RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend came to visit and I gained SIX pounds in one week. SIX. :eek: That was without fudge, although part of the binge was ice cream from a fudge shop.

Back to soft-boiled eggs for breakfast...

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: If I ignore the terrible decision I made about 11 months ago, it will have been over 2 years. :oops: Technically, I guess it's 11 months, but I'm in denial. :laugh:

It's slim pickins' for the good ones in my home town of 5k. :naughty:

This made my night! LOL!!

:laugh:

*sigh* Sometimes I want to slap the frick out of my boyfriend.

*sigh* Sometimes I want to slap the frick out of my boyfriend.

Best piece of advice I've ever gotten about boys was from my best friend after I explained my current boy-limbo situation. Simply put, "don't forget boys are stupid". :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If I dont get into vet school, I think its going to be because of a lack of extracurriculars. SO UNFAIR!!!!! I am well rounded, I just prefer to engage in activities off campus with my family. Im close to all my family members and enjoy spending time with them, is that such a crime? Just because Im not out at a club meeting doesn't mean im sitting on my couch drooling with a glazed over look!!! I have plenty of hobbies but I am already in school some days from 8:30-8:30!!!! I work my butt off to get good grades and veterinary experience, to take classes that interest me, spend time with my family and dogs, and engage in activities at home that interest me. I don't like it that vet schools will think Im one dimensional just because I don't want to join clubs! Also since when is "animals" ONE interest!? Not even veterinary medicine is one interest. Im interested in SA, LA, production, exotics, lab, specialty, shall I go on? Someone PLEASE tell me they feel the same way?

I put my hobbies in as extracurriculars. Even joked about being able to use my talents for our school bake sales. :) It's half what you do, half how you sell it.

Best piece of advice I've ever gotten about boys was from my best friend after I explained my current boy-limbo situation. Simply put, "don't forget boys are stupid". :D

Boys *are* dumb, even the ones we love. :laugh:

FHV, you don't have to join clubs. Clubs are not the end-all be-all...they just want to see you're motivated to engage in lots of things! I am currently in zero clubs, ZERO. I have not been in any sort of club now for six years. I don't like clubs, especially school clubs...not really my thing. So don't worry, you won't be rejected just because of not being in clubs!

If you have interests, indulge them. Take music lessons in a fun instrument if you can afford it. Or take a summer and go teach English abroad...it's great on the resume, it pays pretty well, and you can get some travel and maybe even vet work abroad while you're away. Do adventurous things. You'll stand out, trust.

i mean this is just my opinion, but i feel like only being involved in school and vet med related things (even clubs) is a really fast path to burning out.

i totally agree with the poster above me who said do something like learning an instrument or traveling or whatever.

If I dont get into vet school, I think its going to be because of a lack of extracurriculars. SO UNFAIR!!!!! I am well rounded, I just prefer to engage in activities off campus with my family. Im close to all my family members and enjoy spending time with them, is that such a crime? Just because Im not out at a club meeting doesn't mean im sitting on my couch drooling with a glazed over look!!! I have plenty of hobbies but I am already in school some days from 8:30-8:30!!!! I work my butt off to get good grades and veterinary experience, to take classes that interest me, spend time with my family and dogs, and engage in activities at home that interest me. I don't like it that vet schools will think Im one dimensional just because I don't want to join clubs! Also since when is "animals" ONE interest!? Not even veterinary medicine is one interest. Im interested in SA, LA, production, exotics, lab, specialty, shall I go on? Someone PLEASE tell me they feel the same way?

You can totally put your activities in the Community Activities section of the application, or talk about them in your PS. They don't have to be clubs. I put on my application that I like reading YA fantasy novels and mysteries written in the early 1900's, and that I like to cook and bake. Neither is in any way organized by anyone but myself, I've never been in a club for either, but I'm dedicated to them, so I put them on the app.

Agree with everyone above me. Only club I was in during UG was pre-vet for 2 yrs but decided it was a really stupid club and quit (not very many prevets in my school).

I looove working with kids, so i always found ways to get involved with after school programs and tutoring programs for at-risk kids. Even if you're boring like me and have no real hobbies other than watching tv, you can always find a worthy cause that you enjoy helping out with as well. It's really nice to have one thing you enjoy doing that you wouldnt miss for the world (or exams or projects or papers)

Agree with everyone above me. Only club I was in during UG was pre-vet for 2 yrs but decided it was a really stupid club and quit (not very many prevets in my school).

I come from a school with a huge pre-vet population and pre-vet club was still crap. They did everything my animal science club did, but you had to deal with all the ambitious, cut throat types who would try to climb the social club ladder by stepping on everyone else. Supposedly it has improved since I was an undergrad.

Seriously, the one activity I was involved with through pre-vet club was an on call emergency foal watch thing. It utilized a calling tree and some people would purposely not call the next person just to wrangle two to four more hours working in the vet hospital. It was awful. I always got a nasty look when I showed up and the person before hadn't called. No one was going to take away my baby horse time.

Yeah, don't worry about that. I was just a "sometimes member" of one club through undergrad. Study abroads and internships were always much more engaging for me, so I focused my time on those.

To me, if someone isn't actively part of a club or in a leadership positon, it really doesn't matter how many clubs they join. GPA, GRE, and experience are always going to trump everything else anyway.

I know a woman who owns a cat rescue. I've been having serious cases of cat envy for the past few weeks.

I have a full-time job. I have an apartment that accept cats. I have credit in case an emergency crops up (yet I really do not feel comfortable spending $2000+ on an emergency although my credit can handle that). I will be taking my animals with me when I move.

It seems like everyone else has animals, especially on here: students, graduates with student loans, students who are single mothers... and everyone most everyone has found a way to keep their animals up to date on vacs and get them treated if they become ill.

I just cannot see past my debt right now. Part of me thinks that it is irresponsible for someone with $80 000 worth of debt to spend some of their earnings on an animal. But the rest of me says "F**** it. Everyone else does it."

I offered to foster. In the past 4 months, they only needed temporary fostering for unvetted strays coming in off of the streets. If Dev's office was clean or if our bathroom was bigger, I would jump all on it. If we were to take in an animal like that, it would have to have free-range of the rest of the place and I am not comfortable with that for obvious reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add to the list of people above, I have not been in a single club in undergrad, never played a sport, no "real" extra curricular activities. However I listed a lot of hobbies that I think made me stand out a little. I play a few instruments and am self taught on half of them, I draw, knit and throw pottery, I listed stuff I did in high school like sing in an a capella group, ballet, horse back riding, but I didn't continue any of that into undergrad. And I've been accepted into 2/3 schools so far and wait listed at the third. Your activities are going to be what you make of them. List that you love to bake or paint or write short stories. If your life is ONLY school and vet experience though, that's where you might run into a little trouble. I think most of us have something we like to do, even if it seems silly on paper (as in, why would a vet school care if you like to bake). But you should still list it, it's what's going to make you seem like a real human being.

Yeah Trem, if you're uncomfortable with the finance aspect of it, I would not take in a cat right now. Plus, being in the precarious animal loving situation we're in, you're bound to run into a dog or cat at some point that you feel compelled to take in. I'd wait til then, cause when that "you take this animal you're already attached to goes home with you or it dies" situation comes up, and it will, you'll thank yourself that you didn't go and randomly get another animal earlier.

I have one of those, and I took in this unadoptable cat partly because she was young and healthy. Well guess what... This young and healthy cat needed more vet care last year than what I pay in rent. Thank goodness with student discounts I paid way less, but it was still over 10% of my total spending last year. My Christmas present and likely birthday present from anyone who asks me what I want will be cash in my cat's treatment fund. If it was something like cancer, or a saddle thrombus, and I could have made a definitive yes or no on spending thousands of dollars, that decision would have been easier to make. But she just had one thing after another go wrong, of "small" but unignorable stuff that would behoove any responsible owner to take care of. They were things like intractable diarrhea/vomiting over a month, and breathing issues that absolutely needed treatment... but not bad enough that electing euthanasia would have been a viable option.

I just cannot see past my debt right now. Part of me thinks that it is irresponsible for someone with $80 000 worth of debt to spend some of their earnings on an animal. But the rest of me says "F**** it. Everyone else does it."

I guess I feel like being in debt doesn't mean that I can't still enjoy my life. My dog and cats are all important to me and honestly have taught me some lessons on their own. And I live pretty cheaply in general, but there are some things that I'm not willing to compromise just because of debt - hockey and my animals are two of those.

The way I figure, money is money. It's a man-made construct whose value is tenuous and always shifting. Our world is a lot bigger than that, and things have a way of working themselves out.

This is why I will never be a) a financial planner or b) rich. I'm okay with that. :)

I have ONE pre-req class to take this semester. Of course it was already full when I went to register (despite being a "senior" and having 125 credits...). I went last night to try and over-tally into the class and about 40 other people had the same idea. The professor is trying to get moved to a larger classroom but if she can't, she's going to put all our names into a hat and pick out 16 that she can fit into the class. I told her about my acceptance to vet school but she said this is the only "fair" way to do it.

My undergrad school: really freaking good at admitting pre-health students and taking our money. really bad at actually having enough courses for everyone to take.

:mad: :mad:

I have ONE pre-req class to take this semester. Of course it was already full when I went to register (despite being a "senior" and having 125 credits...). I went last night to try and over-tally into the class and about 40 other people had the same idea. The professor is trying to get moved to a larger classroom but if she can't, she's going to put all our names into a hat and pick out 16 that she can fit into the class. I told her about my acceptance to vet school but she said this is the only "fair" way to do it.

My undergrad school: really freaking good at admitting pre-health students and taking our money. really bad at actually having enough courses for everyone to take.

What class is it? Is it something that could be done online or through correspondence somewhere else?

What class is it? Is it something that could be done online or through correspondence somewhere else?

Physics II. At least I'm registered for the lab... although why there are more lab seats than lecture seats is beyond me since they have to be taken at the same time.

I've emailed every person I can think of that might be able to help. so far the pre-health office's answer is "we can't do anything about that." sigh.

Physics II. At least I'm registered for the lab... although why there are more lab seats than lecture seats is beyond me since they have to be taken at the same time.

I've emailed every person I can think of that might be able to help. so far the pre-health office's answer is "we can't do anything about that." sigh.

Is there a community college or other school somewhere nearby? :(

Don't give up! Talk to the physics department head and explain your situation. See if they can help get you in.

Is there a community college or other school somewhere nearby? :(

This is another good option.

If you're already in the lab, could you take the lab there and a Physics II online along with it? Bc I know physics online doesn't usually include the required lab part. Or will your school only allow you to take the lab if you're in the class too?

I caught that nasty Norovirus strain they have been talking about in the news....9 hours of excruciating symptoms, then 3 days of recovery. Had my first solid food today. I had to miss work, haven't done any homework at all and I have my first exam of the semester in a week. I have no energy or motivation. AND of course I'm super stressed waiting on a rejection/acceptance letter. :scared::barf:

Each school is different in regards to what they will accept for online courses (especially any lab portions), but the Physics II course I took was online and included an at-home lab. I took it online since there wasn't a school near me that offered the course at a time I could attend (I was working 2 jobs at the time). Maybe that could be an option if worst case scenario you aren't able to get in to the on-campus class?

That's such a bummer. At my undergrad if you got a lab spot before someone else, you automatically got into the lecture. That's how the Chem chair told me I would be able to override into OChem. Lab spot opened up, I took it and the professor had to let me take the course.

I agree that you should talk to the Physics department, especially the head of the department. They might be able to do a bit more.

Thanks for the advice.

I have been holding off on making a major commitment to an animal since I started attending university. When I got my first place 4 years ago, I got gerbils because of their space requirements and the amount of care needed. Now that I have a bigger place, I finally got the rats I have been wanting since I moved into my first place. I also have reliable transportation if they need a vet visit.

With regards to debt, I am going to be in debt for at least the next 10 years. I have been waiting 6 years to get either a cat or a dog of my own. It just feels like I have been waiting forever already.

I have been keeping an eye on the cats coming into the rescue I help fundraiser for. I can see myself ending up with a cat from her eventually.

My family got their first cat when I was a teen and I really miss her company. The rat babies are awesome. I spoil them. They just aren't the same!

Trem, the way I see it when it comes to getting an animal(or having a baby for that matter), if I waited until I was financially 'secure', i.e. no debt, I would never have an animal.

I was going for one cat. Went home with two. Was gonna give up the guide dog but she got released and now I have her too. From zero to three in one month. Be aware that sometimes you can't stop once you start. ;)

I know the U of MN offers Physics II completely online (with a lab you do at home!), I know this because I'm currently taking it :D If you still can't get in, you could try that as an option.

Here's a link (I hope it works) to the class : LINK!

I know the U of MN offers Physics II completely online (with a lab you do at home!), I know this because I'm currently taking it :D If you still can't get in, you could try that as an option.

Here's a link (I hope it works) to the class : LINK!

Wow, thanks for posting this! I'm going to look into it more, hopefully it isn't too late.

I go to a CUNY school (NYC) and I've checked the other schools/community colleges... there aren't any open seats anywhere for a class I can take. I work full time so I can only go after 5pm and I'm definitely not in a financial position to quit my job (I would be homeless). The thing is there were 200+ people taking Physics I last semester and yet only 120 seats in Physics II. That plus the fact that there are more lab seats than lecture seats leads me to believe (hope!) that this is some mistake made by the Physics department and once they realize it, they'll move the class to a bigger room and open up more spots for those of us who already have the lab. I am actually registered for the other Physics II section (a day-time class) just so I was registered for at least 6 credits for financial aid reasons. The worst, worst case scenario I guess would be if I could strike some deal with the day-time professor to let me attend at night and then have the evening professor report my grade to him at the end of the semester. I feel like my head is going to explode. :eek:

But why my professor thinks choosing names from a hat rather than going by seniority is more "fair".... I just don't get that at all. :bang:

This is so selfish, but I need to get it out.

I'm planning my wedding from 1200miles away. My fiance, parents and sister (maid of honor) are all helping to do stuff on the home front, so to speak. My sister decides to wait until the last minute to visit the florist lady and now can't go because something came up and she has to move to another apartment within her complex (thank goodness fiance can go instead). My fiance has waited until the last minute to mail in the paperwork for our rehearsal dinner site (and only remembered because I called to remind him) and my parents are taking a long time to get the hotel block sorted and still haven't given me the addresses I asked for weeks ago. I know they have lives and stuff comes up, but it's still frustrating.

I would do it all if I actually could, but I can't- I won't be home until two weeks before the wedding. So on top of studying for midterms and wrangling summer plan details I'm trying to coordinate everyone back home and be as gentle as possible with my (multiple) reminders to my family/SO so that I don't have to have a complete wedding meltdown :( Aaargh.

I caught that nasty Norovirus strain they have been talking about in the news....9 hours of excruciating symptoms, then 3 days of recovery. Had my first solid food today. I had to miss work, haven't done any homework at all and I have my first exam of the semester in a week. I have no energy or motivation. AND of course I'm super stressed waiting on a rejection/acceptance letter. :scared::barf:

Ah, norovirus. I had that over New Years. Ended up in urgent care so dehydrated i had persistent tachycardia, low blood pressure, and they couldn't hit my antecubital veins for a catheter so they had to go in my hand. And then I almost passed out. Hurray for IV fluids!

felinelvr44, a few of the CUNYs have Physics summer sessions. I'm not 100% sure when you need to complete pre-reqs, but if the deadline is whwen you enter vet school in the fall, that might be an option.

I have this small cut/nick on my knuckle that keeps reopening. It is driving me nuts. Doesn't help that my hands have been so dry lately.

I have this small cut/nick on my knuckle that keeps reopening. It is driving me nuts. Doesn't help that my hands have been so dry lately.

The Nutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream has been my life saver this winter. My hands get dry super easily from washing them which cause them to crack and then I pick at them. I've also put Vaseline on my hands and then slept with gloves on. That helps too when...when I can actually stand keeping the gloves on that is.

The Nutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream has been my life saver this winter. My hands get dry super easily from washing them which cause them to crack and then I pick at them. I've also put Vaseline on my hands and then slept with gloves on. That helps too when...when I can actually stand keeping the gloves on that is.

I agree, that Nutrogena stuff is the best!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I'm having one of those days where I cannot concentrate for the life of me. I've been sitting at a coffee shop for 4 hours and I've barely gotten through 2 pages of my physio book. AHHHH! :(

I'm having one of those days where I cannot concentrate for the life of me. I've been sitting at a coffee shop for 4 hours and I've barely gotten through 2 pages of my physio book. AHHHH! :(

Are you sure it's not just because it's Physio?? Tends to have that effect on me as well. Hahaha.

Are you sure it's not just because it's Physio?? Tends to have that effect on me as well. Hahaha.

Haha... some days I find it really interesting and easy to get through, other days--not so much. I keep reading the same sentence over and over again and then I find something else I'd rather be doing (like posting on SDN!).

I should probably just call it a day and pick it up again tomorrow. Right now I am accomplishing nothing other than wasting my time and getting really frustrated! :eek:

Two tests tomorrow and a speech. Not ready for one of them and about to go to bed. I just can't do it..

I have a Finance exam tomorrow and I have tried so hard to keep up on the material but I'm reviewing all of it and having a heart attack because I feel like I know absolutely nothing. Soooooo tired.

A rat bit the hell out of me right on the tip of my finger today...went right through my nail and split it.

If it wasn't for the nail I'm positive the teeth would have gone through my finger.

I never knew how much a rodent bite could truly hurt. It felt like I slammed my finger in a door.

Now I have to baby my finger until it heals. It doesn't help that it is on my dominant hand, either. UGH.

Same, calc and chem test. Sigh.

I have bio 2 and ochem. I'm thinking about just letting bio slide (we get to drop one) and focusing on ochem for the rest of the time. Both just aren't working out right now..

Calculus will be the death of me this semester. Seriously.

Good luck, I hope you do well on both. :luck:

Cardio exam tomorrow. Our professor asks the most confusing questions that constantly need to be clarified or corrected and she won't be at the exam :mad:

Cardio exam tomorrow. Our professor asks the most confusing questions that constantly need to be clarified or corrected and she won't be at the exam :mad:

Bleh, that sucks. Most of physio test just over a week ago was like that. I gave up and kind of just stared at the ceiling for a while. Hope it goes better than I think that test went.

I can't say that I miss studying for chemistry + any other subject at the same time.

This year of school for me is all about my interests. All global public health or biology based courses that I never had time to take in undergrad. They're still upper level bio and rigorous but some don't count toward my grad school GPA, which on some level seems like a waste of money, but when I apply to vet school again they'll all get counted. (If I wanted I could seek approval for them to count, but I really hate paperwork.)

But to get to a rant....

I spent an hour dusting and cleaning the hardwood floors in my apartment. In the process I decided to move my furniture around. My roommate/ brother came back with a disapproving look on his face. He hates it when I clean because it "stirs up dust" and triggers his allergies. I say tough ****. Not more than a couple weeks ago I completely cleaned and reorganized "his" room/ my study. I'm not easily grossed out, but the amount of man-hair, dust, crumbs, and "what the hell is that" debris that had accumulated over the last year was disgusting.