General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, an interview scheduled for the first weekend in December. Also I sent in my application maybe the 15th of September or around there!
I received an email from Reine who cross checks the pre-req classes saying I’d still have to take another developmental class to fulfill my pre-req. I haven’t heard anything after that so I’m not sure about where I stand. I emailed her and she hasn’t responded, which sucks because I applied mid- September.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emails were sent out for those of you who applied to Texas women’s!

Anyone applying to the UPitt early decision? The deadline is tomorrow 11/1

Do you guys know if skype/zoom interviews are frowned upon or if on-campus interviews are preferred? I am worried about getting interviews out of state and not being able to travel at the moment because I am still in school. Any thoughts?

Do you guys know if skype/zoom interviews are frowned upon or if on-campus interviews are preferred? I am worried about getting interviews out of state and not being able to travel at the moment because I am still in school. Any thoughts?
You can only ask them. If they cannot accomodate you, then you can schedule at their latest interview date. Just choose the schools you REALLY want to avoid heartache.

Reactions: 1 user

It totally depends on the school. Salus University and Messiah University were both extremely accommodating and willing to give me a Skype interview. I even asked if it would have any bearing on my interview and they said, "Not at all. We understand that this is short notice and we don't want to be a financial burden on anyone." I actually received an acceptance to Salus University! On the other hand, I received an invite to interview with Texas Women's in 2 weeks...I asked for an accommodation and they responded, "We stated on OTCAS what the requirements are. We cannot issue any accommodations."

But it says a lot about the nature of the school. Some have a "You're lucky we're even offering you a spot" attitude and some have a "We're so glad you're considering us!" attitude.

Reactions: 1 users
You can only ask them. If they cannot accomodate you, then you can schedule at their latest interview date. Just choose the schools you REALLY want to avoid heartache.
Thanks! And what do you mean by choosing schools "you really want to avoid heartache" ?

It totally depends on the school. Salus University and Messiah University were both extremely accommodating and willing to give me a Skype interview. I even asked if it would have any bearing on my interview and they said, "Not at all. We understand that this is short notice and we don't want to be a financial burden on anyone." I actually received an acceptance to Salus University! On the other hand, I received an invite to interview with Texas Women's in 2 weeks...I asked for an accommodation and they responded, "We stated on OTCAS what the requirements are. We cannot issue any accommodations."

But it says a lot about the nature of the school. Some have a "You're lucky we're even offering you a spot" attitude and some have a "We're so glad you're considering us!" attitude.
Thanks! I reached out to the school and they said virtual interviews are not penalized because they understand travel can be difficult. So you think online is still good, and did you feel like you were able to sell yourself/give the program a good insight of who you are online? Yeah I'm also thinking is the money really worth a short interview. Ah so much to consider!

Thanks! And what do you mean by choosing schools "you really want to avoid heartache" ?
Pick schools that are your top choices. It can feel tempting to answer to every school that contacts you.

I don't graduate until May but I will have all my prereqs done before the term starts. Will they throw mine out to? What other schools did you apply to ?? I don't want to waste money on the application if they're not even going to consider it lol

Since the program deadline is in march, you have to have your bachelor's degree by then. I thought it just meant I had to have my prereqs done and then show proof of degree by the start of the program. If you are not receiving your degree until May they will throw out your application. They kept my application for their doctorate program, but are not reviewing it until May. I wish I would not have applied because I wasted money and since its rolling admissions my chances are getting in are not high :(

I also applied to:
-University of Southern California
-Stanbridge University
-Dominican University
-University of Illinois at Chicago
-Elmhurst College

I am feeling very anxious because WCU was my safe school and all of the other programs I applied to have low admission rates. Where else did you apply? Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they’re throwing out my app too
:( my school renamed our Abnormal Psych class to Clinical Psych and now WCU won’t accept it even though it’s the exact same class. Good luck with gene rest of your applications!
Thank you! Best of luck to you as well. Where else are you applying?

Since the program deadline is in march, you have to have your bachelor's degree by then. I thought it just meant I had to have my prereqs done and then show proof of degree by the start of the program. If you are not receiving your degree until May they will throw out your application. They kept my application for their doctorate program, but are not reviewing it until May. I wish I would not have applied because I wasted money and since its rolling admissions my chances are getting in are not high :(

I also applied to:
-University of Southern California
-Stanbridge University
-Dominican University
-University of Illinois at Chicago
-Elmhurst College

I am feeling very anxious because WCU was my safe school and all of the other programs I applied to have low admission rates. Where else did you apply? Goodluck!
I totally agree! supper stressed out! I applied to 8 different programs
-USC
-stanbridge
- West Coast
- Dominican
- St. Augustine (San Marcos)
- Midwestern (Arizona)
- Hofstra (New York)
- Salus (Pennsylvania)

-USC
-stanbridge
- West Coast
- Dominican
- Midwestern (Arizona)
- Hofstra (New York)
- Salus (Pennsylvania)
i'm also applying to St Augustine san Marcos, USC and west coast university.it doesn't seem like west coast university care much about GRE?

Hi guys! This is my first time applying..I have very "Average" stats so I'm pretty nervous as to how this cycle will go for me.

Major: Exercise Movement and Science
GPA: 3.49
GRE: 152V 148Q 4.0W

Observation Hours: 80 total in school, hand therapy, acute care and in home health settings

Extracurriculars: Intramural soccer, sorority (part of the community service committee and philanthropy committee), Club soccer ( made it to Nationals), honors fraternity, Animals Rights Club, Recreational Outdoor Club, participated in a health and wellness fair for low income communities, studied abroad, anatomy TA, etc.

Volunteer: Doctors Without Borders, Arc of the Ozark, Rivendale school for children with disabilities, Ronald McDonald House, Wreath layer for veteran cemeteries, Girls on the Run, Friends Against Hunger, Walk to End Alzheimers, Backstoppers

Employment: Babysitting, entrepreneur for a small crafting business while in school, Behavioral Tech, and Horse Handler

Certifications: Certified Exercise Physiologist, Registered Behavioral Tech, and CPR/AED

LOR: 1 OT, 1 employer, 1 Professor from a special ed course, 1 from my department head from my university, and 1 from a volunteer organization's leader (Backstoppers)

Applying: Maryville University in STL, Wash U, Mizzou, Missouri State University, and Cox College

Acceptances:

Interviews: Mizzou (11/18)

Rejections:

Hey! Did you hear anything from Maryville after you turned in your applications? All of the schools I applied to sent me an email back saying they had received my application, but not them. Maybe that is just how they do things!

I have an interview at the St. Augustine campus tomorrow!! Sending good vibes your way!!
Thanks for the positive vibes. I got into St. Augustine for the Summer 2020 cohort! What cohort are you applying for?

Thanks for the positive vibes. I got into St. Augustine for the Summer 2020 cohort! What cohort are you applying for?
Congrats on your acceptance!! May I ask how your interview went? I have mine next week!

Hi otdreamer2727,

Big congratulations on your acceptance to Salus! That's amazing! I'm looking forward to applying to their program as well. Would you be able to share your stats, as I would like to see my chances for even getting an interview :)

- PepperOT

I interviewed with Salus at the end of September and received an acceptance email about a week and a half later. They are very quick which I think is a big plus! The interview itself was so great, very low-key. Everyone was very nice and I felt very comfortable. It’s basically a tour, an overview by the department head, and then two one-on-one’s. What I also loved was that the interview with the OT faculty is blind, so they have no idea what your GPA is or how many settings you’ve observed. They’re just trying to get to know YOU and whether or not you’d made a good OT. Good luck!

Hi lbrown,

So amazing that you were accepted to Salus! That is one of my top schools, so I'm excited to apply. Would you mind sharing your stats? I would like to know my chances of even receiving an interview :)

- PepperOT

Hey! Did you hear anything from Maryville after you turned in your applications? All of the schools I applied to sent me an email back saying they had received my application, but not them. Maybe that is just how they do things!

I emailed them to confirm they had received my application! I do not believe they email applicants when they have received the materials like other programs do!

I emailed them to confirm they had received my application! I do not believe they email applicants when they have received the materials like other programs do!
Oh ok, did they email you back and say they had?

Hi otdreamer2727,

Big congratulations on your acceptance to Salus! That's amazing! I'm looking forward to applying to their program as well. Would you be able to share your stats, as I would like to see my chances for even getting an interview :)

- PepperOT
University: California State University Northridge
Major: Child Development
Overall GPA: 3.76
Pre-Req GPA: not sure, As and Bs
GRE: 154 quant, 159 verbal, 4 W

Extra:
3 month internship in Uganda working with kids with special needs, also did some OT shadowing here
4 years as preschool teacher
volunteer with local group for adults with special needs
volunteer with organization fighting human trafficking

Shadow
90 hrs peds
15 hand
30 acute in patient
15 adult out patient

-USC
-stanbridge
- West Coast
- Dominican
- Midwestern (Arizona)
- Hofstra (New York)
- Salus (Pennsylvania)

Let me know how everything goes! Maybe we will end up in the same program :)

Let me know how everything goes! Maybe we will end up in the same program :)
Got rejected from West Coast because of the graduation deadline! still waiting to hear back from the others!

Anyone applying to these schools' MSOT programs: Loma Linda University (LLU), Cal State Dominguez Hills (CSUDH), USC, San Jose State University (SJSU)?

I applied to CSUDH a month ago but haven't heard back yet! I'm not sure if they're doing interviews this year and if getting an interview is a good sign or not.

Also, I have my interview for Loma Linda University today :) Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I applied to SJSU and CSUDH and haven't heard anything yet. Good luck on all your applications!

Hi! Has anyone applied to the same schools as me? I applied to Samuel Merrit, SJSU, CSUDH, Dominican, stanbridge, and west coast.
Has anyone heard back from Samuel merrit and domincian?

Hi lbrown,

So amazing that you were accepted to Salus! That is one of my top schools, so I'm excited to apply. Would you mind sharing your stats? I would like to know my chances of even receiving an interview :)

- PepperOT

Sure! They really are statistically average, IMO. Your chances are high as long as they still have spots open, which I'm sure they do since it's still early.

Undergrad school: BYU-Idaho
Major: General Studies
Minor: Child Development
Cumulative GPA: 3.3 (last 60 credits: 3.7)
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 153Q 156V 4.5AWA
LOR: 1 professor, 2 OT’s
Observation hours: 100 total in hand therapy, adult neuro, pediatric outpatient, in-school setting, SNF, hippotherapy
Experiences/volunteer: owned and operated a home-based preschool (non-traditional student here!), aide for my elderly grandma, taught children and youth for 7+ years in an ecclesiastical setting, volunteered at local hippotherapy center for those with special needs.

Applied: Salus, Moravian, Shenandoah, AT Still, TWU, St. Augustine (Austin), Missouri State, Pace

Interviews: Salus (9/23), St. Augustine (10/25), Moravian (10/31), TWU (11/22)

Acceptances: Salus (10/3), St. Augustine (10/30), Moravian (11/7)

Rejections: N/A

Oh ok, did they email you back and say they had?
Yes, they answered pretty quickly! She did tell me they had not received my GRE, so I would definitely email them to make sure they did receive all your materials! I waited almost 3 weeks for an email before sending one, and that could have been 3 weeks sooner they would have viewed my app :/

Congrats on your acceptance!! May I ask how your interview went? I have mine next week!
The interview was very laid back. I was assigned to a very nice professor and the other person I interviewed with was nice too. Nothing to be worried about just take a few deep breaths! Good luck!

Sure! They really are statistically average, IMO. Your chances are high as long as they still have spots open, which I'm sure they do since it's still early.

Observation hours: 100 total in hand therapy, adult neuro, pediatric outpatient, in-school setting, SNF, hippotherapy
Experiences/volunteer: owned and operated a home-based preschool (non-traditional student here!), aide for my elderly grandma, taught children and youth for 7+ years in an ecclesiastical setting, volunteered at local hippotherapy center for those with special needs.

Applied: Salus, Moravian, Shenandoah, AT Still, TWU, St. Augustine (Austin), Missouri State, Pace

Hey I also got into St. Augustine! Can I ask what cohort your applied for? I applied for the Spring start in May.

Im currently applying to schools, and im super nervous because one school threw out my application because I am in the process of completing the A&P requirements. I did Anatomy at my first school and got a B- (not great, but its something). How badly will this hurt my application? Im really nervous that because my stats are exceedingly average (3.22 cum, 305 gre) that I wont even be considered due to these pre reqs still in process

Im currently applying to schools, and im super nervous because one school threw out my application because I am in the process of completing the A&P requirements. I did Anatomy at my first school and got a B- (not great, but its something). How badly will this hurt my application? Im really nervous that because my stats are exceedingly average (3.22 cum, 305 gre) that I wont even be considered due to these pre reqs still in process

My prereq GPA after OTCAS calculated it was 3.25, and I applied to 6 schools, got into 2 so far, and got interview requests for another 2. Your GRE is pretty good too because anything above a 300 looks solid to most schools. Kill your essay and make sure you get great letters of rec and have a variety of hours that you can speak about and you should be on track!

Hey I also got into St. Augustine! Can I ask what cohort your applied for? I applied for the Spring start in May.

Fall 2020, but I'm leaning towards other options. Loved the campus though!

Hey! Will you be attending Salus?

Yes, they answered pretty quickly! She did tell me they had not received my GRE, so I would definitely email them to make sure they did receive all your materials! I waited almost 3 weeks for an email before sending one, and that could have been 3 weeks sooner they would have viewed my app :/
Oh, very weird. What email did you send it too? I can't seem to find one on their website

My prereq GPA after OTCAS calculated it was 3.25, and I applied to 6 schools, got into 2 so far, and got interview requests for another 2. Your GRE is pretty good too because anything above a 300 looks solid to most schools. Kill your essay and make sure you get great letters of rec and have a variety of hours that you can speak about and you should be on track!

What schools have you applied to? im also curious how long it should take for me to hear back from all these schools? Ive applied to a couple, a week ago, and have gotten confirmation emails, but nothing else.

Thanks!

What schools have you applied to? im also curious how long it should take for me to hear back from all these schools? Ive applied to a couple, a week ago, and have gotten confirmation emails, but nothing else.

Thanks!

I applied to Usciences, TJU, Salus, Clarkson, Le Moyne, and St Augustine. I was accepted to Salus and Usciences, got interviews to Clarkson and Le Moyne, and haven't heard back from the last 2! I also applied in July, so it might take longer for you to hear back if you only applied a week ago!

Hi! Has anyone applied to the same schools as me? I applied to Samuel Merrit, SJSU, CSUDH, Dominican, stanbridge, and west coast.
hey! I applied to CSUDH, and am applying to USC West coast and St. Augustine. when I applied to CSUDH my GRE was a 144 verbal and 1400 quant, so i'm pretty nervous about that /: I applied anyways bc my other stats and experiences are up there. But I just retook the GRE and got a combined 294 which i'm satisfied with. i bumped it up 10 points.

I applied to Usciences, TJU, Salus, Clarkson, Le Moyne, and St Augustine. I was accepted to Salus and Usciences, got interviews to Clarkson and Le Moyne, and haven't heard back from the last 2! I also applied in July, so it might take longer for you to hear back if you only applied a week ago!
Hi! Congrats on your acceptances to Salus and USciences! I am looking forward to applying to Salus in a few weeks. Do you mind sharing your stats? I would like to see if there's a chance for me to get an interview :)

- PepperOT

hey! I applied to CSUDH, and am applying to USC West coast and St. Augustine. when I applied to CSUDH my GRE was a 144 verbal and 1400 quant, so i'm pretty nervous about that /: I applied anyways bc my other stats and experiences are up there. But I just retook the GRE and got a combined 294 which i'm satisfied with. i bumped it up 10 points.

Oh good luck with everything! Maybe we'll end up in the same cohort somewhere
I have an interview with west coast but havent heard back form anyone else

Hi! Congrats on your acceptances to Salus and USciences! I am looking forward to applying to Salus in a few weeks. Do you mind sharing your stats? I would like to see if there's a chance for me to get an interview :)

- PepperOT

Thank you so much, and good luck to you!
My stats were
cgpa: 3.25
GRE: 163V, 153Q, 5 writing
Total of 350~ hours at school for children with disabilities, pediatrics, hand therapy, geriatrics, and outpatient OT

I applied to Dominican, Standbridge and West Coast!

I havent heard anything from Dominican. My application got thrown out of West Coast because of the graduation deadline. I received a call the other day for an interview at Stanbridge.

I hope you hear from Dominican and Samuel Merrit soon!

Has anyone gotten a call for the interview at Stanbridge for December 6th?

Ahh thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I hear back soon!

Submit my applications yesterday. I didn’t send in my GRE score with a specific OTCAS code, I just input the school. Would they still arrive or do I have to pay now to send them again? My application status says “Complete” so I’m unsure.