RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, it will exceed the specs you posted for performance by a fairly large margin, processor-wise.
Exactly.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys!

I finally talked to computer support at SGU and the very nice lady was very confused. She forwarded the specs to the guy who is writing the new computerized exams program and he will hopefully give final word, and hopefully then go clarify that weird Pentium III thing on the website. But for now I guess I can stick with this machine?

So, you're saying that this computer is capable of performing the same number of processes/ preforms at the same level as a similar processor clocked at 2Ghz and I should be fine?
You'd have to define "similar". Comparing different processor designs is like comparing apples and oranges. It's almost impossible to directly compare a Pentium III, which is a 13 y/o design, with a modern hybrid CPU/GPU processor, except by using composite scores like those I posted above.

If you want a direct comparison to another somewhat similar, modern processor, it's closest comparison, going by PCMark Vantage, is the Intel Core 2 Duo T6670, which is also dual core and runs at 2.2 Ghz

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E-300-Notebook-Processor.60141.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T6670-Notebook-Processor.34484.0.html

You'll see the error bars significantly overlap between the two on the PCMark Vantage scores, so their performance should be essentially the same.

Unfortunately, the specs on the SGU page were written in the days when Intel was essentially the only game in town and processors were directly comparable by clock frequency alone for performance. That's no longer true, since performance these days is not only measures in clock frequency, but also in the number of cores, and the efficiency of execution per clock cycle.

Execution efficiency is a frustrating metric unless one really gets into processor operation as well as design. Overall, if a 1.3 Ghz processor can execute let's say 10 instructions per clock cycle, and a 2.0 Ghz processor by another company can only execute 5 of those same instructions per clock cycle, despite the frequency of the first processor being lower, it is twice as efficient per clock cycle. This means, using an apple to apple comparison, the first processor actually operates as if it was a 2.6 Ghz processor. Problem is, it's not that simple, since one has to take cores, threads, and extensions into consideration, as well as for what the system is most frequently used (so that particular set of instructions are emphasized).

Put it all together, and it can be very difficult these days to figure out exactly what processor one wants. This is most likely the reason the page on the SGU website hasn't updated it's processor recommendation in more than a decade, because no one wanted to bother trying to digest all the latest information on a regular basis and take the chance on someone showing up with the wrong hardware based on someone listing the wrong specs on the webpage. If they use old, out of date info which makes it difficult to determine the actual specifications one needs then the person who maintains that page can't be blamed if someone comes with the wrong hardware, they can just shrug and say "Well, the information is posted" even if it's totally meaningless.

Sorry to everyone in this thread if it was all way too technical and annoying. For undergrad. I did a dual major in Biochemistry and Computer Engineering, so I tend to go overboard with the technical stuff sometimes.

Thanks guys!

I finally talked to computer support at SGU and the very nice lady was very confused. She forwarded the specs to the guy who is writing the new computerized exams program and he will hopefully give final word, and hopefully then go clarify that weird Pentium III thing on the website. But for now I guess I can stick with this machine?
I would be truly amazed if they somehow managed to come up with a computerized exam that would best the system you were given, as not only is the CPU decent, but the GPU is quite strong, being a 63xx series Radeon. If your exam required complex, real-time, pixel accurate ray tracing models, you might have a problem, but, the chances of that happening are just about as likely as me being elected the next president of the free world.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:love::love::love:
PetMySausage, you are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

I would be truly amazed if they somehow managed to come up with a computerized exam that would best the system you were given, given that not only is the CPU decent, but the GPU is quite strong, being a 63xx series Radeon. If your exam required complex, real-time, pixel accurate ray tracing models, you might have a problem, but, the chances of that happening are just about as likely as me being elected the next president of the free world.
:laugh:

And yeah, sorry to the other folks who are not technophiles.

Utterly appalled at what I witnessed today. A small dog was in a car while the owner "just went in to return some shoes" at Target today. For those not in the Rochester area, it is 95 degrees out right now. Before I pulled up in the parking lot, people had noticed the dog barking in the backseat, but didn't do anything about it. Finally someone came in and requested that they mention the license plate over the loudspeaker. Well that took about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, a young man unlocked the car through the window and rescued this poor little thing. He was hot to the touch, panting like crazy, his paws were sweaty, and he was unbelievably thirsty. Mall security arrived and we put the little pooch in his air conditioned truck. Three of us and the security guy stood outside and waited for this lady for another 20 minutes. TWENTY MINUTES. Finally she comes traipsing out all like "uuhhh well I cracked the windows!" #foreheadslap. For those that don't know, on a 95 degree day like today, the temperature in a car rises to 120 degrees in 5 minutes. This dog would have been in there for over 30, and he likely would have died. Sheriff shows up and does what? NOTHING. "well, did the dog die?" No, because we RESCUED HIM. I'm like, "there's a lesson to be learned here," but nope. No consequences to be had. in fact, I was told to walk away and go home. Great, thanks for all you do, Henrietta Sheriff's Department. Glad to see you're so concerned with our furry friends and the idiots who (shouldn't) own them. Very disappointed today

Here's the little guy after we put him in the AC and gave him some H2O.

181462_790958780138_48274788_n.jpg

Utterly appalled at what I witnessed today. A small dog was in a car while the owner "just went in to return some shoes" at Target today. For those not in the Rochester area, it is 95 degrees out right now. Before I pulled up in the parking lot, people had noticed the dog barking in the backseat, but didn't do anything about it. Finally someone came in and requested that they mention the license plate over the loudspeaker. Well that took about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, a young man unlocked the car through the window and rescued this poor little thing. He was hot to the touch, panting like crazy, his paws were sweaty, and he was unbelievably thirsty. Mall security arrived and we put the little pooch in his air conditioned truck. Three of us and the security guy stood outside and waited for this lady for another 20 minutes. TWENTY MINUTES. Finally she comes traipsing out all like "uuhhh well I cracked the windows!" #foreheadslap. For those that don't know, on a 95 degree day like today, the temperature in a car rises to 120 degrees in 5 minutes. This dog would have been in there for over 30, and he likely would have died. Sheriff shows up and does what? NOTHING. "well, did the dog die?" No, because we RESCUED HIM. I'm like, "there's a lesson to be learned here," but nope. No consequences to be had. in fact, I was told to walk away and go home. Great, thanks for all you do, Henrietta Sheriff's Department. Glad to see you're so concerned with our furry friends and the idiots who (shouldn't) own them. Very disappointed today

I saw this on FB and got angry. :mad: You should have just stolen him. She probably wouldn't have even noticed. People can be really ignorant.

Cute puppy. I'm glad you guys at least got him out of there!

I saw this on FB and got angry. :mad: You should have just stolen him. She probably wouldn't have even noticed. People can be really ignorant.

yeah, I didn't feel like re-typing the whole thing, so I just copy and pasted. but UGH! I was livid. It took a lot for me to not go crazy on this lady's ass. We had just saved her freaking dog and she was just thankful she didn't get any consequences. I am still shaking from this whole thing. I just can't believe there were no consequences.

That is truly awful. I agree, animal negligence needs laws need to be more stringent. Some people may not agree with me, but I really and truly think that animal cruelty and child cruelty are on par because both have innocent and helpless victims. :(

Oh, and forgot to mention the lady was in a handicapped spot with no registration or evidence of being handicapped. GRRRRRR. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Right?!!? Ugh, my faith in humanity is dwindling.

see what I posted in the RAVE thread, might give you some faith back :)

That is really horrible about the doggie though :( I'm glad you were there to help at least!! Imagine the people that saw it in there, walked by, and did NOTHING!

I'm not getting any love from my big sib. She emailed me after finals ended, and I emailed her the next day. That was two weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything since. I shot her another email to make sure she got it (and apologized if she did and she was just busy), but I'm sad. I don't want to come across as annoying on the facebook page either, because I've been posting a lot but I have so many questions and would really like to talk to my big sib about them. And I've been talking to EllieGirl a bit but I don't want to bother her much either. *sigh* :(

Had something similar happen last month, but when the customers at the grocery store called the cops, they brought him in to our clinic, told us to treat and then they pressed charges. Luckily the little guy was no worse for wear but I'm glad they actually wanted to do something about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

ugh. my friends suck. I totally had plans with two of my "best" friends tonight and they BOTH bailed. One of them I haven't seen since school ended the first week of May and she's always busy with her husband. The other has a habit of bailing on our play dates without letting me know until I ask her right before. Even worse, both of them most likely knew they were going to be busy tonight before I texted them this afternoon, but did they think to tell me? nope. I wonder if they would have ever let me know if I hadn't asked them. So now I'm stuck at home trying to write a stupid finance paper.

I really wish I had a dog with me right now. I could really use a good long walk with the best company around.

oh AND my internet really sucks and I'm trying to watch the bachelorette.

+pity+ first world problems, I know lol. But at least I'm able to see how pathetic I am, right?!;)

Holy crap!!! Can you find someone else to shadow?!?!?!?

I'm definately going to try to tommorrow. At first, I was planning on shadowing her again if I absolutely couldn't find somebody else. However, after thinking about it, I definately don't want to be stuck in a truck with her again and she's not somebody that I want to learn from. It's not worth it.

The only bad part is I know that there's a strong chance I might run into her again at the fair because her kid is in 4-H with my brothers.

Had something similar happen last month, but when the customers at the grocery store called the cops, they brought him in to our clinic, told us to treat and then they pressed charges. Luckily the little guy was no worse for wear but I'm glad they actually wanted to do something about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

That makes my heart feel a bit better- thank you for sharing.

Just sent in an assignment... One of the questions I answered word for word from the professor's typed course guide (that he wrote and has used for years and years). He gave me a zero for the question and simply wrote "not true" as his explanation.... Mmmmmmkay dude.

I'm definately going to try to tommorrow. At first, I was planning on shadowing her again if I absolutely couldn't find somebody else. However, after thinking about it, I definately don't want to be stuck in a truck with her again and she's not somebody that I want to learn from. It's not worth it.

The only bad part is I know that there's a strong chance I might run into her again at the fair because her kid is in 4-H with my brothers.
If you do just be friendly and polite, don't bring it up. If she does just thank her but tell her you found someone closer or with more compatible hours or something along those lines. :luck: to you!

Just sent in an assignment... One of the questions I answered word for word from the professor's typed course guide (that he wrote and has used for years and years). He gave me a zero for the question and simply wrote "not true" as his explanation.... Mmmmmmkay dude.
Can you prove to him that he explained the question that way?

Yeah I'm going to, it just annoys me. He did it twice now :eyeroll:
I hate that. Especially when what they have in the slides significantly differs from the text, and when asked which one to use for reference they say the slides, then you give that answer, and they say it's wrong, and when asked why, they point to the text. Makes me want to howl.

Also, I'm starting to think this "Lounge" place you guys keep talking about doesn't really exist. It's just a running joke, like when the seniors tell the freshman in HS about the pool on the roof.

Last edited:
I hate that. Especially when what they have in the slides significantly differs from the text, and when asked which one to use for reference they say the slides, then you give that answer, and they say it's wrong, and when asked why, they point to the text. Makes me want to howl.

Also, I'm starting to think this "Lounge" place you guys keep talking about doesn't really exist. It's just a running joke, some place you tell newbies exists, like they do to freshman in HS when they say their is a pool on the roof.

You still can't see it?

pokemon-gif-omg-noob.gif

Also, I'm starting to think this "Lounge" place you guys keep talking about doesn't really exist. It's just a running joke, like when the seniors tell the freshman in HS about the pool on the roof.

It's called the "the wolf's den" right now I believe. And if you think WE'RE playing a joke, wait till you get there :smuggrin:

It's called the "the wolf's den" right now I believe. And if you think WE'RE playing a joke, wait till you get there :smuggrin:

For serious! :smuggrin: Not sure you want to rush over there unless you want to get your ass handed to you... they are not nice to the noobs....

I was going to say the same thing dev :laugh: Also, I was going to shorten Sausage's name but it's uh, PMS. Lol

Sent from my LG-LS840 using SDN Mobile

I was going to say the same thing dev :laugh: Also, I was going to shorten Sausage's name but it's uh, PMS. Lol

We've said before that that's ok. :smuggrin:

Lol shut it Em. My work had certain scrubs for each day :p Anywho I would have bet money that I washed them but nope. Found them in a wad in the hamper. Wearing spare scrubs lol. Color coordinating as best I can lol

Lol shut it Em. My work had certain scrubs for each day :p Anywho I would have bet money that I washed them but nope. Found them in a wad in the hamper. Wearing spare scrubs lol. Color coordinating as best I can lol

Really, they color-coordinate by day?

LOL! They do ya butt! It's so that we all match. :laugh: Is this not common practice?

Sounds like you're in the perfect place... full of OCD TypeA's like you :smuggrin:

(I'm allowed to tease you based on the OCD arse post I just put in the co2016 thread ;) )

Sounds like you're in the perfect place... full of OCD TypeA's like you :smuggrin:

(I'm allowed to tease you based on the OCD arse post I just put in the co2016 thread ;) )

Bahahahahaha! *I* am OCD. And even funnier, *I* am type A. :laugh: :p

Aaaaaand I forgot my purse. Sweet lol

Nope.

Someone sent me what they said was the link over PM:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=25

and all I get is an error message.

Maybe you have to be here for a full 30 days before you can access it? I clicked on that link, it brought me to it. But yeah, they don't like new people. Still come over though, just might want to lurk like me. :laugh: I rarely post over there. The Pre-vets are slowly taking over!

Maybe you have to be here for a full 30 days before you can access it? I clicked on that link, it brought me to it. But yeah, they don't like new people. Still come over though, just might want to lurk like me. :laugh: I rarely post over there. The Pre-vets are slowly taking over!
That makes sense. Must be a constant orgy/bloodbath if they have to restrict access to it :scared:

I think I'll lurk once I can see it. I don't need to be eaten alive by vicious, horny wolves. :eek:

and all of you freaks will be in the right OCD Type A place at vet school.

not me, i'm hella out of place.

So I've heard :laugh:. I'm a pretty good mix of both so I think I will be somewhere in the middle.