RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I might seriously vomit.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so nervous it almost hurts. I guess this is the downside of having Ivy as a pet now. No emotional support when I'm anxious in campus. Haha

Taking regular niacin for the first time (I used to take the non-flushing kind) was a bad idea before work. My head and neck are on fire.

Members don't see this ad :)
felinelvr44, a few of the CUNYs have Physics summer sessions. I'm not 100% sure when you need to complete pre-reqs, but if the deadline is whwen you enter vet school in the fall, that might be an option.

That is my worst, worst case scenario. My school offers Physics II in the summer but I'd have to okay it with my CVM first (all pre-req's are supposed to be completed in the spring) and I would have to quit my job two months early in order to take the day-time classes. Money/general homelessness would be the biggest issue. It would be crazy but at least it's sort of an option...

edit: just saw on another thread that you're going to the Feb 1st infosession! I'll see you there :)

Speech done with (my voice was super shaky) and now to study for the two tests...

i seriously think i am the luckiest dog owner alive. twice now Lucy has found access to things that would kill her and just ignored them.

1st time she jumped up and knocked a whole package of chocolate to the floor while i was gone for hours and just stole dog treats. left the chocolate on the floor

this time i came home to find a bag of aleve (like 20 of them) on the floor and a bag of candy on the bed that she pulled out of my night stand. her end goal? the small thing of dog peanut butter in the drawer, everything else untouched.

:eek:

i seriously think i am the luckiest dog owner alive. twice now Lucy has found access to things that would kill her and just ignored them.

1st time she jumped up and knocked a whole package of chocolate to the floor while i was gone for hours and just stole dog treats. left the chocolate on the floor

this time i came home to find a bag of aleve (like 20 of them) on the floor and a bag of candy on the bed that she pulled out of my night stand. her end goal? the small thing of dog peanut butter in the drawer, everything else untouched.

crate train? :scared:

What's dog peanut butter? PB made for dogs? Or PB designated by you for dog?

Growing up we had a yellow lab who was a sneaky demon at getting food off the counter. She was crate trained, but she managed to get into trouble while we were home! She once ate an entire half of a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting before we caught her (we called the vet in a panic and basically she told us to watch her closely for signs of distress). She never showed any sign of discomfort - if anything she was super smug about all the extra treats she had gotten for herself. The only sign we had that she had eaten it (instead of making it magically disappear) were the super huge/fudgey poops she had a day or two later. She also ate a lot of bread, cookies, and other things until we finally stopped keeping anything out on the counter, ever.

Lucky she never got into any meds - while she had a stomach of steel as far as chocolate goes I'm guessing she would not have been so lucky with meds.

Some a-hole stole my debit card information and is now running around South Carolina with it. :mad:

Who the hell spends $87 at a KFC???

Growing up we had a yellow lab who was a sneaky demon at getting food off the counter. She was crate trained, but she managed to get into trouble while we were home! She once ate an entire half of a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting before we caught her (we called the vet in a panic and basically she told us to watch her closely for signs of distress). She never showed any sign of discomfort - if anything she was super smug about all the extra treats she had gotten for herself. The only sign we had that she had eaten it (instead of making it magically disappear) were the super huge/fudgey poops she had a day or two later. She also ate a lot of bread, cookies, and other things until we finally stopped keeping anything out on the counter, ever.

Lucky she never got into any meds - while she had a stomach of steel as far as chocolate goes I'm guessing she would not have been so lucky with meds.

Sounds like my parents Lab! She has eaten whole loaves of bread off the counter, a few pounds of raw potatoes, and oh yeah a bag of raisinettes. Stomach of steel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned today just how miserable it is to do surgery in a sweltering OR. The temp here this morning was 65-70, but I guess the thermostat for our surgery building was still set to "January Freezing." It was so hot that I actually had an ice pack strapped under my surgical gown. I guess the good thing is that our patients didn't get cold under anesthesia.

The heat + stressing about surgery gave me a migraine too. Mostly surgery just makes me feel like I'll never be a competent vet. :(

Sounds like my parents Lab! She has eaten whole loaves of bread off the counter, a few pounds of raw potatoes, and oh yeah a bag of raisinettes. Stomach of steel.

It must be a lab thing. I had a lab growing up that ate everything! You could never leave food unattended on the counters since he always figured out how to get it on to the floor. He even ate part of the drywall in the basement once.

Or if you can't find a crate down there, at least confine to a set area that has been doggy proofed

Childproof thingys on all drawers and cabinets!

It's actually the theobromine in chocolate that is a problem. Can't remember off hand what the percentage is, but dark chocolate is MUCH worse than milk chocolate.

Edit: found it. Here's the rough estimate amounts in decreasing order, with cocoa powder being the most harmful.

Cocoa powder: 800 mg/oz
Baker’s chocolate (unsweetened): 450 mg/oz
Dark chocolate: 150 mg/oz
Milk chocolate: 50 mg/oz

I know some of you already know all this. :thumbup: But for those that don't or need to share it with a friend that is skeptical(because THEIR dog survived after eating that lb of chocolate bar :rolleyes:), here's a good link.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/02/why-chocolate-is-bad-for-dogs/

I could totally spend $87 at KFC. Nom nom nom

I love their mashed potatoes and gravy....now I really want it. And I'd rather have $87 on KFC vs the $1,000 someone tried to put on mine at the Wal-Mart online store, or the cab driver who used my card to buy gas after I left it in his cab NYE taking my bf to the hospital to get stitches.

Yup, $87 at KFC. On the plus side, at least I know that jerk is probably going to be dead by tomorrow. :laugh:

He also charged $90 to something that looks like a relief fund (probably a scam) and a few $2 charges at a hotel. Fortunately BoA has already canceled my card and is reimbursing me for everything.

Says the woman who's prego :p

My rant: boss called me at 7:30 last night to tell me I was going to our company location 100 miles away today. I drove up there at 6 this morning, talked to some people and was pretty bored stupid, drove back, and now I'm waiting for my class and lab to start (which go til 10 pm). I'm already exhausted and I have a pounding headache. The only way I could motivate myself to get here was by reminding myself how much I despise my current job and the only way to get out of it is to suck it up, come to class, do great, and get into vet school. Le sigh ... I can do this!! :)

The heat + stressing about surgery gave me a migraine too. Mostly surgery just makes me feel like I'll never be a competent vet. :(

It'll get better. Here's how I see it: it's a totally new skill to us, I think one of the few totally new and kind of complex skillsets we learn in vet school. Sure, you have to learn to think like a doctor, but you've been thinking your whole life so that comes a little easier IMO. Just like anything else, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

Or if you can't find a crate down there, at least confine to a set area that has been doggy proofed

i need to human proof. the guinea pig never did stuff like this! (she just liked chewing wires ;) ) i left the drawer ajar this morning because i'm sleepy, stupid, and forgetful. and i'm just not used to having something around that will point out my sloppy human ways!

What's dog peanut butter? PB made for dogs? Or PB designated by you for dog?

its normal JIF, but it was one of those little to-go packs that i had been using to slap a small bit in a kong for her from time to time.

i swear i'm such a dummy sometimes!

Just wanted to update about my physics II class (last pre-req I need).... I got in!!

I emailed every single person I knew in administration, the chair of the department, the pre-health office, went to see a bunch of people in the department in person, my email got forwarded to the dean of students, etc. etc. but in the end it came down to names being pulled from a freaking bag. I think my professor rigged it a little bit since it seemed like most of the names chosen were her students from last semester but still. I almost puked while it was happening, it was so nerve-wracking. :eek: :eek:

All in all, this is the perfect way to "go out" I guess. My undergrad school is a complete freaking mess when it comes to registration (and has been every. darn. semester.) so I don't know why I thought I wouldn't get screwed over in my very last semester!

Just wanted to update about my physics II class (last pre-req I need).... I got in!!

I emailed every single person I knew in administration, the chair of the department, the pre-health office, went to see a bunch of people in the department in person, my email got forwarded to the dean of students, etc. etc. but in the end it came down to names being pulled from a freaking bag. I think my professor rigged it a little bit since it seemed like most of the names chosen were her students from last semester but still. I almost puked while it was happening, it was so nerve-wracking. :eek: :eek:

All in all, this is the perfect way to "go out" I guess. My undergrad school is a complete freaking mess when it comes to registration (and has been every. darn. semester.) so I don't know why I thought I wouldn't get screwed over in my very last semester!

Woohoo!

ahhh i need the human equivalent of frontline, advantix, certifect, etc.!! the major downside to living in a tropical climate with a dog (who is protected) :eek: so gross. so so gross. i do not want to find another one of those buggers on me or my dog ever again. ewww

Fantastic news!! What a huge stress relief!!!

so the clinic I used to work at is begging me to come back because Dr. B keeps overdosing their exotics. :(

Have there been adverse outcomes? I'd totally have someone encourage board complaints...

It's true with any profession but it never fails to amaze me how dangerously incompetent some people can be and still skate by (or even flourish)

I realize that this is a slightly obnoxious rant since probably most of you don't have time to go out at all with your schedules...

BUT I just got back from tango dancing. I love dancing, I'm not trying to date my dance partner, I'm trying to frickin dance. Although most of the guys are great in that regard, there's a guy who keeps dancing me into a corner with mirrors on both sides to watch my backside as I dance. :barf:

I broke my glasses today and anyone else who is vision-impaired probably knows how hard it is to find a pair of glasses that you REALLY like. I had this pair for 4 years (since my last beloved pair bit the dust). :cry::cry:

To clarify: I broke the frame. I wish it was just a lens.

I broke my glasses today and anyone else who is vision-impaired probably knows how hard it is to find a pair of glasses that you REALLY like. I had this pair for 4 years (since my last beloved pair bit the dust). :cry::cry:

That does suck! It is surprisingly hard to find a good pair. I'm that way with sunglasses too. I don't really enjoy wearing glasses, but sometimes they are a godsend when my contacts are being stupid. Good luck on finding a new pair!

:( Sorry RinTinTin. As a fellow glass-wearer I totally commiserate as it took me 5 stores to find a pair I liked. Good luck finding a new pair!!

Ever have.. you know.. half of a biiig tree fall onto your house RIGHT ABOVE YOUR BED while you're sleeping? Scared the **** out of me 15 minutes ago. Woke up to a really loud noise and then crashing right on top of me. Blocking the steps to the front door below me now.. My heart is still racing. haha

Cats are in a carrier downstairs now where I can grab them faster just in case (they're only allowed upstairs usually). Ivy is still sitting in the corner on the far side of the room. Scared the crap out of her too..

And everyone else in the house is sleeping..

Last night around midnight, my flight to Philadelphia for my Penn interview today was cancelled, and I had to frantically try to book a new flight that I could actually make without missing my work shift IN ADDITION TO my class today. Finally found one on a different airline, for three times the original cost and no refund. Bleh.

Last night around midnight, my flight to Philadelphia for my Penn interview today was cancelled, and I had to frantically try to book a new flight that I could actually make without missing my work shift IN ADDITION TO my class today. Finally found one on a different airline, for three times the original cost and no refund. Bleh.

Ugh that blows sorry :(
Just forget about it for now and enjoy your interview. :thumbup:

Have there been adverse outcomes? I'd totally have someone encourage board complaints...

It's true with any profession but it never fails to amaze me how dangerously incompetent some people can be and still skate by (or even flourish)

Permanent neurological damage in a hamster.

Ugh, I'm soooo sorry. Try to let it go and be relaxed tomorrow and then come to happy hour for some cheap drinks! I'll be there for a little bit so try to fine me, and then I'm heading out to all you can eat sushi/beer and then a black light party at our fraternity house.

I was laid off the night before my interview last year and I'm pretty sure it messed with my head a little bit during the interview.

Rant: People who where too much perfume/cologne!!!! I hate having to gasp for breath while trying not to show my displeasure :mad:

Smelling nice is great, but please...use moderation. :rolleyes:

Rant: People who where too much perfume/cologne!!!! I hate having to gasp for breath while trying not to show my displeasure :mad:

Smelling nice is great, but please...use moderation. :rolleyes:

My roommate. Gives me a headache every single morning. And it's like stuff a 12 year old would wear. I don't get it.

Is it justin beaver's perfume line?

:rofl:

lady-gaga-perfume-400x400.jpg

Featuring fragrance notes of blood and semen. Gotta love this stuff. :eyebrow:

Ever have.. you know.. half of a biiig tree fall onto your house RIGHT ABOVE YOUR BED while you're sleeping? Scared the **** out of me 15 minutes ago. Woke up to a really loud noise and then crashing right on top of me. Blocking the steps to the front door below me now.. My heart is still racing. haha

Cats are in a carrier downstairs now where I can grab them faster just in case (they're only allowed upstairs usually). Ivy is still sitting in the corner on the far side of the room. Scared the crap out of her too..

And everyone else in the house is sleeping..

Slightly surprised no one has mentioned this but ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?? That sounds terrifying!!! Hope everyone's okay!