Pikeville SOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got an interview invite after being complete since August. I won't be going though. Just letting you guys know they're sending out invites for Jan.

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got an interview invite after being complete since August. I won't be going though. Just letting you guys know they're sending out invites for Jan.

How did you receive it, by email or mail? I have been complete a month, and I am still waiting, nervously. :scared:

Last edited:
Received an invite yesterday via email. However, I must decline due to travel expenses and my recent acceptances. Good luck to everyone in the current application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I've been getting interview offers from several MD schools, but none from here. ???

Accepted! Interviewed the 23rd, got a call on the 26th.
This amazes me. The MD school myself and several friends applied to is taking months to hear anything at all. And here you get an acceptance in days? wow. I'm impressed.

Congrats on your acceptance!! When did you complete your application? Does anyone know that stats of those accepted? I completed mine back in Nov but have not heard anything. Do they only accept in state? Thanks.

Accepted! Interviewed the 23rd, got a call on the 26th.

Does anyone know that stats of those accepted? I completed mine back in Nov but have not heard anything. Do they only accept in state? Thanks.
Stats are super low. GPA is 3.3 and MCAT is 22 or 23. They accept people from mostly KY and the Appalachian mountains.

I guess I don't have much of a chance. Does anyone how how full the class is now?

Stats are super low. GPA is 3.3 and MCAT is 22 or 23. They accept people from mostly KY and the Appalachian mountains.

You can get a lot of information there from other students.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you get your secondary in? I sent mine in in October and haven't heard anything back. I've told myself it's better than a rejection because I would really love to get an interview!

The apartment hunt is on! Does anyone have any info about units that will be opening up? Or info about the best places to look??

Anyone that interviewed last Friday?

Accepted as well!

About the rotations.

Can you do 3rd and 4th year outside pcsom's CORE areas. For instance if I choose dayton or cinci OH, will I be able to complete all the rotations there or will I have to do some at the CORE areas in KY?

Anyone know/have heard what the board pass rates are for Pikeville?

Also, how's the most recent match list look?

you can do all two of your last years at one place. However, sites can change depending on the year. So don't hang your hat on one spot.

I sent in my secondary in Oct and haven't heard anything back yet after trying to call multiple times. I am planning on sending a letter of intent but don't know who I should send it to. Should I be sending it to Angel?

I sent in my secondary in Oct and haven't heard anything back yet after trying to call multiple times. I am planning on sending a letter of intent but don't know who I should send it to. Should I be sending it to Angel?

Try calling again Monday. When I called earlier today, Caroline said Angel might be in that day. If she isn't in, then leave a message with Caroline or on Angel's voicemail. They usually return the call. And if not, call back the next day.

this thread is extremely quiet! Are they still doing interviews?

Does anyone have any ideas, or willing to sublet their apt/room for 5 weeks in july?. I'll be doing a rotation out in pikesville and it seems like housing is a major problem for me

Last edited:
just for info. I heard from the admissions rep that the class of 2014 is already filled and they are interviewing for wait-list spots at this point. But Don't lose hope. Anything can happen at anytime.

just for info. I heard from the admissions rep that the class of 2014 is already filled and they are interviewing for wait-list spots at this point. But Don't lose hope. Anything can happen at anytime.

You seem very knowledgeable on pcsom. Why is it so hard to get info on comlex pass rates, residency match lists, etc from pcsom????

I would really appreciate if you can post some accurate info on pass rates and match lists besides 2005. The office at pcsom does not respond to me and I have asked many times. This just makes it seem that they are trying to hide something which can't be good. Ignoring is not the way to go.

I'll tell you what I know. The graduating class is the only class right now currently that I've heard pass rate info on It was around 91% I believe. I'm not positive but That's what it has been at PCSOM for a while. For step II is was lower because they changed the CE without informing the proper deans apparently. The school has since beefed up clinical education to meet and exceed higher pass rates. Most info isn't released to us but I've been given some general numbers. This year's match list has yet to come out and last years was not published because of school policy at the time. I hope this helps. If it helps you from my perspective. I feel that PCSOM has prepared me well for boards in micro, pharm, path, biochem, embryo, anatomy, and neuroscience. There are of course some areas that need work like psychiatry ect. But nothing major that you can't get out of Kaplan or 1st aid. In years past there have been students who have taken USMLE and scored over 90th %. So it's all what you make of it.

I'll tell you what I know. The graduating class is the only class right now currently that I've heard pass rate info on It was around 91% I believe. I'm not positive but That's what it has been at PCSOM for a while. For step II is was lower because they changed the CE without informing the proper deans apparently. The school has since beefed up clinical education to meet and exceed higher pass rates. Most info isn't released to us but I've been given some general numbers. This year's match list has yet to come out and last years was not published because of school policy at the time. I hope this helps. If it helps you from my perspective. I feel that PCSOM has prepared me well for boards in micro, pharm, path, biochem, embryo, anatomy, and neuroscience. There are of course some areas that need work like psychiatry ect. But nothing major that you can't get out of Kaplan or 1st aid. In years past there have been students who have taken USMLE and scored over 90th %. So it's all what you make of it.

Thanks for the info, I wished I would have known more of this info earlier because I would have applied and made this school one of my top choices. It is just hard to find info on the school. It seems like a hidden gem.

2 last concerns just out of curiosity scdocusc, I am trying to get this info out there for others like me who needed it:

1. Why do you say the rotations need work or are a weak point? There seems to be a good variety of core sites. Also is it true that you can pick any city in the usa and it may be considered ok for rotations.

2. Can you explain the medical mission trips and expenses associated with them and if the school or student funds them? Where and how often students go? Can you do a medical mission trip as a rotation like other schools?

Thanks scdocusc!

The rotations were like that in the past. You could pretty much go anywhere you wanted. The new dean is looking for more control over students to make the clinical education more consistent. So, there are about the same number of sights but closer to the school. It's not all bad but they are getting some other good sites in and around KY. FYI, fourth year is free range.

The school goes on two mission trips each summer. One group goes to Guatamala for surgery and the main trip is to the Dominican republic. It's through the Christian medical association. It's usually a huge trip that is put together from the ground up. We set up a medical clinic in a place in the DR for three days. You get to see some messed up stuff. All costs are covered by members, however the college gives massive amounts of money to help each year. I think last year it was all free in the end.

Also, the School released the new design for the new medical school today. Ground is going to be broken in Sept and it will be completed hopefully by may of 2012. I'm sure they'll post pics on the site. They are building a 9 story building and expanding the class size in the future. If you apply this year you would be in it more than likely.

Does anyone know the statistics for last year's entering class, in terms of GPA/MCAT? I know the average GPA was ~3.4, but was wondering if it has changed any. I'm applying this summer to begin school in 2011, with a cGPA of 3.33 and 32 MCAT and just wanted to see how my stats compared.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I wished I would have known more of this info earlier because I would have applied and made this school one of my top choices. It is just hard to find info on the school. It seems like a hidden gem.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were 72 in my class at the time COMLEX Step I was taken and think 88% passed on first try. I honestly don't know COMLEX Step II results, but if my memory serves once again, I think all but 3 or 4 passed the COMLEX Step II PE on the first try.

PCSOM will get you ready for your COMLEX Step I, Step II and III depend on how well you study during your clerkship/internship years.

I used COMBANK for Step III and it really helped me raise my Step III score.

Does anyone know the statistics for last year's entering class, in terms of GPA/MCAT? I know the average GPA was ~3.4, but was wondering if it has changed any. I'm applying this summer to begin school in 2011, with a cGPA of 3.33 and 32 MCAT and just wanted to see how my stats compared.

Thanks!

Your stats are fine. Just get good recommendations from DOs and do well at your interview and you will have an excellent chance. PCSOM is one of the few places that have discovered that MCAT scores don't correlate with how well you will do in Medical School. With the scores I had entering back in 2004 I would still be a first year medical student trying to advance. haha

I am applying to hopefully =D begin in 2011, but I haven't found a thread for people like me. Could you guys give me some insight at respect?

P.S First time writing sorry if this is the wrong place to ask my question

I'm applying to hopefully start fall 2011 also! I sent my primary in over a month ago and haven't received a secondary or even a confirmation saying they got my primary..?!

I'm applying to hopefully start fall 2011 also! I sent my primary in over a month ago and haven't received a secondary or even a confirmation saying they got my primary..?!

I'm applying this cycle too. When were you released to the schools? I was relased 6/6 and got the secondary on 7/16. I didn't get anything from the school until I got the secondary came.

Good Luck applying:luck: