OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<26 Mcat...

Yes there has been, not a ton, but there has been. They usually shine in another part of the application. That is a part of what makes OSU-COM such a great place. They consider you're whole application and you as a person during your interview, in the selection process.

People that get in with a score below 26 typically have alot of clinical experience, stellar GPA, or both...

For the class of 2012 our scores were as follows:
27 Mcat Avg
3.55 Cum GPA
3.6 Sci GPA

These I'm spouting off from memory, but I believe they are posted on the website somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Just think about averages and if the average is 27 and they have alot of 27+ students then there is plent of room for some lower 20's, and still keep the average of 27. Simple numbers would look like 30,30,27,27,21 with average of still 27. So I would say yes it's very likely that some lower mcat scores are accepted.

Also upon talking to different students at the interview session most are lurkers on sdn and never post. Some don't even know about sdn strangely enough, I personally would be happy if the first question at interview was what's your screen name you didn't reply with a name that had posted 10 times on osu-chs you would be thrown on the wait list, if you had you would be automatically accepted.

Update: Admissions comm. will meet again in 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would second that admission stipulation Saylor.

Meet in two weeks for what? To consider further interviews? I have not received an interview...and while I know that it seems far too late for any chance (since even the wait list people are worried at this point...and I'm not even on the wait list), I have not yet received a rejection letter. This is killing me...

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i got an email from someone at osu saying that they are done with interviews... i have not received a rejection letter neither

I figured as much... Ah, well. I'm not done fighting.

They are meeting in regards to "acceptance". I was told that the only interviews left were for the bridge program.

Does anyone know when the final waitlist will go out? How many spots they have left to offer?

I think the next round of acceptances will be to fill vacant slots from people withdrawing an acceptance. they likely will pull from the waitlist.

I interviewed there two weeks ago. They are done with interviews for everything except the bridge program. That day they advised us that there were 6 positions still open but that they were receiving calls from individuals taking offers at other school. They also told us that after the bridge interviews that they will make a final wait list but i cannot remember when they said that would take place. I am sure you could call or email and they could tell you.

I have meant to get on here and post but until this point i have been very busy. I would like to say thanks to all of you who have posted up here because the information was very helpful in getting ready for interviews.

Interviews are actually not over. My close friend from work is having an interview this coming Tuesday, and he is not a Bridge applicant.

Well when i was there two weeks ago they said they were done after that week so they must have decided to have some more, and they will be doing bridge interviews that day so it wouldn't be hard to add a few on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The final waitlist is usually done toward the end of May. I've been on it twice and I usually get me letter somewhere around the end of May/beginning of June. They usually cut the original waitlist in half, is what I've been told. But since they don't release the actual numbers, I don't know what half is. I'm surprised they had 6 spots open this late, but I guess that's encouraging to us waitlisters.

I'm kinda to the point where I'm not so much hopeful, and more frustrated. I know there is still plenty of time though, and I'm tryint to keep my head up.

at this point I am just going to work and not planning on an acceptance to the regular program. i am hopeful about the bridge program, but still being realistic in the fact that it is very competitive and someone else may have an advantage that I do not. Best wishes to everyone out there, when I finally do get into OSU I will stomp you in class rank and get the residency of my choice.

Curiosity got the best of me and I called to see about the interview status. They did add one day of regular interviews, which is next Tuesday. The class is not full, but she did not say how many spots are still open.

I would say Saylor hit it on the head with his avg's comment. If the avg is 27, you are looking at half the class being above and below that mark. How far is anyones guess, due to the MCAT not really being a big discussion topic once you get in.

I'm not sure about the interviews, BUT I did get an email the other day saying they had added another interview date. Not sure if its regular class or the bridge, just thought I'd throw that out there. There is a TON of movement off the list guys so try and not let it get you down. I actually expect this year to have more than avg due to the hospital situation earlier on. Some people will just be scared/worried and will choose other programs. Their loss your gain :)

On another note we have the summer trip narrowed down to Hawaii for 2 weeks and a cruise. We nixed Europe due to the price and dropping value of the dollar. Saylor what island did you suggest? I know we've looked at several different resorts.

O and lastly.... Use SDN as a bond of sorts. I got to meet several of my classmates on here and we already had that connection going in. Myo and several others are people that I look to all the time for help and information. Dr. Mom was HUGELY influential on me during my application process and though I don't get to chat with her much anymore, I still know she'd be willing to help me with info if I needed it. And all of us will be more than willing to help you guys out next year as well. Good luck!

Big island of Hawaii is pure paradise kona (on hawaii) has several resorts. Maui is a nice island also. I am just not a fan of Oahu since I was stuck there for a tour in usmc.

As an update for the class size increase, the following was discussed this morning by the Deans:
The incoming class size will be increased by four (4) slots. The more extended class size increase which was to take place over the next three years has been put on hold due to funding [most specifically, as I understand it, for the cost of increasing the size of the Anatomy lab to hold the extra students]. The Regents approved the overall class size increase but would not appropriate the funding necessary to make it happen. So the Deans and faculty decided that the best they could do was four; and so congrats to the extra four that will benefit.

And to speak to a concern that some might have, Dr. Fernandes (president) has personally said, as well as the Deans have emphasized, that this increase in size will not 'lower' the standards of acceptances to fill the class size increase. They've said that they can maintain the kind of demographics that keeps our school outstanding and not sacrifice quality.

In any case, I look forward to meeting the incoming class -- congrats to all on their acceptances, and best of luck to all of those on the waitlist!

Just think about averages and if the average is 27 and they have alot of 27+ students then there is plent of room for some lower 20's, and still keep the average of 27. Simple numbers would look like 30,30,27,27,21 with average of still 27. So I would say yes it's very likely that some lower mcat scores are accepted.

Even with an average of 27, not that many will be in the low 20s range. True that half should be under 27, but you'll find that most of the scores are clustered around that 27 average.

I agree dr mom. I was just trying to point out it is possible to have a high avg and still have a few outliers in the low twenties.

really good news with class size increase even four is good news

Tussis-

Would your location have to do with the "Nerve to Fornix?" :D

My interview has been changed to Monday the 6th. Is anyone else interviewing on that date?

I'm accepted for next year and have a question for the current students. My fiance and I are looking for health insurance. Do you guys have any suggestions about where to get insurance and what coverage I actually need? I heard there are some things available for us for free, but no one has been able to elaborate on it for me.

I think that some of the student clubs offer health insurance, but I don't know that any of it is free. If you call the school they should be able to give you more info. When my sister was a med student, she just used BCBS independently.

Hey all, quick question.

You may have seen my post in the main DO forum, but heres a quick recap.

I've been shadowing two DOs extensively and both declined to write me an LOR

I know I still have time, So I've contacted about 10 other DOs and had 1 success, and the secretary told they have a letter that they just plug in names into....

Other option is asking my Fiance's uncle, whom I've never shadowed, but only had some contact to write one.

My question: Does OSU place alot of emphasis on a DO LOR? I know theres two options listed on their website for a DO: either a letter or an evaluation or both.
If all I can get is an eval rather than a true letter, will that hurt me?

Insurance - I use SOMA and I pay around 70$/month I believe. I know there is sooner healthcare or insure oklahoma (something along those lines) that some people have that is ridiculously cheap. I will ask around to see what its called and post back by this weekend or monday.

LOR's - Man you are kind of in a jam. I know you need something from a DO, as Dr. Mom said. Did they say why they wouldn't write you a letter? That seems weird, most of the physicians I had contact with before school kind of knew that I was gaining experience for school and gaining an acquaintance for the LOR that comes at the end. As far as the eval vs LOR, I had 2 DO's complete both, but I'm sure that was probably overkill.

As far as insurance goes, I'd recommend checking into the insure oklahoma or BCBS plans. Soonerhealth is the medicaid program and some students with families qualify.

I had the SOMA insurance (MEGA life & health company) & they were absolutely horrible to deal with if you actually had a claim. I wouldn't recommend any policies from MEGA.

well i got a phone call acceptance yesterday. I am really excited. I interviewed on the March 12th, and for you discussion about low MCAT scores I had a 22R. But i did have an overall 3.84 GPA with 3.97 in the sciences with over 1500 community service hours as a volunteer firefighter and emergency medical responder.

Hey guys I just got a call yesterday from Leah letting me know I was accepted as well! Good luck to those on the waitlist and hope to meet everyone already in the class soon!

I got my call yesterday! I interviewed 3/31 and got a call from Dr. Stewart on 4/2...I can't believe that I'm going to be a doctor! Good luck to everyone on the wait list and I hope to meet you all in August!

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!! I am really proud of yall!! Now, just enjoy your summer!
Good luck to those upcoming bridge interviewers!!!

I have SOMA insurance because it is cheap and I never get sick or have to go to the doctor (knock on wood) so it was the best option for me. I pay $140 per month but that covers dental and eye because those are definitely the two things I will be needing. I am pretty happy with it but I have never really had to deal with a claim yet.

That is weird about your letters!! I am curious about that, too. It's kinda an unspoken understanding that you will be writing a student a letter when you are a D.O. and they are shadowing you because they know that everyone is required to have one. I can't believe they flat-out denied you!! It's not unheard of, I suppose, just weird! I only had a D.O. letter. I was kinda in a spot myself because I didn't decided to apply to OSU until July so I scrambled around calling D.O.s and found one that let me shadow her for two days a week for a month at Southwest Integris and she wrote me a letter after that. That's all I had. I am not sure what the weight of the letter is but I would imagine it is a decent portion of the deciding factors. You are essentially entering a family of physicians, and a specific kind of physicians with a specific belief system, so hearing from one of their own about how they percieve you and how you would fit in the family would be kinda important I would think. Just keep calling around and you will find someone.
It wasn't D.O.s at Southwest that gave you trouble was it?

No i shadowed southwest for about 100 hours from january 08 to march 08 but when I last checked in, all the people I shadowed had since finished residency and I can't find for a letter. The two DO's are out of edmond medical center.

The one I have hope for is Dr. Uhland, an OSU alumni and orthopedic surgeon. My Fiance's uncle is a anesthesiologist. Either way I'm sure I can get something from one of them.

About insurance... I was told that AMSA has better insurance than SOMA. AMSA is what I will get in June when I can't be on my parents anymore. It is actually United Healthcare.

How many accepted?

How many spots left?

How many are on the wait list?

Did they schedule a new interview date?

When is the deposit due date for acceptees?

Have any bridge applicants been accepted?

Will any more bridge applicants be interviewed?

Is there a preference for students who were wait-listed in November vs. students who were wait listed over the last two months?

How many accepted?

How many spots left?

How many are on the wait list?

Did they schedule a new interview date?

You'll have to call admissions and see what they say.

When is the deposit due date for acceptees?

IIRC, you have a couple of weeks to pay the deposit.

Have any bridge applicants been accepted?

Will any more bridge applicants be interviewed?

Usually by now the bridge interviews are scheduled, if not completed. Again, a call to admissions will help you out.

Is there a preference for students who were wait-listed in November vs. students who were wait listed over the last two months?

They review all of the waitlist folks every time they're pulling from that pool of interviewees. No preference given to time of interview.

Hey all, quick question.

You may have seen my post in the main DO forum, but heres a quick recap.

I've been shadowing two DOs extensively and both declined to write me an LOR

I know I still have time, So I've contacted about 10 other DOs and had 1 success, and the secretary told they have a letter that they just plug in names into....

Other option is asking my Fiance's uncle, whom I've never shadowed, but only had some contact to write one.

My question: Does OSU place alot of emphasis on a DO LOR? I know theres two options listed on their website for a DO: either a letter or an evaluation or both.
If all I can get is an eval rather than a true letter, will that hurt me?

When I talked to Lindsey Kirkpatrick, she said they prefer a letter over the form b/c it will be more detailed, the form is there so letter writers know what kind of info to make sure to include. You can turn in a letter and the form if you want.

Congrats to the bunch who just got accepted! That seems like quite a bit of movement which is exciting.

Saylorsdad- How did your interview for the bridge program go?

I also talked to the school today and all 92 spots have been filled.

To those of you on the waitlist, even though all spots have been filled, there is always some movement between now and orientation week. People can still get acceptances elsewhere and withdraw. The last opening in my class came up a couple of days before orientation week.

my interview went ok it was different from my last interview but I feel pretty good about it. I try to keep in mind that they are interviewing around 30 other highly qualified students

Looks like the adcom will look over DO/MS apps around the first of May, then send certain folks the graduate app. materials and request a letter of intent....sooo exciting.

Let me know if anyone has questions about the DO/MS program!

The adcom for the bridge program should meet this week sometime, has anyone heard when? Last week at the interviews they said that in two or three weeks we should know something, however I assume that was how long it could take to find out the bad news.

I just found out last night that Aerosmith is coming to the BOK Center with ZZTop July 30th. My dream is to go to the concert, get to touch Steven Tyler, and have the best night of my life before starting the hell of medical school a couple of weeks later. Now if only I can get into school to make that dream come true... :)

I heard yesterday that there has been some movement but they have not met to pull people from the waitlist. Also they have met for acceptances to the bridge program, but are not calling for a week or so due to Leah Haines being out of office. Hopefully they will have someone call soon.

I had also called the school to confirm something with Leah, and they said she is out of the office until the middle of next week. I think that Dr. Stuart makes the calls of acceptance too, so if the committee meets soon maybe she will make the calls.

*bump*

Thread too close to the bottom for comfort lol

Status
Not open for further replies.