PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So..... did they approve the 25 seats?

great question. i've been looking on the internet all morning trying to find the answer. are you regular waitlist or deferred 2010/waitlist 2009? do you know if they outright reject people after the interview or if everybody gets "waitlisted."

Members don't see this ad.

I am waitlisted for 2009 and deferred for 2010. I don't know if they reject anyone....

lucky you. hope you get in. i did horrible in my interview. i have a fallback, but i would love to go to pnwu. debating whether or not i would wait another year.

so with there being 2 different list, does that mean that if you are just waitlisted it equals rejected? i hope not...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a deferred offer and got a call today giving me a spot for Fall 2009! :) Anybody else with a similar experience? or did anyone find out if they got the extra spots?

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm supper happy for you! It's interesting that you were accepted before me because I had my interview in Jan or Feb, cant remember the exact date...I wonder how they rank their waitlist for the deferred offers? Did your status change on the internet page before they called you?

I hadn't checked it for a few hours before they called so I'm not sure if it changed before or after it.

hey if anyone finds out about those seats let us know. i found out yesterday that they will know this week, towards the end. hopefully it goes well. so if you hear more, please share.

hey i need some quick advice. i interviewed 4 weeks ago and right after my interview flew back east to visit some family and interview elsewhere. i meant to send emails thanking those that interviewed me, but was busy that week and without a computer and kind of forgot until now. think it would be a good idea to send some thank you emails now, even after 4 weeks, or would that come off as being to beggish or whatever word you may think best fits? i'm waitlisted so yeah, i don't want to do anything that would hurt me in any way and am in limbo as to what i should do.

hey i need some quick advice. i interviewed 4 weeks ago and right after my interview flew back east to visit some family and interview elsewhere. i meant to send emails thanking those that interviewed me, but was busy that week and without a computer and kind of forgot until now. think it would be a good idea to send some thank you emails now, even after 4 weeks, or would that come off as being to beggish or whatever word you may think best fits? i'm waitlisted so yeah, i don't want to do anything that would hurt me in any way and am in limbo as to what i should do.

Just send thank you cards by snail mail. It's not "beggish," it's just business etiquette.

Good luck!

A friend told me they recieved an email from PNWU that said the 25 seats were NOT approved:(

A friend told me they recieved an email from PNWU that said the 25 seats were NOT approved:(

Everyone on the waitlist got that email. So, either you wait until August, take whatever offer you have on the table, or apply again.

anybody have any idea how much movement they had last year with their alternate list and wait list? also, anybody know if there has been any movement at all this year? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
They've had about 5-6 slots move on the waitlist.

If you're on the waitlist and you call now, they will tell you what part of the waitlist you are in (top 5, top 10, etc). Just be polite and express your strong interest in their school.

If you're on the waitlist, you are what they're looking for! It's just that they only had 75 spots.

I just got in! I'm so excited. PNWU was far and away my top choice. :D

Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist.

I can't say enough good things about the people working at PNWU. They are all super nice and helpful through all of this.

Congrats! That's sweet. Do you know what your position was on the waitlist? I agree that PNWU is a great school, I gave up a seat and am taking another year off to try to get in there. Best of luck.

Rock on! Some of us (myself included) actually like being in smaller places, less people means easier to get around, more community involvement and appreciation, less overall stress, easier, prettier and more adventurous access to outdoors, ahhh, I love small places. SO yeah, please don't apply if you don't want to actually go there! Oh and for the person who thought there website looked like it was from 1995, a lot of us actually find gorgeous pictures of the Pacific Northwest enticing.

Anybody heard anything new about waitlist movement in the past week or two? I would love to go this year, but my app is already in for next. I've started the job search, but my fingers are still crossed just a little bit.

I thought I would ask this to those of you who applied last year. I have 15 quarter hour credits of biological sciences. This is one of my top choices but it appears I'm three credit hours short of their requirements. For organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and physics I have more credits then needed. Has anyone else had this experience? Will they even send me a supplemental application? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I thought I would ask this to those of you who applied last year. I have 15 quarter hour credits of biological sciences. This is one of my top choices but it appears I'm three credit hours short of their requirements. For organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and physics I have more credits then needed. Has anyone else had this experience? Will they even send me a supplemental application? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

As long as you complete the 3 credits before school starts you should be fine. I would advise you to sign up for a 3 credit class this next year and suggest it be a class applicable to your future profession (A&P, biochem, micro would all be a good warm up for 1st year).

As long as you complete the 3 credits before school starts you should be fine. I would advise you to sign up for a 3 credit class this next year and suggest it be a class applicable to your future profession (A&P, biochem, micro would all be a good warm up for 1st year).
Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the advice.

Good news for someone. They called me today to see if I wanted in off the wait list and I said no (I'm going elsewhere).

Good news for someone. They called me today to see if I wanted in off the wait list and I said no (I'm going elsewhere).

You have no idea how jealous I am. I am on the waitlist there and have not heard a thing. I actually turned down an acceptance months ago holding out for PNWU. Good luck to you wherever you are going, I wish that I could get that call.

Does anyone know about PNWU's plan to have a dental school along with their med school anytime soon?

So...as many on the boards keep themselves busy debating over such asinine topics as who has the best rotations and/or MCAT acceptance averages...those of us who 'get it' will be applying to PNWU. PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...if you aren't absolutely ecstatic about this school...DON'T APPLY!!! Please don't take up the interview slots of those who truly want to be here...ok? Feel free to scoff at the $175 secondary fee...I consider myself 'JACKPOT LUCKY' to have the opportunity to pay it.

I'll have to say that I 100% agree with this. I had the opportunity to spend about a month or two in Yakima and really enjoyed myself. Its definately not as wet as the rest of the PNW; and having grown up in Portland (and loving the rainfall) that was an adjustment. Yakima has a lot of great points, and many parts of the NW are similarly under appreciated, and underserved medically. I agree it may not carry the glamour of Boston, LA, or NY, but I'm sure working here and training in the region will provide some opportunities that can't be found elsewhere. I can't wait to put my application in to them.

If you've read my previous posts...as I'm certain some will label me a troll...I remain steadfast in my support of this school. No...I'm not a troll or any form of staff member at the school. I'm simply a person who lives in the area this school will hopefully serve...and has an intimate understanding of the nature of the medically 'under-served' population this school aims to serve.

I hate to keep harping on the same 'Yakima is a pit' statements...but these threads seem consistently to posted by people who, by their own admission, haven't actually been there. As I've said in my previous posts...many, if not most people...have simply driven through Yakima and only stopped for as much as a McDonalds or 'let's fill up the gastank' break. Inevitably, these people have only seen the 4 or 5 blocks that surround the highway (I-82). Anyone that's been outside of their parents basement is able to realize that 'neighborhoods' near freeways aren't likely representative of a community, this is clearly the situation in Yakima. As I've said before and will continue to harp on...Yakima is a beautiful area with a lot to offer...but, as before...you simply aren't gonna discover this until you drive about 40 blocks west of the highway. The Yakima area has abounding outdoor opportunities at all times of the year, something clearly not found near all medical schools. The cost of living in the area (for a student) is extremely on the lower end of the spectrum...this is and should be a major consideration for those non trust-fund students such as myself.

Many will also continue to complain about the feared 'lack of quality clinical sites.' Nothing could be further from truth. Yes, many of the clinical sites will likely be in smaller, community and tertiary hospitals. Anyone with any real experience (beyond housekeeping and a couple hours of shadowing) in a hospital setting recognizes the realities of being a 'student.' 'Students' are much better received in community hospitals and regularly have the opportunities to do things that would never be allowed in larger medical facilities...i.e....you get much more experience in smaller hospitals. In larger institutions you are very clearly competing for time and experience...whereas in many smaller hospitals you are the only 'student' on that day. What a great way to learn and make connections...GET IT???

So...as many on the boards keep themselves busy debating over such asinine topics as who has the best rotations and/or MCAT acceptance averages...those of us who 'get it' will be applying to PNWU. PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...if you aren't absolutely ecstatic about this school...DON'T APPLY!!! Please don't take up the interview slots of those who truly want to be here...ok? Feel free to scoff at the $175 secondary fee...I consider myself 'JACKPOT LUCKY' to have the opportunity to pay it.

I grew up about 50 miles from Yakima, in the Tri-Cities. I lived there for about 19 years .... Yakima isn't exactly where you would expect to put a medical school. It's an extremely small city, that isn't really economically developed.

I would definitively research Yakima before you drop an application there, there isn't much to do there.

I grew up about 50 miles from Yakima, in the Tri-Cities. I lived there for about 19 years .... Yakima isn't exactly where you would expect to put a medical school. It's an extremely small city, that isn't really economically developed.

I would definitively research Yakima before you drop an application there, there isn't much to do there.

first off you do realize that this a fairly o;d thread for the school and a much more current one exist. second, things to do in yakima while in med school-study and study some more. yakima also is not to far from skiing and the mountains if that is your thing. it also isn't the smallest town with a DO school. i see no point to your comment and it isn't like there is a ton of stuff to do in the tri-cities area, and if there were, like you said it isn't too far from yakima.