Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected as well. Just for reference: cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.1 MCAT 29. Family in Colorado. US Navy Vet.

Members don't see this ad.

Have any IN STATE students been rejected here? If so, what were your stats?...I have a 3.65cGPA (3.55sci GPA and 3.75ao GPA) with an MCAT score of 30 and I am trying to decide if it is worth applying here or if I will just get rejected (and yes I am a CO resident)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied and still waiting for information. I was wondering if anyone knows the youngest age accepted at RVU? Rocky Vista is my first choice. I am 19 and worry they will not accept me for my age. Any thoughts?

There were rumors of someone in our class being 19 when accepted... can't verify that...

I think if you're a CO resident, you should apply

Wait do you guys mean you were rejected pre or post interview?

I got an ii, but I declined because I thought it was a wack school, and I got several ii to better schools. oh well. Colorado sucks anyways. No weed for me :luck:

Wow... why did you apply in the first place? Just feel like spending money??

I applied the first week of July. It still is in processing stage. How long does that take before getting verified and sent to the schools? Feeling anxious. Any thoughts?

Check with them, maybe there's a problem somewhere

Got my first rejection of the cycle post-secondary.

My stats are 3.4/3.4 and 28 mcat (9/10/9). What surprises me is that I am a non-trad, and my last 86 credit hours are at a 4.0 in upper level math/chem classes. Prior active military, EMT, etc.

I'm actually pretty bummed because I liked the military med track and the school's location. This was probably my #2 choice.

Alas. Good luck to everyone else! And congrats to those who got interviews, sounds like they are screening pretty hard.

Edit: I was complete 8/20, for anyone interested.

I applied early July and still my app has not been verified. I think I blew it not applying earlier. Anyone else still processing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to sound like I shouldn't submit the secondary. I am a NY resident with a 3.45c/3.30s and a 28 (9/10/9). What do you guys think, should I submit the secondary?

Starting to sound like I shouldn't submit the secondary. I am a NY resident with a 3.45c/3.30s and a 28 (9/10/9). What do you guys think, should I submit the secondary?

Total crapshoot.

I have applied and still waiting for information. I was wondering if anyone knows the youngest age accepted at RVU? Rocky Vista is my first choice. I am 19 and worry they will not accept me for my age. Any thoughts?

I'm a first year and someone in my class is 20.

Got an ii, set for the 9th of OCT. Anyone else out there joining me? It seems that RVU is very selective with the ii; a double edged sword I suppose, at least they are courteous enough not to waste anyone's time and money if they don't intend to look at you seriously. Good luck to everyone!

I have a 3.86c, 3.77s and a 29MCAT. I'm from Illinois. Do I have a chance?

3.8 gpa 25 mcat OOS this school is ridiculously tough with the regional bias

ya, thats what ive heard. which sucks cuz im OOS too. This school looks really awesome but i hope they can just get over my OSS-ness

For people who ended up getting an II did you guys work while in school? Any non-trad people get IIs?

I'm guessing they ask that as one of the secondary prompts because they want to see if an applicant can handle the rigors of medical school. Unfortunately I didn't work throughout college.

For people who ended up getting an II did you guys work while in school? Any non-trad people get IIs?

I'm guessing they ask that as one of the secondary prompts because they want to see if an applicant can handle the rigors of medical school. Unfortunately I didn't work throughout college.

I wrote about my college job in the secondary. Haha it was cleaning bathrooms and scrubbing toilets, but I put it down!

Can someone who has already filled out the secondary let me know what the character limits/word limits are for the RVU secondary prompts?

Thank you very much. :) :) :)

"The regional bias" that you speak of is 40% of the students, the remaining 60% come from OOS, with MN, CA, and TX being the largest feeder states. Sorry, but you can't blame where you're from for the rejections, they saw something else...

"The regional bias" that you speak of is 40% of the students, the remaining 60% come from OOS, with MN, CA, and TX being the largest feeder states. Sorry, but you can't blame where you're from for the rejections, they saw something else...

Very excited about this school. Been complete since 08/20 and haven't heard anything since. Hoping to get an interview invite soon!

No Utah? I thought RVU liked us UT kids...

They do, UT just isn't one of the top 3 feeder states! Or at least not to my knowledge, & they're considered regional ;)

RVU had set up a pipe line program with southern utah university. So Utah will become more of a major player. However there are a lot of Utah kids even now; including myself. Just off hand in my class alone I know we have at least 10. So it may not be as big as Colorado (they take a lot from Colorado) it still has a far amount.

RVU is setting up a school in Southern UT, so I doubt that most UT students will be coming to us, they'll be staying in UT...

Anyone know this school's policy on submitting additional letters of recommendation?

I am waiting for interview invite. This is my first choice of schools. So anxious. Anyone else sent n secondary and waiting for interview?

RVU is setting up a school in Southern UT, so I doubt that most UT students will be coming to us, they'll be staying in UT...

Princess,

Could you tell us briefly why you like RVU?

I have an acceptance at LECOM-B and I may have to compare the two if I gain an acceptance here after the interview.

I am looking for opportunities for research and I was wondering if RVU has these.

Thanks!

They do, UT just isn't one of the top 3 feeder states! Or at least not to my knowledge, & they're considered regional ;)

I didn't know we were considered regional. I do know that RVU has an early acceptance program with my school, I just hope they don't pressure me about why I didn't do it haha

Princess,

Could you tell us briefly why you like RVU?

I have an acceptance at LECOM-B and I may have to compare the two if I gain an acceptance here after the interview.

I am looking for opportunities for research and I was wondering if RVU has these.

Thanks!

I'm actually wondering this myself

Wondering same as above. Also, if you've got a below average MCAT score, does that put you out of the running for Global Medicine or R/W, or is admittance to that based off grades you get as a first year medical student?

Plenty of students do research at RVU. You just have to come up with the ideas and initiate it, and faculty will help where they can. MCAT scores are not considered for track acceptance (in fact once you're accepted to med school your MCAT score becomes a thing of the past that no one really cares about). Track acceptance is based on first year academic performance, application essays, and interview.

Plenty of students do research at RVU. You just have to come up with the ideas and initiate it, and faculty will help where they can. MCAT scores are not considered for track acceptance (in fact once you're accepted to med school your MCAT score becomes a thing of the past that no one really cares about). Track acceptance is based on first year academic performance, application essays, and interview.

Thanks for the reply! Do you mean the track application essays or like our AACOMAS and secondary essays?

Just the track application. Once you're in school your application becomes pretty irrelevant

To answer a few questions:

The secondary has no character limit. I kept mine all around 1500 or so; I hate writing essays.

I am non-trad (5 years active military, before undergrad) and received an II. I graduated from CU, May 2012. I'll be interviewing on 9/11 (afternoon). (34K, 3.3c/3.5s, biochem major)

I mentioned location in my secondary as I grew up in Colorado, live in Parker, and plan to practice here someday. They mention a goal to educate primary-care physicians that will practice in the area (mid-west-ish). I mentioned I was unsure of specialty but was sure about staying/returning to CO.

Just a guess, but I think they favor applicants that have experience with a DO and have a letter from a DO (most DO schools seem to). My DO shadowing experience was instrumental in my decision to apply to DO schools, so I specifically mentioned it.

I volunteer at Sky Ridge Medical Center (closest hospital to RVU campus) and see a ton of RVU students there every week. The few I have spoken to speak extremely highly about RVU. The only negative I have heard is that rotations at CU medical school/hospital can be hard to get and, if I remember correctly, RVU students had to pay CU tuition for them. Would be very interested in clarification of this, if any current students can comment?

Good luck everyone! Hopefully see some of you this Wednesday!

I have 3.7sgpa/ 3.56 cgpa/23 mcat. Over 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ some non clinical. Chances look okay for an ii?

Does anyone know this school's policy on submitting additional letters of recommendation?

Currently there is a fee to rotate at CU. we are working on getting it changed.
I believe you can send more LORs, but ask the admissions people, but I think I submitted 4.
Congrats on your II, & I can't say if people will get IIs based on stats alone. I can say that I am happy here, & still live every day in med school compared to my job... Every year it gets better, & I feel if you have the qualities they're looking for, you'll get an II...

570071440_normal.jpg

I was just wondering what you guys think of this outfit as a potential interview outfit. I know this might be off topic, but I thought it was appropriate since interview season has begun.

My personal opinion is no. Stick with darker colors, they tend to be viewed as more professional, & if you spill it won't be clear as day...