This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloe1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was so hoping I wouldn't be stuck in this position....But now I have no idea how to proceed. I got my MCAT score yesterday and hadn't hit the submit button for primary bc I wanted to see score, not what I anticipated.
C/P 129
CARS 125
B/B 124 ( eeekkk)
P/S 128

I was shocked as CARS and B/B are generally my strongest section. I was also interrupted by proctor during bio and pulled out while testing bc they said my fingerprint didn't register, threw me off completely and wasted a few minutes. I should have reported and think it's now too late. My post bacc was at UCONN and I received a 4.0, I am 29 and nontraditional student. Undergrad was around a 3.8 and I also worked in finance for 4 years before returning to school. Lots of EC and volunteering etc.. I really want to go to UCONN or Quinnipiac but not sure with MCAT. ( dang bio) should I submit primary and still retake in Sept?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your a tough decision solely based on timing. And its why I say the latest you can take fand MCAT or an efficient, logical, application cycle is May.

1) You havent submitted yet, even with a single school in ordered to have been verified.
2) Your score is low for many schools, though your academics are good.
3) Your planned retake is late in the cycle.

If you have two highly desired schools, perhaps the best course of action is to apply only to those two and plan a retake in September. That way you might get a shot at local schools without a broad based application that may just make you a reapplicant far too many places next year

My plan was to still submit today. I know that I need to be verified and that I it will take time but, if I plan 9/9 retake how will the school view my application if I have the 506 on file and it shows that I am retaking?

The bio completely crushed my score ( I have never scored less than 126 in practice) ....

I
I was so hoping I wouldn't be stuck in this position....But now I have no idea how to proceed. I got my MCAT score yesterday and hadn't hit the submit button for primary bc I wanted to see score, not what I anticipated.
C/P 129
CARS 125
B/B 124 ( eeekkk)
P/S 128

I was shocked as CARS and B/B are generally my strongest section. I was also interrupted by proctor during bio and pulled out while testing bc they said my fingerprint didn't register, threw me off completely and wasted a few minutes. I should have reported and think it's now too late. My post bacc was at UCONN and I received a 4.0, I am 29 and nontraditional student. Undergrad was around a 3.8 and I also worked in finance for 4 years before returning to school. Lots of EC and volunteering etc.. I really want to go to UCONN or Quinnipiac but not sure with MCAT. ( dang bio) should I submit primary and still retake in Sept?

Please help!
I think you are already late in the cycle for a retake. Will you have enough time to study to significantly increase your score? It's nots a good score, but it's not terrible. I would recommend you apply to a couple of DO schools and your state MD school ( if not from CA). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
C/P 129
CARS 125
B/B 124 ( eeekkk)
P/S 128

Please help!

You could still apply this cycle, though, with your score to the lower end of MD schools. You do not have the best chances in the world, but it won't be impossible. With your GPA, you're looking at about a 33% chance of getting in anywhere. As you know, your best chance is going to be at UCONN or QUINN, but there are a ton of other schools that might give you a shot at an interview.

My suggestion: if you get the right shadowing hours, DO schools will give you a good look too. You're not a shoe-in for them, either... but why not apply to both and not retake the MCAT unless you have to?

If you're trying to go elsewhere, it is a good idea to retake (and do better) if you plan on going MD. But, I'd recommend just trying this cycle and seriously retaking it next year if you don't have any acceptances.

Thanks! I am a CT resident. I think over a month and a half could increase as the bio section and CARS was not my typical average. My practice was always 127+ for CARS and 126+ for bio so I think I was in good shape to start but I just bombed it from distractions and timing.

Either way I still want to retake in Sept. even if not for this cycle because I need to work and can't afford to have more time off to study.

I just hope that if I don't get accepted reapplying isn't viewed as terrible.

They will likely initially screen on the 506 but will include the new MCAT before final review. How wide spread you apply is really a function of how willing your are to go else where for medical school. The worst thing to do is apply and get accepted at a school you really dont attend and then think to turn it down and reapply next term. Hence my suggestion applying to a select few schools

I really only want to go to school in CT, specifically UCONN. But with that bio score it's a toss up.

By the way, thank you very much for your advice.