Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hola bromigos, so I'm well into my gap semester and I have like 5 months left until orientation starts. I was mostly lying around on my buttocks and accomplishing nothing (other than a little bit of light research and tutoring to pay the bills) but recently and randomly I came into a whole lotta scratch motha ****ass boo ya! Now I can actually afford to do some badass stuff before med school starts and my life is officially over. Any ideas? I'm down for whatever as long as it's awesome.
Buy an arrival ticket to one country in Europe and a departure ticket from another. I strongly recommend starting in Amsterdam and ending in Budapest. Just buy your first few nights at a hotel or hostel and kind of wing it from there. Buying a rail pass more often than not is not worth it- there are cheap flights through Europe that often actually cost me less than taking the train, so I did a mix of 50/50 flying. If you've got two months, I strongly recommend seeing Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, and Budapest. And if you're down with staying in hostels (it's an adjustment, but I swear it's worth it once you get in the swing of things), I highly recommend the Flying Pig in Amsterdam (Uptown or Downtown), Greg and Tom's in Krakow (preferably on a weekend, weekdays are a bit chill), and Retox in Budapest. If only I were a bit younger, I'd totally go back to those places myself.
retox-party-hostel.jpg

Ah, the Jager train at Retox, second only to the Booze Cruise in its epicness...

Be careful if you hit Spain, Italy, or Greece, as pickpockets and hostel thieves are pretty common- basically everybody gets something stolen traveling through there. Paris is also similarly notorious for pickpockets. Wikitravel is your friend, learn to use it well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've also been to SE Asia and immensely enjoyed my time there. Much more budget friendly than Europe and equally safe. Airfare for me was around 800 and I lived really well on 1k during the month. A lot of fun activities like kayaking, cooking classes, jungle trekking, island hopping etc. the most expensive thing I did was visit Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai Thailand and it was only 70 dollars to play with, feed and bathe the elephants. Great experience that helps a great cause.

Reactions: 1 users
Buy a round trip ticket to Chicago. Buy a ticket to Bali out of Chicago. Spend a day layover in Shanghai. Rent 5 bedroom villa right on lovina beach. Spend the week on tours to Ubud, temple tours, waterfall jumping, elephant riding, baby turtle releasing and getting drunk on a beach.

Fly back to Chicago and spend the day layover you have exploring the city and stuffing your face with deep dish.
Go home and die the next day because you have to play flag football at 9am.

Oh wait. That's what my vacation is.... 11 days until I do that! Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Buy a round trip ticket to Chicago. Buy a ticket to Bali out of Chicago. Spend a day layover in Shanghai. Rent 5 bedroom villa right on lovina beach. Spend the week on tours to Ubud, temple tours, waterfall jumping, elephant riding, baby turtle releasing and getting drunk on a beach.

Fly back to Chicago and spend the day layover you have exploring the city and stuffing your face with deep dish.
Go home and die the next day because you have to play flag football at 9am.

Oh wait. That's what my vacation is.... 11 days until I do that! Lol
Enjoy yourself...sounds like a great time...but please don't ride the elephants. :(

Buy an arrival ticket to one country in Europe and a departure ticket from another. I strongly recommend starting in Amsterdam and ending in Budapest. Just buy your first few nights at a hotel or hostel and kind of wing it from there. Buying a rail pass more often than not is not worth it- there are cheap flights through Europe that often actually cost me less than taking the train, so I did a mix of 50/50 flying. If you've got two months, I strongly recommend seeing Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, and Budapest. And if you're down with staying in hostels (it's an adjustment, but I swear it's worth it once you get in the swing of things), I highly recommend the Flying Pig in Amsterdam (Uptown or Downtown), Greg and Tom's in Krakow (preferably on a weekend, weekdays are a bit chill), and Retox in Budapest. If only I were a bit younger, I'd totally go back to those places myself.
retox-party-hostel.jpg

Ah, the Jager train at Retox, second only to the Booze Cruise in its epicness...

Be careful if you hit Spain, Italy, or Greece, as pickpockets and hostel thieves are pretty common- basically everybody gets something stolen traveling through there. Paris is also similarly notorious for pickpockets. Wikitravel is your friend, learn to use it well.
Hmm exotic locations with loose laws and a high possibility of danger. Yep, that might do it.

I've had a particularly crappy Monday morning.

I had a take home Philosophy midterm for arguably my favorite class I've ever taken in UG. Finished it up around 2AM and tried to sleep but was kept awake a terrible cough when I would lay down. I finally get to bed around ~4AM.

I wake up and it's 10:27AM, and my hardcopy midterm was due at 9:30AM in class. I slept through my 7:50 and 8:15 alarms. I frantically email the professor with the attachment as I explain that I overslept. I try printing it from my roommates printer in a frenzy but am greeted by "Black Ink Out - Replace Now" sign. I don't have time to brush my teeth or put contacts in. I run halfway down the road in the rain with no coat to where my car is parked and speed to campus. Once I pick up campus wifi, I email the midterm to my PI whose office is right next to Philosophy class and ask to use his printer. He accepts of course.

Wait outside class for 2 minutes until it lets out. Walk in completely disheveled and still out of breath from running to the classroom.

Greeted by philo professor: "it's due at 2:00pm..."
+pissed+

How's your Monday going?

Haven't been here in a while, I've mainly been over on r/mcat. Just thought I'd check in

Members don't see this ad :)
Hola bromigos, so I'm well into my gap semester and I have like 5 months left until orientation starts. I was mostly lying around on my buttocks and accomplishing nothing (other than a little bit of light research and tutoring to pay the bills) but recently and randomly I came into a whole lotta scratch motha ****ass boo ya! Now I can actually afford to do some badass stuff before med school starts and my life is officially over. Any ideas? I'm down for whatever as long as it's awesome.

Join me and race a 1995 Volvo in the 24 Hours of LeMons.

Reactions: 1 user
**** son I need to join a LeMons or ChumpCar team...

Michigan St winning men's, uconn winning women's. You?
Virginia winning the men's tourney with Miami, Oregon, and West Virginia as the other teams in the Final Four -so obviously, these teams will be eliminated in the first couple of rounds :laugh:

I haven't done a women's bracket. I'll fill one out in the next 24 hours.

"Last night, I had a dream I performed a Spinal Osteomyelitis & now I don't know what to do with myself"
----"Pre-med" I graduated high school with, tweet

Why can't SDN have it's own chat room?

Gonna try something extremely risky....

@allantois flying @WedgeDawg bump!!!

eaef8390c77d013346a4005056a9545d

And....

@Lost in Translation Attack on Titans Trump bump!

l41RYLy.jpg

Text:

“Trump is going to build a wall around Mexico… and destroy the walls around Asia,” while the politicians in the bottom corner discuss:

“It’d be pretty bad if he actually becomes president, right?”
“Nah, the Titans of Asia will protect us.”

Wuts goin on in dis hur thread...

@EverStriving @J Senpai psychology inquiry needed on this thing... bump

tumblr_o425auJCy11qkvbwso1_r1_500.gif

Question: is this also an example of gestalt psychology? (no, this isn't a HW question, just curious :p)

Yes, this is a demonstration of multistable perception, a principle in gestalt psychology. :bookworm:

Wuts goin on in dis hur thread...

Yes, this is a demonstration of multistable perception, a principle in gestalt psychology. :bookworm:
Concur with my psych credentialed colleague who beat me to it. Had to look this up since my education in perception is limited to physiology, and not specific theories of perception.

Also, I appear to have appropriated a "Goroism" haha!

Concur with my psych credentialed colleague who beat me to it. Had to look this up since my education in perception is limited to physiology, and not specific theories of perception.

Also, I appear to have appropriated a "Goroism" haha!

Goro does seem to be quite apt at subtle mind control.... :android:

Also, I'm bored and need a break from working on app stuff. Anyone have any suggestions for fun things to do?

Pick a non-chain restaurant in your area you've never been to and go.

ever since joining SDN the only ads I see are for Caribbean medical schools

What's up SDN! I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Just curious as to what everyone's experience was like in ochem? I am currently in the second semester sequence. All of my tests are free response with no multiple choice. Also are synthesis and mechanisms problems are self drawn. We are only given the starting structure and the ending structure. Is this typical? I actually like ochem, I thought I would be toast cause I heard that you had to have amazingly strong spatial skills but I'm doing okay, so maybe I'm just better at that now :laugh:

Just want to hear some of your thoughts, what better way to spend a Saturday night than on SDN:naughty:

The reason why ochem gets a bad rep is:

-Unlike Bio, you can't memorize your way through it. Unlike physics, you can't avoid having to recall little facts (i.e. reagents and other rules)
-PROCRASTINATION IS LETHEL, it's hard enough to go through the material. But you'll have to recall facts, and apply those facts to solve the problem. This requires memorization, understanding, application, and development of problem solving skills. This is the core reason why ochem in particular gets a bad rep. It requires multiple skills to a significant level (not the itty bitty problem solving in bio or the itty bitty memorization in physics)

Just finished watching the Batman v Superman movie so I ain't doing anything else special tonight. Your ochem class sounds similar to mine. I enjoyed my basic ochem classes. It wasn't until I took a graduate level advanced organic synthesis course that I learned that while I like ochem I am not an organic chemist lol.

Reactions: 2 users
When I took organic originally it was a mix of 50/50 multiple choice and write out. With that said most of the multiple choice could not be done without some writing or drawing.

-Unlike Bio, you can't memorize your way through it. Unlike physics, you can't avoid having to recall little facts (i.e. reagents and other rules)
-PROCRASTINATION IS LETHEL, it's hard enough to go through the material. But you'll have to recall facts, and apply those facts to solve the problem. This requires memorization, understanding, application, and development of problem solving skills. This is the core reason why ochem in particular gets a bad rep. It requires multiple skills to a significant level (not the itty bitty problem solving in bio or the itty bitty memorization in physics)
I agree so much! I waited until the weekend before for the first exam and got recked. Afterwards I started doing problems as I went and I got a mid A and then an A+ on the following 2 exams. I messed up on the final because I got stressed out but this semester is good so far!

Just finished watching the Batman v Superman movie so I ain't doing anything else special tonight. Your ochem class sounds similar to mine. I enjoyed my basic ochem classes. It wasn't until I took a graduate level advanced organic synthesis course that I learned that while I like ochem I am not an organic chemist lol.
I just watched that yesterday!! How did you like it? I don't know why the critics keep bashing it, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable! Yeah I think I'm in the same boat as you haha.

When I took organic originally it was a mix of 50/50 multiple choice and write out. With that said most of the multiple choice could not be done without some writing or drawing.
That seems like a good class. I've heard of multiple choice exams that make ochem way easier!

I just watched that yesterday!! How did you like it? I don't know why the critics keep bashing it, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable! Yeah I think I'm in the same boat as you haha.

I won't derail your thread too much but it was an awesome movie. Screw the critics lol.

Haha this is more of a social thread than anything! I am a higher comic book geek but I think even the casual moviegoer would enjoy it. What do you think, and any part of the movie you didn't like?

I recommend playing video games! @WedgeDawg is interested about the new Pokemon Sun/Moon coming out soon

Ah but which ones? I'm bored of all my current games, and the recent ones I've seen have seemed kind of meh. I've had to resort to agar.io...

Haha this is more of a social thread than anything! I am a higher comic book geek but I think even the casual moviegoer would enjoy it. What do you think, and any part of the movie you didn't like?

Some of the romance seemed a bit cheesy, I didn't understand how that newspaper had so much money. There were parts that I felt were foreshadowing the next films (dream about the future, flash? traveling back in time) that were a bit confusing the way the movie was filmed. But can't say I have too many complaints - I enjoy these darker comic movies now that the technology has caught up enough to make them legit.

Its actually possible to cram ochem in the last day and still crush difficult exams. It just requires problem solving using key concepts. Good textbooks are crucial here, which is why Wade's Organic Chemistry and Klein's Ochem as Second Language books are so valuable