Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious - for everyone thats gone through documentation stuff already - have they uploaded your drug test and cbc to e-value yet? They've gone through my vaccination stuff, and my drug screen, but not my cbc (which I have the copy of as well - so I know it came back a while ago)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious - for everyone thats gone through documentation stuff already - have they uploaded your drug test and cbc to e-value yet? They've gone through my vaccination stuff, and my drug screen, but not my cbc (which I have the copy of as well - so I know it came back a while ago)

I thought we were suposed to upload our vaccine stuff

I thought we were suposed to upload our vaccine stuff

You upload it to the very first line - then enter dates on the individual lines. Then someone had to go through and verify, which turns the lines green from pending orange. Then they are the ones that upload the drug screen and CBC

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved my experience at PNWU, but will be withdrawing due to another acceptance. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
To current students...

Quick question. Would an 11 inch macbook air and a 12.9 inch iPad pro be enough for school, or do I really need a new computer for this fall?

I read the laptop requirements and it seems the school requires i have a 13 inch computer...

What do you think?

To current students...

Quick question. Would an 11 inch macbook air and a 12.9 inch iPad pro be enough for school, or do I really need a new computer for this fall?

I read the laptop requirements and it seems the school requires i have a 13 inch computer...

What do you think?
I don't see why that would be a problem...and they provide you with a new iPad (which in your case is actually a step down), and they recommend you keep them separate so you have a med school one and a personal one - at least that was the advice given during my interview when someone asked about it

To current students...

What do you think?

Your laptop and Ipad should be fine. There really isn't a reason to upgrade unless you feel like your computer is dying. The only real requirement for the laptop is it should be able to run the program to take quizzes and exams with. Besides that, it doesn't really matter the size of the screen. They have started to let us use our ipads to take the exams now so you shouldn't need anything else.

To current students...

What do you think?
Hey there! So I'm a current student rocking an 11" Air and it is entirely fine. Also, they're going to hook you up with a new iPad anyway, so no need to worry about that.

Hey there! For anyone coming to Open House on April 8, I'm going to make a shameless plug for the 5k Fun Run and Walk that starts and finishes right in front of the school at 8:00am on April 8 as well. It's an event organized entirely by students and we raise money for a local charity- this year it is Northwest Harvest for their efforts to combat food insecurity in school age children. So, if you want to get up a bit earlier that day, meet some current students and get an intro to the PNWU/Yakima community, register here: Run for Your Life 5k 2017 You don't have to be an Olympian to participate- in fact many people walk or just jog it. We also do have a Facebook Page- "PNWU Students' Run for Your Life 5k Fun Run and Walk" and a website- www.RFYL5k.org Alright, have a swell day!

I have an ipad pro as well, is it possible to have the textbooks that are put onto the ipad they provide us onto my ipad pro?

Members don't see this ad :)
It says in the instructions that they school will upload the drug and cbc. They have verified my drug test but not my CBC and I know they got it because they called me about it. So, they are probably just taking awhile to verify everyone's stuff.

It says in the instructions that they school will upload the drug and cbc. They have verified my drug test but not my CBC and I know they got it because they called me about it. So, they are probably just taking awhile to verify everyone's stuff.

From the FB page it looks like most people who have had them done have had the drug screen posted but not the CBC, so yeah looks like whomever is supposed to put the CBC into e-value is just behind

I have an ipad pro as well, is it possible to have the textbooks that are put onto the ipad they provide us onto my ipad pro?

I'm pretty sure that you can do that since all the textbooks are linked to an account they give you, you can just download the app onto your ipad and open the books from there. There is a limit of 2 devices that is recognized at a time using the app so you will have to go into your account and delete one of your recognized devices if you happen to try to log onto a 3rd device.

Hey everyone,

Are you going to the openhouse this Saturday? Is there a dress code?

My husband and I will be there and I was wondering the same thing!

I'm not sure if there is officially a dress code, but last year everyone was wearing professional dress. When in doubt, put some nice clothes on.

Hey, does anyone else get a weird vibe from the Yakima community? I looked up the crime rate, and its kind of concerning to me. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

This crime rate is almost exactly the same as Seattle actually. Yakima tends to get a bit of a bad wrap, and from everything I've heard undeservedly so.

Hey, does anyone else get a weird vibe from the Yakima community? I looked up the crime rate, and its kind of concerning to me. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

I've been living here since February and it's perfectly fine. I've been up and down every inch of this place, including the places people say to stay away from and I've yet to even feel so much as nervous. I've lived in Portland, South Boston, El Paso, Tacoma... it is no different than any other metro. Mind your own business, use your peanut, and no one will bother you.

Last edited:
Any current students know when the waitlist is going to begin movement? Have interviews concluded for the cycle?

Any current students know when the waitlist is going to begin movement? Have interviews concluded for the cycle?
Interviews were completed last week. I imagine they will make a decision on those students first, before moving on to the waitlist.

Yes, I was in the last interview on 4/7. We will be reviewed and notified of acceptance in two weeks (4/21) although we were told all spots already have offers on them so likely no offers will occur. After that, as spots open up, people with a deferred acceptance will be first offered a seat. Then (likely in May) the waitlist will be ranked. Only the top 20 or 30 students will be notified of their position in the waitlist. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you already know this but PNWU has been pulling people off their waitlist all year. I interviewed in October, was waitlisted and got the call in December I had been accepted. Movement happens all year.

Hey guys have any of you recieved the emails to complete the blood pathogens, hipaa, and OSHA certificstions? Or do we just go online and complete it?

Hey guys have any of you recieved the emails to complete the blood pathogens, hipaa, and OSHA certificstions? Or do we just go online and complete it?

As far as I understand, they'll send us an e-mail to complete those trainings. There is one there, the CITI (or something something, forgot the name) that can be accessed from the New Student's section. The others we are still waiting. I think the loan one is also available there. I should probably do those...

CITI is a pain but yes, those two are the only ones we have had access to at this point

This probably isn't any of my business, but I'm going to go ahead and drop a big request on you incoming students. Do yourself a favor and learn how to study effectively and stay diligent. As a second year preparing for boards, it's very frustrating to hear other students talk about how they've started taking adderall so they could focus more and bring there grades up towards the end of the year.
I understand there are people who need these medications to go about their activities of daily living, but if you're buying pills from someone and don't have your own prescription just because you want to be at the top of the class, that's not cool. I know of a handful of my classmates who are doing it, and it's very frustrating to have people brag about how close they are to the top of the class and then in the same breath talk about how they weren't doing very well until they took a roommate's amphetamines and realized how much better they could focus and started getting it illegally.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this here, I think more than anything I'm just frustrated that so many people are doing some not very good things to "succeed".
If you get your methods figured out early and practice being diligent and focused, you won't have to resort to unethical methods for "focus" in a couple years when you want to succeed on the boards. And not that it means anything to anyone, but if you do stuff like that, you're going to lose a lot of respect from people.

Reactions: 6 users
This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find the exact layout for the academic years 1-2. I seetheacademic calendar with the startdates of each term, but it does not state specifically the schedule that is the process for those years. What does the summer schedule look like afterspring term ends for OMS 1 students? Thank you so much.

Waitlisted candidates from the last interview date should be hearing back tomorrow about the ranking and rest of the waitlist, right?

Waitlisted candidates from the last interview date should be hearing back tomorrow about the ranking and rest of the waitlist, right?
Who knows? I was waitlisted in October and have no idea about where I'm at on the list and the ranking.

This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find the exact layout for the academic years 1-2. I seetheacademic calendar with the startdates of each term, but it does not state specifically the schedule that is the process for those years. What does the summer schedule look like afterspring term ends for OMS 1 students? Thank you so much.

Things are constantly changing, so I can't speak with exactness in regards to the upcoming schedule, but the way it should work, or at least the outline of it is you will start with what I believe is a 12 weeks course where you will go over all the basic sciences. You will cover biochem, immunology, histology, pharmacology, etc. After that then you will break down into specific systems that range from 4 to 8 week blocks. Cardiology, respiratory, renal, etc. And that is what you cycle through for the rest of the first 2 years. These are what we call the "systems" courses. All the while you will still have OPP, Clinical skills, and Community Doctoring. These classes involve OPP lab and lecture, simulated patient encounters, minority health, epidemiology, etc. So the "systems" kick in after you finish the introductory basic science class and last for the entirety of the 2 years, while all the other classes basically start when school starts and last for the duration of the pre-clinical curriculum.

Does that help at all?
The summer after 1st year is basically open. Most people I know took vacations, worked, went home, etc. Some did research, some did other random crap, but most people just hung out. There are no required activities during the summer so you are basically free to do whatever you want.

Who knows? I was waitlisted in October and have no idea about where I'm at on the list and the ranking.

That's what we were told in the last interview. I hope it happens. These weeks have been nerve-wracking.

Things are constantly changing, so I can't speak with exactness in regards to the upcoming schedule, but the way it should work, or at least the outline of it is you will start with what I believe is a 12 weeks course where you will go over all the basic sciences. You will cover biochem, immunology, histology, pharmacology, etc. After that then you will break down into specific systems that range from 4 to 8 week blocks. Cardiology, respiratory, renal, etc. And that is what you cycle through for the rest of the first 2 years. These are what we call the "systems" courses. All the while you will still have OPP, Clinical skills, and Community Doctoring. These classes involve OPP lab and lecture, simulated patient encounters, minority health, epidemiology, etc. So the "systems" kick in after you finish the introductory basic science class and last for the entirety of the 2 years, while all the other classes basically start when school starts and last for the duration of the pre-clinical curriculum.

Does that help at all?
The summer after 1st year is basically open. Most people I know took vacations, worked, went home, etc. Some did research, some did other random crap, but most people just hung out. There are no required activities during the summer so you are basically free to do whatever you want.
Thank you very much for your reply. I did not know whether we would have the first summer off or not so that is primarily why I was asking. Thanks again!

My self-service site updated to indicate that I am waitlisted. I was at the last interview date as well. I emailed PNWU asking about rankings, and was told they'll make rankings in the first two weeks of May, and will inform the top 30 or so of their rough position afterwards.

My self-service site updated to indicate that I am waitlisted. I was at the last interview date as well. I emailed PNWU asking about rankings, and was told they'll make rankings in the first two weeks of May, and will inform the top 30 or so of their rough position afterwards.
+1

Same. Anyone receive anything today regarding the ranking? I haven't heard anything yet but if it's in May, then a few more weeks...
I got an email from the school yesterday stating they wouldn't decide on the waitlist ranking until early to mid May.

anyone know if PNWU accepts application updates for applicants who are waitlisted?

Hey guys, for those accepted, is anyone's evalue cbc background check still not verified even though it has been completed months ago? Thanks much!

Hey guys, for those accepted, is anyone's evalue cbc background check still not verified even though it has been completed months ago? Thanks much!
Mine still isn't showing. Have you submitted your white coat form yet? I submitted mine a while ago but it's still showing as incomplete. I am afraid maybe I didn't submit it correctly but I don't want to put in a second one if they are just behind.

Gladmto see I am not the omly one. No, I have not for whitecoat yet, but I a, sure they sre delayed on checking on some of these. Just thought they would have updated when they verified the drug test. Because we did not have to send the report to them they said they would see the drug amd background check correct?

Yeah CBC isn't loaded for me as well in e-value, and NOTHING is loaded into my profile on self-service...so I wouldn't worry about it

For those unaware, the top 30 have been notified.