OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they give you any feedback last year as to how you could improve your chances of acceptance? It is a very frustrating situation, but I bet this will be your lucky year :xf:
By the way, My name is Amber. Are you the one whos fiancé is in the program?

Ah, my mistake, interviewed on the 24th (Friday). I'm a non-traditional, married to a dietitian, master's degree, lots of research and clinical experience. They typically give me the same line "take some upper division science courses, improve your MCAT." The thing is, I taught upper division classes at OU, published my research, worked with a DO surgeon writing manuscripts and conducting biomechanics research, etc. for 18 months. I could go on, but my MCAT isn't as competitive since I haven't had gen chem, orgo, and physics in 14 years. Taking it in a couple of weeks, but I'm just tired of this stumbling block.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, my mistake, interviewed on the 24th (Friday). I'm a non-traditional, married to a dietitian, master's degree, lots of research and clinical experience. They typically give me the same line "take some upper division science courses, improve your MCAT." The thing is, I taught upper division classes at OU, published my research, worked with a DO surgeon writing manuscripts and conducting biomechanics research, etc. for 18 months. I could go on, but my MCAT isn't as competitive since I haven't had gen chem, orgo, and physics in 14 years. Taking it in a couple of weeks, but I'm just tired of this stumbling block.

You sound perfect :) I hope that you get some good news very soon!

Thanks, just hoping they see that as well. Head up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they give you any feedback last year as to how you could improve your chances of acceptance? It is a very frustrating situation, but I bet this will be your lucky year :xf:
By the way, My name is Amber. Are you the one whos fiancé is in the program?
I'm the fiancee in question. That's not him. Fiance hasn't heard anything yet, but we are staying positive.

Well I got my waitlist letter today :( There are so many of us... We could/should start our own thread! Lol.

Got waitlisted back in Jan.. still no word.. :( anybody have any tips on what i should do next?? So tired of being in limbo here!!

I was waitlisted back in October as well. Now I'm just taking extra classes and waiting, hoping the class does not fill up with out me.

Not an option since I graduated 2 years ago now!! Hang I'm there!

Not an option since I graduated 2 years ago now!! Hang I'm there!

What's not an option? Taking classes? What is your degree in? I took 7 lower division courses and am working on my 8th upper division science course since I graduated with my BS in May 09'. I start med school at OSU-COM this Fall. I graduated from OSU with a public health-like degree and took all my post-undergraduate classes from Tulsa Community College & NSU in Broken Arrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Molecular bio and I've taken almost all upper level classes at my undergrad institution (except for those in the Masters program)... I work full-time as a medic and am currently already accepted to one medical school… Just waiting on OSU

Molecular bio and I've taken almost all upper level classes at my undergrad institution (except for those in the Masters program)... I work full-time as a medic and am currently already accepted to one medical school… Just waiting on OSU

Same situation for me. Mine was in ZOO: Biomed, though. I've taken almost every upper division science available. Then I got an MPH. Working right now. I was accepted to the same school as you. Just waiting on OSU.

Seems like something should happen pretty soon. Last year by this time all bridge interviews had been scheduled and the class was full I think. I have a feeling the writing on the wall for me. Who knows the phone could still ring. Good luck everybody.

I called yesterday and Lindsay said that the class isn't full yet.. gives me a little bit of hope...

I see. Where did you get accepted already?

How did the class of 2012 do on the match this year? Both AOA and ACGME. Just curious!!

How did the class of 2012 do on the match this year? Both AOA and ACGME. Just curious!!

I am curious to know this as well. Is it posted on the school web site somewhere?

i think they still have some bridge interviews left.
Bridge interviews are going on as I post this, they will conclude this week if I was told correctly.

I am curious to know this as well. Is it posted on the school web site somewhere?
They won't release the match information publicly for a while, but from talking to students, everything went well. They re-did the scramble to make it more organized and less hectic and apparently all of the students I knew who had to scramble ended up landing a choice position.

For future reference, they only keep records on the AOA match.

Bridge interviews are going on as I post this, they will conclude this week if I was told correctly.

They won't release the match information publicly for a while, but from talking to students, everything went well. They re-did the scramble to make it more organized and less hectic and apparently all of the students I knew who had to scramble ended up landing a choice position.

So there is no way to see where and to what specialty OSU grads match ACGME? I've seen other schools post both matches. I wonder why OSU chooses only to release the AOA matches.

Did anyone recieve an e-mail regarding dual degree programs yeserday?

Sure did...any thoughts to if that helps your chances if you do those programs?

OSU 2012 Match Results, found here
The results are subdivided on different tabs for MD and DO.

And second, yes the school gets and keeps records for the allopathic ACGME match.
Third, the new 'scramble' (aka "SOAP") is only available in the Allo match. The traditional scramble is still the process for the Osteo match.

My take: a very, very successful Allo match for us.

Wow, OSU did really well, ESP in the ACGME!! Makes me even more excited to come here

OSU 2012 Match Results, found here
The results are subdivided on different tabs for MD and DO.

And second, yes the school gets and keeps records for the allopathic ACGME match.
Third, the new 'scramble' (aka "SOAP") is only available in the Allo match. The traditional scramble is still the process for the Osteo match.

My take: a very, very successful Allo match for us.

My bad for the mis-information, thanks for the correction. We just got the results by email today so I was about to post.

Did anyone recieve an e-mail regarding dual degree programs yeserday?

I have no idea if applying dual degree helps your admission possibilities, I have a feeling that trying to do or say anything except what you really want is probably a mistake. Doctors get pretty good at reading people.

However, I have learned a little bit about the dual degree programs that make it more attractive. The drawbacks of dual degree is that it takes an extra year and you have some extra work (like essay questions) in classes and you have to keep a higher GPA. Pass does not equal MS/DO.

But there are some very real benefits. Firstly, you get to ease into medical school with a lighter load. The dual degree students have a LOT more time (for example, note how much time Phlame can spend in this forum). They aren't thrown at the cadavers in Anatomy before they have even caught their breath. They also have some extra space/reserved desks/study/refrigerator/break rooms made available to them. They get to form more personal relationships with the teachers. Even at my geriatric age, I would choose to take this path if I had to do it over.

I have no idea if applying dual degree helps your admission possibilities, I have a feeling that trying to do or say anything except what you really want is probably a mistake. Doctors get pretty good at reading people.

However, I have learned a little bit about the dual degree programs that make it more attractive. The drawbacks of dual degree is that it takes an extra year and you have some extra work (like essay questions) in classes and you have to keep a higher GPA. Pass does not equal MS/DO.

But there are some very real benefits. Firstly, you get to ease into medical school with a lighter load. The dual degree students have a LOT more time (for example, note how much time Phlame can spend in this forum). They aren't thrown at the cadavers in Anatomy before they have even caught their breath. They also have some extra space/reserved desks/study/refrigerator/break rooms made available to them. They get to form more personal relationships with the teachers. Even at my geriatric age, I would choose to take this path if I had to do it over.

Thank you for the advice!

I don't know where you got that I was a dual degree, I am traditional.

I am just very well time managed so that I designate jack-around time for stuff like this.

Any feedback/opinions from the MBA students? I already have an MS in research and I am a little too old for a PhD.

I don't know where you got that I was a dual degree, I am traditional.

I am just very well time managed so that I designate jack-around time for stuff like this.

Sorry, I should have known that. I wish that I was as well organized.

Well I just got a call from admissions.... they picked me up off the waitlist!!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooooo happy!! Just thought I would post and let everyone still on the waitlist know that there is hope and that the waitlist is definitely moving! Good luck to everyone, I hope everything works out for all of you!!

Well I just got a call from admissions.... they picked me up off the waitlist!!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooooo happy!! Just thought I would post and let everyone still on the waitlist know that there is hope and that the waitlist is definitely moving! Good luck to everyone, I hope everything works out for all of you!!

Congrats!!!:)

Congrats!!! I'm still on the waitlist so here's hoping!!!

I would like to know what are my interview chances:

1) Science GPA (2.933)
2) Overall GPA (3.22)
3) MCAT (Vastly underestimated exam and received an incredibly low score (below 15), but scored a Q on the essays. I'm retaking it April 28th - in 3 weeks AGGHHHH)
4) Experience (5 years b/w two hospitals as a patient transporter/orderly, Post-Op/Recovery nurse assistant, Registration/Admissions clerk, and currently, a laboratory assistant)
5) Shadowed several D.O.s whom are all OSU alums that can write letters of recommendation for me
6) I have a strong desire to practice rural medicine here in Oklahoma. All my family lives here and I have no interest in moving away, unless an OOS school accepts me and OSU does not.

Lindsay did tell me to go back and take some upper-division courses, which is what I am doing this summer and fall (taking human anatomy/human dissection/mammology/molecular cell physiology/genetics). If I can score A's in these courses, it would raise my science GPA up to 3.1 - 3.14 (since I already have 138 credit hours).

Here are a few questions:
1) What could happen if I get my AACOMAS application/supplemental/letters of recommendation all submitted the first or second week of June when the new application cycle starts?
1) Would they wait to see these upcoming grades before considering an interview, or grant an interview, and wait-list me until they see my final grades for the fall semester?
2) Would a very well-written essay and letters of recommendation, along with my experience, be enough to help SLIGHTLY buffer my just above minimum science/overall GPAs?

Any and all input would be GREATLY appreciated. If anyone honestly thinks I still have a shot, please let me know:) You can be as brutally honest as possible, it won't hurt my feelings.

I would like to know what are my interview chances:

1) Science GPA (2.933)
2) Overall GPA (3.22)
3) MCAT (Vastly underestimated exam and received an incredibly low score (below 15), but scored a Q on the essays. I'm retaking it April 28th - in 3 weeks AGGHHHH)
4) Experience (5 years b/w two hospitals as a patient transporter/orderly, Post-Op/Recovery nurse assistant, Registration/Admissions clerk, and currently, a laboratory assistant)
5) Shadowed several D.O.s whom are all OSU alums that can write letters of recommendation for me
6) I have a strong desire to practice rural medicine here in Oklahoma. All my family lives here and I have no interest in moving away, unless an OOS school accepts me and OSU does not.

Lindsay did tell me to go back and take some upper-division courses, which is what I am doing this summer and fall (taking human anatomy/human dissection/mammology/molecular cell physiology/genetics). If I can score A's in these courses, it would raise my science GPA up to 3.1 - 3.14 (since I already have 138 credit hours).

Here are a few questions:
1) What could happen if I get my AACOMAS application/supplemental/letters of recommendation all submitted the first or second week of June when the new application cycle starts?
1) Would they wait to see these upcoming grades before considering an interview, or grant an interview, and wait-list me until they see my final grades for the fall semester?
2) Would a very well-written essay and letters of recommendation, along with my experience, be enough to help SLIGHTLY buffer my just above minimum science/overall GPAs?

Any and all input would be GREATLY appreciated. If anyone honestly thinks I still have a shot, please let me know:) You can be as brutally honest as possible, it won't hurt my feelings.

Your chances for an interview are all based on your MCAT score coming up. With a less than 15, I don't think that even makes the minimum for the bridge program. A 21 is the minimum for the regular program. I will tell you from my experience (3rd year applying, 2nd time waitlist currently, the low GPA and very low MCAT are going to keep you out. I have a masters degree in exercise science/physiology, taught at OU as a full time adjunct professor in health and sciences, graduate teaching of physiology courses, tons of research experience, multiple published papers in MSSE, Arthroscopy. SMAR, and advanced orthopedic procedures books, excellent LOR's, and interviews at OSU. All of that stuff does help slightly, but I can tell you most of the weight is placed on your MCAT and GPA to get in the door. If you clear that hurdle, then your experience will shine, but until then you're there, you're just another low number.

They recommended the same thing to me to take upper division science again, which I took Biochem. I'm also taking the MCAT May 19th and shooting for a 27-30 to try and clear this hurdle.

For yourself, I would definitely take the courses Lindsey recommended, but you really need to focus on your MCAT score. If you're not making competitive scores on the AAMC practice exams, especially #10 and #11, I would delay and wait to take it until you are ready. Yes, OSU is not as score based as say OU, but they still put a lot of weight on it if you have scores like you and me. You can apply as early as you want, but you won't be considered for an interview until you meet the minimums for MCAT and GPA. I applied early but didn't interview until February both times. My MCAT hit the minimum, but is simply not competitive enough.

This of course is my perspective and you should definitely communicate with Lindsey, but I would recommend you prepare for your MCAT as priority. Once you have a competitive score (ave. at OSU is ~9; 27), then apply and take the courses while you wait on interviews/acceptances. As for the courses, if you delay the MCAT, take whatever courses you identify as weak on the MCAT.

Good luck and don't give up!

Thank you so much for your input. The MCAT is definitely the deciding factor and, unfortunately, is one of the aspects of the application process that is trivial, since you don't know what to expect, roughly. I do know that I will not even remotely score as low as I did the first time as I will on this upcoming exam. The below 15 MCAT score was from back in August of 2010. I have been studying since mid-January for the April 28th exam. I can tell you I am more prepared now than I was the first time I took it, but I am worried because I am averaging 21-24 on the AAMC practice exams. I pretty much have to take it in three weeks and cross my fingers and pray for a 27-30. My wife will kill me if I reschedule it again. I'm averaging PS (6-7) VR (7-8) BS(7-8). I pulled out the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Physical Sciences book and now I am no longer scared of the physical science (physics) calculations thank God! I just hope I do not run out of time since things are starting to click. I tried to adhere to the Berkeley Review material, but I think it just went too in depth and I feel I have lost precious time. Now I am scrambling to get my section scores up +3 points in three weeks :(

Thank you so much for your input. The MCAT is definitely the deciding factor and, unfortunately, is one of the aspects of the application process that is trivial, since you don't know what to expect, roughly. I do know that I will not even remotely score as low as I did the first time as I will on this upcoming exam. The below 15 MCAT score was from back in August of 2010. I have been studying since mid-January for the April 28th exam. I can tell you I am more prepared now than I was the first time I took it, but I am worried because I am averaging 21-24 on the AAMC practice exams. I pretty much have to take it in three weeks and cross my fingers and pray for a 27-30. My wife will kill me if I reschedule it again. I'm averaging PS (6-7) VR (7-8) BS(7-8). I pulled out the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Physical Sciences book and now I am no longer scared of the physical science (physics) calculations thank God! I just hope I do not run out of time since things are starting to click. I tried to adhere to the Berkeley Review material, but I think it just went too in depth and I feel I have lost precious time. Now I am scrambling to get my section scores up +3 points in three weeks :(
Keep this in mind - you may think the MCAT is trivial, but admissions committees do not think so. You can spend all day complaining and fighting the test, but that won't raise your score. Think of the MCAT as an opportunity to shine and show schools that you are a more capable student that your GPA would suggest. If you do not do as well as you need on your next exam, I suggest a Kaplan course. It is expensive and it takes a lot of time, but your score is going to keep you out of medical school otherwise. At least sign up for the online materials so that you have access to the 11 full length tests that are available. You can absolutely be prepared for the test. You can know the question format and get a really good idea of what kind of questions will be asked when you become familiar. That, of course, isn't something you can do in three weeks - it requires devoting weekends to taking a full length MCAT and then reveiwing the whole damn thing.

It's ok if you have to sit out another application cycle. Spend the time required to make yourself the best applicant you can.

Here are the materials I have used the past three months:
1) All 11 AAMC Practice Exams
2) Complete Berkeley Review Study Package
3) Complete Princeton Review Hyperlearning Course Material (did not take actual class)
4) Complete Examkrackers Study package w/ the 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning
4) A bunch of Kaplan diagnostic exams

I have used mostly the Berkeley Review because they were highly recommended, but I think I have lost time since I found that 1/2 to 3/4 of their material was too specific. As I started taking the AAMC practice exams about a month ago, I found they were questions were easier and I started to see a trend in their preferred topics, like waves, respiration from a physics and bio standpoint, voltaic cells, capacitors/circuits. I hope I am not being lead astray, but I am now feeling confident. I just hope it is not too late with the exam being two weeks away from this Saturday.

Here are the materials I have used the past three months:
1) All 11 AAMC Practice Exams
2) Complete Berkeley Review Study Package
3) Complete Princeton Review Hyperlearning Course Material (did not take actual class)
4) Complete Examkrackers Study package w/ the 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning
4) A bunch of Kaplan diagnostic exams

I have used mostly the Berkeley Review because they were highly recommended, but I think I have lost time since I found that 1/2 to 3/4 of their material was too specific. As I started taking the AAMC practice exams about a month ago, I found they were questions were easier and I started to see a trend in their preferred topics, like waves, respiration from a physics and bio standpoint, voltaic cells, capacitors/circuits. I hope I am not being lead astray, but I am now feeling confident. I just hope it is not too late with the exam being two weeks away from this Saturday.
I can not recommend ***********.com highly enough. Yes my name is Chad and the instructor in the videos name is Chad, but I can promise you it is not me. He breaks down the topics covered on the MCAT it is great. I had not taken physics or chemistry in 17 YEARS and I was able to relearn the material to do well on the MCAT. I did put in a tremendous amount of time, so the determination has to be there.

I can not recommend ***********.com highly enough. Yes my name is Chad and the instructor in the videos name is Chad, but I can promise you it is not me. He breaks down the topics covered on the MCAT it is great. I had not taken physics or chemistry in 17 YEARS and I was able to relearn the material to do well on the MCAT. I did put in a tremendous amount of time, so the determination has to be there.
*********.com ???? Please enlighten me :) :)

Any idea of how many openings there are or how many are on the waitlist?