This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey thanks for the response! Just for my own edification, I would assume the breakdown would be similar to this:

NFW:
Jefferson
Penn
Brown
Darmouth
Michigan
OHSU
Iowa
Wisconsin
Yale
Mayo? (But working here, so idk?)

For these instead of giving money to ERAS, rather pick another 10 reaches/targets

Reach:

Ohio State
Case
Florida
Rush
Wake
Loyola
Tennessee

Target:
Cincinnati
Cleveland CLinic Main (maybe a reach not sure)
Penn State
Kentucky
Louisville
Georgetown (maybe a reach not sure)
Indianan (maybe a reach not sure)
George Washington
Michigan State

Safety:
Everyone else

I know you mentioned some schools to identify based upon prior postings, but are there any that jump out to you that I should def apply for?

Thanks again!
I think loyola and UF-gainesville are targets, as would be say USF-tampa? Indiana is target , UT memphis/Nashville/Knoxville isn't a reach and also target..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey thanks for the response! Just for my own edification, I would assume the breakdown would be similar to this:

NFW:
Jefferson
Penn
Brown
Darmouth
Michigan
OHSU
Iowa
Wisconsin
Yale
Mayo? (But working here, so idk?)

For these instead of giving money to ERAS, rather pick another 10 reaches/targets

Reach:

Ohio State
Case
Florida
Rush
Wake
Loyola
Tennessee

Target:
Cincinnati
Cleveland CLinic Main (maybe a reach not sure)
Penn State
Kentucky
Louisville
Georgetown (maybe a reach not sure)
Indianan (maybe a reach not sure)
George Washington
Michigan State

Safety:
Everyone else

I know you mentioned some schools to identify based upon prior postings, but are there any that jump out to you that I should def apply for?

Thanks again!
Penn, Mich, Yale and maybe Mayo and tOSU are NFW. The rest in your list are Reaches, but worth it.

TBH, nobody, especially not me, knows exactly which of those places would be willing to give you a shot so if you can afford it, it hurts nothing but your ego to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also what are some solid academic programs in TX other than UTSW and BCM houston? there are so many TX Techs and UTs that I don't know which ones are the better programs

Are you sure? Its all DOs and IMGs
Yes Shreveport and New Orleans, I mean just because it’s all IMG’s and few USMD’s and DO’s doesn’t mean it’s not a true academic center. But by far the best IM residency in Louisiana is Tulane, a solid upper mid tier residency that is USMD and DO’s only..

Last edited:
Also what are some solid academic programs in TX other than UTSW and BCM houston? there are so many TX Techs and UTs that I don't know which ones are the better programs
Lol bruh do you have ties to Texas? Will be very hard to match in TX without ties coming from the north east and no away rotation

Lol bruh do you have ties to Texas? Will be very hard to match in TX without ties coming from the north east and no away rotation
I do have ties lol I have a lot of family there. My entire moms side of the family is from there and lives there. I plan on applying to BCM and UTSW as reaches (UTSW=donation haha) but was considering Dell, UTMB and some others

Yes Shreveport and New Orleans, I mean just because it’s all DO’s and IMG’s doesn’t mean it’s not a true academic center. But by far the best IM residency in Louisiana is Tulane, a solid upper mid tier residency that is USMD and DO’s only..
Yes i am applying to Tulane lol I guess youre right I am just surprised at how there are literally only like 2 USMDs

Yes i am applying to Tulane lol I guess youre right I am just surprised at how there are literally only like 2 USMDs
Yea that program is mostly FMG’s from what I remember. But LSU nola and Baton Rouge are solid. We have alumni there from my school and they had good stuff to say about them. They aren’t as name brand or as clout though haha. In Texas I am not sure about the rankings of say UT Houston vs Houston Methodist or UTMB or dell or Ut San Antonio they are all kind of simmilar.

Someone please critique my list. I am so lost as to gauging whether it's complete enough. I will be applying to both categorical + primary care track for all programs on my list that offer one.

Stats: DO student, 250-255 Step 1, 255-260 Step 2, high COMLEX.
Currently have 2 LORs I think would be strong, 1 generic chair letter, 1 other letter. Hoping to get one from my sub-I as well.
M3 grades: H in all but one core (including both medicine months), can't honor electives so P in those
Didn't do anything super exhilarating in med school, but have the standard stuff. No research (have a couple of things from undergrad).
Goal: South Florida program, really excited about signaling because in my position my stats are above any program that I am targeting (with the exception of being a DO, which makes gauging competitiveness kind of hard)

Programs:
-AdventHealth Orlando
-Baylor COM (Houston)
-Baylor Scott/White
-Baylor University (Dallas)
-Broward Health North
-Broward Health
-Cleveland Clinic FL
-Duke
-Emory
-FAU
-FSU Sarasota
-FSU Main
-HCA/Mercer
-USF/Blake
-USF/Brandon
-USF/Largo
-USF/Northside
-Aventura Hospital
-Kendall Regional
-HCA/Westside
-Manatee Memorial
-Mayo Jax
-Memorial Healthcare
-Mount Sinai Miami Beach
-NCH Healthcare
-Orlando Health
-Palmetto General
-SLU
-St. Luke's
-UCF in Gainesville
-UCF Orlando
-UF Jax
-UF main
-KU Wichita
-KU main
-U of Miami/Holy Cross
-U of Miami/JFK
-U of Miami main
-Mizzou
-UMKC
-UNC
-USF
-University of Tennessee
-UT San Antonio
-UTHSC Houston
-UT Austin Dell
-Vanderbilt
-Wash U

Don't go to LSU Shreveport! Students from my school rotate there, and most them say they wouldn't go back there. Plus I've heard some pretty concerning news coming from there recently. Knowing you @Deecee2DO, I'd say you can land something way better than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go to LSU Shreveport! Students from my school rotate there, and most them say they wouldn't go back there. Plus I've heard some pretty concerning news coming from there recently. Knowing you @Deecee2DO, I'd say you can land something way better than that.
Thanks for the heads up! I am going to apply to LSU Baton rouge and thats probably it for LSU campuses. I was going to apply as a safety

Someone please critique my list. I am so lost as to gauging whether it's complete enough. I will be applying to both categorical + primary care track for all programs on my list that offer one.

Currently have 2 LORs I think would be strong, 1 generic chair letter, 1 other letter. Hoping to get one from my sub-I as well.
M3 grades: H in all but one core (including both medicine months), can't honor electives so P in those
Didn't do anything super exhilarating in med school, but have the standard stuff. No research (have a couple of things from undergrad).
Goal: South Florida program, really excited about signaling because in my position my stats are above any program that I am targeting (with the exception of being a DO, which makes gauging competitiveness kind of hard)

Programs:
-AdventHealth Orlando
-Baylor COM (Houston)
-Baylor Scott/White
-Broward Health North
-Broward Health
-Cleveland Clinic FL
-Duke
-Emory
-FAU
-FSU Sarasota
-FSU Main
-HCA/Mercer
-USF/Blake
-USF/Brandon
-USF/Largo
-USF/Northside
-Aventura Hospital
-Kendall Regional
-HCA/Westside
-Manatee Memorial
-Mayo Jax
-Memorial Healthcare
-Mount Sinai Miami Beach
-NCH Healthcare
-Orlando Health
-Palmetto General
-SLU
-St. Luke's
-UCF in Gainesville
-UCF Orlando
-UF Jax
-UF main
-KU Wichita
-KU main
-U of Miami/Holy Cross
-U of Miami/JFK
-U of Miami main
-Mizzou
-UMKC
-UNC
-USF
-University of Tennessee
-UT San Antonio
-UTHSC Houston
-UT Austin Dell
-Vanderbilt
-Wash U
Can't really weigh in as its only me the MS4 lmao but just wanted to say we are applying to at least 15 of the same programs. Imagine if we ended up at same program LOL

• Haha
Can't really weigh in as its only me the MS4 lmao but just wanted to say we are applying to at least 15 of the same programs. Imagine if we ended up at same program LOL
See you on the interview trail maybe ;)

General question about programs with in house fellowships. Is it considered a good or bad thing if a residency program's fellowship match list is almost all to the applicants home program? An example would be UF Jax where almost everyone who was applying to fellowship(presumably) matched at their home program.

Programs:
-AdventHealth Orlando
-Baylor COM (Houston)
-Baylor Scott/White
-Broward Health North
-Broward Health
-Cleveland Clinic FL
-Duke
-Emory
-FAU
-FSU Sarasota
-FSU Main
-HCA/Mercer
-USF/Blake
-USF/Brandon
-USF/Largo
-USF/Northside
-Aventura Hospital
-Kendall Regional
-HCA/Westside
-Manatee Memorial
-Mayo Jax
-Memorial Healthcare
-Mount Sinai Miami Beach
-NCH Healthcare
-Orlando Health
-Palmetto General
-SLU
-St. Luke's
-UCF in Gainesville
-UCF Orlando
-UF Jax
-UF main
-KU Wichita
-KU main
-U of Miami/Holy Cross
-U of Miami/JFK
-U of Miami main
-Mizzou
-UMKC
-UNC
-USF
-University of Tennessee
-UT San Antonio
-UTHSC Houston
-UT Austin Dell
-Vanderbilt
-Wash U
I just want to say we have an eerily similar app and are applying to a lot of the same programs, so I can’t wait to see someone critique your list!

I just want to say we have an eerily similar app and are applying to a lot of the same programs, so I can’t wait to see someone critique your list!
You and me both haha.

Good luck!! Maybe we'll run into each other on the trail.

Anybody have any feedback? I am fighting the urge to add more programs on the daily.

Anybody have any feedback? I am fighting the urge to add more programs on the daily.
lol imo for what its worth no way you need to add more. You have more than enough community programs youre overqualified for but thats just me. Theres been a lot of silence on this thread im surprised since its getting closer to submission time

You have more than enough community programs youre overqualified for but thats just me.
Actually this is one of the things that makes me nervous like maybe I need to add more "target" programs.

Actually this is one of the things that makes me nervous like maybe I need to add more "target" programs.

We have way too much overlap of programs; you're a stellar applicant!

• Care
Would love any help!!! I am an anxious freaking mess.

DO student applying IM with hopes of PCCM

Step 1: 230, Level 1: 584
Step 2: 251, Level 2: 756
Honored all clinical rotations so far, except HP in IM wtf
7 pubs but all case report posters, hand full of research/work/volunteer experiences
Advisor said my PS was "one of the better ones [he'd] read in a while
No real regional preference, all my hospitals listed have in house PCCM fellowships.

My list (in somewhat alphabetical order by state):

-U Arizona -phoenix + U Arizona Tuscon
-George Wash
-Georgetown
-U Florida Gainesville + Jacksonville
-Mayo Jacksonville, FL
- U Miami/ jackson
-U South Florida Morsani
-Emory
-Medical College of Georgia
-Loyola
-U of Illinois @ Peoria
-Indiana U
-U Kansas
-U Kentucky
-U Louisville
-Louisiana State
-U Mass, Worcester
-U Maryland Midtown
-U Missouri Columbia + Kansas City
-St. Louis U
-U Mississippi
-UNC
-Duke
-Wake Forest
-Cooper Med of Rowan
-U New Mexico
-U Nevada Las Vegas
-U Cincinnati
-Oregon Health and Science
-Providence Health + Providence St. Vincent in Portland, OR
-Geisinger
-Penn State
-Albert Einstein in Philly
-Alleghany Health Network
-Main Line Health in Wynnewood, PA
-Medical U of South Carolina
-Prisma Health in Columbia, SC
-U Tenn in Knoxville + U Tenn Memphis
-Vanderbilt
-VCU
-UVA
-Virginia Tech Carilion Clinic
-U of Vermont

Thank you in advance!!!
Duke, UNC, Emory and Vandy aren't happening. Feel free to apply anyway and I'm happy to be proven wrong if that's the case.

The rest are solidly in your wheelhouse. You'll get rejections from some and interview offers from plenty.

Not sure you need to add any more programs but I can think of 5-10 off the top of my head that you could add if you care.

Thank you for your thoughts! I figured that Duke, UNC, Emory, and Vanderbilt were no-gos but thought I'd throw my hat in the ring on the off chance of hell freezing over. I'm happy to hear you think the rest are reachable. I'd love to know the 5-10 you're thinking of to add if you don't mind! Here or feel free to PM me. Thanks again!
Just looking geographically at what you've already put down:
Iowa
UIC
Rush
Bayview
Carolinas
Whichever other LSU program you're not already applying to (NO vs BR)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
Brown
Baystate

Med school: Newer DO
Quartile: 4th
Step 1: 217
Step 2: not taking; Level 1/2 >500 (~40th percentile)
Clinical grades: still not released unfortunately
LORs: should have 1-2 IM, psych, hopefully FM - should be at least 2 strong and 1 average
Research: none
Extracurriculars: none
Red flags: none

I am planning to apply to both FM and IM but I don't really have a list yet. I would like to stay in Texas but understand if I can't; no desire for an academic program. My primary need is low cost of living since I have quite a big family and why I would prefer to stay in Texas. My goal is to apply to 30 programs with a focus on programs where I'm around 50th percentile on Residency Explorer and have a history of taking DOs. Will I need to expand my amount of applications significantly?

Med school: Newer DO
Quartile: 4th
Step 1: 217
Step 2: not taking; Level 1/2 >500 (~40th percentile)
Clinical grades: still not released unfortunately
LORs: should have 1-2 IM, psych, hopefully FM - should be at least 2 strong and 1 average
Research: none
Extracurriculars: none
Red flags: none

I am planning to apply to both FM and IM but I don't really have a list yet. I would like to stay in Texas but understand if I can't; no desire for an academic program. My primary need is low cost of living since I have quite a big family and why I would prefer to stay in Texas. My goal is to apply to 30 programs with a focus on programs where I'm around 50th percentile on Residency Explorer and have a history of taking DOs. Will I need to expand my amount of applications significantly?
You are a US student, so stick to one specialty because as of now you don't have any red flags. You should be ok to match low tier university or community IM program. I would apply ~50 if I were in your spot. Dont try to save 1k after spending 250k+ for your medical degree. You just dont want to go thru the SOAP.

The 50-60k/year stipend you will get can go far if you are not in a big metro, the NE, California or DC area.

Last edited:
Can anyone take a look at my post? Thanks

Additionally, is a 4th quartile rank in mspe considered a red flag?

Last edited:
Can anyone take a look at my post? Thanks

Additionally, is a 4th quartile rank in mspe considered a red flag?
My med school has said no...I am right there with you in the 4th quartile, although board scores tell a different story.

School: T10 MD
Step 1: 24x
Step 2: 26x
Clinical: All honors
LORs: 4 letters
Research: 6 pubs, 7 posters
ECs: a couple leadership positions, light volunteering

My school recommends applying to 15 programs, but I'm not sure if I have enough target/safety programs. Also not sure which of the programs on my list actually are targets? Would appreciate any advice about possible safety programs to add to my list! Don’t have a strong geographical preference. Thanks!

Current List:
MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
UCSF
Duke
Hopkins
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
Mt Sinai
U Pennsylvania
U Washington
Yale
UPMC
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Chicago
Emory
UNC
BU

Last edited:
School: T10 MD
Step 1: 24x
Step 2: 26x
School doesn't do class ranking, AOA, or GHHS
Clinical: All honors
LORs: 2 clinical letters, 1 research letter, 1 generic department chair letter
Research: All basic science- 3 pubs from undergrad, 3 pubs during med school (2 reviews, 1 mid author), 1 first author manuscript under review, 1 oral presentation, 7 posters
ECs: a couple leadership positions, some part time work during med school, light volunteering

My school recommends applying to 15 programs, but I'm not sure if I have enough target/safety programs. Also not sure which of the programs on my list actually are targets? Would appreciate any advice about possible safety programs to add to my list! Don’t have a strong geographical preference, interested in PCCSM. Thanks!

Current List:
MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
UCSF
Duke
Hopkins
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
Mt Sinai
U Pennsylvania
U Washington
Yale
UPMC
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Chicago
Emory
UNC
BU
You basically only have 1 target/safety program on your list.

Will you be okay? Probably. Would it kill you to add 5-10 mid-tier programs in a geographic region you prefer? Definitely not.

You basically only have 1 target/safety program on your list.

Will you be okay? Probably. Would it kill you to add 5-10 mid-tier programs in a geographic region you prefer? Definitely not.
Thanks for your advice! What might be some mid tier programs that you would recommend adding if I prefer to be on the East Coast?

Thanks for your advice! What might be some mid tier programs that you would recommend adding if I prefer to be on the East Coast?
Rutgers-RWJ
Dartmouth
Jeff
Northwell (or whatever the old Northshore program is called now)
Maryland
Hopkins-Bayview
UVa
UMass

That'll get you started

Hello everyone. Never really post here much. I received a Step 1 score of 218 and Step 2 of 234. What are my chances of matching at a good academic IM program on the east coast as a DO student? Currently, considering apply to about to 40-50 programs but it is incredibly hard to search the odds of matching somewhere without applying but also don't want to spend too much money on not applying everywhere. Thank you and good luck to everyone.
Consider low tier university and good community programs. Unlikely to match into midltier such as U of FL, UMiami, UNC, U of south FL, Wake Forest etc...

Hi all! Appreciate any feedback on list for any last minute add-ons:

Low-tier school in the South East
Step 1: Mid 230s
Step 2: Pending; predicted 245-255
Quartile: 2nd
AOA: No, but GHHS
Clerkships: (H/P/F system) Honor FM; P everything else (Bummer on IM and Sub-I due to technicality, but glowing clinical evals)
LOR: 1 generic chair, 1 strong PD, 2 clerkship faculty in IM (I think would be strong)
Research: 2 pubs, 1 first author, 4 posters
Volunteering/EXC: strong leadership and volunteer involvement with some unique ECs

Goal: Fellowship match in GI or Heme/Onc - so academic IM
No geographic preference

List:

North:
Dartmouth
Brown
BU
Tufts
Hopkins-Bayview
Georgetown
GW
Rochester
Einstein
Monte
Cornell
UPMC
Jefferson
Temple
NYU

South:
UNC
Wake
UAB
UVA
Tulane
USF
UF
Miami/Jackson
Emory
Vandy

Midwest:
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Rush
Case Western
CCF

Southwest:
Baylor
UTSW
UT Austin
UT Houston

West:
Colorado
USC
Utah
Kaiser (LA)
OHSU
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
OHSU

I know there are a fair share of donations I'm handing to ERAS in there, but figured I might as well shoot my shot because I'm already in debt and a couple hundred dollars isn't going to make a difference at this point! Hopefully I have enough schools within reach for 12-15 interviews.

Last edited:
What would be considered low tier? Rutgers, VCU, Medstar, Cooper Rowan, Penn State?
Not familiar with Rutgers, but I would consider the other ones low tier. You can add U of South Carolina, FAU, Central FL, FSU, Morehouse, MCG etc... U Miami has two good affiliated programs (holy cross and JFK), so you might consider those as well.

Nervous US-MD student here. WAMC?

MD student
5 year student - Failed first semester of M1 year, academic LOA for the rest of the academic year, repeated/restarted M1 at the start of the next academic year, no fails since
Step 1: 195 =/
Step 2: 233
Clerkship grades a mix of Pass and High Passes
Two research projects, one was the Medical Student Summer Research program which I presented at my schools research fair, 2nd project was an offshoot of the first project
Some volunteer experiences

Will I need to apply to 200+ programs? Super worried about not matching.

Hi all! Appreciate any feedback on list for any last minute add-ons:

Low-tier school in the South East
Step 1: Mid 230s
Step 2: Pending; predicted 245-255
Quartile: 2nd
AOA: No, but GHHS
Clerkships: (H/P/F system) Honor FM; P everything else (Bummer on IM and Sub-I due to technicality, but glowing clinical evals)
LOR: 1 generic chair, 1 strong PD, 2 clerkship faculty in IM (I think would be strong)
Research: 2 pubs, 1 first author, 4 posters
Volunteering/EXC: strong leadership and volunteer involvement with some unique ECs

Goal: Fellowship match in GI or Heme/Onc - so academic IM
No geographic preference

List:

North:
Dartmouth
Brown
BU
Tufts
Hopkins-Bayview
Georgetown
GW
Rochester
Einstein
Monte
Cornell
UPMC
Jefferson
Temple
NYU

South:
UNC
Wake
UAB
UVA
Tulane
USF
UF
Miami/Jackson
Emory
Vandy

Midwest:
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Rush
Case Western
CCF

Southwest:
Baylor
UTSW
UT Austin
UT Houston

West:
Colorado
USC
Utah
Kaiser (LA)
OHSU
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
OHSU

I know there are a fair share of donations I'm handing to ERAS in there, but figured I might as well shoot my shot because I'm already in debt and a couple hundred dollars isn't going to make a difference at this point! Hopefully I have enough schools within reach for 12-15 interviews.
Your list seem too top heavy..
I believe it was Case that requires at least a HP on your IM core clerkship grade.

Bracing myself for this one.

Stats:
Completely average state MD school. 3rd quartile preclinical (P/F but with reported quartiles).
Step 1: 21X
Step 2: 23X
All passes during 3rd year except honored IM
Great LORs (people I've worked with for 10+ years who have said they will go to bat for me), work as COVID RN, lots of RN experiences
No research since UG (and that was just bench stuff)

[EDIT: this is my list as it currently stands. Lots of regional variance. Some of them are primary care tracks, as that's an interest I have]

Baylor College of Medicine Program – Houston, Texas
Baylor University Medical Center Program – Dallas, Texas
Billings Clinic Program – Billings, Montana
Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals
Cleveland Medical Center Program – Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Clinic (Florida) Program – Weston, Florida
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha) Program – Omaha, Nebraska
Duke University Hospital Program – Durham, North Carolina
Emory University School of Medicine Program – Atlanta, Georgia
Florida State University College of Medicine (Sarasota) Program – Sarasota, Florida
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee) Program – Tallahassee, Florida
HCA Healthcare Kansas City Program – Overland Park, Kansas
HCA Healthcare/Mercer University School of Medicine/Coliseum Medical Centers Program – Macon, Georgia
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Medical Center Trinity Program – Trinity, Florida
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Northside Hospital Program – St. Petersburg, Florida
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Oak Hill Hospital Program – Brookseville, Florida
Loma Linda University Health Education Consortium Program – Loma Linda, California
Maine Medical Center Program – Portland, Maine
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Jacksonville) Program – Jacksonville, Florida
Medical University of South Carolina Program – Charleston, South Carolina
Methodist Hospital (Houston) Program – Houston, Texas
Ohio State University Hospital Program – Columbus, Ohio
Oregon Health & Science University Program – Portland, Oregon
Orlando Health Program – Orlando, Florida
Prisma Health/University of South Carolina SOM Columbia (Columbia) Program – Columbia, south Carolina
Providence Health & Services - Oregon/Providence Medical Center Program – Portland, Oregon
Saint Joseph Hospital Program – Denver, Colorado
St Louis University School of Medicine Program – St Louis, Missouri
Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White Medical Center (Temple) Program – Temple, Texas
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) College of Medicine Program – Little Rock, Arkansas
University of Colorado Program – Aurora, Colorado
University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville Program – Jacksonville, Florida
University of Florida Program – Gainesville, Florida
University of Iowa (Des Moines) Program – Des Moines, Iowa
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program – Iowa City, Iowa
University of Kansas (Wichita) Program – Wichita, Kansas
University of Kansas School of Medicine Program – Kansas City, Kansas
University of Kentucky College of Medicine Program – Lexington, Kentucky
University of Mississippi Medical Center Program – Jackson, Mississippi
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine Program – Kansas City, Missouri
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Program – Omaha, Nebraska
University of North Dakota Program – Fargo, North Dakota
University of Oklahoma School of Community Medicine (Tulsa) Program – Tulsa, Oklahoma
University of South Florida Morsani Program – Tampa, Florida
University of Tennessee (Nashville) Program – Nashville, Tennessee
University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga Program – Chattanooga, Tennessee
University of Tennessee Program – Memphis, Tennessee
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School Program – Austin, Texas
University of Vermont Medical Center Program – Burlington, Vermont
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program – Nashville, Tennessee
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program – St Louis, Missouri
White River Health System Program – Batesville, Arkansas
Wright State University Program – Dayton, Ohio
Yale-New Haven Medical Center (Primary Care) Program – New Haven, Connecticut

Still looking for feedback on my list; I feel like it's reach-heavy but as long as everyone thinks I have enough target/safety programs to match I'm going to leave it.

Only update to my app is that my MSPE is complete. It focuses pretty heavily on my COVID work, but talks about my success in IM clerkship etc as well. So probably a wash?

Bracing myself for this one.

Stats:
Completely average state MD school. 3rd quartile preclinical (P/F but with reported quartiles).
Step 1: 21X
Step 2: 23X
All passes during 3rd year except honored IM
Great LORs (people I've worked with for 10+ years who have said they will go to bat for me), work as COVID RN, lots of RN experiences
No research since UG (and that was just bench stuff)

[EDIT: this is my list as it currently stands. Lots of regional variance. Some of them are primary care tracks, as that's an interest I have]

Baylor College of Medicine Program – Houston, Texas
Baylor University Medical Center Program – Dallas, Texas
Billings Clinic Program – Billings, Montana
Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals
Cleveland Medical Center Program – Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Clinic (Florida) Program – Weston, Florida
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha) Program – Omaha, Nebraska
Duke University Hospital Program – Durham, North Carolina
Emory University School of Medicine Program – Atlanta, Georgia

Florida State University College of Medicine (Sarasota) Program – Sarasota, Florida
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee) Program – Tallahassee, Florida
HCA Healthcare Kansas City Program – Overland Park, Kansas
HCA Healthcare/Mercer University School of Medicine/Coliseum Medical Centers Program – Macon, Georgia
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Medical Center Trinity Program – Trinity, Florida
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Northside Hospital Program – St. Petersburg, Florida
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Oak Hill Hospital Program – Brookseville, Florida
Loma Linda University Health Education Consortium Program – Loma Linda, California
Maine Medical Center Program – Portland, Maine
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Jacksonville) Program – Jacksonville, Florida
Medical University of South Carolina Program – Charleston, South Carolina
Methodist Hospital (Houston) Program – Houston, Texas
Ohio State University Hospital Program – Columbus, Ohio
Oregon Health & Science University Program – Portland, Oregon
Orlando Health Program – Orlando, Florida
Prisma Health/University of South Carolina SOM Columbia (Columbia) Program – Columbia, south Carolina
Providence Health & Services - Oregon/Providence Medical Center Program – Portland, Oregon
Saint Joseph Hospital Program – Denver, Colorado
St Louis University School of Medicine Program – St Louis, Missouri
Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White Medical Center (Temple) Program – Temple, Texas
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) College of Medicine Program – Little Rock, Arkansas
University of Colorado Program – Aurora, Colorado
University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville Program – Jacksonville, Florida
University of Florida Program – Gainesville, Florida
University of Iowa (Des Moines) Program – Des Moines, Iowa
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program – Iowa City, Iowa
University of Kansas (Wichita) Program – Wichita, Kansas
University of Kansas School of Medicine Program – Kansas City, Kansas
University of Kentucky College of Medicine Program – Lexington, Kentucky
University of Mississippi Medical Center Program – Jackson, Mississippi
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine Program – Kansas City, Missouri
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Program – Omaha, Nebraska
University of North Dakota Program – Fargo, North Dakota
University of Oklahoma School of Community Medicine (Tulsa) Program – Tulsa, Oklahoma
University of South Florida Morsani Program – Tampa, Florida
University of Tennessee (Nashville) Program – Nashville, Tennessee
University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga Program – Chattanooga, Tennessee
University of Tennessee Program – Memphis, Tennessee
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School Program – Austin, Texas
University of Vermont Medical Center Program – Burlington, Vermont
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program – Nashville, Tennessee
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program – St Louis, Missouri
White River Health System Program – Batesville, Arkansas
Wright State University Program – Dayton, Ohio
Yale-New Haven Medical Center (Primary Care) Program – New Haven, Connecticut
The highlighted ones should be removed from your list unless you want to make a donation to these programs.

The highlighted ones should be removed from your list unless you want to make a donation to these programs.
2 points here:
1. Several more that are probably "donations".
2. The donation is to NRMP/ERAS. Programs get exactly $0 from your application.

2 points here:
1. Several more that are probably "donations".
2. The donation is to NRMP/ERAS. Programs get exactly $0 from your application.
I wanted to be nice. I could have highlighted another 6-8 programs. Not sure why people can gauge their competitiveness... It's ok to have 3-4 dream programs in your list, but to have 10+ makes think you are not taking that process seriously.

It's amazing people think they can match at top programs with <230 step1 score!

Last edited:

Programs:
-AdventHealth Orlando
-Baylor COM (Houston)
-Baylor Scott/White
-Broward Health North
-Broward Health
-Cleveland Clinic FL
-Duke
-Emory
-FAU
-FSU Sarasota
-FSU Main
-HCA/Mercer
-USF/Blake
-USF/Brandon
-USF/Largo
-USF/Northside
-Aventura Hospital
-Kendall Regional
-HCA/Westside
-Manatee Memorial
-Mayo Jax
-Memorial Healthcare
-Mount Sinai Miami Beach
-NCH Healthcare
-Orlando Health
-Palmetto General
-SLU
-St. Luke's
-UCF in Gainesville
-UCF Orlando
-UF Jax
-UF main
-KU Wichita
-KU main
-U of Miami/Holy Cross
-U of Miami/JFK
-U of Miami main
-Mizzou
-UMKC
-UNC
-USF
-University of Tennessee
-UT San Antonio
-UTHSC Houston
-UT Austin Dell
-Vanderbilt
-Wash U
Your list is pretty all over the place. I will try and give advice where I can. With no research, I would say you are essentially donating money to Vandy, WashU, Duke, and Emory. Not saying you won't get an interview as your scores are very high, but your chance of being ranked to match is truly low because of the strength of the MD applicant pool (scores just as high as yours with research, letters from very high level/well known faculty) applying to these programs. UNC has not a single DO in their program so it will also be the same as the programs above.

Baylor dallas, SLU, KU, UMKC, UT-Dell, UT-San Antonio, UF, CCF-Fl, Mizzou, Orlando,

I have not heard great things about broward.

I am biased perhaps, but stay away from HCA, they will try to sell you hard on the amenities but at the end of the day, you'll understand and feel priority of the system.

Hello everyone. I am a US MD student, step 1 219, step 2 240, have only passed all clerkships with the exceptions of surgery and psych (HS and H respectively), no red flags in terms of failed classes/clerkships etc. I have some research (2+ years data analysis/writing) and one paper submitted for publication, but no official publications, no other ECs whatsoever. Lowest quintile for preclinical grades. My LORs will likely not be anything to write home about, I have a 1 letter from my IM attending, another two from a psych and FM attending, and the department chair letter. I could get another LOR from an ICU attending but that will be in October at the earliest. I had decent comments on my MSPE for all my rotations including IM, but doubt they matter much due to me not honoring most of my rotations.

My goal is to match and I have absolutely zero geographic preference or prestige preference; it would be nice to be able to match into an academic program as I am somewhat interested in pursuing PCCM or CC for fellowship. Don't care if i match into the lowest tier program in an "undesirable location" as long as I match at the end of the day. I would very much appreciate some recommendations for programs to apply to considering my low step scores, with my main goal being to match. So far, I have applied to my home program, and -

Eastern coast programs
Albany,
downstate
upstate,
Rochester,
stonybrook

Midwest programs
University of Indiana,
University of Tennesse,
Beaumont,
Rutgers JWH,
North dakota university,
minneosota university,
temple university
Wake forest
western reserve in OH
West Virginia University School of Medicine/Camden-Clark Program

southern programs (unsure where else to apply for the south, have heard TX was competitive for non-texans so am avoiding it for now)
St louis (LSU baton rogue)
white river in arkansas
Emory (heard this was super competitive, will likely drop)

western -
MedStar Health/Georgetown University Hospital Program,
several university of california programs (am reconsidering this idea as I've heard cali is very competitive)
George Washington (heard this was competitive so will likely drop this soon)

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am a US MD student, step 1 219, step 2 240, have only passed all clerkships with the exceptions of surgery and psych (HS and H respectively), no red flags in terms of failed classes/clerkships etc. I have some research (2+ years data analysis/writing) and one paper submitted for publication, but no official publications, no other ECs whatsoever. Lowest quintile for preclinical grades. My LORs will likely not be anything to write home about, I have a 1 letter from my IM attending, another two from a psych and FM attending, and the department chair letter. I could get another LOR from an ICU attending but that will be in October at the earliest. I had decent comments on my MSPE for all my rotations including IM, but doubt they matter much due to me not honoring most of my rotations.

My goal is to match and I have absolutely zero geographic preference or prestige preference; it would be nice to be able to match into an academic program as I am somewhat interested in pursuing PCCM or CC for fellowship. Don't care if i match into the lowest tier program in an "undesirable location" as long as I match at the end of the day. I would very much appreciate some recommendations for programs to apply to considering my low step scores, with my main goal being to match. So far, I have applied to my home program, and -

Eastern coast programs
Albany,
downstate
upstate,
Rochester,
stonybrook

Midwest programs
University of Indiana,
University of Tennesse,
Beaumont,
Rutgers JWH,
North dakota university,
minneosota university,
temple university
Wake forest
western reserve in OH
West Virginia University School of Medicine/Camden-Clark Program

southern programs (unsure where else to apply for the south, have heard TX was competitive for non-texans so am avoiding it for now)
St louis (LSU baton rogue)
white river in arkansas
Emory (heard this was super competitive, will likely drop)

western -
MedStar Health/Georgetown University Hospital Program,
several university of california programs (am reconsidering this idea as I've heard cali is very competitive)
George Washington (heard this was competitive so will likely drop this soon)
Drop Emory and U of Wash. It's good you are reconsidering U of California programs.

There are plenty programs in the south (LA, SC, MS, FL etc...) you would be competitive for.

I am going to say that here. I see that Emory and Duke are very popular here, especially among people with low stats. If your step1 is < 240 and you dont have significant research background, dont bother applying to these schools. If you are from a top 20 and you research background is solid, you might have a shot with lower step1 score (230+)

Drop Emory and U of Wash. It's good you are reconsidering U of California programs.

There is plenty program in the south (LA, SC, MS, FL etc...) you would be competitive for.

I am going to say that here. I see that Emory and Duke are very popular here, especially among people with low stats. If your step1 is < 240 and you dont have significant research background, dont bother applying to these schools.
Thank you for the advice! I was considering adding some Florida programs and some more of the Carolinas. Are there any specific ones that come to mind?