Oregon State c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine in a Storm

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS 3rd time applying. Who else is applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Commenting so I can get notifications. I'm a first year and can answer (almost) any questions about the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS here, applying for the second time. I was on the alternate list last year, which meant I was apparently good enough for the program, but there weren't enough seats available. I worked on raising my GPA and animal experience, so I am hoping for flat out acceptance this year!! Oregon state is definitely one of my top choice schools :happy:

I'm a first year student and can answer any questions folks have as well! Feel free to comment here or PM me

Reactions: 1 user
Oh hey I was wondering if this thread was made yet. SDN doesn't list stuff by time for me.
2nd time applicant, first time to Oregon. From Western Washington, but went to WSU and looking to get back to a nicer climate. Very interested in this program.

Hi everyone! I finally got over my anxiety and clicked submit yesterday. OOS first time applicant. Good luck to everyone:luck:

Reactions: 2 users
happy to be of service! I am entering 4th year soon. :)
I know that OSU has a partnership with the zoo there. How often do you actually get to work with zoo animals or marine animals?

I’m an OOS WICHE applicant, first time applying. Best of luck everyone :)

I know that OSU has a partnership with the zoo there. How often do you actually get to work with zoo animals or marine animals?
OSU doesn't accept exotics all that often. We've had some cool stuff like Bengal tigers, sea otters, porcupines, etc. But all that stuff is not common at the teaching hospital. There are opportunities to get involved/do rotations at wildlife Safari and Hatfield aquarium. Our diagnostic lab receives animals from Oregon fish and wildlife so you'll be doing necropsies on all sorts of marine life (otters, seals, octopi etc.) and we also get foxes, deer, mountain lions, etc. Lots of opportunities to work on exotic species but you have to actively seek them out and go with the nontraditional path fourth year instead of small animal or large animal focus.

Edit: and one of the graduates from 2008 works just two miles from campus. He sees plenty of exotics and often does vet work at the aquarium. So there are people to contact here if you end up attending.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, I received an email that my application was complete. I have not received any email this year. Has anybody heard from OSU? :O

Last year, I received an email that my application was complete. I have not received any email this year. Has anybody heard from OSU? :O
I received an email from them on September 26th saying my application was considered complete.

I received an email from them on September 26th saying my application was considered complete.

Oh wait I’m dumb. The email was in my inbox lmaoooo. xD

Oh wait I’m dumb. The email was in my inbox lmaoooo. xD
Oh good! Honestly though the waiting is getting to me and sometimes I wonder if I remembered to even submit my application haha

Oh good! Honestly though the waiting is getting to me and sometimes I wonder if I remembered to even submit my application haha

Yessss! I feel like I have been waiting a long time since I submitted my application, but it has only been like a month lol.

Yessss! I feel like I have been waiting a long time since I submitted my application, but it has only been like a month lol.
Same! I can’t believe its only been about a month. I thought the hard part would be the app and essays, but at least then I had something to do and the summer seemed to fly by. Now just waiting seems to be dragging on and on.

Same! I can’t believe its only been about a month. I thought the hard part would be the app and essays, but at least then I had something to do and the summer seemed to fly by. Now just waiting seems to be dragging on and on.

Totally. Before submitting it was an active process that we had control over. Now it’s painful patience.

Late to the party, but I also applied to OSU! First cycle, first time applying, AZ WICHE applicant! Waiting for December since finishing the app has been killing me lol. Also, question for current students: What is the housing like there? Is there a good amount of availability? What are average prices? Thanks!

Late to the party, but I also applied to OSU! First cycle, first time applying, AZ WICHE applicant! Waiting for December since finishing the app has been killing me lol. Also, question for current students: What is the housing like there? Is there a good amount of availability? What are average prices? Thanks!
You definitely have to start looking early if you want good prices. The good stuff fills up really quick.
You'll hear people complaining about housing prices in Corvallis but it's actually one of the cheaper places I've lived. I pay $475 a month in a 2 bed 1 bath apartment 2 miles from campus. There are even cheaper places but those are few and far between.

Reactions: 2 users
You definitely have to start looking early if you want good prices. The good stuff fills up really quick.
You'll hear people complaining about housing prices in Corvallis but it's actually one of the cheaper places I've lived. I pay $475 a month in a 2 bed 1 bath apartment 2 miles from campus. There are even cheaper places but those are few and far between.
Thank you for the help!

I went there for my undergrad and moved every year so although I’m not a vet student I’m pretty familiar with the housing. I found most of my places on Craigslist so that’s a good place to check current prices. A 2 bed apartment will run anywhere from $800-1400 depending on location and how old it is. A 3 bed house is generally $1600-2000. I definitely agree that anything priced well goes fast. If you’ll have a car you could look in Philomath, Albany or Lebanon, all are within 20 minutes of OSU and have much cheaper housing. All 4 towns are included in the Corvallis craigslist. Scams are becoming more common so if the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I went there for my undergrad and moved every year so although I’m not a vet student I’m pretty familiar with the housing. I found most of my places on Craigslist so that’s a good place to check current prices. A 2 bed apartment will run anywhere from $800-1400 depending on location and how old it is. A 3 bed house is generally $1600-2000. I definitely agree that anything priced well goes fast. If you’ll have a car you could look in Philomath, Albany or Lebanon, all are within 20 minutes of OSU and have much cheaper housing. All 4 towns are included in the Corvallis craigslist. Scams are becoming more common so if the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Thank you for the information! Also, what is the fee for parking passes?

Thank you for the information! Also, what is the fee for parking passes?
No problem! The parking passes are on a tiered system and prices increase every year. This year they range from $108 to $522, with the lots for the vet school priced at $351. The $108 lots are a 10-15 minute walk from the vet school so pretty doable if you want to save money and aren’t bothered by the rain.

Any OOS heard anything??
Nope, the last thing I heard was that OOS admission decisions would be released in December (as OSU does not do interviews for OOS). This info was sent to me in an email I received on October 1.

Nope, the last thing I heard was that OOS admission decisions would be released in December (as OSU does not do interviews for OOS). This info was sent to me in an email I received on October 1.
same :hungover:

Per the 2023 thread, OOS acceptances/rejections went out on December 11th last year. So close yet so far!

Reactions: 3 users

Was this the same email, or was there a different one sent after?

Attachments

• 5485D778-60E5-42E8-87D6-94617281F0FC.jpeg
    5485D778-60E5-42E8-87D6-94617281F0FC.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 112
Was this the same email, or was there a different one sent after?
This is the same one I received. Probably almost a month after you did because I submitted my VMCAS application on 9/15 :laugh:

This is the same one I received. Probably almost a month after you did because I submitted my VMCAS application on 9/15 :laugh:
Haha thank goodness I almost panicked because I didn’t get any email in October!

Has anyone heard anything back yet?

I think last year OOS students had started hearing back by now.

I've been driving myself crazy waiting to hear, can they just put us out of our misery already?

While I'm fully expecting an OOS rejection, I still can't wait, continually refreshing my email :p

Reactions: 4 users
This. So much this.
Highly relatable. Honestly don't even know why I applied to Oregon given the OOS odds. I mean I'd love to attend OSU but the odds are emphatically NOT in my favor lol :D Can't get in if you don't apply I guess! :laugh:

Highly relatable. Honestly don't even know why I applied to Oregon given the OOS odds. I mean I'd love to attend OSU but the odds are emphatically NOT in my favor lol :D Can't get in if you don't apply I guess! :laugh:

Sameeeeeee. By now they’ve got to have some idea of those that are definite rejects. I would appreciate my rejection sooner rather than later if I’m on that list :oops:

Glad it's not just me this week feeling this way! Good luck everyone! :)

At least OOS peeps don’t constantly get emails from OSU to scare the daylights out of you. Multiple times a week I see OSU newsletters or alumni association in my inbox notifications and I have a mini heart attack almost every time o_O

Argh....hopefully tomorrow is the day ?!? :p

Is it possible that each day that goes by feels like a longer day? Cause same.

Is it possible that each day that goes by feels like a longer day? Cause same.
I'm surprised IS hasn't even heard back yet. They seemed to have heard back before the 10th in most years prior.

I got an email!! OOS acceptance!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users