*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is submitting by May 31st considered late? or is it still relatively early?
U4M6m6d.png

d59AHs3.png

r5bEJe9.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I am still struggling to squeeze the most out of the 300 character limits and optimizing the importance of information included. For example, when shadowing doctors or writing about medical activities, nearly 2/3 of the limit are used just describing the nature of the activity. From there, I am left considering whether to finish describing the activity, or get more specific about the type of procedures seen, or write about what I took away from it. I encounter similar scenarios when describing research. I think that this is a decent ratio of description to meaningful takeaway, but I wanted to see if anybody had thoughts to share.

Does anyone have any tips about what they think its best to emphasize?

I am still struggling to squeeze the most out of the 300 character limits and optimizing the importance of information included. For example, when shadowing doctors or writing about medical activities, nearly 2/3 of the limit are used just describing the nature of the activity. From there, I am left considering whether to finish describing the activity, or get more specific about the type of procedures seen, or write about what I took away from it. I encounter similar scenarios when describing research. I think that this is a decent ratio of description to meaningful takeaway, but I wanted to see if anybody had thoughts to share.

Does anyone have any tips about what they think its best to emphasize?

It's certainly challenging. The AMCAS app gives you way more room. I basically followed a 2 sentence format for mine. One sentence description. One sentence reflection. For some activities that was pretty hard since I felt they needed a little more explication so they got less reflection. I tried to let activities that could speak for themselves do so and gave them more reflection (activities for which the title basically explains the activity, e.g. Spanish interpreter).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS applicant (attended undergrad in TX) and am thinking about applying to Texas schools. However I will also be applying to ~35 other MD schools through AMCAS. Do you think this will hurt me since Adcoms will see the entire list of other schools I'll be applying to?

I'm an OOS applicant (attended undergrad in TX) and am thinking about applying to Texas schools. However I will also be applying to ~35 other MD schools through AMCAS. Do you think this will hurt me since Adcoms will see the entire list of other schools I'll be applying to?
You’re not obligated to disclose your entire school list

The Disciplinary Actions section on TMDSAS reads the following:
  • Has your education or vocation ever been interrupted for any reason?
  • Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or professional school for unacceptable academic performance (i.e. academic probation, suspension, dismissal, etc.)?
  • Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or professional school for conduct violations?
  • Have you ever been sanctioned or received disciplinary action by a State Licensure Board of any kind (e.g. nursing, pharmacy, legal, etc.)?
None of these specify general institutional actions such as for academic integrity. I wrote my optional essay about my IA 6 years ago, but was wondering if I should disclose it here--I guess under the conduct violations, although it is not a conduct violation. I would rather not, since I don't want my optional essay (which is very strong) to have any overlap, but I do want to follow the TMDSAS guidelines to the letter. Anyway, it doesn't seem like it would fit under any of these, and I feel like I am still playing it safe by disclosing at length it in an essay.

Is it acceptable to use abbreviations like ED for emergency department in the description box for the activities section?

Yes. Using common abbreviations because of the character count is fine. I have used gov't, ED, etc in mine...

Hello, I have already submitted my app but realized that I omitted my pre-matriculation credits, and have a few questions about how to proceed. In the handbook, it says "AP credit will only be accepted if it is broken down on your transcript. It will not be accepted by TMDSAS if it is listed as a lump sum by your institution!" The image below shows how it appears on my transcript:
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.24.25 PM.png

So, does this count as a lump sum? In which case I don't need to report it at all? It is listed at the end of the transcript, not up front or under any semester. Secondly, none of it is actually AP credit - I have one IB test and three credits by exam, therefore do the AP rules apply? I doubt this is something I would get in trouble for not reporting since the instructions are unclear and it's an honest mistake, but I don't want to get held up in processing. Thanks!

By what date is it considered to have secondaries in early? TMDSAS says they should be complete at the same time as primaries. What.

Members don't see this ad :)
By what date is it considered to have secondaries in early? TMDSAS says they should be complete at the same time as primaries. What.
Just work on them steadily as they are available. The schools that “don’t screen” you can do them right away. Try to get them done within 2-3 weeks so you can be complete and ready to be reviewed for a possible interview

how long did it take for y'all's letters to be transmitted from interfolio to TMDSAS?

Mine was received within 1 week. I sent the request on May 30th and TMDSAS updated on June 4th.

However, one of my transcripts that I requested to be sent in the first week of May still shows up as "Not Received" while other documents (transcripts, etc.) sent around this time and afterward have long-been updated and show up as received.

I stopped by the school today to make sure that the transcripts were sent (I had requested another one to be sent late May) and they confirmed to me the days they sent them out. I called TMDSAS but they told me they cannot answer any questions regarding documents at this time. I'm afraid it got lost in the process.

Anyone else have this issue?

UPDATE: They found my transcripts and it's updated now. It was my fault... I had put the wrong TMDSAS ID on the transcript request form :/

Last edited:
Mine was received within 1 week. I sent the request on May 30th and TMDSAS updated on June 4th.

However, one of my transcripts that I requested to be sent in the first week of May still shows up as "Not Received" while other documents (transcripts, etc.) sent around this time and afterward have long-been updated and show up as received.

I stopped by the school today to make sure that the transcripts were sent (I had requested another one to be sent late May) and they confirmed to me the days they sent them out. I called TMDSAS but they told me they cannot answer any questions regarding documents at this time. I'm afraid it got lost in the process.

Anyone else have this issue?

I’m basically in the same boat as you. Letters in, transcripts not received but definitely sent. These are probably being processed by different desks I guess???

I have about a million questions, but I'll stick with two:

I've seen in past years that interviews start popping up late June. Is that the norm?

One of my app sites says some of my transcripts are still missing, even though they arrived at TMDSAS a while ago. Should I wait and see if they just need to do a pull, or should I contact them? I have that overly neurotic fear of being annoying to an admissions department.

I have about a million questions, but I'll stick with two:

I've seen in past years that interviews start popping up late June. Is that the norm?

One of my app sites says some of my transcripts are still missing, even though they arrived at TMDSAS a while ago. Should I wait and see if they just need to do a pull, or should I contact them? I have that overly neurotic fear of being annoying to an admissions department.
You might follow TMDSAS Support on Twitter as well - @TMDSASSupport - every day they tweet what day's applications and what day's mail they are working on. Today they said working on applications submitted on 5/29 and mail from 6/1.

How much difference do you guys think a June 16 vs June 30 MCAT would make?

I have my scheduled for June 16, but I don't fee ready.

if you are not ready do not take it

Depends on what you mean by not ready. Have you taken practice tests? How are you doing on them?

If you’re not ready you shouldn’t take the exam.

Can anyone read over my personal characteristics essay and give me some feedback? Thank you.

Odd question, but does anyone know if med schools in TX favor applicants that went to their UG such as tech, ut, or a&m?

n=1 Likely not because I met an applicant who graduated from A&M who got UTSW II very early and prematched there, but got II at A&M for last day of interview of the cycle and was waitlisted.

I received an email from virtual Evals that they sent my committee packet to TMDSAS on June 4th. AAMCAS marked it received the next day but TMDSAS has not, as of today. What’s the normal wait time for this? I’m complete on everything except this.

I received an email from virtual Evals that they sent my committee packet to TMDSAS on June 4th. AAMCAS marked it received the next day but TMDSAS has not, as of today. What’s the normal wait time for this? I’m complete on everything except this.
I’m in the same situation with TMDSAS.

When I had a problem with TMDSAS, I called them. They were super friendly and the problem was fixed within hours. Try that, you two.

Anyone having a problem with transcripts? I ordered mine from a cc on the 5th, choose one day shipping and they still have not been received.

Anyone having a problem with transcripts? I ordered mine from a cc on the 5th, choose one day shipping and they still have not been received.
@thegrind33 You might follow TMDSAS Support on Twitter - @TMDSASSupport - every day they tweet what day's applications and what day's mail they are working on. Takes a few days for them to open their bins of mail and enter them into the system.

@thegrind33 You might follow TMDSAS Support on Twitter - @TMDSASSupport - every day they tweet what day's applications and what day's mail they are working on. Takes a few days for them to open their bins of mail and enter them into the system.
I am following their tweets but their date of processing mail has passed my date from Virtual Evals up. I just emailed and I will update if I get a response.

When I emailed I got a stock response. When I called and said "Hey, I have a unique situation that might be causing you to not know that these are my transcripts," they found my transcripts immediately. I hate calling people, too, but give it a try.

Reactions: 1 users
I am following their tweets but their date of processing mail has passed my date from Virtual Evals up. I just emailed and I will update if I get a response.
Wow, they emailed back quickly. Basically said that Virtual Evals is not an automatic process and these documents are manually reviewed and uploaded and this could take up to a couple weeks. They suggest to wait until the 2 week mark to call in.

For the activities and everything, I know people suggest not to list activities that were done before college, but does this include activities that were started before college and continued throughout college (i.e. volunteering that started in high school and was continued after graduation)? Would it be acceptable to list the starting date as when you actually started (i.e. high school) or should it be listed at the beginning of college? Thanks so much!

For anyone who submitted a committee packet that included dentist/ doctor letter: did it take longer for that letter status to change to received than it took for the status of the packet to change?

I have a question on letters of recommendation: I have 3 letters from professors (2 science and 1 non-science), 1 letter from a physician/employer which I believe will be very strong, and 1 health committee letter from my non-Texas college (not a packet so it will not include any of my other letters). My understanding is that a maximum of 4 can be uploaded to TMDSAS. Would it be a red flag if I do not include my health committee letter? Or, can additional letters be individually mailed to each school?

I submitted my application June 18th, do you guys think it will be verified by the end of the month?

Weren't the people that submitted June 7th barely verified yesterday or something like that?
Well I’m a dental applicant so it could be different for med.. but for dental, people who were verified today look to have submitted their app on or around the 16th.

Well I’m a dental applicant so it could be different for med.. but for dental, people who were verified today look to have submitted their app on or around the 16th.
Oops I thought I was on the AADSAS thread, my bad. I submitted my TMDSAS app back at the end of May and it took only 6 days to verify so the process has definitely slowed down since then.

submitted: 6/12/2018
verified: 6/26/2018
goodluck to everyone!

Do you guys think I will be verified before July 4th? I submitted June 18th
follow @TMDSASSupport on Twitter - today they say they are working on applications submitted on 6/12 and processing mail received on 6/22.
Maybe another 7-10 days for you. Enjoy the holiday!

I submitted my application on June2nd, but had issues with my letter writers as one of them forgot to sign. Signed letter got uploaded 3days ago.Everything else including my secondaries are done. When can I expect it to be processed? Is it going to be a late application?

I submitted my application on June2nd, but had issues with my letter writers as one of them forgot to sign. Signed letter got uploaded 3days ago.Everything else including my secondaries are done. When can I expect it to be processed? Is it going to be a late application?
I think it should have been processed already since they are already working on applications submitted on 6/12.