Purdue c/o 2015 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad I didn't check this forum yesterday -- I would have been a wreck all day! Still no word here, but I'm staying hopeful.

Congratulations to everyone who received good news and good luck to everyone else! Tomorrow's our day!

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious...for those of you who say you love/fell in love with Purdue, what do you like so much about it? It's my IS but I must confess I've only ever been there once to take a look around, so I don't really know much of what I have to look forward to (if/when, etc) :)

My husband's answer: I like the small class sizes, involved professors, family feel, and up-to-date technology. At the interview everyone talked about the family atmosphere and how close you become with classmates and professors.

They seem to have a lot more hands on experience (even in the first 2 years) than I have heard at other schools. We toured Tennessee and talked to a student that really acted like you go crazy not really getting animal interaction in the first 2 years.

I am really interested in surgery and I love the opportunities Purdue gives you for surgery classes.

All the vets I have worked with loved Purdue.

bee83: I gotta say, I really was applying it Purdue for reputation, but once I visited, it was so different then what i expected! As ScooterLover said, its extremely friendly place, it just seemed like all the students were soo nice and the program was excellent. I think the tracking is great for specializing and getting you very focused and experienced in your field of choice. I loved the area, West Lafayette and Lafayette are great places (though very very flat, lol) with housing close by, restaurants, and Chicago at a close day-trip distance. I've heard nothing bad about purdue, and that is a big positive! :D

For the others: I would definitely believe that more phone calls will be going out into next week so don't give up hope!!! :luck::xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been at Purdue for my undergrad, so it was my top choice during the application process. I have toured CSU and Ohio State, but I really like Purdue's smaller class size and everyone is friendly and very family-orientated. I have done a program there last summer and the professors and clinicians are all wanting the students to succeed and do well, and some even mentor students if they are passionate about a particular career path like avian medicine and cardiology.

i agree with everything said previously, but the whole family feeling was the big selling point for me. Coming from CA I was ready to be not very excited about the midwest, but I truly can see myself at Purdue, unfortunately I am still waiting for a response...

Any calls for anyone today?!?!?!?!

Any calls for anyone today?!?!?!?!

Nothing here, but it seems most the calls except Saturday were in the afternoon/evening. Is Purdue even open today? If it is a holiday for the university there may be no calls today :(

But there is always hope for tomorrow or the chance that you could get an acceptance letter without getting a phone call. Good Luck!:luck:

Purdue is open. It is a state entity, not a federal one, so we don't get the holiday.:(

Has anyone heard of Purdue ever offering scholarships to lessen the debt burden on OOS students?

Has anyone heard of Purdue ever offering scholarships to lessen the debt burden on OOS students?

They mentioned it in my interview, and at the banquet they said if you got your FAFSA in by March 1st they could give you a better estimation of things.

The waiting is so nervewracking. I really thought the Dean would have made more phone calls today for sure =/ ...Maybe tomorrow!! Still hanging in thereeee!

No letter in the mail today either!!! I'm from New York though, so it may take longer?

Good luck everyone and congrats to those of you already accepted!!

Members don't see this ad :)
JollyBlueJay, any letter for you yet? I am guessing you would be the first.

There is no letter at my husband's parents house today, but there is still hope it could have gone to our apartment. Does anyone remember if you had to provide an address when filling out your interview information? We had thought we were going to move when we did the VMCAS application so I think we put his parent's address on there and can't remember if we ever had to provide an address to Purdue.

This waiting is really too much.

When the dean called, I asked when to expect a letter-- he said Thursday of this week for me (in Wisconsin).

So I think it's a little early to freak out, even for the Hoosiers! :)

When the dean called, I asked when to expect a letter-- he said Thursday of this week for me (in Wisconsin).

So I think it's a little early to freak out, even for the Hoosiers! :)

THURSDAY? *falls down and dies* :rolleyes:

I got my phone call Saturday (2-19) afternoon.. I was quite surprised the Dean does the calling, it really adds to their 'family' atmosphere- I liked it. I had been on foal watch from 10p-9a and literally woke up to the voice of the Dean at 1:30p. It was quite an interesting way to wake up.. hah i can only imagine what I sounded like. The first few words for most people in the morning do not sound very pleasant.

So what are people doing about housing.. on campus? off campus? does anyone know of any resources we can go to? Here is the link from the admissions website for housing: http://www.vet.purdue.edu/admissions/housing.html

There are only a few listings by vet students, all of which are female.. and i think I'm correct when I say, I doubt females would would want to live with a random male...

LETTER ARRIVED TODAY although our mailwoman was really late today.

My husband is waitlisted. If anyone has been accepted and knows they don't want to go to Purdue please let them know. Not excited about more waiting, but excited that it was not a rejection letter.

Does anyone know the percentage of in state applicants that get off the waitlist?

The letter says ranking are confidential and will not be shared.

My husband is waitlisted. If anyone has been accepted and knows they don't want to go to Purdue please let them know. Not excited about more waiting, but excited that it was not a rejection letter.

Does anyone know the percentage of in state applicants that get off the waitlist?

I know just to hang in there...I honestly think that all my friends who were waitlisted from Purdue/Indiana got in. It may have been awhile, but they all got in and it was probably about 4 people I knew last year.

I got my phone call Saturday (2-19) afternoon.. I was quite surprised the Dean does the calling, it really adds to their 'family' atmosphere- I liked it. I had been on foal watch from 10p-9a and literally woke up to the voice of the Dean at 1:30p. It was quite an interesting way to wake up.. hah i can only imagine what I sounded like. The first few words for most people in the morning do not sound very pleasant.

So what are people doing about housing.. on campus? off campus? does anyone know of any resources we can go to? Here is the link from the admissions website for housing: http://www.vet.purdue.edu/admissions/housing.html

There are only a few listings by vet students, all of which are female.. and i think I'm correct when I say, I doubt females would would want to live with a random male...

Haha one of my roommates my sophomore year was a random guy off craigslist who lived with 3 other females. It was nice having him around actually since he was clean, friendly, and just a laid-back guy. And it took the girl drama down a notch. I am living off-campus, but on-campus tends to have smaller rooms for more $$$. A friend lives in a multi-unit house on campus and pays $700 a month and she's in vet school looking to move out next year off-campus.

If you have any other questions, let me know as I have been at Purdue for awhile now, and now another 4 years!

Yea, I got waitlisted at UMN; it's bitter sweet... I checked my mail at 1:30PM today and didn't see anything. Maybe my mailman is being lazy after the "holiday" yesterday? :xf: I'd be happy to be waitlisted, or even rejected, but especially accepted.....just want to KNOW!!!

Good luck!!!!!!

Yea, I got waitlisted at UMN; it's bitter sweet... I checked my mail at 1:30PM today and didn't see anything. Maybe my mailman is being lazy after the "holiday" yesterday? :xf: I'd be happy to be waitlisted, or even rejected, but especially accepted.....just want to KNOW!!!

Good luck!!!!!!

Just met my mailman at the boxes....

NOTHING :eek:

I just want to know already..

Just curious...for those of you who say you love/fell in love with Purdue, what do you like so much about it? It's my IS but I must confess I've only ever been there once to take a look around, so I don't really know much of what I have to look forward to (if/when, etc) :)

I really loved the community. You're going to be with your classmates for years and Purdue felt like a family and home. While waiting for my interview, students and faculty would talk to me so I wouldn't freak out. Small class size typically means more hands on experience. The teaching hospital was set up really nicely. Tracking is a plus too.

I want to get my MPH and Purdue allows you to do both within 4 years. The infectious disease program and opportunities for international medicine were huge selling points for me :thumbup:

Oh and it's nice that Purdue is in a somewhat bigger city West Lafayette/ Lafayette compared to most vet schools. And Chicago isn't too far!

so does this mean the calls are over? :confused:

I guess so....

I didn't get one, but I guess some people did not get one last year and still had an acceptance letter...

But who knows... Keeping my hopes up

Anyone end up getting a phone call today?

Purdue is my last hope.....:scared:

That's likely the total difference in tuition. ~20k for IS tution, ~40k for OOS tuition, spread over 4 years = $80k difference.

:smack:

Doi. Sorry, having a mathematical moment there apparently... that and an "OMG, did I miss something??!!" moment

Does anyone know someone who is IS, got an interview and received a rejection letter? I am just wondering if everyone gets waitlisted. They basically cut the applicant pool in half when choosing for interviews it seems like they may need to put everyone on the waitlist just to have enough in state candidates.

Haha, I kinda just accept the extraordinary cost of vet school, especially being OOS no matter what. I was also wondering about scholarships/grants available (merit vs. need based?) because I would like to not be in debt until I'm ancient. lol Also does anyone who has received letters yet know what the deposit is? I'm in New Jersey and I have a feeling it will take a few more days for me to get my official letter.

So far, Purdue is where I'm headed :D:D:D, (unless a miracle happens and I get off the wait-list at my first choice). I'm going to be a broiler maker! :laugh:

Dancing to the mail gods...... please get my letter down here to florida tomorrow so I won't be tormented anymore. Please!!!!!!

Does anyone know someone who is IS, got an interview and received a rejection letter? I am just wondering if everyone gets waitlisted. They basically cut the applicant pool in half when choosing for interviews it seems like they may need to put everyone on the waitlist just to have enough in state candidates.

I know some IL undergrads here that were accepted, but just attended interviews at U of I this past week. They want to get into their own state school to lessen the cost, so hopefully they get accepted there!

I was accepted at Purdue as OOS and just interviewed for my IS (Illinois).

At Illinois, everyone who was interviewed is either accepted or waitlisted -- no rejections. Purdue is probably similar.

If I give up my OOS spot, my understanding is it goes to the next person on the OOS waitlist, *not* to an IS.

Any more today? Mail came here (Ohio), and still no word. Blarg!

Any more today? Mail came here (Ohio), and still no word. Blarg!

Purdue is messing with me!!! They mailed me a pamphlet on "Authorship Rights: Critical Implications for your Current and Future Research" last night. But no word about acceptances or rejections...

Does that seem unusually cruel to you?

I was accepted at Purdue as OOS and just interviewed for my IS (Illinois).

At Illinois, everyone who was interviewed is either accepted or waitlisted -- no rejections. Purdue is probably similar.

If I give up my OOS spot, my understanding is it goes to the next person on the OOS waitlist, *not* to an IS.

I think they probably offer more admissions to OOS and then when they are turned down some are given to IS. Otherwise the numbers would not match up. I hear all the time that IS are almost always waitlisted and a lot of them do get in, but only 3-6 instaters reject their admission offer each year. It doesn't add up.

It makes since they would offer more to OOS since they get so many turn downs.

I think they probably offer more admissions to OOS and then when they are turned down some are given to IS. Otherwise the numbers would not match up. I hear all the time that IS are almost always waitlisted and a lot of them do get in, but only 3-6 instaters reject their admission offer each year. It doesn't add up.

It makes since they would offer more to OOS since they get so many turn downs.

Balls sandwhich, waitlisted. Secretly ranked too! So now it's a waiting game...

And I don't know how they do it Scooter. If it's like Minnesota, they have two seperate pools of admissions, IS and OOS, and two seperate pools of waitlisters. When spaces open up, applicants are offered a spot depending on their status. That made sense. But they also told me my rank, which also makes sense. What's with Purdue's admissions process?? :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Waitlisted.

I received the snail mail yesterday. Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was waiting to tell someone in person.

JollyBlueJay - your "balls sandwich" made me laugh. I had the same reaction. Only I used worse language. :)

But now I think I'm relieved to get the letter, actually. At least I've heard SOMETHING. The last three weeks have been so hard to focus on anything other than whether or not Purdue would call, whether or not the mail had good news... Now I can get back to thinking about other things. Like work, for example. My boss will be glad to get his employee back. :laugh:

Congratulations to everyone accepted! That's awesome!! I'm crossing my fingers for April for the rest of us.

I remember hearing at the banquet that a lot of IS were waitlisted (almost all) and that the point was to settle up the class with OOS first! I'm OOS and am still waiting for a letter but I think you have a lot of reasons to stay hopeful!!

The vet student who sat at my table at the banquet said that she was waitlisted as an IS and that most of her classmates were too!! ... so hang in there!!!!

Hopefully they stick OOSers on waitlist too and don't just reject us =(

Do they over-accept OOS for a certain number of seats? Virginia-Maryland did that so it was basically a mad rush to get your deposit in or else your seat was lost, even if you were accepted. :(

Do they over-accept OOS for a certain number of seats? Virginia-Maryland did that so it was basically a mad rush to get your deposit in or else your seat was lost, even if you were accepted. :(

I have heard of other schools overbooking too, but I don't think Purdue does it. I think their strategy is just to waitlist the IS people to clear more spots for OOS acceptances and then they balance it out after getting OOS rejections. For all we know only 4 IS got in right now and 80 OOS got accepted. Just a scenario.

I just hate that most people wont be telling Purdue they don't want to go there until April 15th and rightfully so as they may not have acceptance from their first choice. It just makes it a lot of waiting for us. We have to move and may need to live with my husband's parents for awhile until we find something out.

Steph thanks for the encouragement. I think there is still lots of hope, just not enough certainty to move straight up to West Lafayette. Hoping to hear sooner than later.

Last edited:
I have heard of other schools overbooking too, but I don't think Purdue does it. I think their strategy is just to waitlist the IS people to clear more spots for OOS acceptances and then they balance it out after getting OOS rejections. For all we know only 4 IS got in right now and 80 OOS got accepted. Just a scenario.

I just hate that most people wont be telling Purdue they don't want to go there until April 15th and rightfully so as they may not have acceptance from their first choice. It just makes it a lot of waiting for us. We have to move and may need to live with my husband's parents for awhile until we find something out.

Thanks, I know the feeling since I was wait-listed at my first choice. I won't be able to hear back until well after April 15th. But I absolutely love Purdue and I am not sad at all that its where I'm going now. Maybe plans will change and i'll leave a spot open for others here :idea: But, I'm sure I'll get to see a lot of you in the fall! :D

Jesus christ on crackers, waitlisted at BOTH my schools? :eek:

Got my letter from Purdue today, and yup, I'm an alternate (OOS). I wish they told us our ranking, so at least I'd have SOME sense of my odds, ya know?

Got my letter from Purdue today, and yup, I'm an alternate (OOS). I wish they told us our ranking, so at least I'd have SOME sense of my odds, ya know?

Hey, a waitlist isn't a NO!!! Congrats on 2 waitlists, you will get off of one!!

I glad to hear that they are waitlisting OOS students....as I am still waiting on my letter....too bad I live in the boonies, it probably won't get here for a few more days. :eek:

Heeheehee... Christ crackers....

But seriously, I wonder the reason for not telling us the ranking? Is it to keep some people in suspense when they don't have a chance in hell? Or is it to make those #1 and #2 spot people cry and question themselves when they're pretty much okay.

In either case, I'm seriously beginning to wonder about the Purdue admissions people...... They seemed so nice over the phone / email...... Hmmmmm.....

Heeheehee... Christ crackers....

But seriously, I wonder the reason for not telling us the ranking? Is it to keep some people in suspense when they don't have a chance in hell? Or is it to make those #1 and #2 spot people cry and question themselves when they're pretty much okay.

Maybe to keep #15 from making a hit list to improve their odds? :laugh:

Seriously?!?!?!? :shifty: That is just not cool. But I have a feeling that Purdue's wait-list will move along more than Tufts will, so I know you will get in!! Here is to moving along on wait-lists and having everything work out for the best! :claps: