Pacific Northwest (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't but they did say even if you get waitlisted then it's a good sign because of the [potential] class increase in January. I think you can definately get excited about this.:thumbup:

Thanks! I'm just concerned cause I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected. Hopefully they get a class size increase approval:). Congrats again on your acceptance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Waitlisted as well. I hope we learn more about this waitlist business soon...

They said they'd send out rankings in May but if they get approved for a class size increase then they'd do it earlier. So I'm assuming they won't be pulling people off the waitlist anytime soon?

I think I may have been rejected, it says "deny-post interview" on the website. I'm pretty sure I'll be expecting a rejection letter. Yippee. Congrats to those accepted/waitlisted!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaah got the call around 5pm last night!!!! Six years of hardwork finally validated. What a feeling! So thankful this season as a new door has been opened. For those still applying or waiting to hear word, hang in there and don't give up HOPE. Remember, DELAY does not necessarily mean DENIAL. {{PNWU CLASS OF 2017!!!!}}

Don't forget to join the Facebook group!! Super excited to meet everyone next fall! :)

Just got an interview invite! Looks like the only available date is March 29th. Ouch.

Just got an interview invite! Looks like the only available date is March 29th. Ouch.

E-mail Hope and let her know that you would like an interview date earlier if one becomes available. I was originally offered dates in January and February and was able to get a November 10th interview.

when you login to your self-service account from the secondary website link.
And then you click application status.

at the end it says: Decision/Date
What does it mean if they wrote "Committee / 11/21/2012" ?

I did not get an email or response or phone call. :scared::scared::eek::eek:

Hey guys!

Thought I would finally join the conversation. Submitted the secondary last week (I know it's kinda late but I'm poor). Hoping to get an ii soon!

How long did it take between submitting secondary and ii?

when you login to your self-service account from the secondary website link.
And then you click application status.

at the end it says: Decision/Date
What does it mean if they wrote "Committee / 11/21/2012" ?

I did not get an email or response or phone call. :scared::scared::eek::eek:

I think it just means your file is complete and it's ready to be reviewed by the committee

Hey guys!

Thought I would finally join the conversation. Submitted the secondary last week (I know it's kinda late but I'm poor). Hoping to get an ii soon!

After I got a complete (a couple weeks? maybe...) it took a couple days. But it sounds like they don't many interview slots left...good luck!!

I think there are more than half of the matriculating spots still available.. it's still early in the interview cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

It took about a 3 weeks after my secondary before I heard about my ii.

Thanks for the info guys. Really interested in this school because I grew up in Washington and only left because of joining the Air Force. Very excited that I could fulfill my dream and move back close to home!

Hey y'all I submitted my secondary and was marked complete online 10/23. It's been over the 4 week time slot with no online update, should I call or are they just swamped with apps. I'm just super anxious:xf:

Hey y'all I submitted my secondary and was marked complete online 10/23. It's been over the 4 week time slot with no online update, should I call or are they just swamped with apps. I'm just super anxious:xf:

I was done 10/12, II 10/18. If they said it'll be 4 weeks, feel free to call Hope.

Cancelling an interview for this Friday. If you live close, you might call Hope and see if you can reschedule.

Hey guys! Super excited to apply this cycle, but how long after you send in your AACOMAS application did you receive your secondary? I'm trying to be patient but concerned. Thanks

Hey guys! Super excited to apply this cycle, but how long after you send in your AACOMAS application did you receive your secondary? I'm trying to be patient but concerned. Thanks

Took about two weeks... Then another three weeks for an interview. Good luck! If your stats are better than average you should be alright applying late in the cycle.

Anybody interviewing December 15? I am flying in from Miami on the 12th and staying until the 16th. If anybody else wants to meet up and explore Yakima a little, private message me. :)

Anybody interviewing December 15? I am flying in from Miami on the 12th and staying until the 16th. If anybody else wants to meet up and explore Yakima a little, private message me. :)
Best of luck to you with your interview! Did you mean Dec 14 though because I believe that's when mine is unless they also have interviews on Saturday ?

hey there guys, I interviewed last Friday and got in!!!! I will be attending. Group two for the win!

hey there guys, I interviewed last Friday and got in!!!! I will be attending. Group two for the win!

Congratulations!!! I was in group two with you and just got my offer as well. Group two was allot of really great people can't wait to get to know everyone even more.

Congratulations missdoctor8, SongSparrow, Doctor2be17, and Maester aemon!! Welcome to the class of 2017!!

The facebook class still needs to be created as far as I know. I'll look into creating it possibly this next weekend if nobody else has done it yet.

When will you make a decision as to matriculating at PNWU? :thumbup:

Yes a big congratulations to all who were accepted this far, I can't wait to get to know everyone! Class of 2017!

Class size has increased to 135. For those attending I suggest studying at home as their will not be room on campus.

They were talking about this when I interviewed in October. So its official now? That is going to make things tight for study space as it didn't seem like there was a ton of extra room to begin with.

Personally, I'm excited about this class size increase. It gives those of us on the waitlist a little bit of renewed hope. Congrats to the acceptances! I hope to join you soon :)

Class size increase was granted because of the lecture hall building as well as plans for repurposing current rooms for additional study spaces. there are also plans for changing how class size will affect anatomy, clinical skills and OPP.

Hello guys and gals,

I am arriving tomorrow evening in Yakima and will be in the area until Sunday morning. If anyone would like to meet up Wednesday night or Thursday during the day let me know. It'd be cool to go into the interview already familiar with a couple of faces.

email me: [email protected]

Thanks! :)

Class size has increased to 135. For those attending I suggest studying at home as their will not be room on campus.

There certainly will not be enough study rooms, but that's already an issue on many occasions. Studying at home is better anyway. You can have a beer and play video games when you take a break instead of talking to other students about how much they're studying for the blah blah blah...

Also, nice avatar. BOOM STICK!

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist?

Just got offers from COMP-northwest, PNWU, and Touro-CA, and would love input from the SDN community on different perspectives on the 3 schools...atmosphere, type of course structure, access to faculty+administration, etc...

Thanks!

Acceptance matriculation deposits were due this last week; I was told that the planning for the remainder of the interviews/ remaining spots will be solidified by January. If I'm not mistaken, last year they didnt rank the wait list until mid-late spring. Might be earlier this year with the class size growth. GL!

Just got offers from COMP-northwest, PNWU, and Touro-CA, and would love input from the SDN community on different perspectives on the 3 schools...atmosphere, type of course structure, access to faculty+administration, etc...

Thanks!

Hi, Red. Congratulations on your acceptance! PNWU has been a great experience for me so far. The atmosphere is very supportive and friendly, and both classmates and upperclassmen are happy to help out when you need it.

The course structure is not perfect yet, but the school is always working on improving the curriculum and is welcoming of ideas on how to improve.

Finally, the access to faculty and administration is superb. The professors work hard to know every student's name and the administration works closely with SGA in order to make sure that everything is running smoothly.

If there are any specific areas of concern, feel free to send me a message, and I will try to address the for you.

Interview on Jan. 11th! So excited!

I realize this is short notice but if anyone's in the area and wants a sooner interview slot, I recently withdrew from mine this Friday (1/11).

Interview went great! Those of us that were there today will know our fates Tuesday! Flying to KCUMB interview that day so I'm hoping to have a positive voicemail when I land : )

I am interviewing in Feb. Anyone visiting Yakima and PNWU, I have two suggestions for food: Miner's and Los Hernandez. These are two staple restaurants that help define Yakima. Miner's for their great burger and fries (was previewed on Food Network) and Los Hernandez for their tamales (try their asparagus tamales, sounds weird but trust me)...

Yay! Just got the call not 10 minutes ago! I guess PNWU really liked me! :love:

ACCEPTED!!!! Got the call earlier : )

Man, I can't believe my interview date was so far out. I sent in my secondary in August, got an II in October with an earliest date to interview being February 22nd. I requested to move it up, but they haven't contacted me. Frustrating to wait so long.

Man, I can't believe my interview date was so far out. I sent in my secondary in August, got an II in October with an earliest date to interview being February 22nd. I requested to move it up, but they haven't contacted me. Frustrating to wait so long.

Don't worry about the date being so far out. During the Jan. 11 interview, they only had 60-70 seats officially taken (that doesn't include those that will accept from the Jan. 11 interview... to include me). I cannot remember if there was any other interview days between the Jan. 11 interview and the February 22 interview. I would talk to Hope about moving up the date. That's what I did. I was originally scheduled for March 27th and got lucky and moved it up to Jan. 11. Just have to be very pro-active. But everyone on campus is nice and friendly so they'll try to work something out.

Don't worry about the date being so far out. During the Jan. 11 interview, they only had 60-70 seats officially taken (that doesn't include those that will accept from the Jan. 11 interview... to include me). I cannot remember if there was any other interview days between the Jan. 11 interview and the February 22 interview. I would talk to Hope about moving up the date. That's what I did. I was originally scheduled for March 27th and got lucky and moved it up to Jan. 11. Just have to be very pro-active. But everyone on campus is nice and friendly so they'll try to work something out.

That makes me feel better about things. I actually did speak with Hope over the phone about a week after I had scheduled the interview, but they didn't have any additional openings then. I've contacted since and still received a negatory on moving the interview up. Maybe it's because I'm OOS.

The other school I want to attend lets 90% of the interviewees know their status on the last day of March. It sounds like PNWU lets the students know pretty quickly after the interview. When, and how much, do they require a deposit?

That makes me feel better about things. I actually did speak with Hope over the phone about a week after I had scheduled the interview, but they didn't have any additional openings then. I've contacted since and still received a negatory on moving the interview up. Maybe it's because I'm OOS.

The other school I want to attend lets 90% of the interviewees know their status on the last day of March. It sounds like PNWU lets the students know pretty quickly after the interview. When, and how much, do they require a deposit?

Don't worry about the OOS. Last year they didn't send secondary applications to OOS until a certain date. This year, they removed that stipulation because they predicted an increase in class size. With that increase, they were predicting a greater difficulty filling the seats if they left up the stipulation. Additionally, most of us that interviewed on Jan. 11 were OOS also. I too am OOS. The only thing they are looking for is some tie to the Pacific Northwest. But even that is up to debate since their new goal is to bring more physicians to the PNW while retaining resident PNW candidates.

To address your other concern, the admissions committee at PNWU usually meets the following week of an interview to discuss candidates from the interview and, this year, to discuss the wait listed candidates. You will get a call that night if you are accepted. If not, you will have to check on-line. Last year, they had a scheduling issue and had to meet on the Friday after my interview. So that Friday (and eventually the rest of the spring time), I spent the whole spring just refreshing the website, since I didn't get the call. This year, they didn't have any scheduling issues so the committee met early in the week. It wasn't much after their scheduled meeting when I got my phone call.

Again, don't worry about the OOS. Just have fun with the interview process and explore the city of Yakima. There are certain parts you should avoid, like any other city, but if you stay close to the freeway, you are pretty safe.

Last thing, they require a $1000 deposit. I don't know how long after your interview it is due, but mine is due at the end of January (i.e., 2 weeks).

During my interview, they mentioned that they will be looking at the waitlist during every admissions meeting. If this is the school you really want to go to, I'd send a letter of intent. If not, I would just hope they rank you high on the waitlist when they rank it (Early Summer last year). I, sadly, was never ranked last year.

ANY LAST MINUTE HELPFUL HINTS REGARDING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS AT PNWU? ANY FIELDS THAT I SHOULD REALLY FOCUS ON? :confused: