PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
An update on Dr. Betz resigning..... I was told by a current student that he spoke with them all on Friday. Basically it sounds like in his contract it was set up that he would stick around till the school was established and up and running. He felt that he had accomplished his job and was now moving on to the next portion of his life.

To me, that sounds like a pretty honest answer. He did what he wanted to accomplish, and now he's moving on to his next goal.

According to PNWU mission statement: The mission of Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences is to train, educate, and encourage scientific research for health professionals who will provide quality care to all communities of the Pacific Northwest, particularly underserved populations.

Anyone matriculated have to sign anything stating your intention to remain in the Pacific Northwest?

Also - I am interested in Sports Medicine. Either through FP or PM&R. Would PNWU accommodate?

Thanks! :)

As far as i know, you dont have to sign any intention to stay in the pacific northwest, but why wouldnt you want to stay here? its as good as it gets in my opinion.

second, PNWU is just like any other med school in the fact that you can become any type of physician that you want. However, the main purpose for the creation of this school is to generate people who WANT to work in rural areas to the underserved population. If these are not your intentions, or at least a consideration of yours, maybe a different school would be a better fit for you.

hope that helps

Members don't see this ad.

According to PNWU mission statement: The mission of Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences is to train, educate, and encourage scientific research for health professionals who will provide quality care to all communities of the Pacific Northwest, particularly underserved populations.

Anyone matriculated have to sign anything stating your intention to remain in the Pacific Northwest?

Also - I am interested in Sports Medicine. Either through FP or PM&R. Would PNWU accommodate?

Thanks! :)

At my interview they told me, "We know that ~50% of our students will not choose primary care, and that's okay. Our hope is that all the students will graduate competent in primary care, regardless of which field they choose, as we believe that competency in primary care is important for every specialty." I don't know what my specialty will be, and when asked in my interview I told them as much. I think some lie, or stretch the truth, "It's been my dream to be a rural FP my entire life! :laugh:"...I was honest and told them I didn't know what I wanted and that I planned to decide my third year. Their response, "That's the perfect response, that's what the third year is for, we don't expect you to already know what are of medicine you plan to pursue."

Thanks Sandlot and Stonewall for confirming my assumptions - best of luck to both of you in your journey :)

Members don't see this ad :)
no problem, glad we could help

when I interviewed, they asked me what I wanted to specialize in and I replied similar to stonewall....... said I want to experience as much as I can first before I select a specialty. If I had to chose right now I could, but I want to know more about everything first

To me, that sounds like a pretty honest answer. He did what he wanted to accomplish, and now he's moving on to his next goal.

Glad that you got that info Sandlot. Its a perfectly acceptable and logical reason for someone to move on (especially since he was probably employed for x number of years before PNWU even received their first class.) It just raised questions for me since in my expereince, every time a dean has moved on, there is always an immediate statement that accompanies such announcements.

As far as i know, you dont have to sign any intention to stay in the pacific northwest, but why wouldnt you want to stay here? its as good as it gets in my opinion.

Right - there is no requirement for you to practice in the NW. The reason that they cater towards people who want to stay in the NW is because of the location of their ROTATIONS!

If you are dead set against having your residency in the NW, I would say PNWU is not the school for you, since you would have to either apply to residency programs you have never rotated at (which is not the kiss of death by any means, but neither is it ideal) or you would have to do a good amount of work to set up rotations for yourself at programs you are interested in (fyi if you are doing milmed, this suddenly becomes of no concern since you can rotate throughout the country fairly seamlessly with the military, but I don't suppose you are!) A general rule for med schools is that unless you are going to an absolutely top tier program (Hvd, JHU, WU STL, etc.), going to a medical school that has rotations in the region which you want to practice is a big plus come match time and is often far more powerful than some sort of US News ranking.

Anyway, if you have some interest in the NW, or if you really like the school, PNWU is definitely worth considering.

Thanks chewsnuffles for another confirmation! You guys are fantastic - as a non-trad it's great to get REAL advice :)

I figure residency opportunity will abound for you in the NW as the student density is low and there is so much talk about the need for physicians. Why pay a doc $150K when you can 4 for the same price - jk.

On another note, my current stats are BCPM GPA 3.60, Cum 3.23 - MCAT 21M (6,7,8). I am taking the MCAT for the 3rd *sigh* time in April. Do you think it's worth applying now since it's late and my scores are low? I also have 5 years in a medically-supervised weight managment clinic - not sure if that helps? Plus 500+ hours shadowing physical therapists at 3 diff. locations and two partial days shadowing a MD surgeon and DO PM&R doc (my goal is sports med sub-specialization) either through FM or PM&R. I have excellent letters of rec and a STRONG upward GPA trend after throwing away my first two years of college with a couple Fs, Ds and about 14 withdrawls (if I could only change the past). I have a BS in Pre-PT from Western Washington U and have taken 3 years of post-bac UD science while working full time. I love Washington (lived here for 28 years) and feel that PNWU would be a good location for me... any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks chewsnuffles for another confirmation! You guys are fantastic - as a non-trad it's great to get REAL advice :)

I figure residency opportunity will abound for you in the NW as the student density is low and there is so much talk about the need for physicians. Why pay a doc $150K when you can 4 for the same price - jk.

On another note, my current stats are BCPM GPA 3.60, Cum 3.23 - MCAT 21M (6,7,8). I am taking the MCAT for the 3rd *sigh* time in April. Do you think it's worth applying now since it's late and my scores are low? I also have 5 years in a medically-supervised weight managment clinic - not sure if that helps? Plus 500+ hours shadowing physical therapists at 3 diff. locations and two partial days shadowing a MD surgeon and DO PM&R doc (my goal is sports med sub-specialization) either through FM or PM&R. I have excellent letters of rec and a STRONG upward GPA trend after throwing away my first two years of college with a couple Fs, Ds and about 14 withdrawls (if I could only change the past). I have a BS in Pre-PT from Western Washington U and have taken 3 years of post-bac UD science while working full time. I love Washington (lived here for 28 years) and feel that PNWU would be a good location for me... any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

Your close. If you can spare $270, I don't think it would hurt. PNWU likes the WA folk, and they are far more willing to work with you numbers wise if you are the type of student that they are looking for. Your GPA is right around their average, and I think the upward trend would be looked on favorably. Your MCAT does leave something to be desired, and its good your looking to improve it. I'd talk to the admissions office, send in your app., and tell them that you are taking that April MCAT. Who knows, maybe you'll get waitlisted and the MCAT results in May might push you over the edge. Look into it. The worst that could happen is you get rejected this round anyway!

Those are almost identical GPAs to mine...and I had a strong upward trend (4.0 last 66 hours as a grad student) and AWESOME letters. I didn't have nearly the clinical experience you have, but I did have a higher MCAT (25S). I'm also non-trad. One of the things I like about DO schools is they are more concerned about who you are than necessarily just your numbers. So, IMO, I would go for it, just know that you MCAT is lower than what they typically like, but with strong ties to the area, a desire to stay there, and excitment about the school's mission you never know. Plus, you know that averages are just that, and since the average MCAT is between 25-26, you know people are, matriculating with lower MCATs than that too.

One last comment about residencies...there aren't many to choose from in the NW, so unless you're stellar and can swing UW or OHSU, there are only a handful of osteopathic residencies in the region (most of which are family medicine).

An FYI: I just interviewed at PNWU this past week. They told us they are working to create more residency slots for their graduates. The assistant dean is a former director of a residency program, so he is working to expand opportunities in the northwest.

I'll be attending PNWU next year, and I'm really hoping that by the time I graduate (2013), more residencies will be available in the NW. I would really like to stick around.

I'll be attending PNWU next year, and I'm really hoping that by the time I graduate (2013), more residencies will be available in the NW. I would really like to stick around.

I agree kurtis, our class will hopefully have some decent residencies to chose from in the area when we get there..... we'll let the guinea pig class work out the kinks for us ;)

haha, totally. I'm so stoked for next year, going to class now in UG is a drag. Random question: do you have any idea as to what laptop we'll be getting next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
if i remember correctly, i think the first class had dells..... not sure which one specifically it was, but im guessing a basic run of the mill laptop with decent memory capacity.

Hey, any of ya'll wanna post your opinions on PNWU vs. Western COMP NW track? I have a friend who is struggling with the decision a bit (although definitely leaning towards PNWU), but I'm sure some of you out there have dealt with this, and I was wondering what your thoughts were of the pro's/con's.

How does the rotation system work? Are the clinical rotation sites definitely all in order? And while do you rotate throughout the NW states for years 3/4 or do you stay in one of the sites for the two years??

How does the rotation system work? Are the clinical rotation sites definitely all in order? And while do you rotate throughout the NW states for years 3/4 or do you stay in one of the sites for the two years??

Uh... um... kinda...

I asked this question, but there is no solid answer to this. It depends on the location, since Western has multiple sites for clerkships, but I think that a couple of them (the Tacoma and the Portland location) both have almost all the required practices you would need to rotate through. But I am not quite how it works, since clerkships get selected through a lottery, and each field has its own lottery slot, so it is somewhat hard to imagine that people would nessesarily be able to string together all the rotations at one site... but maybe they could, I dunno.

Does anyone know how many spots PNWU is trying to fill for class of 2013? Is it still 75? Are people still interviewing this year? Is the class almost full?

anybody know the answers to these questions?:luck:

i was wondering what the interviews were like since they are standardized. what should i expect?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I applied to PNWU this year and got waitlisted. I was wondering if anyone has been accepted to the program and has submitted their deposit. When is the deadline to submitt your deposit and acceptance letter for the 2009 entering class? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

anybody still going out to interview? i have one set up in less than 2 weeks.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I applied to PNWU this year and got waitlisted. I was wondering if anyone has been accepted to the program and has submitted their deposit. When is the deadline to submitt your deposit and acceptance letter for the 2009 entering class? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

That day came and went several months ago. For those still interviewing I think they get like 1 or 2 weeks to have a deposit in.

quick question for those that have interviewed or accepted or attending. what is the curriculum like? is it a system based or is it take a course in this then that and bring it all together when you have all the pieces?

So I just interviewed yesterday and loved the school. I do have a few questions for any others that have interviewed. My interview was not at all what I expected it to be. It started out with one interviewer telling me and I quote, "Ok, no bull****." Throughout the interview as I answered this same interviewer would constantly interject while I was answering, often making a statement that was to the contrary of what I was saying, most often sharing their personal thoughts. Also, at times some of the comments made me go into defensive mode. I never thought the interview would turn out like that, where I would say one thing and it would then be used in a way that seemed to be against me. Needless to say I left thinking the whole thing had been a flop and was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience or could shed any light onto why interview seemed at times a little hostile.

I'm really considering applying to PNWU next year...however, I would really like to shadow a DO beforehand just to be sure the DO degree is right for me if I get in. I've read a lot about DO, and all seems great, but I really would like to see first hand the similarities/differences compared to an MD (I'm sure it will be more similarities though).

I am located near the school so I am curious if anyone knows any DOs in the area that are open to students shadowing? A FP DO would be my preference....

Thank you!!!

So I just interviewed yesterday and loved the school. I do have a few questions for any others that have interviewed. My interview was not at all what I expected it to be. It started out with one interviewer telling me and I quote, "Ok, no bull****." Throughout the interview as I answered this same interviewer would constantly interject while I was answering, often making a statement that was to the contrary of what I was saying, most often sharing their personal thoughts. Also, at times some of the comments made me go into defensive mode. I never thought the interview would turn out like that, where I would say one thing and it would then be used in a way that seemed to be against me. Needless to say I left thinking the whole thing had been a flop and was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience or could shed any light onto why interview seemed at times a little hostile.

My interview experience was a little different, but still odd. My interviewers didn't say anything and showed very little emotion or feedback while I was answering my questions; which made it difficult, because I like to interivew in a "conversational" style. Needless to say, my interview was a very one-way experience! In hindsight, this is probably an attempt on their part to standardize the interview process to be more objective vs. subjective from an evaluatory standpoint. Plus, I think it gives insight into how creative you can be in your answers. :laugh: But, I really enjoyed the overall experience; the staff, faculty and students were gracious and way cool.

I too loved the school and was waitlisted after my interview. Did they mention at all to your interview group how many seats are left for this fall's entering class? I've been dying for some news, but haven't heard back from the school yet.

Best of luck to you!:xf:

Sorry to hear about that. I imagine your experience has more to do with the interviewer than the school, or what you said. I had Dr. Madsen (assistant dean) interview me and one other. They were both very warm and friendly despite the standardized questions format. The positive experience I had really made me want to attend the school and most interviewers know, or should know, that they are trying to sell the school to you as much as you are trying to sell yourself to them. I know the PNWU staff regularly check this forum for comments and they will appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
I'm really considering applying to PNWU next year...however, I would really like to shadow a DO beforehand just to be sure the DO degree is right for me if I get in. I've read a lot about DO, and all seems great, but I really would like to see first hand the similarities/differences compared to an MD (I'm sure it will be more similarities though).

I am located near the school so I am curious if anyone knows any DOs in the area that are open to students shadowing? A FP DO would be my preference....

Thank you!!!

I shadowed a FP DO. Unless they use OMM (Osteopathic Manipulation Medicine or technique) I doubt you will see a difference between DO and MD. The biggest difference seems to be philosophical. This is just my opinion- there is a lot of information on the subject.

http://www.woma.org/source/members/physicianfinder/searchresults.cfm?section=Find_a_Physician Here is a list of D.O.s in the area. Some of those listed here are affiliated with PNWU. I would just call them up and ask- most know the drill.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved the school and it is my #1 choice. If it doesn't workout this year I will just reapply 1st thing in June and hopefully get an earlier interview and nail it. I was just a little shocked throughout the whole thing being interuppted in my answers and all.

Anyways for those wondering about how many spots are open this is what is going on. The original 75 seats are well, pretty much gone. There may be some movement going on, but I don't know how much. The school is hoping to add another 25 seats for this upcoming fall. The accredation commitee came and actually recommended that they go before the accredation comitte/board whatever it is and try to get the seats. No school that was not fully accredited has ever pulled this off, or even attempted it. But as we all know they are really on the ball there and had it recommended that they go for it. So they are compiling a waitlist, ranking it, and when these 25 or other seats come available they will start from the top of the list working down making the calls. Hopefully it all works out and would increase their class size to 100 this fall from here out until they eventually get the 125 they are hoping for.

This school is great, me and my wife absolutely loved it. We would love to go there as our plans are to stay in the Northwest. If anybody from the April 10th groups hears anything please post it up here.

When will we, the students on the waitlist, know if the 25 seats become available (date)? When does the school hear from the commission if they are approved or not(date)?

When will we, the students on the waitlist, know if the 25 seats become available (date)? When does the school hear from the commission if they are approved or not(date)?

we were told may, so i would assume that would be the case for both of your questions. when we interviewed one person said it was 50/50. this school really has it together for, i know i'm rooting for them.

Sorry to hear your interview was different from what you expected. My interview experience was quite different. My interviewers did not say anything during the interview (nodding and even smiling!) but we chatted a little bit afterward. I think the experience could have been quite different if you had different interviewers. I hope you get in.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved the school and it is my #1 choice. If it doesn't workout this year I will just reapply 1st thing in June and hopefully get an earlier interview and nail it. I was just a little shocked throughout the whole thing being interuppted in my answers and all.

Anyways for those wondering about how many spots are open this is what is going on. The original 75 seats are well, pretty much gone. There may be some movement going on, but I don't know how much. The school is hoping to add another 25 seats for this upcoming fall. The accredation commitee came and actually recommended that they go before the accredation comitte/board whatever it is and try to get the seats. No school that was not fully accredited has ever pulled this off, or even attempted it. But as we all know they are really on the ball there and had it recommended that they go for it. So they are compiling a waitlist, ranking it, and when these 25 or other seats come available they will start from the top of the list working down making the calls. Hopefully it all works out and would increase their class size to 100 this fall from here out until they eventually get the 125 they are hoping for.

This school is great, me and my wife absolutely loved it. We would love to go there as our plans are to stay in the Northwest. If anybody from the April 10th groups hears anything please post it up here.
Did they mention anything about deferred offer (like last year)?
I am wondering if these top 25 on the wait list get deferred offer for the next year if the school doesn't get the additional seats in May.

I peronally know a couple of students off the waitlist that have deferred offers for the 2010 yr.

While perusing the AOA website, I found that they publically post their COCA meeting dates and meeting itinerary. According to the website, they are meeting in Chicago on May 2/3rd, and will be discussing PNWU's provisional accredidation. During this time, they most likely will discuss the additional 25 seats, as the next meeting for COCA isn't until September.

Since the school values speedy answers, I am hoping that we will hear about the additional spots within a couple weeks of this meeting. Here's hoping! :thumbup:

that is great to know, thanks for that. I was trying to figure out when they were meeting. what made you choose pnwu over any other school?

I grew up in Washington, and had applied to multiple MD schools, but mainly wanted to stay in the Pacific Northwest. When I heard from a family friend that they were open for business, I applied as soon as possible. Their focus on rural health care is exactly what I am looking for. My husband and I both grew up in rural towns, and love the atmosphere. I believe PNWU can help me receive the right tools to work in such an area.

I interviewed at the school on March 27th, and have been deffered accepted for 2010, and waitlisted for 2009. It was a great experience visiting the school, and I will be accepting ther offer, whether it be in 2009 or 2010.

i was going to interview the 27th, but had a serious injury that impeded that. i interviewed on april 10th and was waitlisted for 2009, but haven't heard of this defferred acceptance for 2010. is that something you get if you are waitlisted, or is it different than being waitlisted?

Being waitlisted and having a deferred position for 2010 and on the 2009 waitlist are two different things.

When you sign into the Self Service site, it will list your status. In my case, it states "deffered offer." I called the admissions department, and they explained that this meant (for me) that I offered a deffered acceptance for 2010, and was also on the waitlist for the 25 positions for 2009.

However, it looks to me from reading other posts that they also regular waitlist positions as well. So I agree with heaterfeater, they are different.

Last edited:
When you sign into the Self Service site, it will list your status. In my case, it states "deffered offer."

How do you get to the Self Service site? I never received that email/letter. They said that they were going to send it, but it never showed up.

Your chances are pretty good right now, WAismyhome. I spoke with Emily in admissions yesterday, and she told me that there are currently 2-3 spots available in the 2009 class, and possibly another 25 if they can get the approval. I'm on the waitlist, but not the deferred offer list. So, either way, you have a spot at PNWU for this year or next! Congrats!

i was actually surprised and excited that i got waitlisted after my interview. i thought that i did a horrible job during that. my question is are there a lot of people that have this deferred acceptance offer out there? i am also wondering if anyone has any info on how many are waitlisted. i know that they are going for the 25 additional seats and hope to get one of those, but i am wondering if there are a ton of waitlisters out there hoping for the same or if they kept the number low around that 25 mark. any info would be most appreciated.

Lincolnparadox: In the email that I got from the school, they stated that if you had any "technical questions," to call or email the technology team at: 509-249-7777, [email protected]. They have to give you the password for your first login, so just giving you the link to the site would not help.

Anybody here interview both at PNWU and LECOM? If so what did you think of each and why? I don't know if I will get into to either but just thinking about it I am having a hard time deciding where I would go. LEt me know if you have been to both.

anybody know if the wait list has been ranked yet? also in the waitlist letter it says to contact them if you are accepted to another school or want to withdraw from the waitlist. does this mean if you are accepted and decide to go, or just if you are accepted and if the latter why would it make a difference if you were accepted elsewhere but PNWU was still your first choice?

i really hope that i get yanked off the waitlist so i can attend this fall. i had a quick question. i know that the school is working on setting up some residency programs in primary care. most of my shadowing has been in fp and peds, but i also shadowed a do neonatologist and really enjoyed it. does everybody think that coming from a new school we will be competitive in all fields?-neonatology, radiology, neurology, etc

anybody know how many are on the waitlist/accepted for 2010?

on about the same note, anybody know how many are on the waitlist?

i'm crossing my fingers that those extra seats are approved am that i am lucky enough to get one.