RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long time lurker...first time poster. My rant lately is that every time I think about finishing my pre-reqs and applying to schools I really feel like im going to vomit.

The level of how overwhelmed I feel lately is awful. Please tell me I am not alone.

MommaFox, you are so NOT alone! I'm a second time applicant and have received rejections from half of my schools already (3 within 2 days!). I won't lie, when people began getting Davis invites (my IS) I went home and cried like a baby knowing I was going to be rejected! This is definitely emotionally draining and I'm surprised I haven't gotten an ulcer from worrying yet, but we just have to keep on chugging. My bf always says that it is their loss (even though it doesn't always work like that :D). Thinking about the next couple weeks definitely makes me have heart palpitations but we all need to make the best of what we have! Best of luck to you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker...first time poster. My rant lately is that every time I think about finishing my pre-reqs and applying to schools I really feel like im going to vomit.

The level of how overwhelmed I feel lately is awful. Please tell me I am not alone.

I am taking my last vet pre-req and I feel absurdly overwhelmed. I ranted about it earlier- undergrad physics, I just need a C, I'm a grad student, it should be easy but it's really not. Working on my homework about an hour ago, I literally yelled, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS" and started crying hysterically. (PMS + Physics don't mix). The idea that one grade could keep me from going to vet school after I've been accepted is stressing me out so much. I remember feeling this way during every pre-req as an undergrad- is this the class that's going to stop me from achieving my dream??

my advice is....breathe. relax. (google 'physics for dummies') make a to-do list for applications- every school, every deadline, every transcript, every LOR, every little piece you want to put on your resume. it helps immensely.

I really need to work on my Master's project but I haven't been doing that for weeks/months. I want to, but I know that I'm going to get really absorbed into it.

I need to learn better time management or not be so obsessive about projects once I start them. I'm not terrible at multi-tasking but once I start reading, organizing, and writing, I turn into a complete perfectionist and WANT to see a project through to finish (which simply isn't possible in a few days when you're writing a 50+ page manuscript that requires an advisor's review).

I also really love taking new classes and being involved in school which is distracting to the above goal.

I want to kick myself in the ass sometimes. It's like I wait til I'm busy to start worrying about things I've been procrastinating on. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been dating my SO for almost 3 years now and he owns a house. We've been talking about moving in together for awhile and I basically said I didn't want to until I figured out which vet school I was going to because I didn't want to have to move twice in a matter of months, with the assumption that if I got into my IS I could then move in with him. Unfortunately the commute is killer - from his place to my current job was about 45 minutes and the vet school is probably another 20 minutes from here. That is bothering me, but what's even worse is that last weekend we were "celebrating" the completion of my interview and some information came out.

Basically he's not sure vet school is the right choice for me.

I don't want to blow it out of proportion, but him saying that and saying its been concerning him for awhile now and so on and so forth just really hit me in the feel-goods. I feel like it punched out all the excitement I had for finishing my interview and entering the "waiting to hear back" phase of things. Now that I know he feels that way it's really making me question moving in with him! I mean the commute is bad enough, but knowing that he doesn't fully support my monumental decision (plus all the time and effort I've already put in to taking the pre-reqs post-undergrad, all the hours shadowing and volunteering, all the time working on my application and prepping for and having an interview, etc and so on).

I'm so confused now! UGH!

I really need to work on my Master's project but I haven't been doing that for weeks/months. I want to, but I know that I'm going to get really absorbed into it.

I need to learn better time management or not be so obsessive about projects once I start them. I'm not terrible at multi-tasking but once I start reading, organizing, and writing, I turn into a complete perfectionist and WANT to see a project through to finish (which simply isn't possible in a few days when you're writing a 50+ page manuscript that requires an advisor's review).

I also really love taking new classes and being involved in school which is distracting to the above goal.

I want to kick myself in the ass sometimes. It's like I wait til I'm busy to start worrying about things I've been procrastinating on. :rolleyes:

I thought I was the only one!! I'm also trying to finish up my thesis and have experiments still going but I have been putting it off being that I knew interviews were coming up so I can't leave my cells just sitting in the incubator for a week and writing--that's just a big ole PITA! I also want to kick myself because I know it will all come down to the wire come March and I need to file by June :scared: Plus like you I love taking my classes and teaching, being involved is so much more fun than writing haha. Hang in there!

So I've been dating my SO for almost 3 years now and he owns a house. We've been talking about moving in together for awhile and I basically said I didn't want to until I figured out which vet school I was going to because I didn't want to have to move twice in a matter of months, with the assumption that if I got into my IS I could then move in with him. Unfortunately the commute is killer - from his place to my current job was about 45 minutes and the vet school is probably another 20 minutes from here. That is bothering me, but what's even worse is that last weekend we were "celebrating" the completion of my interview and some information came out.

I don't want to blow it out of proportion, but him saying that and saying its been concerning him for awhile now and so on and so forth just really hit me in the feel-goods. I feel like it punched out all the excitement I had for finishing my interview and entering the "waiting to hear back" phase of things. Now that I know he feels that way it's really making me question moving in with him! I mean the commute is bad enough, but knowing that he doesn't fully support my monumental decision (plus all the time and effort I've already put in to taking the pre-reqs post-undergrad, all the hours shadowing and volunteering, all the time working on my application and prepping for and having an interview, etc and so on).

That is a really big bummer, and kind of a huge deal. I guess I could see it in a if you weren't a really stable person if you could handle the stress of vet school and he was concerned about you. But if he's just not supporting you... I don't know, that's rough. Vet school is something you've got to be committed to 200% and if he's giving you any doubts that's going to be really tough. Even if you're sure, it won't be hard to let him give you that sliver of a doubt. I don't have any words of wisdom, just wanted to say that sucks. Maybe take a hard look at his reasoning? If he has some good points and is looking out for your best interests, fine, if he just doesn't "feel" like it's the right move for you, tell him to suck it. Whether he has doubts or not, he needs to keep them to himself, you need his support, not his criticism.

Well I've definitely been through it and its nuts and scary and awesome all at once. And this is not to sound negative nancy at all, but your fear of not being accepted may come true. So don't think it can't happen. It happens a lot. Just put the best application together that you can. I only say that because it would be devestating if you went into it expecting an acceptance and not getting one. Keep pushing forward and your dream will come true.

Emiloo, this had nothing to do with what I quoted but your avatar is creeping me out. Where are its legs?! :scared:

I am taking my last vet pre-req and I feel absurdly overwhelmed. I ranted about it earlier- undergrad physics, I just need a C, I'm a grad student, it should be easy but it's really not. Working on my homework about an hour ago, I literally yelled, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS" and started crying hysterically. (PMS + Physics don't mix). The idea that one grade could keep me from going to vet school after I've been accepted is stressing me out so much. I remember feeling this way during every pre-req as an undergrad- is this the class that's going to stop me from achieving my dream??

my advice is....breathe. relax. (google 'physics for dummies') make a to-do list for applications- every school, every deadline, every transcript, every LOR, every little piece you want to put on your resume. it helps immensely.

Omg, I did the same exact thing with calculus about 4 nights ago. SO and I were both doing homework at the table and I mustve worked on the same dang problem for about 15 minutes before I finally just started crying and saying "I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS. AM I THAT STUPID?". Poor SO just looked at me stunned and silently consoled me. I think at this point he is just silently helping and avoiding land mines of emotional disaster with me (lol). Poor SO.

Thanks everyone for the replies, they really help. I seriously felt like I was alone and absurd in my emotional fragility.

Emiloo, this had nothing to do with what I quoted but your avatar is creeping me out. Where are its legs?! :scared:

I think it's kinda cute. :laugh:

But then again, I like Veggietales. :p

:laugh: I was wondering how long it would take anyone to notice. Not really sure to be honest. Maybe she's a sweet, precious, badiblet that overcame adversity as a living sausage. :shrug:

I am in a 4 year relationship with SO(we live together) and I will be the first to tell you that if he ever told me he thinks "vet school isnt the right choice for me" I would probably blow a gasket. I'm not sure what your SO is into as far as schooling/career go, but I would definitely try to dive deeper into that statement and figure out why SO thinks that way. Why does SO think it is not the right decision? Is SO being selfish about wanting you to move in, and is sabotaging your future to get what they want?

Not many people are like me, but things like this could be a relationship ender. If you're going through a rough week or something and need someone to lean on, would you want to run to someone who thought from the get go that vet school was a bad idea? I would personally want to be with someone who is supportive and understands how much it takes to even get to the point of interviewing at a CVM (congrats, by the way).

I guess it all depends on the state of your relationship and where you end up going with it. Its always hard to tell but you have to ask yourself if SO is REALLY going to be there for you during and even after vet school. Sometimes if the answer is no, it may be better to go about your endeavors alone. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I was wondering how long it would take anyone to notice. Not really sure to be honest. Maybe she's a sweet, precious, badiblet that overcame adversity as a living sausage. :shrug:

:lol:

loving it..... cracking the feck out of me really.... suppose it might be in response to something

If he is being unsupprtive, peace out dude. If he has serious concerns then maybe take a step back and consider them. But only you know him well enough to distinguish.
I told my fiance that I didn't think him getting a chemistry degree was the right choice for him. Because he's wanted to be a police officer or aviation electrician his entire life and hates studying. He was feeling inadequate that I was going to have 2 degrees and he only had his AA and thought he needed to "prove himself" or something. And I know him well enough to call his BS.
Just this week, two years after he started his chemistry degree, he told me "you were right, this is definitely not for me". For two years I supported him through it and never discouraged him, but I initially felt the need to watch out for him and make sure he wasn't getting into something that wasn't right for him. But once I said my peace, I let him do his thing.
Now I'm not saying vet med isn't for you and that he's right, just that he may have reasons for saying that and I think you should really get to the bottom of them. We have to remember that vet school is scary for our SOs too.

Yes BCPs really do suck. I felt like a whole new person when we decided to go off them to try for a baby. You should look into non hormonal types.

I second this! Non-hormonal paragard IUD is the best thing on the planet! :thumbup:

I :love: my implanon so much.

have you had any issues with spotting at all? I have heard so many diff things about it - I would like to consider it cause then it would just be in there and not have to worry about it... but wouldn't want to deal with constant bleeding or something.... also have you had any acne issues from it?

I second this! Non-hormonal paragard IUD is the best thing on the planet! :thumbup:

do IUD's hurt like hell to put in? my friend actually got pregnant on an IUD with her husband - she was the tiny percent of failure... lol

but I do worry semi about them..... but also hmmmm would be nice to not have to worry about all the side effects with hormonal BC....

trying to find a BC right now if it wasn't obvious :laugh:

I must be in the minority but the only side effect I've had on BC is a LACK of migraines. It's been amazing, actually. Both the ones I've tried have been the hormonal type - I just gave up on the first one because remembering to take it every day was impossible. Would love to try one of the IUDs, but not sure if its worth the risk of dealing with monthly killer migraines again

have you had any issues with spotting at all? I have heard so many diff things about it - I would like to consider it cause then it would just be in there and not have to worry about it... but wouldn't want to deal with constant bleeding or something.... also have you had any acne issues from it?

do IUD's hurt like hell to put in? my friend actually got pregnant on an IUD with her husband - she was the tiny percent of failure... lol

but I do worry semi about them..... but also hmmmm would be nice to not have to worry about all the side effects with hormonal BC....

I have Mirena, I dislike it, but it didn't hurt to have placed.

There will come a time when I don't feel as awkward as a three-legged baby giraffe, yeah? I just stabbed myself with a needle because my hands were shaking as I drew up vaccines. I am not stupid, I can perform that simple task, just apparently not gracefully. -_- now I have a bloody finger.

There will come a time when I don't feel as awkward as a three-legged baby giraffe, yeah? I just stabbed myself with a needle because my hands were shaking as I drew up vaccines. I am not stupid, I can perform that simple task, just apparently not gracefully. -_- now I have a bloody finger.

:laugh:

I have poked myself with needles many, many times at the vet clinic... yes, even for a simple task.

TMI warning: Regular (combo-pill) BCP gave me migraines and low sex drive so I was switched to the mini pill (progesterone only). It made me feel like a crazy person. My sex drive was better but I was an emotional roller coaster (not as bad as being pregnant but still pretty bad). I went off them and we practiced charting my cycle which is a crazy scientific-ness that was really interesting. We then used my charting cycle stuff to get pregnant (you can use it to avoid pregnancy and to get pregnant). My periods were worse without the hormones but I felt a lot better as a whole.

TMI warning: Regular (combo-pill) BCP gave me migraines and low sex drive so I was switched to the mini pill (progesterone only). It made me feel like a crazy person. My sex drive was better but I was an emotional roller coaster (not as bad as being pregnant but still pretty bad). I went off them and we practiced charting my cycle which is a crazy scientific-ness that was really interesting. We then used my charting cycle stuff to get pregnant (you can use it to avoid pregnancy and to get pregnant). My periods were worse without the hormones but I felt a lot better as a whole.

Yeah that is my fear actually with BC... I really do not want all of the side effects. Plus I am on a medication which actually reduces the effectiveness of it, so that is not helpful. I am thinking if I do go on it that the non-hormonal IUD might be a better option since there are no hormones involved and my medication will not affect it.

Yes, having it put in was painful. Apparently if you've had a child it's not so bad but I haven't and I'm a tiny person as it is. The rest of the day I laid on the couch with ibuprofen on board and a heating pad.

The first few periods my cramps were worse but now, 2 years later, my periods are light and the cramping is so-so (sometimes it's no big deal, other times it's worse for a day but nothing ibuprofen can't fix :)) (TMI??)

The chance of getting prego with an IUD is pretty slim ... 0.6% failure rate according to Wikipedia. I chose it because any pill with estrogen in it makes me vomit (tried several different pills) so I was on the progesterone-only pill for a while. The "mini pill" gave me acne and my moods were horrendous, which is why I chose Paragard. Personally I love it!

Yes, having it put in was painful. Apparently if you've had a child it's not so bad but I haven't and I'm a tiny person as it is. The rest of the day I laid on the couch with ibuprofen on board and a heating pad.

The first few periods my cramps were worse but now, 2 years later, my periods are light and the cramping is so-so (sometimes it's no big deal, other times it's worse for a day but nothing ibuprofen can't fix :)) (TMI??)

The chance of getting prego with an IUD is pretty slim ... 0.6% failure rate according to Wikipedia. I chose it because any pill with estrogen in it makes me vomit (tried several different pills) so I was on the progesterone-only pill for a while. The "mini pill" gave me acne and my moods were horrendous, which is why I chose Paragard. Personally I love it!

yeah I am definitely worried about the procedure for putting it in as I have not had a baby and I am pretty small too.... but I figure it is just one day I can handle it... especially since then it is in for years

I am definitely leaning this way now.... have to talk to doctor

Once you practice the motions you will learn a routine. I felt the same way when drawing blood. I had no idea what to do with my hands and once I poked the vein and got what I needed I had no idea what to do in order to pull the needle out and hold off all while holding the animals leg out. After a few trials of hand movements and some very good coaching from fellow co worker technicians, I have my motion down.

With anything, you will need to develop the habit yourself, what feels comfortable and is effective for you. Practice, practice, practice. I remember when pulling up vaccines was incredibly daunting, and that wasnt too long ago. Now I can pull them up while looking at charts and listening to music. Practice. ;) Don't worry, everyone goes through it, only the strong and honest will admit it. LOL. The first time I micro chipped an animal, I thrust the huge needle clean through the first layer of skin and out the other side of the tented skin and cut the heck out of my finger. I slinked away, embarrassed, and bandaged myself up quietly. Never told anyone. I look back now and laugh because I have heard my vet tell stories about how she did the same thing. Sigh, will not be the first time or the last time you'll do something silly. :cool:

Last edited:
yeah I am definitely worried about the procedure for putting it in as I have not had a baby and I am pretty small too.... but I figure it is just one day I can handle it... especially since then it is in for years

I am definitely leaning this way now.... have to talk to doctor

It doesn't take too long to have it placed. My doctor put it in when it was "that time of the month" because you're more "open" ... definitely gross! :uhno:

It's a short amount of pain for something you can set and forget for 10 years!! (well maybe not forget completely - it should be checked yearly but that doesn't hurt)

It doesn't take too long to have it placed. My doctor put it in when it was "that time of the month" because you're more "open" ... definitely gross! :uhno:

It's a short amount of pain for something you can set and forget for 10 years!! (well maybe not forget completely - it should be checked yearly but that doesn't hurt)

Bahaha... "set it, and Forget it!!" .... What infomercial is that from lol :laugh:

My DR refused to grant me an IUD because I have not had kids yet, should I pursue another dr's advice?

Bahaha... "set it, and Forget it!!" .... What infomercial is that from lol :laugh:

The Rotisserie! We had one and everytime we would put a chicken in my dad would say "JUST SET IT..." and we'd all say "AND FORGET IT" :laugh:

The best part is the warning sticker on top that says to not take set it and forget it literally because leaving a hot surface unattended could be a fire hazard :smack:

The Rotisserie! We had one and everytime we would put a chicken in my dad would say "JUST SET IT..." and we'd all say "AND FORGET IT" :laugh:

The best part is the warning sticker on top that says to not take set it and forget it literally because leaving a hot surface unattended could be a fire hazard :smack:

Bahaha too funny!

Totally did this at a vaccine clinic we did the other day. I've done it countless times and I don't get nervous (unless the animal is trying to eat my face...then I'm a bit more nervous) but I apparently was shaking and stabbed myself. Didn't really notice until I was bleeding everywhere (only 22g needle). Pretty sure the vet felt like I had never given a vaccine before. I guess I still get nervous now around my classmates because we all come from different backgrounds and I'm not sure who actually knows how to restrain (especially potentially grumpy cats) which I don't mind but it would be nice before hand so I know if I need to be more aware of the situation. It was no big deal, but I was embarrassed.

My DR refused to grant me an IUD because I have not had kids yet, should I pursue another dr's advice?

That's what they said when they first came out. New research showed that it is safe if you don't have kids

Once you practice the motions you will learn a routine. I felt the same way when drawing blood. I had no idea what to do with my hands and once I poked the vein and got what I needed I had no idea what to do in order to pull the needle out and hold off all while holding the animals leg out. After a few trials of hand movements and some very good coaching from fellow co worker technicians, I have my motion down.

With anything, you will need to develop the habit yourself, what feels comfortable and is effective for you. Practice, practice, practice. I remember when pulling up vaccines was incredibly daunting, and that wasnt too long ago. Now I can pull them up while looking at charts and listening to music. Practice. ;) Don't worry, everyone goes through it, only the strong and honest will admit it. LOL. The first time I micro chipped an animal, I thrust the huge needle clean through the first layer of skin and out the other side of the tented skin and cut the heck out of my finger. I slinked away, embarrassed, and bandaged myself up quietly. Never told anyone. I look back now and laugh because I have heard my vet tell stories about how she did the same thing. Sigh, will not be the first time or the last time you'll do something silly. :cool:

I work kennels at a small hospital, so I don't get to practice a ton, but occasionally. I'll just have to push to do it more. I constantly feel like I'm a bull in a china shop, trying to figure out the do's and do nots. I know (!!) I'll get it someday, I just hope it's soon!

I would definitely go see another doctor. I have several friends that have an IUD that have never had children. My one friend (who never, ever wants children) had a doctor give her quite a run around to get it saying things like, "Well you're almost 30, what if you want to get pregnant this year?" :smack: For whatever reason the doctor could not believe that she did not want to have a kid.

I would definitely go see another doctor. I have several friends that have an IUD that have never had children. My one friend (who never, ever wants children) had a doctor give her quite a run around to get it saying things like, "Well you're almost 30, what if you want to get pregnant this year?" :smack: For whatever reason the doctor could not believe that she did not want to have a kid.

This is me, I know I am young but I am quite sure that I DO NOT want children. My gyn was very adamant that I do not get an IUD because it could prevent me from having children for however long it stays in. Uhm, yeah duh, thats what I want. My dr did not believe that I could make the decision to never have kids either.

With my insurance I would have to buy the IUD straight up out of pocket and then have my dr place it (co pay for that too) Im sure it ended up being around $600 that I do not have. Reading these replies will deff make me take a second look. My current BC (Junel Fe) makes my sex drive pretty non existent (TMI, sorry)

On the topic of BC, I would love to go the IUD route because pills get forgotten and aren't as effective anyway. Unfortunately, I am on hormonal because my cycle is WACK and I will go months without a cycle if i'm not on the pill. I was originally on Yaz, took a year off and went back on to a generic of Yaz. Overall, I liked it. With Yaz I did get pretty bad PMS especially the first couple of months on the pill. I don't feel as emotional with the generic, which is nice. I would really be fine never having another period, but my doctor doesn't seem to think that's a good idea lol

Did Disney princesses menstruate?

Last edited: