Save the NJ Contracts!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quaggi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and get corzine out of office ASAP!

for those of you that may not have heard yet, our lovely Jon Corzine has proposed to cancel the nj contract program for vet students, which means that for the 06-07 year and possibly forever, more than 100 vet students (myself included) will not be recieving funds that we should be getting. if you are from NJ and trying to get a contract seat, don't sit by and let this budget cut happen! contact our representatives and get involved! budget cuts that affect education should not be made and we can make a difference if we try! when I get more information on how to get involved, i will post it here as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Quaggi said:
...and get corzine out of office ASAP!

for those of you that may not have heard yet, our lovely Jon Corzine has proposed to cancel the nj contract program for vet students, which means that for the 06-07 year and possibly forever, more than 100 vet students (myself included) will not be recieving funds that we should be getting. if you are from NJ and trying to get a contract seat, don't sit by and let this budget cut happen! contact our representatives and get involved! budget cuts that affect education should not be made and we can make a difference if we try! when I get more information on how to get involved, i will post it here as well.

Are you serious? and by 06-07 do you mean the class entering this coming fall? That's awful!

yeah, effective for this incoming class, and all other current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
aww man! what can i do?

I think the trend with a lot for schools is to get rid of the contracts....I think Kansas dissolved its relationship w/ Nebraska effect this year as well.

My understanding is simply that the education is costing a lot more relative to their funding and the applicant pool has become significantly more competitive such that no one really wants to deal with the contracts...

Horseyvet -

in this case, it's not the schools getting rid of the contracts, it's the state. And it also has nothing to do with the competitive applicant pool, because this will seriously affect NJ students' chances of getting into out of state vet schools. In my opinion, I don't really think $2 mil is that much money for the state, and the fact that theyre cancelling this program shows me that they have little respect for the veterinary profession...can they really expect us to go back to NJ if we don't feel supported? dont think so. This isn't one of those situations that you just sit back and take what's coming, and it's also not the same as what happened in kansas - nebraska went to iowa, they didn't lose their contracts.