Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all. My scouting report from Penn:

First off, the place was beautiful. The facilities were seriously great. I particularly loved the anatomy lab, which is in the older portion of the school. Really cool vibe, and there was a bit of cityscape visible out of the large windows. Definitely a cool space.

They split the interviewees into to groups: after an hour or so of introductory chit-chat, one group went on a 1.5 hour tour then came back for the interviews in the last 1.5 hour of the day. The second group did things in reverse. My interview was about 30 minutes, which left about one hour to sit around and chat with the students who were leading the tours and such.

They were upfront about the fact that the student hosts reported back to the admissions committee about you, so that meant that it was seriously about a 4 hour interview session which, I have to admit, wore me completely out. I was pretty dead by the end of the day.

The official interview was with two people, one who had reviewed your file, one who hadn't. The questions from the "cold" interviewer were of the "tell me about yourself" type. I was asked the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question and the "what is the most positive and most negative experience you have had in your clinical experiences" question. All in all, pretty conversational. The questions from the "warm" interviewer were pretty targeted. I was asked why I should be given a spot over someone who had been working toward vet school their whole lives (I'm a second career applicant), and then I was asked to discuss a few things from my application in detail. All in all not bad, but I certainly wouldn't describe the warm interviewer's questions as conversational. That portion of the interview was more interrogation style.

I came away really loving Penn. The students were great and really excited about the school, and the school itself is obviously impressive. Philadelphia was sort of "meh" for me, but I don't have much experience with the city. Like most places, I'm sure it's great once you get to know it.

Those were my impressions. If anyone has any burning questions, please feel free to ask.

Good luck to everyone waiting at all stages of the process!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, the place was beautiful. The facilities were seriously great. I particularly loved the anatomy lab, which is in the older portion of the school. Really cool vibe, and there was a bit of cityscape visible out of the large windows. Definitely a cool space.

They split the interviewees into to groups: after an hour or so of introductory chit-chat, one group went on a 1.5 hour tour then came back for the interviews in the last 1.5 hour of the day. The second group did things in reverse. My interview was about 30 minutes, which left about one hour to sit around and chat with the students who were leading the tours and such.

They were upfront about the fact that the student hosts reported back to the admissions committee about you, so that meant that it was seriously about a 4 hour interview session which, I have to admit, wore me completely out. I was pretty dead by the end of the day.

The official interview was with two people, one who had reviewed your file, one who hadn't. The questions from the "cold" interviewer were of the "tell me about yourself" type. I was asked the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question and the "what is the most positive and most negative experience you have had in your clinical experiences" question. All in all, pretty conversational. The questions from the "warm" interviewer were pretty targeted. I was asked why I should be given a spot over someone who had been working toward vet school their whole lives (I'm a second career applicant), and then I was asked to discuss a few things from my application in detail. All in all not bad, but I certainly wouldn't describe the warm interviewer's questions as conversational. That portion of the interview was more interrogation style.

I came away really loving Penn. The students were great and really excited about the school, and the school itself is obviously impressive. Philadelphia was sort of "meh" for me, but I don't have much experience with the city. Like most places, I'm sure it's great once you get to know it.

Those were my impressions. If anyone has any burning questions, please feel free to ask.

Soo good to know it was a positive experience for you! I hope you get to hear the positive news soon! That would be wonderful! And thank you for sharing some details. Especially from a successful applicant such as yourself - I think it will help in calming my nerves for my interview next week.

Also, its so funny because you prepare for questions like the ones you were asked and STILL I manage to botch the interviews up... I need to seriously RELAX... :scared:

You rock bk! (my friend's bf is from brooklyn and we always call him BK haha) :thumbup:

Thanks BKsambo, sounds like you did great. Good luck for getting an acceptance letter soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
just to put in my two cents :)

i had a great day on friday for my interview, i should state first of all that the students who were hanging around and who also had an input in the admissions process, were wonderful. they were SO helpful about answering questions (and i had a lot!) and seemed to really love the school/program. the tour that they gave was awesome and they shared some great info about the school.

the interview itself was a little different than i expected. the cold interviewer i had was a doctor who i had been warned was intimidating, but in reality he wasn't that bad. he started by asking me "tell me about yourself and how you got to be in this chair". after that, he really asked a lot of follow up questions that built up on previous questions asked. he asked me why i wanted to be a vet, then we talked about the community aspect of veterinary medicine, as well as euthanasia (because i brought up the fact that i worked in a virtually no-kill shelter). i felt like he was really trying to make sure that i knew what i was talking about. he asked me what my lowest science grade was in college, as well as why i thought i was qualified/unique from other applicants to be accepted. the other interview, the "hot" interviewer, didn't ask me any questions but rather asked me if i had any questions.

my interview lasted about 20 minutes (unfortunately!). it seemed that they were running almost 30 minutes behind for my group of interviewees, and i was in the middle of the group in terms of timing, so i feel like they were trying to make up for time.

all in all i can't really say how i feel about the interview. definitely a little more intense than my tufts interview, but not really THAT stresful. the hardest part was feeling like i was being "interviewed" for the entire time i was there. i was exhausted by the time i got back home, i had been in a suit from 8am-10pm pretty much as well as heels (which by the way, one got stuck in a crack while walking down locust walk and i looked like a fool for a hot minute without a shoe).

oh and i couldn't make it to the happy hour they had after (pig roast and beer/wine!) because i had to catch a train home :( but i would recommend going if you can, i've heard it's wonderful.

overall had a great experience interviewing but for what it's worth, this was only my 2nd interview so far (my other one being tufts) so i don't really know how it compares to other places.

from what i've heard from both someone who is at tufts now (but got accepted to penn) and another person who is currently a student at penn (both of whom i know from undergrad) the interview experience at Penn varies greatly depending on who your interviewers are -- so there isn't really a consistent "feel" for the interview, such as the Tufts interview.

Last edited:

Sorry for the long wait for my input (got back from KS at 12:30am this morning), but this was pretty much my feeling of the school. I highly recommend hanging around after your interview for happy hour as current students who see you in a suit will be happy to grab you a drink (pretty much gratis, but I tossed a a few bucks in for beer too) and shoot the breeze with you for awhile (aka BlacKat, thanks!).

Of my three interviews thus far my Penn one was the easiest/simplest FWIW.

I was just coming here to post my thoughts on Friday's interview, but I just got a call from Mr. Keiter - I'm in!!!!!!!!!!

:love::love::hardy::soexcited::soexcited::banana:

:zip::zip:

I was just coming here to post my thoughts on Friday's interview, but I just got a call from Mr. Keiter - I'm in!!!!!!!!!!

:love::love::hardy::soexcited::soexcited::banana:

:zip::zip:

i don't know if i met you on friday but i just got the call tooooooo!!!!!!!!!! :D

Congrats, Sunnex! I think we were in different interview/tour groups, but I'm not sure. I am so excited - Penn is the only school I applied to because of my husband's job, so all of my eggs were in one basket.

My apologies to everyone who has to look at all those emoticons, but one dancing monkey just didn't express my happiness. Now if my parents would only answer their damn phone!

Congrats you guys!!!!! Now Sunnex you have THREE to choose from.

Congrats you guys!!!!! Now Sunnex you have THREE to choose from.

ugh don't even remind me tiger willow...i know it's like the best position to be in, but i'm having a tough time...everyone keeps asking me but i swear my mind changes every day.

Woo hoo! Just got the call. I'm in too! So excited. And sunnex, I think we sat at the same table in the afternoon interview waiting room. I was the super chatty guy (nerves!) at the table. I think i recognized you from your avatar. Congrats to all! I so can't focus on work today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my call from Mr. Keiter.

I am torn between Cornell and Penn. #Overachiever problems.

Same here, though I'm IS for Cornell, so that is certainly a thumb on the scale for Cornell. I have to say, though, if money matters were equal, I think I'd be choosing Penn. I loved the place.

Huge congratulations to: bksambo, sunnex, soopernova and bismark! I am so excited to see all of your excitement...it's contagious! I'm still waiting for an interview here. That is so great, guys!

I'm waiting for one also! Positive thoughts

all you current PennWe's...you might want to expect a PM from me in the next couple months as i will most likely need A LOT of help deciding where to go! currently penn is my top choice :)love:) but my mind changes every day...such a conflict :rolleyes:

*tackle hug*

:laugh:

random question...are you from Maryland? i'm from Northern Virginia, just nice to see another metro DC area person (if you're from that part of Maryland)

all you current PennWe's...you might want to expect a PM from me in the next couple months as i will most likely need A LOT of help deciding where to go! currently penn is my top choice :)love:) but my mind changes every day...such a conflict :rolleyes:
Congrats to y'all.

Sunnex... try to keep your decision making process public. You will find a lot of help that way. That is how I did it 2 years ago and I think it was helpful to all. I didn't make my decision until early April.

Congrats everyone!!! Really hope to be joining you guys with the acceptances next month. I'm not sure I can handle another year on the wait list. =/

I was there on Friday (Jan.6) and I just got my call from Mr. Keiter this morning, too!!!
I assume I met some of you on Friday...but I am DEFINITELY going to Penn!!:love:
See you in the fall!!!

Congrats, guys!

Sunnex, I knew from the very beginning that you didn't have a thing to worry about. If only you'd trusted my sage, all-knowing advice, you could've saved yourself a lot of stress! :laugh: ;)

Congrats to y'all.

Sunnex... try to keep your decision making process public. You will find a lot of help that way. That is how I did it 2 years ago and I think it was helpful to all. I didn't make my decision until early April.

thanks SOV :) i was mainly going to PM people because i didn't want to hijack the thread with my specific questions! ;)
Congrats, guys!

Sunnex, I knew from the very beginning that you didn't have a thing to worry about. If only you'd trusted my sage, all-knowing advice, you could've saved yourself a lot of stress! :laugh: ;)

aww thanks ben and me :) i had Dr. Harvey as one of my interviewers and he was scary at first when i walked in but he actually smiled/laughed at lots of stuff that i said! i really really love penn and am seriously considering going :love:

:laugh:

random question...are you from Maryland? i'm from Northern Virginia, just nice to see another metro DC area person (if you're from that part of Maryland)

I'm from western Maryland, way out in the boonies. Find a map of Maryland and put your finger on the skinniest part and you'll be pointing at my elementary school. ;) My brother lived in Baltimore for a while, though, and I've been in and out of DC quite a bit. *waves*

Congrats everyone!!!!!!!! :love:

sunnex- I'm from the metro DC area. I just went back over winter break to see the Caps game. Beat NY rangers 4-1 :D

It really is easier if people keep their questions public because then we don't have to respond to a ton of different PMs with the same questions. So unless your questions are really specific, like where to find housing in philly, try to post them here :)

For people who need to make decisions, here are some past threads about Penn vs [other schools]

Penn vs. Ohio http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=800039&highlight=Penn+vs
Penn vs Cornell http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=801392&highlight=Penn+vs
Penn vs Tufts http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=800920&highlight=Penn+vs
Penn vs Cornell vs Tufts http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=697692&highlight=Penn+vs
Tufts vs LSU vs Penn http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=616527&highlight=Penn+vs

I would like to add in something that probably isn't on these reviews. Penn has a new clinical program that has expanded from first yr to second year where we are exposed to 4th year rotations and shadow them either at NBC or VHUB (medicine and emergency). This is really what you make of it. If you want as much hands on then if you ask for it they will let you. If there are no cases at the moment and you choose to just study then IMO you aren't taking advantage of the class so you should have nothing to complain about (some people say it is a waste of time). I'm very friendly with the nurses, students, and doctors so when there is a lag between cases I'll venture over to other departments like special species, radiology, emergency etc and find people I know who will let me tag along.

Penn has been incorporating PBL style learning into their normal curriculum. Right now for Clin Path the whole course is designed by just doing cases. It was nice to get a solid core background because I find doing the cases so far seems to flow nicely.

Congrats everyone!!!!!!!! :love:

sunnex- I'm from the metro DC area. I just went back over winter break to see the Caps game. Beat NY rangers 4-1 :D

It really is easier if people keep their questions public because then we don't have to respond to a ton of different PMs with the same questions. So unless your questions are really specific, like where to find housing in philly, try to post them here :)

For people who need to make decisions, here are some past threads about Penn vs [other schools]

Penn vs. Ohio http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=800039&highlight=Penn+vs
Penn vs Cornell http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=801392&highlight=Penn+vs
Penn vs Tufts http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=800920&highlight=Penn+vs
Penn vs Cornell vs Tufts http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=697692&highlight=Penn+vs
Tufts vs LSU vs Penn http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=616527&highlight=Penn+vs

BlacKAT33 -- I absolutely love you for these links -- AMAZING!!!! :love:

glad you were able to see the Caps game -- it gets crazy around here during hockey season :D

and i totally understand about keeping questions public -- you guys must get bombarded with them this time of year! i'm completely in love with Penn (as a school) though :biglove: and it was awesome being back on campus again after being away for like...a year!

Giant roach in class today disrupted our AV block lecture. Third one this week. Just so you are warned! :p

When my group was on the tour a giant roach jumped down from the ceiling as we were walking out of the second year basement classroom. Two of the girls in my tour group were horrified. I was like hey, Philly is a city, and what kind of city doesnt have roaches?

Secretly, though, I was like "Holy cats what are they feeding these freaking roaches!". Biggest. Bug. Ever.

Ewwwww. After the 30th time of seeing one, I still think they are gross. Give me a huge spider anyday

Just wondering if anyone else has an interview on the 10th, focusing on the large animal facilities.

Also in the invite it says wear interview-appropriate clothing and comfortable, farm-appropriate foot-wear, so should we still wear a suit or just dress pants and a blouse? Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!

Giant roach in class today disrupted our AV block lecture. Third one this week. Just so you are warned! :p

Hahaha. I had two Madagascar hissing cockroaches to take care of for a class so I'm not terribly afraid of roaches. The normal American ones would sneak up on me as well when I used to clean the bat cave at The Maryland Zoo. Those ones still creep me out a little--had a slightly traumatizing experience in college as a lab assistant with them.

Hahaha. I had two Madagascar hissing cockroaches to take care of for a class so I'm not terribly afraid of roaches. The normal American ones would sneak up on me as well when I used to clean the bat cave at The Maryland Zoo. Those ones still creep me out a little--had a slightly traumatizing experience in college as a lab assistant with them.

Well then in that case, you will be wildly popular among your classmates if you can bravely battle roaches!

Just wondering if anyone else has an interview on the 10th, focusing on the large animal facilities.

Also in the invite it says wear interview-appropriate clothing and comfortable, farm-appropriate foot-wear, so should we still wear a suit or just dress pants and a blouse? Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!

I would PM allthingsequine because I know she is LA. You can also look at the old penn thread and search different key words because I know this comes up every year. My guess (just in case you get no other responses and unfortunately have to rely on my guess lol) is dress pants and dress shirt with boots that you can wear with your dress pants. I thinkkk last year people were talking about wearing dress shoes and carrying boots with them. This may be a good option because then you are free to change into what you need. Also, with this warm weather I think you'd be hot in boots all day haha I think the full suit is probably overdoing it because no one would ever wear that to a farm. And I'd stick with pants, not a skirt.

Good Luck to all Penn interviewees today!!!! :D

. Also, with this warm weather I think you'd be hot in boots all day haha I think the full suit is probably overdoing it because no one would ever wear that to a farm. And I'd stick with pants, not a skirt.
Nice advice Blackat. I always feel hot when the wind chill takes the temps down to 12 degrees at MIDDAY. Absolutely balmy.

Nice advice Blackat. I always feel hot when the wind chill takes the temps down to 12 degrees at MIDDAY. Absolutely balmy.

:roflcopter:

seriously though. have you ever walked down locust walk btw 40th street and 38th, in btw the high rise apartments? i lived in rodin during UG and had to endure the wind tunnel by the dueling tampons every day during the winter...one of the reasons why i own so much north face gear now :oops:

seriously though. have you ever walked down locust walk btw 40th street and 38th, in btw the high rise apartments? i lived in rodin during UG and had to endure the wind tunnel by the dueling tampons every day during the winter...one of the reasons why i own so much north face gear now :oops:

I can only imagine how it would've been yesterday - it was the ultimate windy day... I actually needed to check that I wasn't in Chicago :laugh:

wait - what are the dueling tampons?

:laugh: one day its 60 degrees, the next day its 10 degrees!! hmm it's like B101 haha

So I still haven't heard anything from Penn. How late do they usually send out invites?

I got a letter in November that said that it's a long process, and that we could be invited as late as mid-March! Hang in there (I'm trying to myself).

I got a letter in November that said that it's a long process, and that we could be invited as late as mid-March! Hang in there (I'm trying to myself).

I never got that letter :(. I know just from it being Penn that that's the case, but now I'm worried that I didn't get a letter :scared: Did you mean email, or letter?
Panic attack in 5 4 3 2.... :boom: ;):laugh: