program must offer, etc). I think it would be helpful to know the baseline of what all programs do have in common so it's easier to identify how each one stands out! (When my first virtual externship of the year talked about having a 4 week anesthesia rotation, I was like "WOW that's such a cool thing to offer!" lol).

If nobody responds in the next day or two, I'll look over the document and follow up with what I find in case someone else finds it helpful! (It's 38 pages, which obviously isn't a big deal.... buuuut I can think of a few other ways I'd rather spend my evening, haha, so figured I'd ask y'all first)
Hey, y’all! I’ve gone through the CODA document and summarized some of the main points that I thought were most important. Also, this is based on the CODA requirements that were posted in the CODA manual; there is a PED flexibility document that was published in April 2020 in light of COVID, but I’m just posting the standard requirements for simplicity. Of course, there’s a ton more in the document than what I have typed below, but here are some of the highlights:

SEDATION:
-Residents must complete a minimum of 50 patient encounters in which sedative agents other than nitrous oxide are used (but may include nitrous oxide in combination with other agents).
-Of the 50 encounters, each resident must act as the sole primary operator in a minimum of 25 sedation cases.

OPERATING ROOM:
-Residents must treat a minimum of 20 patients under general anesthesia in the operating room.
-In 10 of the operating room cases, each resident provides the pre-operative workup and assessment, conduct medical risk assessment, admitting procedures, informed consent, intra-operative management (including completion of dental procedures), post-operative care, discharge, follow up, and completion of medical records

NITROUS OXIDE:
-Residents must complete 20 nitrous oxide analgesia patient encounters as primary operator.

ROTATIONS:
-Residents must complete a rotation under the supervision of an anesthesiologist in a facility approved to provide general anesthesia. This rotation must be at least four weeks in length and is the principal activity of the resident during this time.
-Residents in pediatric dentistry must participate in a pediatric medicine rotation of at least two weeks in duration. This may occur in a variety of settings i.e., Emergency Department, subspecialty clinics, multi-disciplinary team clinics, and general pediatrics

RESEARCH:
-Residents must engage in scholarly activity and must: 1) Participate in and complete a research project; 2) Use data collection and analysis; 3) Use elements of scientific method, and 4) Report results in a scientific forum.

TEACHING:
-Residents must engage in teaching activities which may include peers, predoctoral students, community based programs and activities, and other health professionals.

EVALUATION:
-At least semiannually, the progress toward and achievement of competencies for the discipline must be assessed using formal evaluation methods through the director & the faculty.
-The assessment of each resident’s performance must be provided to the residents at least semiannually
-A personal record must be maintained for each resident which is accessible to the resident at any time and must be available for review during site visits

OTHER RANDOM STUFF I FOUND INTERESTING/HELPFUL:
-Residents must have access to electronic-based information resources in the program (textbooks, journals, etc.)
-There must be didactic instruction on management of a contemporary dental practice, including the design, implementation, and management of a contemporary practice of pediatric dentistry, business skills for proper and efficient practice.
-Experiences must include infants, children, and adolescents, including patients with special health care needs, and use behavior techniques including non-pharmacological techniques, sedation, and inhalation analgesia
-Program must have access to clinical facilities that include adequate radiographic/laboratory facilities in close proximity to treatment area, recovery area facilities, and accessibility for patients with special health care needs.
-Program director must be board certified (appointed after 1/1/2000), and all pediatric dentistry members of the teaching staff must also be board certified/completed the educational requirements to pursue board certification (or, if foreign trained, must be comparably qualified).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey, y’all! I’ve gone through the CODA document and summarized some of the main points that I thought were most important. Also, this is based on the CODA requirements that were posted in the CODA manual; there is a PED flexibility document that was published in April 2020 in light of COVID, but I’m just posting the standard requirements for simplicity. Of course, there’s a ton more in the document than what I have typed below, but here are some of the highlights:

SEDATION:
-Residents must complete a minimum of 50 patient encounters in which sedative agents other than nitrous oxide are used (but may include nitrous oxide in combination with other agents).
-Of the 50 encounters, each resident must act as the sole primary operator in a minimum of 25 sedation cases.

OPERATING ROOM:
-Residents must treat a minimum of 20 patients under general anesthesia in the operating room.
-In 10 of the operating room cases, each resident provides the pre-operative workup and assessment, conduct medical risk assessment, admitting procedures, informed consent, intra-operative management (including completion of dental procedures), post-operative care, discharge, follow up, and completion of medical records

NITROUS OXIDE:
-Residents must complete 20 nitrous oxide analgesia patient encounters as primary operator.

ROTATIONS:
-Residents must complete a rotation under the supervision of an anesthesiologist in a facility approved to provide general anesthesia. This rotation must be at least four weeks in length and is the principal activity of the resident during this time.
-Residents in pediatric dentistry must participate in a pediatric medicine rotation of at least two weeks in duration. This may occur in a variety of settings i.e., Emergency Department, subspecialty clinics, multi-disciplinary team clinics, and general pediatrics

RESEARCH:
-Residents must engage in scholarly activity and must: 1) Participate in and complete a research project; 2) Use data collection and analysis; 3) Use elements of scientific method, and 4) Report results in a scientific forum.

TEACHING:
-Residents must engage in teaching activities which may include peers, predoctoral students, community based programs and activities, and other health professionals.

EVALUATION:
-At least semiannually, the progress toward and achievement of competencies for the discipline must be assessed using formal evaluation methods through the director & the faculty.
-The assessment of each resident’s performance must be provided to the residents at least semiannually
-A personal record must be maintained for each resident which is accessible to the resident at any time and must be available for review during site visits

-Residents must have access to electronic-based information resources in the program (textbooks, journals, etc.)
-There must be didactic instruction on management of a contemporary dental practice, including the design, implementation, and management of a contemporary practice of pediatric dentistry, business skills for proper and efficient practice.
-Experiences must include infants, children, and adolescents, including patients with special health care needs, and use behavior techniques including non-pharmacological techniques, sedation, and inhalation analgesia
-Program must have access to clinical facilities that include adequate radiographic/laboratory facilities in close proximity to treatment area, recovery area facilities, and accessibility for patients with special health care needs.
-Program director must be board certified (appointed after 1/1/2000), and all pediatric dentistry members of the teaching staff must also be board certified/completed the educational requirements to pursue board certification (or, if foreign trained, must be comparably qualified).

This. is. amazing.

Thank you so much for compiling this and sharing!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

SEDATION:

OPERATING ROOM:

NITROUS OXIDE:

ROTATIONS:

RESEARCH:

TEACHING:

EVALUATION:

Thank you for sharing.

I have Yale, UIC, OHSU, Columbia, Cinci, OSU, Temple
Do you remember how long it took for Yale to get back to you with confirmation? I received same-day confirmation from other schools.

Do you remember how long it took for Yale to get back to you with confirmation? I received same-day confirmation from other schools.

I submitted end of July and I got an email about 20 days later. It basically said: we are reviewing applications for completeness and will only contact you if you are missing something.

I'm sure they do these in waves and you'll get one soon.

Happy September, hopefully the month of invites 🤞

Reactions: 4 users
Any idea when programs start sending out invites?
Last year the first invite came out on September first. Maybe 18-20 programs sent out invites during the month of September, the majority sent invites in October, and a couple stragglers in the first week of November (Harvard/Columbia).

Sorry for the question, am I able to submit to some schools (i.e. schools that have an earlier deadline) today, and then submit the other ones (i.e. ones with a later deadline)? Or do I have to submit all my applications to all programs all at once?

Sorry for the question, am I able to submit to some schools (i.e. schools that have an earlier deadline) today, and then submit the other ones (i.e. ones with a later deadline)? Or do I have to submit all my applications to all programs all at once?
you can submit them on different days! I believe the price is the same too (you don't have to pay more if you submit on different days)

Members don't see this ad :)
+pissed+

Can someone please get an interview so I can feel like this process is moving along :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious since we are coming down to the wire :
How many programs did everyone apply to ?

Last year the first invite came out on September first. Maybe 18-20 programs sent out invites during the month of September, the majority sent invites in October, and a couple stragglers in the first week of November (Harvard/Columbia).
Does it make a difference if we are able to apply early in application cycle

Does it make a difference if we are able to apply early in application cycle

I agree that most programs do not care. BUT last year there were quite a few programs that offered interview invites weeks before their deadline. I think (statistically) it behooves you to be in a smaller group of applicants being considered for interview.

Obviously, if you have a good app, you'll be fine whenever.

Will they email us or call us to let us know we got an interview?

did anyone get a confirmation from rutgers after they mailed in their check?

I agree that most programs do not care. BUT last year there were quite a few programs that offered interview invites weeks before their deadline. I think (statistically) it behooves you to be in a smaller group of applicants being considered for interview.

Obviously, if you have a good app, you'll be fine whenever.
well last year i applied closer to deadline and it was my first cycle so I thought i may not have been considered. and i heard from the one that were successfull is that a lot of them submitted their applications by mid July and they thought it made a difference.

Brookdale Hospital Medical Center
Bronxcare Health System
Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital
Case Western Reserve University
Children's Hospital Boston
Children’s Hospital Colorado
Children’s Hospital Pittsburgh
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
Children’s National in DC
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
Columbia University
East Carolina University
Geisinger Medical Center
Hennepin County Medical Center email 9/2 virtual interviews 10/21, 11/8, 11/11
Indiana University
Interfaith Medical Center
Jacobi Medical Center
Loma Linda University
Louisiana State University
Lurie Children’s Hospital
Medical University of South Carolina
Montefiore
Nemours/A.I. duPont Hospital for Children
New York University
Nova
NYU Langone- Brooklyn, NY
NYU Langone- Columbia, MO
NYU Langone - San Diego, CA
NYU Langone- Tampa, FL
NYU Langone--Tucson, AZ
NYU Langone- Waianae, HI
NYU Langone--Yakima, WA
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
Saint Louis University
St. Barnabas
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children
Stony Brook University
Temple Univ. Hospital
Texas A&M
The Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University
The Ohio State
Tufts University
UCLA
UCSF 2-year
UCSF 3-year
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of British Columbia, Canada
University of Connecticut
University of Florida - Gainesville
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska
University of North Carolina
University of Pennsylvania
University of Rochester
University of Tennessee
University of Toledo
UNLV
USC
UT Houston
UT SanAntonio
UT San Antonio-Laredo Campus
UW
VCU
Woodhull
Yale New Haven Hospital
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Cohen Children's Medical Center

Reactions: 2 users
If I upload CV/Resume on PASS, should I still enter the same overlapping info on the Experiences Section on PASS?

Bronxcare Health System
Columbia University
East Carolina University
Geisinger Medical Center
Indiana University
Jacobi Medical Center
Loma Linda University
Montefiore
New York University
Nova
NYU Langone- Tampa, FL
NYU Langone--Tucson, AZ
NYU Langone- Waianae, HI
NYU Langone--Yakima, WA
Saint Louis University
St. Barnabas
Stony Brook University
Temple Univ. Hospital
Texas A&M
The Ohio State
Tufts University
UCLA
UCSF 2-year
UCSF 3-year
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska
University of Rochester
University of Tennessee
University of Toledo
UNLV
USC
UT Houston
UT SanAntonio
UW
VCU
Woodhull
Yale New Haven Hospital
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Cohen Children's Medical Center
WOOOO CONGRATS! First interview invite of the season. Let the games begin.
EDIT: ALSO. Wow, one whole month before their deadline... Crazy.

well last year i applied closer to deadline and it was my first cycle so I thought i may not have been considered. and i heard from the one that were successfull is that a lot of them submitted their applications by mid July and they thought it made a difference.
Yeah, that is what I have heard from past applicants too.

Will they email us or call us to let us know we got an interview?
Most schools email but about 20% call you (based on the last two years).

Last edited:
what happens if you don't waive right of access to rec letter?

what happens if you don't waive right of access to rec letter?
Agree that it is a huge red flag.

Your LOR writer will see that you did not waive your right and they can opt to reject your letter (not write it).
The schools you apply to see all of your letters on your app and it will read "Waived rights to letter: NO".
(This next part is an assumption based on my history working in an admissions office in undergrad): If you waive rights and the person writes you a letter its not like you will be able to see it in your portal. You have to contact PASS and request the letter be made available to you.

But again, it looks bad if you don't trust the person that you asked to write a letter. I totally understand that some schools require random letters sometimes and they may be from people that you know very little if at all... But, it still looks bad in my opinion.

Do residency programs have access to undergrad applications (Dental school) since they’re both under the same AADSAS number/ DENTPIN? Just wondering

huge red flag
Agree that it is a huge red flag.

Your LOR writer will see that you did not waive your right and they can opt to reject your letter (not write it).
The schools you apply to see all of your letters on your app and it will read "Waived rights to letter: NO".
(This next part is an assumption based on my history working in an admissions office in undergrad): If you waive rights and the person writes you a letter its not like you will be able to see it in your portal. You have to contact PASS and request the letter be made available to you.

But again, it looks bad if you don't trust the person that you asked to write a letter. I totally understand that some schools require random letters sometimes and they may be from people that you know very little if at all... But, it still looks bad in my opinion.
I clicked on i dont waive access for institution letter….
I dont think i can change this???.

If they have not written your letter yet then you can delete your request and send a new one. You can also call your institution and ask what their opinion is for not waiving rights.

If they have already written it then I would not even stress about it. It's a little thing hidden in an application full over other things.

Good luck!

You can not. But you can find out who does your institutional evaluation and send them an email explaining the situation. The programs you apply to will probably not care about what you selected. Only if you are accepted at a certain program and they agree to show you your application, will you find out what they wrote about you.

If they have not written your letter yet then you can delete your request and send a new one. You can also call your institution and ask what their opinion is for not waiving rights.

If they have already written it then I would not even stress about it. It's a little thing hidden in an application full over other things.

Good luck!
institution letter request is not removable unlike other letters of rec...

institution letter request is not removable unlike other letters of rec...
OH! I had no idea. I agree with TheSmileFactory - just call/email your institution and let them know and ask what their thoughts/suggestions are. No need to stress too much about it.

is it possible to change orders of dental experiences..>?? I don't think its chronological or alphabetical order???

Last edited:
is it ok to leave optional spaces blank? like supervisor contact info for experiences section?

Weird question... But, is anybody avoiding any peds programs based on their own experience or second hand stories?

Please feel free to private message me if you don't want to post on the board. I just want to make sure I don't have any programs on my list that have big issues that they hide well, haha!
any updates?

is it ok to leave optional spaces blank? like supervisor contact info for experiences section?
I left some address information blank (I included state and city only) for anything that was not employment. I know most of my friends applying left no blanks for anything though. So, do what looks best to you.

I tried to give an email and phone number for supervisors... But, some were long ago and I don't have the info anymore. But all of mine had at least some way to contact the supervisor.

any updates?
No. I have asked around but really just got people saying "really didn't like the way that interview felt". Nothing damning about any program.

I left some address information blank (I included state and city only) for anything that was not employment. I know most of my friends applying left no blanks for anything though. So, do what looks best to you.

I tried to give an email and phone number for supervisors... But, some were long ago and I don't have the info anymore. But all of mine had at least some way to contact the supervisor.

No. I have asked around but really just got people saying "really didn't like the way that interview felt". Nothing damning about any program.
how many hours of externship at each hospital or dental office did you enter?

what did you put for extracurricular activities?? sports?

If I were you I'd call pass ASAP and have them delete it so you can send it again. This process is hard enough without shooting yourself in the foot.

Are most of programs’ hours 7am to 7pm??

what did you put for extracurricular activities?? sports?
Totally up to what you have done with your time in undergrad and dental school.
I included taking dental spanish courses, study clubs, tutoring, anything that would be considered extracurricular and outside of the school course load. Sports (sports teams) should be included if its a big part of what you did in undergrad or dental.

I only included two huge things that I did during my undergrad... But since I have worked after dental school it felt weird to go that far back and include things from like 2005 haha!
Are most of programs’ hours 7am to 7pm??
Most seem to be about 7am-5pm (earlier [5:30-6am-ish] when you are on GA or OCS cases). Obviously 24-hours when you are on call.

Bronxcare Health System
Columbia University
East Carolina University
Geisinger Medical Center
Indiana University
Jacobi Medical Center
Loma Linda University
Montefiore
New York University
Nova
NYU Langone- Tampa, FL
NYU Langone--Tucson, AZ
NYU Langone- Waianae, HI
NYU Langone--Yakima, WA
Saint Louis University
St. Barnabas
Stony Brook University
Temple Univ. Hospital
Texas A&M
The Ohio State
Tufts University
UCLA
UCSF 2-year
UCSF 3-year
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska
University of Rochester
University of Tennessee
University of Toledo
UNLV
USC
UT Houston
UT SanAntonio
UW
VCU
Woodhull
Yale New Haven Hospital

Got that same email from HCMC!