OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing: if any of you are interested in research and/or an opportunity to get your "foot in the door" at OSU, then you should look into the DO/MS program. It is a seperate process from the original DO application, but you do not have to interview again. Any questions: message me.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the call from Dr. Stewart!!!! I can't believe that I am going to be a doctor!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats StephO! Join the group on facebook!

Just wanted to congratulate everyone and wish ya good luck on the upcoming interviews.:D

Congrats StephO! That didn't take long at all, you must be so relieved!

am in room at doubletree waiting on my interview tomorrow. best of luck to anyone else who has a interview.

You should go eat at Wild Fork or Los Cabos! Those are my favorite restaurants and eating good food always helps me relax.....and a beer or two. Good luck tomorrow. I know you will rock the interview.

we are eating at charleston off of peoria pretty nice atmosphere. I will have to chk out the others next time.

has anyone from out-of-state received an interview?

I interviewed back at the first of December and was waitlisted on Dec 22nd. I got a call/letter on January 26th telling me that I was accepted!

Does anyone have any info on the Admitted Students Day? What goes on during this day?

lots of recent news here! The school has been trying for that increase in enrollment since when I was a student. Glad it is finally approved.

Congrats to those of you who have recently gotten your acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure... I believe so though from the way it was worded!

Sarah Q said that for the entering class of 2009 that maybe there would be a couple more spots open but 115 people will not matriculate in August cause they have to get funding and do some construction to accomodate more students. Anyway, I interviewed today and it was a great day! The next two weeks are going to drag on....

but 115 people will not matriculate in August cause they have to get funding and do some construction to accomodate more students.

:laugh:

In my class, for the first 4 months if you didn't show up 45 minutes before lecture started, you'd be stuck in the back of the class. It barely fit 88 back in 03, I wonder how they're going to work in 20 more.

i got a call from Dr. Stewart on Thursday: accepted!

geez... i've been plugging away at this for SO LONG now that the weight lifted off my shoulders is just incredible.

to all those with acceptances: congrats, now go celebrate... you deserve it!

to all those still waiting: good luck, try not to let the stress kill you!

to all those who've heard bad news: never give up! you can and will do it! i can tell you from experience that it will eventually be worth all the stress and heartbreak.

cheers!

there is quite a bit of new interview feedback posted for those who are waiting for a interview. Best of luck to those who interviewed on the 13th. We had a great group and everyone being interviewed were very talkative and helpful. Bailey was one of our tourguides for the day and he gave us tons of good information.

In my class, for the first 4 months if you didn't show up 45 minutes before lecture started, you'd be stuck in the back of the class. It barely fit 88 back in 03, I wonder how they're going to work in 20 more.

On Friday (Research Day) they are breaking ground for the new research wing to the school. The mayor and some other people are coming for the ceremony. It is going to be at the corner of 17th and Southwest Blvd. I'm pretty sure they will have a lecture hall added in there, which is probably how they are going to fit 115 people in the room. I think the only problem is the room where the 2nd years meet, because Dunlap (where 1st years go) is plenty big.

i got a call from Dr. Stewart on Thursday: accepted!

geez... i've been plugging away at this for SO LONG now that the weight lifted off my shoulders is just incredible.

to all those with acceptances: congrats, now go celebrate... you deserve it!

to all those still waiting: good luck, try not to let the stress kill you!

to all those who've heard bad news: never give up! you can and will do it! i can tell you from experience that it will eventually be worth all the stress and heartbreak.

cheers!

Congrats! What day did you interview?

Ah, they finally finished revamping Dunlap? we didn't use that except for some noon lectures and testing.

Yeah, it's huge now. I think you can fit about 200 people in there. It's a really nice room.

Stuck in the back? I showed up early to *get* the back row and I was in the gunner class! :laugh:

It use to sound like an aircraft was taking off when the air kicked on.

As I sit in lecture and the air kicked on I had to chuckle reading this. Its not nearly as loud and will fit 200 people easily. I'm not positive, but I thought the renovations were done in 2005 or 6. As sookie said, I am pretty curious as to how they will fit the added students in the second year lecture halls.

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted, it will be great to get the opportunity to meet you all. To those that interviewed on the 13th, it was a great time, I enjoyed talking with all of you. I do apologize as I was far from my best, recuperating from neuro on thursday. Feel free to pm me if there is more that you'd like to ask or know about.

Admitted student day - February 21st - I would say come to it. I went to mine and didn't regret it at all. You'll meet more of the ambassadors, you'll meet some faculty, and most importantly you'll get to see some of your future classmates. The more you see them, the more you'll know which ones you mesh the best with for studying, hanging out, etc.. I'm HORRIBLE with names so I used all the meetings I could to learn the names of clasmates. I look forward to meeting more of you guys on saturday. Hope the week is good for all!

Got interview invite today....will be interviewing feb. 26th.....

SOOOOOOOOO excited>>>>>>

Congrats Nobleheart- Good luck!

Good luck nobleheart the interview will be very low stress. The interviewers at OSU are there to get to know you.

does anyone know how much longer interviews are going on, this is the only school i have not heard back from yet

The catalog says they interview through April.

Is it still possible to gain acceptance if you have not even been offered an interview yet? Anyone know? I'm soooooooooo anxious and hopeful...

The regular program interviews end in March and bridge application interviews are in April.

Has anyone heard when the admissions committie is going to meet again? I was hoping it would be before Saturday "and they would call" due to admitted students day being this weekend.

I talked to Sarah today and she said that the committee met yesterday and that letters will be going out tomorrow....so we wont know in time for admitted students day but there is going to be another one in the summer.

Congrats to those that are getting the news of interviews and acceptances! That's always exciting stuff.

Don't sweat not making it to this A. S. D. Last year we have probably 50 people show up to the first one, I think about 40 or so ended up being in the class. There is another one in the summer thats a little more "final". I didn't go to mine in the summer due to moving over that weekend, but I know of a bunch of people that attended both. We are also having the groundbreaking ceremony tomorrow for the new building(s) ( not sure what all is involved so I'll throw the s on there to cover my bases :) )

They interview well into march, but I know of people getting accepted the week before orientation in August, so don't ever get discouraged.

thanks bailey for the information on asd. the admissions process is just like military hurry up and wait then repeat.

My class had someone accepted off of the wait list the day before orientation began.

saylorsdad, the whole pre-med, med school, and residency process is rampant with hurry up and wait.

anyone know the proper attire for the admitted students' day tomorrow? i'm guessing something like "business casual"? i'd hate to be the goofball that's over/under-dressed.

also, anyone familiar with the tulsa area know of a good place to look for rental houses (i'm thinking somewhere between the school and downtown, but i have no frame of reference).

how was admitted students day?

did they mention an increased class size?

how many people were there?

how was admitted students day?

did they mention an increased class size?

how many people were there?

I asked about the increased in class size at ASD yesterday and they said that they were going to add 8 seats per year until they get to 115 starting next year. So the incoming class of 2013 will still be 88 and 2014 will be 96.

ASD was fun. We went over financial aid, did some get to know you stuff, and got fitted for white coats. Saylorsdad and ChiO we missed you! But I'm confident you will be there for the next one!

It was nice to finally put SDN names to faces. Mine was easy to figure out because my screen name is completely unoriginal. deadeyedk, were you there?

It was nice to finally put SDN names to faces. Mine was easy to figure out because my screen name is completely unoriginal. deadeyedk, were you there?

i was there. i was the nervous guy whose "cool thing about me" was that i'm an excellent cook. StephO, i'm still not sure who you were, but i'm very bad with names-to-faces in those types of situations.

it was a good time. everyone in the class (that showed up) seemed very cool. it was hard to tell how many students there were, but i'm guessing around 40?

it felt GREAT to get fitted for a white coat. and brunch was excellent.

I talked to Sarah today and the letters have not gone out yet. She thinks they will be mailed today or tomorrow but the committee has met. I'm tired of waiting.....

waiting is no fun but it is part of the game. hopefully by mid week we will have good news.
did anyone read in the tulsa world where the house passed funding for osu hospital. it goes to the senate next monday and is expected to pass.

I heard from sarah today that letters were going out.

wait list letters going out tomorrow they called yesterday if you were admitted.

About a week ago, I got in touch with a family friend- a family friend who just happens to be on the Oklahoma State Board of Regents for Higher Education!- and he agreed to put in a call to the school on my behalf. He called again to let me know he had talked with the school and their feedback was the following: 1) I didn't have enough sciences (WHAT?!? This is my third application cycle and they are just now telling me?!?) 2) I need to increase my MCAT score (This part I already knew, and trust me I've tried) 3) I'm not being aggressive enough (How can that be? I worked as a nurse aide for over a year to get hospital experience and I'm now working in a clinic in a position well below my potential solely to continue to improve my application, I call the school constantly to check on my status, I've shadowed several different physicians, and I'm having this guy call on my behalf!) So, needless to say, last night I was pretty bummed. But this morning, I jumped back on the horse and called Leah Haines directly. Thankfully, the information about not having enough sciences was incorrect, I'm fine in that area. As far as being aggressive, she said I'm doing everything right. She basically said the only thing holding me back is my MCAT. My scores will be released Monday at 5pm, so hopefully, they will have increased and there will be nothing else holding me back.

On a much cooler note, I had Implanon (the implantable birth control that lasts 3 years) inserted into my arm today, and it was really cool to watch. It's creepy stuff like giant needles driving into and under my skin that, for me, confirms I want to be a doctor :)

Sorry for all the ranting and raving and the long post, it's hard for other people to understand what this whole process is like unless you have gone/are going through it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.