Pacific Northwest (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlisted :(
I'm surprised at the number of people on here saying they were waitlisted...but then again, I guess it's no surprise that they didn't have very many spots left.

Members don't see this ad.

Well Hope did say do not be shocked by being on the Waitlist as they planned on taking a lot of people off the waitlist. I hope that is still true.

Denied. I don't know why. I felt good about the MMI's. I have great stats. I guess they just didn't think I'd be a good fit. 60 people interviewed that day, that was a little intimidating. Best wishes everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but I recieved an email from Hope saying that for all upcoming interviews they are only going to give out waitlist or denials and then rank in May. I am canceling my interview on the 8th so there should be an available spot.

Wow ... that sounds like a waste of going to an interview for a possible Waitlist.

Wow ... that sounds like a waste of going to an interview for a possible Waitlist.

Definitely don't look at it as a waste of time. Waitlists move a lot. For my class, almost a third of the class filled off of it. Furthermore, last year there were deferred acceptances, which means that you are automatically accepted for the following year's incoming class. Better an acceptance than another year of applications and the stress of uncertainty. Therefore, attending the interview is definitely worthwhile.

Wow that does sound promising. Well here's hoping we get waitlist calls sooner then later

I interviewed on March 8th in the afternoon and was offerred the deferred acceptance to next years class. :)

On interview day they said with deferred acceptance they may call you if a seat opens. You get to decide if you want it or not; regardless you have a seat next year.

Do you have a link to either of these programs in Oregon or Washington? Did some searching but all I found was that the Oregon program was not funded this year and nothing on Washington, probably looking at the wrong thing though. Thanks.

Northwest Osteopathic Foundation , (provides loans and scholarships for students in the pacific northwest not just oregonand WOMA( washington Osteopathic Foundation Scholarships).

Interviewing same day! But definitely not from Seattle...more like Dallas for me. SO nervous!!

Anyone here interviewing on April 12?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if any current students can comments on the "climate" of the student population. Are students generally happy? Is it a work hard and play hard kind of feel? Or are people generally just stressed out all the time? I understand that no matter what, there will be some stress floating in the air because that's what medical school is, but are most people able to achieve that balance?

When I interviewed, the couple of students I talked to seemed like they were having trouble keeping their heads above water, were exhausted, and on the verge of tears.

Interviewing on Friday. Any suggestions? I haven't done the MMI format before. Should be exciting...

I'm wondering if any current students can comments on the "climate" of the student population. Are students generally happy? Is it a work hard and play hard kind of feel? Or are people generally just stressed out all the time? I understand that no matter what, there will be some stress floating in the air because that's what medical school is, but are most people able to achieve that balance?

When I interviewed, the couple of students I talked to seemed like they were having trouble keeping their heads above water, were exhausted, and on the verge of tears.

There are definitely people who are perpetually stressed out and seem to barely be able to keep eir heads above water, but my impression is that they are the exception to the rule. Most students seem to have a work-play balance that works for them. Balance does not mean equal time, but it does mean just enough play to handle the work.

"Happy" is a tougher concept. You will make a ton of sacrifices in medical school. You will lose most of your extracurricular time, and family will be something that you may be fortunate enough to have 12-24 hours a week with. However, if you keep the goal in mind and makesure to take time for yourself and those who are important to you, you can be happy.

Interviewing on Friday. Any suggestions? I haven't done the MMI format before. Should be exciting...

When it comes to the MMI, there is one simple rule. Be yourself. If you are interviewing, then the school has already decided that you are someone who can handle the academics and are someone who has something to offer the school in terms of your background. The MMI is about seeing if you will fit in and thrive with the other personalities.

If you come in acting like someone you are not, then either they will pick up on that and hand you a rejection or two things will happen. First, you will get here next year and not fit in with your classmates, which will make medical school just about the worst experience of your life. And, you will be that student that faculty, staff, and administrators are thinking about when they talk about the few students who manage to slip through the cracks to gain an acceptance they should not have.

So, again, just be yourself. That way, if you get in, you will know you belong here. And if you don't, then you know you would not have been happy here anyway.

If you come in acting like someone you are not, then either they will pick up on that and hand you a rejection or two things will happen. First, you will get here next year and not fit in with your classmates, which will make medical school just about the worst experience of your life. And, you will be that student that faculty, staff, and administrators are thinking about when they talk about the few students who manage to slip through the cracks to gain an acceptance they should not have.

So, again, just be yourself. That way, if you get in, you will know you belong here. And if you don't, then you know you would not have been happy here anyway.

Thanks!

When it comes to the MMI, there is one simple rule. Be yourself. If you are interviewing, then the school has already decided that you are someone who can handle the academics and are someone who has something to offer the school in terms of your background. The MMI is about seeing if you will fit in and thrive with the other personalities.

Thanks for the insight! Hopefully I'll be able to achieve that balance as well :)

There are definitely people who are perpetually stressed out and seem to barely be able to keep eir heads above water, but my impression is that they are the exception to the rule. Most students seem to have a work-play balance that works for them. Balance does not mean equal time, but it does mean just enough play to handle the work.

"Happy" is a tougher concept. You will make a ton of sacrifices in medical school. You will lose most of your extracurricular time, and family will be something that you may be fortunate enough to have 12-24 hours a week with. However, if you keep the goal in mind and makesure to take time for yourself and those who are important to you, you can be happy.
Thanks for the insight! Hopefully I'll be able to find that balance :)

You may be giving the MMI, and the interview process in general, far too much credit. Interviews are (almost by definition) a stressful and artificial atmosphere. Everyone is on their best behavior and trying to impress. You can't extrapolate it to suggest whether someone will or won't fit in with their peers. That's really for the applicant to decide because they know themselves best.

Furthermore, although it's possible that some petty administrators might sit around and talk about who doesn't belong, it would be foolish of them to point to just this one interviewing metric as the cause. In a class of over 100 students, I would hope they'd have better things to do than try to snoop into who is and isn't the best at socializing.

I interviewed on March 8 and we were told beforehand that there were no spots available and that they would only be offering wait listed spots. To my surprise, I got a call the following week offering me acceptance. The wait list shifts a lot!

Hey guys!

Just declined my offer so there will be at least one more seat opening up.

While everyone that interviewed today is waiting for their acceptance phone calls, does anyone know if we need to fill in parental information on the FAFSA? I've been married and on my own for the past six years, won't be getting any assistance from my parents and living off loans.

While everyone that interviewed today is waiting for their acceptance phone calls, does anyone know if we need to fill in parental information on the FAFSA? I've been married and on my own for the past six years, won't be getting any assistance from my parents and living off loans.

You don't need to fill in parental information. The financial packet is mostly calculated on a school by school basis. The number that this posted after your fasfa is processed is also inaccurate. Fill out the application and wait for the school to give you the financial aid package info.

You don't need to fill in parental information. The financial packet is mostly calculated on a school by school basis. The number that this posted after your fasfa is processed is also inaccurate. Fill out the application and wait for the school to give you the financial aid package info.

When do students normally receive the financial aid package info? I am a little worries about the amount listed on the confirmation!! :scared:

When do students normally receive the financial aid package info? I am a little worries about the amount listed on the confirmation!! :scared:

PNWU Said our financial aid offers won't come out until late April or may... I believe. I could have misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure that's what was said at one point. Basically the feeling that I'm getting is that the majority of our paper work will be processed toward the end of interviews which is April. Hope that helps. Don't worry because, this is graduate level loans they don't work the same way as undergrad financial aid.

Great! Where are you coming from? I'll be coming down from Vancouver, BC.

I live in Denver, CO! Where are you flying into? I'm landing in Portland and then renting a car. My brother lives in Hood River which is about 2 hours from Yakima.

I'm getting awfully anxious hoping and waiting for that call tonight! To those who interviewed on the 29 th, it was a pleasure to meet you all and look forward to working with you! Good luck!

Thank you! I called the financial aid office and they told me to qualify for some scholarships it might be beneficial to fill out the parental info. But like you said, for just the regular fin-aid, it isn't necessary.

Interviewed on the 29th. Just checked the website and it said deferred offer, 2014. Better than nothing, I guess.

Denied. I thought I did pretty well on interview day, so I gotta say I'm pretty surprised. :(

I interviewed on 3.8 and received a deferment. I got a call 2 days ago for an open seat! If you are still in that top waitlist, I would stay hopeful.

we also include this topic in the MMI interview format...
well should have quoted the topic..
we include material about student burnout/stress in medical school and how the candidate would handle such...what are thier coping mechanisms?
we want to make sure candidates know med school is NOT easy and to let them know we support them

Last edited:
Hey wait listers, I have been accepted to my top choice program and will be withdrawing my acceptance from pnwu. This is a great school and I've met some really cool people in this class but had to go with my heart and stay closer to home. Good luck to you all!

Interviewed 3/29, deferred offer. Got a call yesterday about an open seat! So excited! :)

Interviewed 3/29, deferred offer. Got a call yesterday about an open seat! So excited! :)

Congrats! We look forward to meeting you in the fall! Have a relaxing summer!

Congrats! We look forward to meeting you in the fall! Have a relaxing summer!
Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to beginning my med school journey and meeting my fellow students at PNWU!

When you guys graduate make sure you take your families on a tour right away before graduation. School said theyd keep our badges active over the weekend but immediately deactivated them the moment of graduation. Tad embarassing to bring your family on a tour after graduation and find out you cannot get into the building.