***Official UCLA College of Dentistry c/o 2015 Acceptance Thread****

Yea, I got the formal letter a little while ago. I'll be getting full tuition every year from my Dean's schol plus whatever I get every year from (<$5000) the Regent's schol. So it's around $140K total I think..

:claps::claps:

CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!! That's amazing! You've got to be so pumped! UCLA for <$150K is, hands-down, the most unbelievable deal I've ever seen!

:bow::bow::bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Damn UCLADDS101... That is insane. Congrats man.

Does that mean your going to stay Bruin?

:laugh: Haha! Yeah, I think that's probably a safe bet. He's certifiably insane if he turns it down. :laugh:

Yea, I got the formal letter a little while ago. I'll be getting full tuition every year from my Dean's schol plus whatever I get every year from (<$5000) the Regent's schol. So it's around $140K total I think..

Wow, congratulations. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ay Gigawatt, are you going to be one of us kick a** bruins as well?

Ay Gigawatt, are you going to be one of us kick a** bruins as well?

I'm leaning towards it at the moment. :thumbup: Are you already set, Tank?

:xf: uclaDDS101, I'll be here hoping that Harvard knocks your socks off! :laugh: ...would give me another crack at this monster scholarship, even though I'm far from next in line, I'm sure. :laugh:

That's insane. I'm jealous haha.

Got in! See you guys there :D

Nice John, did they give you the nod today?

plz post stats and which school u came from..thx and congrats to all

plz post stats and which school u came from..thx and congrats to all

Use the ADEA guide for stats. That is more reliable; I don't understand why you wouldn't use it:confused::confused:

Also, I don't see why it matters what school people went to. People get in from all different schools. Don't pirate a thread to beat a dead horse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the ADEA guide for stats. That is more reliable; I don't understand why you wouldn't use it:confused::confused:

Also, I don't see why it matters what school people went to. People get in from all different schools. Don't pirate a thread to beat a dead horse.

sounding a little angry there buddy:laugh:

Okay, so I did a little search and found that student housing (Weyburn) is going to cost about $1100/month (includes utils).

Anyone know of any cheaper (yet still close) alternatives near UCLA's SOD? I'm also open to the idea of sharing a room to lower the rent. I'm debt-adverse. PM if you're interested. Thanks!

Okay, so I did a little search and found that student housing (Weyburn) is going to cost about $1100/month (includes utils).

Anyone know of any cheaper (yet still close) alternatives near UCLA's SOD? I'm also open to the idea of sharing a room to lower the rent. I'm debt-adverse. PM if you're interested. Thanks!

Privately owned apartment is the best way to go.

Last edited:
Yeah, I go to UCLA undergrad and I pay 365 dollars a month for a double, utilities included. 10 min walk to SoD :) Let me know if you want help, PM me.

Wow. I'd actually be interested in information about that too. The cheapest I found on Craiglist was like 1600 for a 2 BR.

I think I'm gonna opt for Weyburn.. it sounds like thats where the majority of students live.

Anyone who has interviewed recently hear anything yet? I am anxiously waiting to hear back.....It will be a phone call, right?

Yeah, Noemi will call you. If you don't pick up, she'll leave a message saying to call her back.

Just got the call from my interviewer 2 hours ago!!!! I am soooo excited and am definitely attending!

The funny thing is that I have been thinking about where I would be when or if I get the call because I knew that I would remember this moment and my environment at that time forever! Now, the sad part is that out of all the places I could have been and am usually at, I was at Five Guys Burger (first time too!):laugh: A great moment nonetheless & now Five Guys will always be remembered as a happy place......So happy and relieved that today was the last day for the app cycle for me

Just got the call from my interviewer 2 hours ago!!!! I am soooo excited and am definitely attending!

The funny thing is that I have been thinking about where I would be when or if I get the call because I knew that I would remember this moment and my environment at that time forever! Now, the sad part is that out of all the places I could have been and am usually at, I was at Five Guys Burger (first time too!):laugh: A great moment nonetheless & now Five Guys will always be remembered as a happy place......So happy and relieved that today was the last day for the app cycle for me

CONGRATS KILLACAM!!!! I know you have been waiting for UCLA on the Penn thread :). Good luck! :thumbup:

CONGRATS KILLACAM!!!! I know you have been waiting for UCLA on the Penn thread :). Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks! I loved it at Penn but UCLA was perfect in EVERY single aspect in what I was looking for and wanted. Now I just need to go celebrate Friday night

Thanks! I loved it at Penn but UCLA was perfect in EVERY single aspect in what I was looking for and wanted. Now I just need to go celebrate Friday night

Congrats man. I agree :)

Nice Cam, hopefully we can get some pick up soccer games going in the fall.

So Maygyver... what school are you leaning toward?

Columbia I think. I'd love to go to UCLA, but I'm just weary of the price jumping up super high due to the state budget.

Columbia I think. I'd love to go to UCLA, but I'm just weary of the price jumping up super high due to the state budget.

Anyone know when they release the tuition and fees for the 2011-12 year for schools?

Price was my number one concern as well.

It was hard to turn down Columbia.. especially with the nice Deans scholarship they granted me. Even so, it was still slightly more expensive than UCLA.

Location is also key for me and I don't think you can go wrong with West wood or NYC.

If you decide to go LA, ill see you next fall man.

I'd expect annual tuition increases at both (and all) schools, and usually these out-pace inflation. You have to be prepared to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10% more than the published four-year budget that you see as a D1 no matter where you go.

UCLA out-of-state costs are already on par with Columbia costs, but I don't see UCLA in-state tuition ever exceeding Columbia's. I talked to the financial aid officer that spoke at our UCLA interview briefly, and he did mention that UC professional and graduate schools are somewhat insulated from budget issues...at least much more so than undergraduate programs at community colleges, CSUs, and UCs, which have faced the brunt of these cuts. I don't know what that amounts to in hard numbers, but I wouldn't anticipate any huge spike in cost.

Tank, how much was Dean's at Columbia?

A private school tuition is 100% of costs to run a school. Thus, UCLA wont get more expensive than that (because its not trying to turn a profit and the state will never stop funding the University, especially with Jerry Brown as Governor).

A private school tuition is 100% of costs to run a school. Thus, UCLA wont get more expensive than that (because its not trying to turn a profit and the state will never stop funding the University, especially with Jerry Brown as Governor).

I heard from a current student that the price did jump up quite a bit. I forget the exact number. It's a done deal now, but I think if I was from Cali, or even closer to the west and didn't have family in NYC, I would definitely pick UCLA. The small things drew me to Columbia, but I think I would have personally enjoyed attending UCLA a little more. Who knows though. Tough decisions stink.

12.5 g's renewable for all four years.

Nice! That's quality...brings Columbia down to UCLA in-state levels. Congrats on getting it. I can see still choosing UCLA, though.

for those of you who put down deposits, is your my.ucla.edu login working?

Anyone know when they release the tuition and fees for the 2011-12 year for schools?

I sent the financial aid department at UCLA an email, and they said it's coming out in about two weeks. We'll be getting instructions from them/Noemi on applying for aid around that time, too.

Maygyver mentioned that it went up, so now I'm kind of dreading seeing it.

Last edited:
for those of you who put down deposits, is your my.ucla.edu login working?

Just tried it for the first time...same here. It immediately signs me out for some reason after flashing the "you have been successfully signed in" screen.

Is there anything we need it for right now?

I know for undergrads the tuition is not going up next year but grad could be different.

Just tried it for the first time...same here. It immediately signs me out for some reason after flashing the "you have been successfully signed in" screen.

Is there anything we need it for right now?

oh well. i just wanted to check whether my residency classification has been determined since it hasn't appeared on my ursa account page yet..can you guys see yours?

I sent the financial aid department at UCLA an email, and they said it's coming out in about two weeks. We'll be getting instructions from them/Noemi on applying for aid around that time, too.

I'm not completely sure about this year, I just heard that it went up last year, so I would assume the same would happen this year. If it doesn't I'll regret not putting a deposit down.

oh well. i just wanted to check whether my residency classification has been determined since it hasn't appeared on my ursa account page yet..can you guys see yours?

Tell me where to look, and I'll check mine for you.

I'm not completely sure about this year, I just heard that it went up last year, so I would assume the same would happen this year. If it doesn't I'll regret not putting a deposit down.

Actually, it's more likely to be the opposite: (substantial) tuition hikes generally don't happen in back-to-back years. They tend to happen periodically every few years once current financial shortfalls accumulate enough to give the Board of Regents enough impetus to vote on increases (and deal with the accompanying uproar).

I've got to say, I don't really follow your logic for passing up on UCLA, especially if you really see yourself being as happy there as you've made it seem. Nothing wrong with choosing Columbia over UCLA--lots of very good reasons to do so--but "tuition" and "worry about tuition hikes" don't belong on that list. In any case, congratulations on Columbia; maybe I'll see you there next year.