Questions about Western Comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback from current Comp students regarding their feelings about the school. I'm currently deciding between KCOM and Western, and I'm stuck on a couple of issues.

1. Something I really liked about Kcom was that they seemed to offer a lot of the little extras that could make the first two years more fulfilling. Such as, an .exercise facility, intramurals, activities for spouses (which is big for me), and overall student commradarie. Are most or all of these things missing from Western? It appeared that the only extracurricular non-academic activity available was an outdoor basketball hoop just off campus.

2. How do current students at Comp feel about the new curriculum for next year, the integrated course in which the medical students work cases with nurses and other providers? I know no one has actually experienced it yet, but maybe there is some insight that I haven't been able to find on my own. I asked my professor interviewers about how they felt about this course, they basically said that they weren't very excited about it, but lets wait and see kind of thing.

3. Sorry for another Kcom vs Western question, but can anyone provide insight into the quality of rotations at western compared to kcom. One big positive for western for me is that I wouldn't have to re-locate my 3rd year. However, I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality in rotation experience for the inconvenience of moving.

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

***I'm not a current COMP student, I am only a lowly pre-med :D **

I just want to comment on your first point about KCOM offering outside sources of entertainment. I think it is great for them to do this, but one of the reasons they may offer that type of things is because Kirksville is so small. Not that it being small/rural is bad in any way, just that they may feel the need to give something to the students and the spouses. At COMP you are about 1hr (around) from LA so I would think that there are so many things to choose from the school doesn't have to offer anything for you or your spouse.

I know COMP does have a lot of clubs, not sure on the intramurals or anything else though. Good luck and I hope others can provide assistance on your other questions.

Beckhunter makes a good point, LA is slightly more exciting than rural Missouri. But if you want more info than that, please check the info on this page:

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/student

Unfortunately, not being a COMP student yet, I can't really comment on the new curriculum.

Finally, it's very difficult to compare or quantify rotational experiences across schools, and I'm not even remotely familiar with KCOM's rotations. However, from what I've heard about Western, their rotations are more than solid. They have developed good relationships with several major hospitals in the area, and have a system for helping students get the core rotations they want. They also allow you to set up independent elective rotations domestically or internationally, though I believe it's possible to stick with more established rotations in the LA area if you so desire.

Ultimately, the choice is up to you and is determined by what you think is important. But while I'm a big fan of Western, I don't think you can go wrong with either. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to get some feedback from current Comp students regarding their feelings about the school. I'm currently deciding between KCOM and Western, and I'm stuck on a couple of issues.

1. Something I really liked about Kcom was that they seemed to offer a lot of the little extras that could make the first two years more fulfilling. Such as, an .exercise facility, intramurals, activities for spouses (which is big for me), and overall student commradarie. Are most or all of these things missing from Western? It appeared that the only extracurricular non-academic activity available was an outdoor basketball hoop just off campus.

they offer a gym membership for 30 bucks at bally's or a refund of $100 if you already have a gym plus you get to go the YMCA by school for free with ID/ as for the spouse I am not sure but they do have a thing called the complement club where the significant other plan trip and activities. The student help each other out we have a class website where we share info and class assignments for example questions to ask during standardized patient encouters, not answers to homework of things like that.

2. How do current students at Comp feel about the new curriculum for next year, the integrated course in which the medical students work cases with nurses and other providers? I know no one has actually experienced it yet, but maybe there is some insight that I haven't been able to find on my own. I asked my professor interviewers about how they felt about this course, they basically said that they weren't very excited about it, but lets wait and see kind of thing.

It is not bad very low stress and pressure it's basically show up and participate. we had aour first class last week. It is not meant to be more work.

3. Sorry for another Kcom vs Western question, but can anyone provide insight into the quality of rotations at western compared to kcom. One big positive for western for me is that I wouldn't have to re-locate my 3rd year. However, I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality in rotation experience for the inconvenience of moving.

we rotate at arrowhead, USC, Downey and Riverside county among some they are great... Arrowhead is the second biggest ER in the state after USC. If that is what is scaring you that is really not an issue the sites are really good.

Thanks everyone

this may already be too late... but hope this helped

COMP Graduate from 2005. When I was a first year and second year, a group of us joined an indoor city soccer league and that was a blast. We had a "DOPA" party first year I believe....joint venture between the DOs and PAs and it was a disco theme. Played golf with a few friends occasionally. Study groups. A few beach trips and softball games at local parks. Lots of clubs as someone mentioned. Good friend and I would go mountain biking occasionally. Plenty to do outside of class if you want. Don't know much about any new curriculum. Vegas is 4 hr drive.

Vince

It might be a little late, I see this thread is from Jan, but as a second year student at COMP, I thought I would tell you from experience that there is LOTS of camaraderie at Western, particularly in my class. We have done everything from soccer, football, trips to pirate adventures, beer olympics 2 years running, and we recreated the Hammer flash dance LOL Basically, I love my class. There is much more that I could mention, but what it comes down to is none of this is necessarily school sponsored, with exception of the leagues for sports, but our class, through the power of facebook networking, arranges these events, and we make it happen. I have had a blast, or about as good as you can while in the first two years of medical school, and most of that is thanks to my awesome classmates. I hope this helps!!