Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who interviewed Nov. 12th heard from the admissions committee today regarding a possible acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview scheduled in a couple of weeks and am looking at booking my flight. Can anyone tell me what an interview day is like and how long they are? I found a flight out of Denver around 6:30 pm but the interview starts at 11 a.m. and I don't want to miss the flight or feel too rushed.

Also, what are some reasons that those who have been accepted have decided they are going to matriculate here? TIA

I would think that the 11am interview goes until 4:30ish, the 8am interview goes until 1:30ish...
If you rented a car you could easily get to the airport in time to make a 6:30 flight, assuming you leave straight from the school...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that the 11am interview goes until 4:30ish, the 8am interview goes until 1:30ish...
If you rented a car you could easily get to the airport in time to make a 6:30 flight, assuming you leave straight from the school...
Thanks for the help! :)

Hi, the school is in the process of getting one set up, just an FYI!

I saw today on the portal that my file was marked complete 11-19. Does anyone know what the typical timeline between being complete and ii is?

I saw today on the portal that my file was marked complete 11-19. Does anyone know what the typical timeline between being complete and ii is?
It seems like it was about 4 weeks for me.

Prncssbuttercup or any current student, I was wondering if you could comment on the computer/pda needed for RVU? What do people seem to like the most?

I have been waiting for a rejection or ii for a while. Most likely a rejection because I am from Massachusetts. 26 MCAT, 3.9 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa. Anyone else been waiting forever?

I have been waiting for a rejection or ii for a while. Most likely a rejection because I am from Massachusetts. 26 MCAT, 3.9 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa. Anyone else been waiting forever?
Have you checked the portal? They don't email ii, when you log into the portal you will see if you are able to schedule an interview and you schedule right in there.

Have you checked the portal? They don't email ii, when you log into the portal you will see if you are able to schedule an interview and you schedule right in there.
Yes, I check it religiously. Nothing yet! Hoping for some love soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it's 50/50 macs/PCs. Some people only used Ipads, but we now have electronic testing, and those are not compliant. You can have a touch screen computer, but it needs to be a laptop, not a tablet. While tablets are great for class, they aren't compatible with RVU's testing software.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it mandatory that you purchase a new computer for school? Or can you roll with what you have? Because if mandatory, the Microsoft Surface is looking pretty legit. :)

Hey everyone! Just wanted to offer up some "should-I-apply" themed info.

I'm a New York resident and submitted my secondary only twelve days ago. Got my interview invite last night! My stats aren't crazy either: 3.75/28 with six years as an EMT and a liberal arts degree. It just goes to show you, you never know what will happen unless you submit! Good luck..... and may the odds be ever in your favor! (First movie was WAY better than the second.)

Question time for me: does anyone know how many interviewees are accepted? NY-->CO is a trek!

Congrats on the ii! I think in my ii email, they said something like nearly 75% of interviewees get accepted, so it's definitely worth the trek if you like the school! Good luck, the interview process was really relaxed! :)

Is it mandatory that you purchase a new computer for school? Or can you roll with what you have? Because if mandatory, the Microsoft Surface is looking pretty legit. :)

If your current computer works, it probably will be fine. There are people using 6-7yr old macbooks and windows laptops... they're slow, but they work for the tests and whatever else...

How full is the class? Is it too late to submit a secondary?

How full is the class? Is it too late to submit a secondary?
I don't know how full the class is, but as long as the deadline has not passed, it is not too late. I was rather late in the cycle when I submitted my secondary because I was waiting on a letter. Obviously, sooner is better but if you like the school you might as well try.

Would any RVU students with experience please comment on the clinical rotations, years 3 and 4? I was accepted at RVU and CCOM and have a strong interest in specializing in ophthalmology. My impression is the first two didactic years are great prep for boards, but how much positive exposure will I have in clinicals that will help me get into such a residency? CCOM touts their Chciago rotation sites but I'm not enamored with the location or the price tag.

Any news on a facebook group yet? :)

Would any RVU students with experience please comment on the clinical rotations, years 3 and 4? I was accepted at RVU and CCOM and have a strong interest in specializing in ophthalmology. My impression is the first two didactic years are great prep for boards, but how much positive exposure will I have in clinicals that will help me get into such a residency? CCOM touts their Chciago rotation sites but I'm not enamored with the location or the price tag.

I am a 2nd year. Best I can say is that we've had people placing in competitive specialties (anesthesia at Univ CO, Rad-onc at Baylor, and more), and I'm sure if you wanted to go for Opth you'd have that open as long as you keep your grades high and your board scores high...

So, I submitted by secondary about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear back about a decision, but I'm going to be in Denver for Christmas (my wife is from around there). Would it be appropriate or a good idea to email/call them seeing if there is a way for me to interview while I'm out there, assuming that they actually do want to interview me?

Are we supposed to get a complete email? Or are we just supposed to keep track via rvu portal?
Also, after submitting a secondary, how long approx does it take to hear about a potential ii?

So, I submitted by secondary about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear back about a decision, but I'm going to be in Denver for Christmas (my wife is from around there). Would it be appropriate or a good idea to email/call them seeing if there is a way for me to interview while I'm out there, assuming that they actually do want to interview me?
You can politely email admissions, but since the school will be on break over the holidays (23-2nd) there may not be an opportunity to have you interview. I emailed Nova for the same reasons, they never responded, and never offered me an II, so I don't think it mattered to them much! It won't hurt you to ask if they're looking to interview you, and if they're not, it still won't matter!

Are we supposed to get a complete email? Or are we just supposed to keep track via rvu portal?
Also, after submitting a secondary, how long approx does it take to hear about a potential ii?
If you look back you can see what others posted, I am not sure there's a set amount of time you'll hear from any school, as it will depend on your stats

Oh, and yes, check your portal and it will tell you if you're complete

Last edited:
Thanks, Prncssbuttercup. I wouldn't know what to say in an email like that, especially when it sounds like the school will be closed for the Holidays. Maybe I could go tour the campus while I'm there anyway to get a feel for the school.

Just got the call for acceptance! Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing, seems like a great school

Just got the call for acceptance! Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing, seems like a great school

Congrats! Are you planning on matriculating?

Congrats! Are you planning on matriculating?
Not sure yet. I'm still waiting for more interviews (MD and DO). I'm also holding an acceptance to TUCOM and have LECOM interviews coming up. But I absolutely loved my time at RVU and with my host family! I'd be more than happy to matriculate here.

Not sure yet. I'm still waiting for more interviews (MD and DO). I'm also holding an acceptance to TUCOM and have LECOM interviews coming up. But I absolutely loved my time at RVU and with my host family! I'd be more than happy to matriculate here.

Well good luck with the process! If you do decide to matriculate, I'll see you in August!

Just got the acceptance call this morning too! Admissions woke me up, but it was worth it.

Most likely, but I am not sure yet. What about you? Are you set for sure?

I have 3 schools I haven't heard a peep from since I returned secondaries 3 months ago (CCOM, PCOM, and U Colorado Denver MD). I would only even consider attending an interview to two of those, but my first deposit is in, and it would take a seriously impressive school to make me change my mind. I loved RVU. :)

I have 3 schools I haven't heard a peep from since I returned secondaries 3 months ago (CCOM, PCOM, and U Colorado Denver MD). I would only even consider attending an interview to two of those, but my first deposit is in, and it would take a seriously impressive school to make me change my mind. I loved RVU. :)

Cool! Well we might be future classmates then. I still have to hear back from some schools though. Going to RVU for the interview and getting the tour made me like the school even more.

Cool! Well we might be future classmates then. I still have to hear back from some schools though. Going to RVU for the interview and getting the tour made me like the school even more.

Awesome. Well good luck with the rest of the process, and who knows, maybe in a year or so we'll be jammed into a study room crying a little bit inside. ;)

A friend of mine (at RVU) applied as an IS applicant to UCO with a 40 mcat, and a 3.97 gpa and she was waitlisted at UCO...
I am honestly not sure what they're looking for...

Anyone know if you can submit a research PI recommendation letter in lieu of a science professor? I've been out of school for a year and it would be really difficult to get a science professor to write me one.