*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Post was originally found scrawled on a wall in the Alamo.

Please post any questions relating to the TMDSAS Application here.

2015-2016 Thread Link
2016-2017 Thread
2017-2018 Thread

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!
Please remember that each thread has a search function in the header labeled "Search this Thread". Please use it to avoid repeating questions.

Please use the TMDSAS Application site as your first resource for questions. The website has a list of FAQ's and plenty of other information.

TMDSAS

TMDSAS Activities FAQ:

Available categories
(TMDSAS Medical: Section Overview)
ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
NON-ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
LEADERSHIP
EMPLOYMENT
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
HEALTHCARE ACTIVITIES
COMMUNITY SERVICE
EXTRACURRICULAR & LEISURE ACTIVITIES
PLANNED ACTIVITIES

1) Should I write descriptions in narrative or bullet form?
They say either list or paragraph is fine. But as far as formatting goes in TMDSAS activity section, you will see that when you hit save, the listed items are strung together one after another (instead of each in separate lines). Many write in paragraphs because of this formatting issue to make it more readable. Be cautious if you want to use bullets (or hyphens in their place).

2) If there's a significant non-medical volunteer experience I did back in High School for 4 years, can I include it on my application?
Some don't think your application should include activities that occurred before your college freshman year. Maybe bring it up in a "why do you want to be a doctor," Secondary, or interview.

3) Should I list all my shadowing together?
Yes, but if it doesn’t fit gracefully into the 300 space limit, list the experiences separately.

4) If I had multiple leadership positions within an organization, do I list them separately on the TMDSAS? (ex: entry 1- VP of Org X, then separate entry 2 for Pres of Org X)
Yes, as long as each leadership role required uniquely different components.

5) For an award that I have received multiple times (Dean's List) should I list it every time I earned it since it shows up on my transcript as well multiple times?
Put it once and say earned x number of times, or list separately.

6) Where do you put publications, under Research Experiences? Do you just paste the citation into the description?
You could just put the citation but if you can fit in a short description about what you did, include that.

7) What if I have multiple publications?
If possible, put multiple publications under one entry for research with a 1 for the hours. As 300 chars aren’t enough for full citations one can abbreviate which author spot, the journal, and the year published (TMDSAS was called and the lady mentioned this would be fine).

8) My research lab is working on a publication for the next school year. I have the citation, so should I put this in the "planned activities" section?
The perfect place to put this.

9) If I have a recurring volunteer experience that happens every winter break for the past 4 winter breaks, should I separate them into four entries or just clump them into one entry? If I clump them into one entry, do I just put down the dates for one and the total hours for one? Or do I put down total hours over 4 winters for cumulative?
You could do either, one would probably put it in one, combine the hours, and mention how this was done every winter break as well as information about it (if you can fit it).

10) I already put under my medical volunteering section that I plan to continue a volunteer activity indefinitely, but should I also put it in again under future activities?
Treat each section as a stand-alone section. An interviewer should be able to look at the Planned Activities section and know everything you are going participate in during the foreseeable future. One person calling TMDSAS reported they said, "For the planned activity you should enter the start date as today and it should be up to the date of med school matriculation."

11) I understand that for the PLANNED ACTIVITIES section, it's okay to list all of your continued activities even if you previously indicated in another section that they would run until May 2015 or whatever. Because each activity may fit the criteria for different categories (ex. community service AND leadership), which category would I select for that activity in the planned activities section? Do I make two nearly identical planned activities (one labeled community service and the other labeled leadership), or do I simply choose the most appropriate category?
List it under the most appropriate category, but write the description in such a way that the reader would infer it falls under both. It shouldn’t be a problem if you list it twice though.

12) For the optional essays, is it better to fill out one versus not filling any of them out? I have a unique experience of being chosen to go to Washington DC for a conference as the only student from Texas attending. However, I read that essay is only for hardships and things of that nature. Is that true, or is my idea fine for that essay?
Definitely write the essay as you're thinking. It's always a good idea to write the essays in the first place, especially considering that several TX schools have no Secondaries. Take every chance you're given to sell yourself. As for your specific idea, this is an opinion: don't read any subtext into the prompt. It asks for "unique circumstances or life experiences" that would provide the schools with a "broader picture of who you are". Your idea sounds like it fits the bill.

13) If the date range for a particular activity spans into the future, do they want us to list completed hours + projected hours under Total Cumulative Hours or do we just list the hours we have completed thus far? For example:

Date Range: September 2013-June 2015
September 2013-Present: 100 hours completed
Present-June 2015: 100 hours projected

Total Cumulative Hours = 200 or 100

TMDSAS, when called, said if the date range spans into the future, one should include projected hours in the Total Cumulative Hours.

14) After I typed up all my activities, I created the chronology of activities. It is all correct, but the description was cut off due to 50 characters limit. Do we need to fix this in the chronology of activities itself or is this ok?
TMDSAS was called and they said to leave it truncated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMDSAS General FAQ

1) Can I add more schools after I submit? Yes, but not via the application - you have to send an email to TMDSAS or go through the application's internal messaging system. The request must be received by the application deadline. Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and list the schools you would like added to your application. This can be done anytime until September 30th. (further reading: TMDSAS - FAQ - Changing Your Application)

2) Can I change a letter writer if necessary? Yes, you can change your letter writer. Per TMDSAS website:

"We understand that evaluators may change. You MUST update TMDSAS of an evaluator change immediately.

Once you have secured a different evaluator, please notify TMDSAS of the new evaluator. To make this change, email [email protected] . Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and the name of the evaluator that needs to be removed. Provide the following information for the evaluator that should be added:

Salutation (i.e. Dr, Prof, Mr, Mrs, etc.)
First name of Evaluator
Last name of Evaluator
Suffix (i.e. MD, PhD, etc.)
Relationship to you (Academic Advisor, HP Advisor, Professor, Business Associate, Work/Volunteer Supervisor, Other)
Letter delivery method (upload directly to TMDAS or through Interfolio)
Email address of evaluator if he/she will upload directly to TMDSAS"

3) How accurately does the "what schools on AMCAS are you applying to?" have to be on the TMDSAS? Not very, but be aware that interviewers can see your list.

4) What are "minor traffic violations"?

Minor traffic violations are those offenses not subject to a jail sentence. Types of minor traffic violations include speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, illegal parking, failure to stop, driving with an expired or invalid driver license that has not been suspended or revoked, and disobeying traffic lights signs or signals.

Examples of violations of law not considered minor traffic violations are: driving while intoxicated (DWI), driving under the influence (DUI), driving while license is suspended (DWLS), failure to appear (FTA), reckless driving, open container, and assault with a motor vehicle. These types of violations must be reported on your application.

5) Can you explain the Texas acceptance/match setup? TMDSAS opens in early May. Texas schools begin offering interviews in late June to early August (it varies). Interviews are handed out until around November or maybe December. No in-state acceptances are offered until November 15th, which is the beginning of the "pre-match period" that continues until December 31st. At this time, admissions are rolling. Applicants are permitted to hold as many prematch offers as they receive and continue interviewing elsewhere if you have more interviews lined up, but are encouraged to withdraw from any school they are sure they don't want to attend. You are permitted to keep all of these offers until the match. By a day in January (the 21st I think?) you are required to rank all schools you've interviewed at (they appear in a window on TMDSAS) in order of preference. On February 1st, a computer automatically matches candidates to their highest ranked school that gave them an acceptance, and auto-withdraws them from lower ranked schools, according to an algorithm. If you were holding multiple offers, you are thus withdrawn from schools you ranked lower. If you didn't have an offer, you have a chance to match to a school that didn't offer you yet. Interviewees who didn't match are put on waitlists if deemed "acceptable", and may or may not be told their position on the waitlist. After this point, based on any further movement of the classes (particularly from students withdrawing after picking up an OOS acceptance) acceptances are once again given out on a rolling basis. You can technically still pick up an acceptance until classes begin in late August (early September?), but it's considered rare for this to happen after May 15th.

If you do receive a match on Match Day, you cannot be pulled off the waitlist at any TMDSAS school past June 1. Only students who did not match anywhere can still be accepted after that date.

6) How do I enter in a zero credit class (or a W or an Audit)? TMDSAS won't let me enter 0 for credit hours. The 0 credit hour courses do not affect GPA whatsoever, so just leave them out, even though they show up on your transcript. Alternatively, if you enter a 1, TMDSAS will correct them when they verify your official transcript.

7) Is Pre-Calculus included in the BCMP GPA? Even though all math other than Calculus and Statistics are categorized as Other Science, it is still included in the BCPM GPA, per a call by gonnif to TMDSAS.

If you have FAQ's you would like posted, feel free to send me a PM with the question and answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there any benefit to applying early without an MCAT score?

I know that there are official dates that AMCAS sends applications in 'batches' to the schools. Does TMDSAS have a first batch date that leaves in May? Or, do they not get batched together at all? I've heard there's no official statement from TMDSAS on this.

This could be a variable for some people that are trying to meet the 'unofficial' early deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.tmdsas.com/Forms/EY2017 Application Submission Data.pdf

I am assuming these statistics are for TMDSAS submission and not secondary application submission? Also, last year it took TMDSAS almost a month to transmit my primary to all the schools after which I started to receive my secondary applications. Is it possible to submit your secondary applications in May as well. And how bad does lack of any Academic/Non-Academic recognition and lack of leadership and research activities look?

https://www.tmdsas.com/Forms/EY2017 Application Submission Data.pdf

I am assuming these statistics are for TMDSAS submission and not secondary application submission? Also, last year it took TMDSAS almost a month to transmit my primary to all the schools after which I started to receive my secondary applications. Is it possible to submit your secondary applications in May as well. And how bad does lack of any Academic/Non-Academic recognition and lack of leadership and research activities look?

yes those are for the primary application. you cant submit secondaries until a school sends them to you which depends on the school. Not all schools have secondary applications.

Last edited:
How does receiving multiple undergraduate scholarships look on TMDAS application/AMCAS. Will they give me less financial aid? Will this be a disadvantage or advantage? I'm just curious what others think.

I know that MD/PhD programs use AMCAS, but do I list the OOS schools I plan to apply to for MD/PhD under "Non-TMDSAS" schools? Most don't include an option to be considered for both MD and MD/PhD, so I will likely only apply OOS for just MD/PhD.

I am assuming these statistics are for TMDSAS submission and not secondary application submission? Also, last year it took TMDSAS almost a month to transmit my primary to all the schools after which I started to receive my secondary applications. Is it possible to submit your secondary applications in May as well.

It's my impression that you do not have to wait to be invited to fill out TAMU or Baylor's secondaries. Can anyone else confirm?

Here is a chart I made last year with basic information. The figures are 2017 numbers.

For 2018-2019 cycle I have heard that McGovern med will have a secondary application, but I don't know if it will be for everyone or offered after an initial screening.

Attachments

• Briefer fact chart Texas Med Schools 2017-18 .pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: 3 users
Do you have to resend your transcripts and MCAT score if you are a reapplicant and haven't taken any new courses and MCAT or do they carry over?

Do you have to resend your transcripts and MCAT score if you are a reapplicant and haven't taken any new courses and MCAT or do they carry over?

Some parts of your application will re-populate on the TMDSAS form. Sign in using your same username and password as last application cycle. DO be sure to check that the information is still correct as you save each page (maybe you moved, etc.).

Download or print out the new TMDSAS instruction book too.

To answer your specific question, this is from the TMDSAS site:
Re-applicants
If you have registered for an account or if you applied since 2010, it is not necessary to go through the registration process again. You will sign in to TMDSAS using the same email address and password that you used for the previous application.

The majority of the information entered into the previous year’s application will “roll-over” to the current application for your review. For these sections, you MUST still go to each section, review the information displayed, make corrections where necessary, and then SAVE the page.

Information entered in the following sections will NOT roll-over: Select Schools, Demographic, Family Info, Financial, Essays, Letters of Evaluation, Proof of Residency, Planned Enrollment, Chronology of Activities and Certification Statement. These sections will need to be completed again. After you have saved each section of the application, go to the Certification and Payment sections to complete your application.

You must also re-send your transcripts, letters of evaluation, MCAT scores, and pay a new application fee. It is recommended that you do not send the same letters from the last application cycle. Letters of evaluation should be updated or come from new evaluators.

Reactions: 1 user
For TMDAS is there a section to put memberships and/or certifications that are medically related?

Some parts of your application will re-populate on the TMDSAS form. Sign in using your same username and password as last application cycle. DO be sure to check that the information is still correct as you save each page (maybe you moved, etc.).

Download or print out the new TMDSAS instruction book too.

To answer your specific question, this is from the TMDSAS site:
Re-applicants
If you have registered for an account or if you applied since 2010, it is not necessary to go through the registration process again. You will sign in to TMDSAS using the same email address and password that you used for the previous application.

The majority of the information entered into the previous year’s application will “roll-over” to the current application for your review. For these sections, you MUST still go to each section, review the information displayed, make corrections where necessary, and then SAVE the page.

Information entered in the following sections will NOT roll-over: Select Schools, Demographic, Family Info, Financial, Essays, Letters of Evaluation, Proof of Residency, Planned Enrollment, Chronology of Activities and Certification Statement. These sections will need to be completed again. After you have saved each section of the application, go to the Certification and Payment sections to complete your application.

You must also re-send your transcripts, letters of evaluation, MCAT scores, and pay a new application fee. It is recommended that you do not send the same letters from the last application cycle. Letters of evaluation should be updated or come from new evaluators.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does receiving multiple undergraduate scholarships look on TMDAS application/AMCAS. Will they give me less financial aid? Will this be a disadvantage or advantage? I'm just curious what others think.

Most financial aid awarded is pretty disappointing. You're typically "awarded" a $40,000 federal direct unsubsidized loan at 6% interest. This is guaranteed for all graduate/professional students. If you need to take out additional loans, you can be awarded PLUS loans at a slightly higher rate but there is a credit verification for these (or you can have a cosigner). You can also take out private loans instead typically on even less favorable terms and with less flexibility for repayment in residency. All this being said, the federal direct loan is typically your best option for paying for medical school apart from family contributions, gifts, savings, and frugality to minimize costs in medical school.

To answer your question about undergraduate scholarships affecting your aid in medical school, there will be no negative effect. There is a balancing act in undergraduate awards based on expected family contribution, previous scholarships, and income that affect your financial aid award, but you are guaranteed your federal direct unsubsidized loans for medical school.

Take a look at the AAMC Financial Aid Page for more details. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I was in a 5 year engineering program. When entering coursework, the drop down menu with the relevant selections for undergrad are Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior.

Is it okay to classify both my 4th and 5th year as Senior years?

I was in a 5 year engineering program. When entering coursework, the drop down menu with the relevant selections for undergrad are Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior.

Is it okay to classify both my 4th and 5th year as Senior years?

Yes. They'll correct any honest mistakes anyway but you're filling it out correctly.

When adding terms to a school, it gives me the options of summer, summer 1, or summer 2. My school technically has a bunch of different summer terms (5wk1, 5wk2, 8wk, etc) but my transcripts simply list the classes and grades as summer. Is it fine to simply select summer and enter the courses together for this section?

When sending the LOR requests without a committee packet. Here is what it says,"
Indicate how your evaluator will send your letter to TMDSAS (Note: if you’re not sure, select ‘Upload Directly.’)" If I sent the email does this mean they will upload it or will I actually be uploading it to my account? I do not want to upload it to my application as this will not look good.

Anyone willing to look over my essays?

When sending the LOR requests without a committee packet. Here is what it says,"
Indicate how your evaluator will send your letter to TMDSAS (Note: if you’re not sure, select ‘Upload Directly.’)" If I sent the email does this mean they will upload it or will I actually be uploading it to my account? I do not want to upload it to my application as this will not look good.
They will send an email to your letter writers with a link for them to do their own uploading.

I know that MD/PhD programs use AMCAS, but do I list the OOS schools I plan to apply to for MD/PhD under "Non-TMDSAS" schools? Most don't include an option to be considered for both MD and MD/PhD, so I will likely only apply OOS for just MD/PhD.

Yes, you list those schools

What course area is Biochemistry supposed to be? I put it down under "BioBxC" or Bio Chem-Bio Dept, which is also what I used for my upper level biology courses

What course area is Biochemistry supposed to be? I put it down under "BioBxC" or Bio Chem-Bio Dept, which is also what I used for my upper level biology courses
There's a resource on TMDSAS page called "Prescribed Course Listings" by university. Select your college from the alphabetical array on this page and it will helpfully show you, for each course number, what category it belongs in
TMDSAS Course Listings

There's a resource on TMDSAS page called "Prescribed Course Listings" by university. Select your college from the alphabetical array on this page and it will helpfully show you, for each course number, what category it belongs in
TMDSAS Course Listings
It doesn't look like any of the options in the drop-down menu for course area on TMDSAS say "Biochemistry", though. I see Bio Chem - Bio Dept, Bio Chem - Chem Dept, BioLec, BioLab, etc. NonSci, Other Science, but no Biochemistry

It doesn't look like any of the options in the drop-down menu for course area on TMDSAS say "Biochemistry", though. I see Bio Chem - Bio Dept, Bio Chem - Chem Dept, BioLec, BioLab, etc. NonSci, Other Science, but no Biochemistry

I had the same issue. I listed mine under Bio Chem - Chem Dept, since I already had a ton of bio credits from other classes. I think TMDSAS will correct it if they want it elsewhere.

I looked at the link but my university is not listed.

Anyone know if we can send MCAT scores before submitting our TMDSAS application? I sent my scores in using the "Send Scores Electronically" feature on the AAMC site but haven't finished my app

I have taken the GRE for my masters program, so I filled out that I have taken the exam on TMDSAS, however it does not give me any information on if I need to send my scores. When I went to send my scores on the ETS website it does not give me the option to send it to TMDSAS. If I put that I have taken the GRE, is it necessary to send my scores as well?

TTU lubbock says on there website that they will be requiring Casper. No clue how we are supposed to send the scores since Casper doesn't have them listed as a registered school. Also you have that the secondary is available from 5/1. From my experience it's always been no screen, wait for the invite similar to Foster.

Mcgovern told us at their workshop last month that we would receive notification of whether they would have a secondary by 5/1. I haven't seen anything so far so maybe they decided against it?
Thanks @Akela98 I will make some time to track down more info, some of the school pages have been updated and some not

Just received the secondary from TTU Lubbock and I am able to log in but all the checkboxes/textboxes are unclickable... anyone else having this issue?

I need some help interpreting something on the application. The question "Are you a member of the first generation in your immediate family to attend or graduate college?"

It's that "or" that makes it tricky. My mom attended college briefly but never graduated. So the answer is no to attended, but yes to graduated. So what should I answer?

I was wondering if anyone would be able to look over my work/activities section as I have spent a LOT of time on it and would appreciate the feedback/tips/suggestions/edits. If you can PLEASE help me as I want to finish this ASAP, I would really appreciate it. I can go ahead and PM you and send you a link to the Google Docs for it. Thank you!

Two questions related to classifying activities.

1) For fellowships I received from my university for research / work etc - should they be classified as academic recognition or research activities or both? I'm thinking academic recognition or both.

2) Most of my healthcare activities were community service oriented (ei volunteering at a free clinic) should I put these activities in both categories as well? It looks like TMDSAS encourages you to do this, but that just means there will be a lot of overlap.

Thanks!!!

Two questions related to classifying activities.

1) For fellowships I received from my university for research / work etc - should they be classified as academic recognition or research activities or both? I'm thinking academic recognition or both.

2) Most of my healthcare activities were community service oriented (ei volunteering at a free clinic) should I put these activities in both categories as well? It looks like TMDSAS encourages you to do this, but that just means there will be a lot of overlap.

Thanks!!!
Doesn't the Community Service section specify non-healthcare related activities?

Doesn't the Community Service section specify non-healthcare related activities?
Oops - you right!! "Do you have any non-healthcare related community service or volunteer activities to enter"

thoughts on number 1?

Oops - you right!! "Do you have any non-healthcare related community service or volunteer activities to enter"

thoughts on number 1?
What did the fellowship entail? If it involved doing some kind of research then definitely both.

Are you listing your shadowing as one entry or separate entries for each physician? If you have activities with gaps in between active periods, should you list each period as a separate entry?

Update to my previous post: you can now add Texas Tech Lubbock as a school to receive your Casper Test score. Really waiting for the 2018-2019 thread to start so we can post there. I also got the secondary invite today.

UT Southwestern completely changed their secondary. Now they require 3+2 essays.

I apologize for the wait, they should be up not too long from now.

What did the fellowship entail? If it involved doing some kind of research then definitely both.

Are you listing your shadowing as one entry or separate entries for each physician? If you have activities with gaps in between active periods, should you list each period as a separate entry?

Cool thanks.

I've separated my shadowing into inpatient and outpatient - each with multiple physicians.

It depends on the activity. For a job I did during the school year only I listed it separately (bc you can specify the academic year in the employment section) and for research which I had one summer gap I still kept it all together.

In awards section, do we include the amount of a scholarship when listing important awards or just describe the award?

How are you guys dealing with the ridiculously small character limits? 300 characters is only 2-3 brief sentences.

For the second essay for tmdas, I cannot expand upon a profound experience i included in my PS can I? I briefly discuss it in 1 paragraph.

When should one submit the application by to maximize the possibility of an interview invite? I remember seeing a post about interview invite statistics by month but I can't remember where I saw that...

When should one submit the application by to maximize the possibility of an interview invite? I remember seeing a post about interview invite statistics by month but I can't remember where I saw that...
Try to submit in May, June, or early July. TMDSAS takes 4-5 weeks to verify your app., so schools won't see it until that much after your submission date. If you are trying for Baylor and especially UTSW they prefer early applications.
I think this is the info you had seen (I can't find a graph of it right now).

TMDSAS posted some stats from EY17 on the importance of applying early.

11% of applicants applied in May and got 20% of the interviews in TX.
19% of applicants applied in June and got 28% of the interviews.
23% applied in July and got 27% of the interviews.
20% applied in August and got 18% of the interviews.
15% applied in September and got 5% of the interviews.
12% applied in October and got 2% of the interviews.

Last edited:
Question, for the planned activities do we list the total cumulative hours in the cumulative hours box or do we list the projected hours?

I'm enrolled in a graduate degree program that requires no courses (100% research + thesis + thesis defense). I cant find a way to list "no courses" for TMDSAS like I can on AMCAS. Anyone know the proper way to do this?

I'm enrolled in a graduate degree program that requires no courses (100% research + thesis + thesis defense). I cant find a way to list "no courses" for TMDSAS like I can on AMCAS. Anyone know the proper way to do this?
I would list this in the research area and ECs. I will be doing research next year and no course credit will be received.

On the application they say you can submit a committee letter plus an "optional extra letter" but they "prefer" only the required letters. I am debating whether I should send a fourth letter from my research PI that will be very strong. For context, I already have 3 letters in the committee letter that are very strong (told by HPAC committee that reviewed them) but wanted to add the letter from my PI since UTSW is research focused, and my other letters are mostly instructional faculty.

Please advise, thank you!