Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Lost in Translation @SurgeonOfLife @Lucca @WedgeDawg and others i don't remember right now

I honestly think we should have an SDN Group for manga/anime fans. Seriously, it's so awesome and stress-relieving to have a mini-community and discuss all these things.

We have a Lounge thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused:

Also kinda sad that the other thread got dumped into the Lounge. The one on funny quotes/phrases etc.

What do you mean by existing groups?

And yeah, it was a pretty funny thread, but probably not the best to keep around Pre-Allo :p

I'm sure it wouldn't object to you visiting though ;)

What do you mean by existing groups?

And yeah, it was a pretty funny thread, but probably not the best to keep around Pre-Allo :p

I'm sure it wouldn't object to you visiting though ;)

I got confused about the point of the existing user groups, but apparently i found out it's similar to those Professional Specialty Societies? Kinda undervalued though because i could see a lot more groups opening up with new badges and so.

And is there a way to view the second page in the most posts/most likes page?

I got confused about the point of the existing user groups, but apparently i found out it's similar to those Professional Specialty Societies? Kinda undervalued though because i could see a lot more groups opening up with new badges and so.

And is there a way to view the second page in the most posts/most likes page?

1. Oh yeah those are super specific things and not really social groups

2. Not to my knowledge :(

1. Oh yeah those are super specific things and not really social groups

2. Not to my knowledge :(

:( i guess that's what this thread is about then

That's a shame. It started off in that thread where mimelim, Mad Jack and you were talking about the post/like ratio comparison and I was wondering whether it's possible to create a third column of post/like ratio and sort members out from there. Or at least propose a new trophy system for those with a certain post/like ratio

:( i guess that's what this thread is about then

That's a shame. It started off in that thread where mimelim, Mad Jack and you were talking about the post/like ratio comparison and I was wondering whether it's possible to create a third column of post/like ratio and sort members out from there. Or at least propose a new trophy system for those with a certain post/like ratio

The biggest problem I see with that would be that likes are a relatively recent phenomenon and so many members who've been around for a while might have a lot of posts but relatively low like count.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest problem I see with that would be that likes are a relatively recent phenomenon and so many members who've been around for a while might have a lot of posts but relatively low like count.

We can adjust for it. The like system was put into place sometime around 10/26/13, so all the posts before that are excluded from the overall post tally. It isn't perfect (because members can like old threads/posts before 10/26/13), but it's a good metric.

We can adjust for it. The like system was put into place sometime around 10/26/13, so all the posts before that are excluded from the overall tally. It isn't perfect (because members can like old threads before 10/26/13), but it's a good metric.

Sounds like something to talk to Winged Scapula about ;)

I was gone for a while. What's new here on SDN or with you guys? Me: I'm not in school at the moment, I'm currently pursuing a career in EMS for a bit (med school for sure is still in my agenda).

Reactions: 1 user
@mimelim @mmmcdowe Snoopy bump!

B0azbENIQAE3gcs.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I was gone for a while. What's new here on SDN or with you guys? Me: I'm not in school at the moment, I'm currently pursuing a career in EMS for a bit (med school for sure is still in my agenda).
That's awesome! What got you into EMS, if you're cool sharing?

Awake and got a mile in before work today! Feeling good. Happy hump dayyyyyy

That's awesome! What got you into EMS, if you're cool sharing?
I have been involve in the EMS world for about two years, but I was only a volunteer before. I saw EMS as a stepping stone into medicine. Right now working in the ambulance is my passion, so I want to live life how I want it to be. :)

Last edited:
I have been involve in the EMS world for about two years, but I was only a volunteer before. I saw EMS is a stepping stone into medicine. Right now working in the ambulance is my passion, so I want to live life how I want it to be. :)
Great to hear! Best of luck! :highfive:

I might be wrong- Radiohead

For context, the thread that has been merged in was something to the effect of "What song best describes your undergrad life?"
Beauty and The Beast.
Got married during undergrad and she's way better looking than I deserve.

Thanks, still shot, for showing us Spider-Man before we even clicked play.

Anything else similar that is worth watching? I also watched the documentary on Netflix about fetal surgery. I forgot what it is called. I prefer documentaries or docu-shows.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just finished Doctors' Diaries from PBS two seconds ago. Follows a group of Harvard Med students from med school to 20 yrs later. Depressing

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but Call the Midwife is pretty much my favorite show ever. It's about midwives working in a poor area of London in the 50s/60s. It's more about the social, emotional side of medicine than the scientific side.

NY Med = Boston Med and Hopkins + too much Dr. Oz

I thought about watching that one but I couldn't stand the thought of having to watch Doctor oz....... Is it still good?

Just finished Doctors' Diaries from PBS two seconds ago. Follows a group of Harvard Med students from med school to 20 yrs later. Depressing

Did yu watch on Netflix? I will look for that. Thanks

Omg that was so depressing. The only respite I had was the fact that my dad is a doctor and I could always look at his lifestyle (and mine) and see that he definitely did NOT go south like most of the others. Maybe it's a Cuban thing? If I recall, the only one who turned out normal was Cuban and my dad's Cuban too.

I thought about watching that one but I couldn't stand the thought of having to watch Doctor oz....... Is it still good?

I still enjoy it! Some of the cases are really really interesting, and I do enjoy the occasional nurse drama that they show. Dr. Oz isnt bad on the show, you can actually see why hes such a renowned surgeon. He is spotlighted a little too much for my liking and my general distaste for him and his talk show bleeds over as well.

Hola bromigos, so I'm well into my gap semester and I have like 5 months left until orientation starts. I was mostly lying around on my buttocks and accomplishing nothing (other than a little bit of light research and tutoring to pay the bills) but recently and randomly I came into a whole lotta scratch motha ****ass boo ya! Now I can actually afford to do some badass stuff before med school starts and my life is officially over. Any ideas? I'm down for whatever as long as it's awesome.

I think there's a thread that talks about everyone's plans. For me, I'm heading to Spain for two weeks, flying out to Berlin and doing the Berlin -> Prague -> Vienna -> Budapest route. Maybe doing Croatia and the Adriatic coastline if I have time. If you're interested in longer term travel, now is the time to do it.

EDIT: Found it. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-before-matriculation.1187030/#post-17499444 Lots of cool ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was definitely a fan of the Eurail system (http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes) because you get to really see the area as you travel. When needing to travel farther distances (think across multiple countries), it is a good idea to take a short, cheap flight every now and again instead. But, within countries, or between adjacent countries, I was a fan of Eurail. And hostels. I found I really enjoyed the atmosphere and people overall (of course they are hit and miss, but moreso hit than miss!) If you can find a buddy or two, a road trip across the U. S. (probs to the West coast if you like nature, like the Badlands > Yellowstone/Teton > Glacier > maybe Banff/Jasper in Canada > Washington (Mt. St Helens, Olympic, Seattle in general, Mt. Reinier, etc.) > Oregon (Crater Lake?) > California (Redwoods, Yosemite and other... less "nauture-y" things) > Nevada (VEGAS?) > Arizona (Grand Canyon) > Utah (Zion, Arches) would be an enjoyable loop that could take 2-4 months.