Purdue c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone! I've thought about applying to Purdue when I get to that point. I live in Florida now, but all my extended family lives in Indiana. I lived in Lafayette for several years when I was a kid. It's a great college town :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what to where to the banquet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's fine to wear the same outfit to the interview and dinner?

Does anyone know what to where to the banquet?
Whatever is most comfortable for you. A few years ago I know I changed shoes (from heels to flats), but I saw lots of slacks with sweaters and the like too. You can wear what you did to the interview or change into something more comfortable/warm. It's up to you!

Reactions: 1 users
I wore a nice blouse and black dress pants to the dinner two years ago

Good luck tomorrow! Take it easy, Purdue is pretty relaxed and "family" like so try not to stress too hard. Likely you'll go in all nervous and after answering a few questions you'll relax a bit. Lots of students will be hanging around to talk to you and answer questions while you are waiting. And if you need help locating a room feel free to ask anyone! I work in the library from 1-5 on Friday, so feel free to stop by the front desk if you have any questions!

Some people wear the same thing from interviews some people change into something less formal for the dinner. Just be comfy, don't worry about looking business like. Slacks and a shirt are fine. Just dress WARM. it shouldn't be bad inside the hall but lafayette is cold.

You'll walk in the north doors and the folders with your interview information and agenda for the day will be in the lobby. Turn to the left and you'll find the big lecture hall where your introduction talk will be. The library is also right next to it. If you turned right you would find student services down that hallway. Across from student services I think there will be some refreshments, but don't quote me on that I'm not 100% sure.

There is a little cafe to eat inside the vet school for lunch or you can walk north to the union where there are lots of little restaurants in the basement. (Go to Pappy's sweet shop-- they have awesome fudge and milkshakes!) there are also vending machines in various locations of the school.

Have fun!!

Reactions: 6 users
I hope everyone's interview went/is going well :) Remember to have some fun at the banquet and ask the students ANYTHING. I know they're all really excited to meet you and help you out :)

I was just wondering if anyone else who has an interview here on the 29th are also going to Ohio State the next day?

I was just wondering if anyone else who has an interview here on the 29th are also going to Ohio State the next day?
I am...going to OSU...but to pick up a friend, not interview. It will be a long weekend of driving.
OSU must really stretch their dates out. My friend's interview was a few weeks ago at least. It's a great program. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have had the interview how did it go? What types of questions did they ask about your experiences? Were they super specific? Mine is on the 29th... I'm worried they are going to ask me like hard medical questions and I'm just gonna sit there like uhhhhhhh because even though I interned at a vet clinic, I still have alot to learn.

For those of you who have had the interview how did it go? What types of questions did they ask about your experiences? Were they super specific? Mine is on the 29th... I'm worried they are going to ask me like hard medical questions and I'm just gonna sit there like uhhhhhhh because even though I interned at a vet clinic, I still have alot to learn.
I didn't have any medical questions at all. It was actually pretty relaxed and easy. Look at the interview feedback on this website, a lot of the questions are the same. I was really impressed by the school and the city. I had a great time. Good luck!

Does anyone know when they expect to hear about decisions?

Does anyone know when they expect to hear about decisions?
In the past, people started getting calls around 2-3 weeks after interviews are over. They are spread out over several days so if you don't get one the first day- DON'T PANIC! I got the call Feb 14th, and I had friends get it Feb 12-16/17 the year I applied.

I have an interview this Friday afternoon and plan on going up earlier for some of the info sessions - I live in Indy. I'm going up on my own - anybody want to carpool? I'd like to be there in time for the 10AM session (Life as a Vet Student).

I have an interview this Friday afternoon and plan on going up earlier for some of the info sessions - I live in Indy. I'm going up on my own - anybody want to carpool? I'd like to be there in time for the 10AM session (Life as a Vet Student).
Are you staying for dinner? I'm going solo this year.

I didn't have any medical questions at all. It was actually pretty relaxed and easy. Look at the interview feedback on this website, a lot of the questions are the same. I was really impressed by the school and the city. I had a great time. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! It made me feel a lot better. What sorts of questions did they ask about your experiences?

Are jeans and a nice sweater acceptable for guests at the banquet?

This is for my fiance :) I didn't want him to feel over or under dressed!

This is for my fiance :) I didn't want him to feel over or under dressed!
Slacks and a button down would be fine, no tie or jacket needed (except that its really cold). I don't think I would wear jeans though. A different faculty member sits at every table, so I am personally would go dressier rather than more casual.

Getting ready to board my flight to Indy from NC! Nerves are starting to set in

So this is slightly off the topic of interviews (good luck tomorrow everyone!) But has anyone spoken to current students about the general competitiveness between students? It seemed like a very cooperative environment when I visited last week, but I recently spoke to someone who is applying to Purdue for a Phd in Psych at who said something (maybe) different. Part of their tour mentioned that the vet school has its own psychologist, who seems awesome, because of how competitive vet school is. Now I assumed that this was because like all vet schools, it's a hard program and people are stressed. However, she took it to mean that the environment between students is cutthroat. I wouldn't normally take too much weight on a person's opinion who isn't in vet school. However, this is not someone I know very well and she actually contacted me out of the bue because she was worried about me applying to Purdue without knowing about this hostile atmosphere.

So basically I'm asking, does anyone know if there is any true to what she was saying or was she just misinterpreting a hard curriculum as students being competitive against each other?

So this is slightly off the topic of interviews (good luck tomorrow everyone!) But has anyone spoken to current students about the general competitiveness between students? It seemed like a very cooperative environment when I visited last week, but I recently spoke to someone who is applying to Purdue for a Phd in Psych at who said something (maybe) different. Part of their tour mentioned that the vet school has its own psychologist, who seems awesome, because of how competitive vet school is. Now I assumed that this was because like all vet schools, it's a hard program and people are stressed. However, she took it to mean that the environment between students is cutthroat. I wouldn't normally take too much weight on a person's opinion who isn't in vet school. However, this is not someone I know very well and she actually contacted me out of the bue because she was worried about me applying to Purdue without knowing about this hostile atmosphere.

So basically I'm asking, does anyone know if there is any true to what she was saying or was she just misinterpreting a hard curriculum as students being competitive against each other?

I would say most, if not all vet schools have their own psychologist/social work department. I don't think it is purely because of a competitive environment (although I'm sure students may see utilize those resources if they feel like it is too competitive, etc.) but rather for the same reasons undergraduate institutions all have such mental health resources. Mental illness is problem in the veterinary profession especially that seems to have come to light in just the past couple years. Check out the study done in May 2015 about the high rate of mental illness for veterinarians compared to the rest of the adult population. So yeah I don't think they are there because of a notion that veterinary school is cuttthroat or anything like that but rather as a mental health resource for anything at all, whether related to education, family, social life, etc. during your time in veterinary school.

just arrived at the holiday in at center city. My parents didn't come with, anyone else out there, parentless? At some point I'll be going to grab some dinner, if you want to join feel free to let me know.

Purdue isn't cutthroat at all. One of the very first presentations we received during orientation was a speech that told us to leave our competitive attitudes at the door because now we were now classmates and colleagues and we needed to work together to get the most out of our education. They bring this point up in class at times, too, and we're not competitive with one another. We have a class quizlet and Google Drive where we share flashcards, notes, helpful websites, ect. The psychological is there for when we need to vent about the stress related to classwork. She also set up fun de-stressing activities around finals week last semester. I'm sure you'll hear this during interviews from various students but the factor that drew me to the vet school was the friendliness and family-like atmosphere at the school.

Thanks, I was pretty sure that this person I know was just misunderstanding the meaning of the word "competitive" but I wanted to run it by people who might know better!

Hey guys,

I am interviewing tomorrow, and I am worried I wont be able to find the right place to go. I drove around today and I think I found the garage we are supposed to park in. Where exactly is the shuttle picking us up? Also other people who are parking, what time will you be there? We can find the shuttle together!

Hey guys,

I am interviewing tomorrow, and I am worried I wont be able to find the right place to go. I drove around today and I think I found the garage we are supposed to park in. Where exactly is the shuttle picking us up? Also other people who are parking, what time will you be there? We can find the shuttle together!

Hey,

I'm planing to be there at 6:30 or 6:45. I need to find this garage tonight don't want to be lost tomorrow ^_^

Hey guys,

I am interviewing tomorrow, and I am worried I wont be able to find the right place to go. I drove around today and I think I found the garage we are supposed to park in. Where exactly is the shuttle picking us up? Also other people who are parking, what time will you be there? We can find the shuttle toget
Hey,

I'm planing to be there at 6:30 or 6:45. I need to find this garage tonight don't want to be lost tomorrow ^_^

Thanks! I am glad we can be lost together!!

The shuttle pulls up on the street right out front. There are signs. Don't stress.:) and it drops you off right in front of the building

Just arrived in town and I am excited for tomorrow! Good luck everyone!

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! I will be in the first year experience table, down in G210 at 12:45. I'll be in a purple sweater. Please don't hesitate to ask me anything!

I'll also be attending the banquet tomorrow evening.

Purdue People,

I had to leave a bit early today, but thanks so much for being so nice! Your school is lovely and everyone seems to be so happy there. Thanks students for being so nice to all us nervous interviewees!

I just finished with my interview. I LOVE this school!

Does anyone know the exact address we can send thank you notes to?

Guys! The admissions committee is meeting tomorrow so HOPEFULLY you'll hear back by the end of the week (we did last year)!

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah if you see a 765 nunber...I highly recommend picking up xD

Last edited:
So nervous! But I just want the wait to end already!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck guys! Let us know what you hear over the next few days. And for those of you who are lucky enough to be accepted into the PVM family, please do not hesitate to ask me anything :)