This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaboi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm re-applying to dental schools this cycle and wanted to apply to a ton of schools this time around just to be safe. I've got 21 schools that I was going to apply to but I feel like I should widdle it down a bit, don't wanna spend too much money applying.

My GPA is 3.89 overall, sGPA 3.82
DAT 21AA 20TS 19PA 21QR 19RC 19Bio 19GC 25OC
300hrs research, 200hrs extracurricular, 150hrs shadowing but that number will continue to grow
Florida Resident, UF Graduate 2016
I'd be happy to provide any other info as well

*Updated List*
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)

Louisiana State University School of Dentistry (LSU)
Medical University of South Carolina James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine (MSC)
New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry (OHSU)
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine (SUSB)

Texas A&M University College of Dentistry (TAMUCD)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
The Ohio State University College of Dentistry (OSU)

The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (COL)
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry (UCLA)
University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry (UCSF)
University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine (CONN)
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA)

University of Louisville School of Dentistry (UL)
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
University of Michigan School of Dentistry (MICH)
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (UNE)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU)
WesternU College of Dental Medicine (WESTU)

I appreciate any advice as to which schools I should add/remove.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just curious how you did not get accepted last cycle with that stats, may i ask was that DAT score the same from last cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've been wondering the same thing. I only took the DAT once, but I took it at the end of July last year so my scores weren't in till the end of August. I also only had 70hrs of shadowing so I think that combined with not applying early enough is why I didn't get accepted anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe cut some of the schools that are expensive, MUSC UNE BU Case etc etc

I would drop ucla and add Midwestern IL or maybe even AZ.

Maybe cut some of the schools that are expensive, MUSC UNE BU Case etc etc
How much more expensive are they compared to all the other OOS/private schools? I read that UNE,BU, and Case are all OOS friendly, that's the only reason I was applying to them. And Charleston seems like a cool place to live so that's the only reason why I was gonna apply to MUSC

I have no interest in living in Arizona, but why Midwestern IL? And why not UCLA? I read that their tuition is pretty cheap and if by chance I get an interview, it's very likely that I'll get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no interest in living in Arizona, but why Midwestern IL? And why not UCLA? I read that their tuition is pretty cheap and if by chance I get an interview, it's very likely that I'll get accepted.
I was going more off the chances of getting in

How much more expensive are they compared to all the other OOS/private schools? I read that UNE,BU, and Case are all OOS friendly, that's the only reason I was applying to them. And Charleston seems like a cool place to live so that's the only reason why I was gonna apply to MUSC

MUSC is 104k in tuition and fees alone for the first year. Living costs not included. I recommend you look up the tuition sheets of ALL the schools yourself. They are all posted on the schools websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering the same thing. I only took the DAT once, but I took it at the end of July last year so my scores weren't in till the end of August. I also only had 70hrs of shadowing so I think that combined with not applying early enough is why I didn't get accepted anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
MUSC is 104k in tuition and fees alone for the first year. Living costs not included. I recommend you look up the tuition sheets of ALL the schools yourself. They are all posted on the schools websites.
Okay but that's just the first year for non-residents. After a year I can become a resident of SC correct? Then tuition drops to ~70k a year, which is comparable to all the other schools I'm applying to.

Okay but that's just the first year for non-residents. After a year I can become a resident of SC correct? Then tuition drops to ~70k a year, which is comparable to all the other schools I'm applying to.

There are schools out there that have tuition 50k and under.

Not sure why you didn't get in with those stats. I'd suggest working on your interview skills in the mean time and creating communication with schools. Don't go crazy but communication can and will get you in. Talk to Dr. Lippman at Nova every few months just to update him and have your name come across his desk. Since you are from Florida I would even suggest going to the FL schools with your stats and ask what you should be doing in the mean time. DONT ASK SCHOOLS WHY YOU DIDNT GET IN. Ask what you can do to strengthen your application as you present your stats.

Not sure why you didn't get in with those stats. I'd suggest working on your interview skills in the mean time and creating communication with schools. Don't go crazy but communication can and will get you in. Talk to Dr. Lippman at Nova every few months just to update him and have your name come across his desk. Since you are from Florida I would even suggest going to the FL schools with your stats and ask what you should be doing in the mean time. DONT ASK SCHOOLS WHY YOU DIDNT GET IN. Ask what you can do to strengthen your application as you present your stats.
Yea I've spoken to Dr. Lippmann a few times but he didn't seem like he really cared that I was calling and every time I said my name it was like he was hearing my name for the first time. And I went to UF to review my application like you just said and all they told me was that I should work on improving all aspects of my application. :penguin: But like, I'm not going retake the DAT because I thought my score was decent and I don't think it's worth the risk of getting a lower score. I already graduated so I can't change my GPA. And I'm currently gaining more shadowing experience, so what else can I do?

Just remove some that you don't particularly wan't to go to. I know you probably have some sort of ranking in your head. I think your list looks fine minus Texas and SC. Some other OOS choices could be UAB, Pitt, Kentucky, Rutgers, and Ohio State.

No dont drop UCLA! UCLA is a research school too and you have a lot of research hours. Also their dat av is 22 and your GPA is above their av.

Honestly, you didn't get in last year, I would not drop any school now, I would add more schools like Boston and others.
You don't want to risk it now, do you?

No dont drop UCLA! UCLA is a research school too and you have a lot of research hours. Also their dat av is 22 and your GPA is above their av.
Okay thank you, I'll keep UCLA then

Honestly, you didn't get in last year, I would not drop any school now, I would add more schools like Boston and others.
You don't want to risk it now, do you?
Yea I know, that's why I've got so many schools this time around. I've already got the 2 Boston schools, BU and Tufts. What else do you think I should add?

Yea I know, that's why I've got so many schools this time around. I've already got the 2 Boston schools, BU and Tufts. What else do you think I should add?

Sorry I didn't read that
I would suggest you add UIC

University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Dentistry
Here are their requirements:
Admissions Requirements for the DMD Program | University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Dentistry

I hate when they specify at least 100 hours of shadowing but you are fine now

I don't know if it's in the nice part of the city or not.

Sorry I didn't reat that
I would suggest you add UIC

University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Dentistry
Here are their requirements

Kinda suck, each school requires too much from students as if they are gods, but yeah at least it's not in Arizona
but I don't know if it's in the nice part of the city or not.
I had wanted to apply to UIC until I read that 100% of their enrolled class was in state residents. Now maybe that's only true for one of the years, but still some ****ty odds for OOS applicants

I had wanted to apply to UIC until I read that 100% of their enrolled class was in state residents. Now maybe that's only true for one of the years, but still some ****ty odds for OOS applicants
Yes, I read that the first thing on their website, they said priority will go toward residents of their state.
Not fair!
"
In order to be considered for the DMD program, applicants must:

But your stats were very good, did you apply to a small number of schools last year?
Maybe your Ps was not good enough?

But your stats were very good, did you apply to a small number of schools last year?
Maybe your Ps was not good enough?
Yea I only applied to 4 schools last year. So that's why I'm trying to apply to 15-20 this time, don't wanna have to apply a third time. And yea I'm working on my PS, but writing is not my strong suit, especially when it comes to writing about myself

Have you seen the taxes IL residents pay...
No but I'm sure they pay a lot. Hey, so you're enrolled at PITT. Are you a Penn resident or did you apply OOS?

I'd drop UCLA and add Ohio State, as others have mentioned. If I remember correctly, Ohio State takes a fairly large number of OOS students. As an OOS, I think UCLA is a stretch with your stats. I'd also drop Columbia. They obsess over DAT scores, read as 23+.

Big Hoss

I was going to apply to OSU, until I saw this on their website
class-of-2020-profile3.png

And I think I might go ahead and apply to UCLA because someone mentioned how they like research and my app's got that. They only interview a small # of OOS, but accept ~90% of the ones they interview

And I think I might go ahead and apply to UCLA because someone mentioned how they like research and my app's got that. They only interview a small # of OOS, but accept ~90% of the ones they interview
Most schools will like research experience, not just UCLA. Honestly though, 300 hours really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. It's not even 2 months of full-time work. With an advanced science degree and years of full-time research experience, combined with a 3.7+ undergrad and grad GPA and 24 DAT, I wasn't even offered an interview invite at UCLA as an OOS. I did get into UCSF, though. I share all that to give you a picture of what it'll take you as an OOS applicant to get into UCLA. I'd like to see you save your money and time to apply somewhere else where you've got a better shot. Same reason I suggested not applying to Columbia. If you're DAT was 23+, I'd give the green light for Columbia.

Big Hoss

Most schools will like research experience, not just UCLA. Honestly though, 300 hours really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. It's not even 2 months of full-time work. With an advanced science degree and years of full-time research experience, combined with a 3.7+ undergrad and grad GPA and 24 DAT, I wasn't even offered an interview invite at UCLA as an OOS. I did get into UCSF, though. I share all that to give you a picture of what it'll take you as an OOS applicant to get into UCLA. I'd like to see you save your money and time to apply somewhere else where you've got a better shot. Same reason I suggested not applying to Columbia. If you're DAT was 23+, I'd give the green light for Columbia.

Big Hoss
Alright I appreciate that, I'll take UCLA off my list. You think I should add UCSF? Of all the places to live, San Fran is at the top for me. And I was only applying to Columbia because someone told me their admissions committee really likes UF grads for some reason, so I thought why not give it a shot.

Alright I appreciate that, I'll take UCLA off my list. You think I should add UCSF? Of all the places to live, San Fran is at the top for me. And I was only applying to Columbia because someone told me their admissions committee really likes UF grads for some reason, so I thought why not give it a shot.
Honestly, UCSF is probably just as difficult as an OOS. I know there have to be other schools that are going to be more friendly to you as an out of stater. If you're limiting your number applications, you need to find these schools and apply to as many of them as possible. If you have money and time to spare, might as well apply to these long shots. But remember, they are just that, long shots.

Big Hoss

Edit: I still think you should apply to Ohio State.

Last edited:
Honestly, UCSF is probably just as difficult as an OOS. I know there have to be other schools that are going to be more friendly to you as an out of stater. If you're limiting your number applications, you need to find these schools and apply to as many of them as possible. If you have money and time to spare, might as well apply to these long shots. But remember, they are just that, long shots.

Big Hoss

Edit: I still think you should apply to Ohio State.
Alright thanks for the advice man. Why Ohio state if they only took 2 ppl from Florida last year? I certainly don't think I'm in the top 10 applicants from Florida

You have to take into account that a lot of people may get in OOS but choose to go somewhere else. I know someone who interviewed there who said they are oos friendly and offer in-state tuition after a year. That could be incorrect but thats what I've heard.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to take into account that a lot of people may get in OOS but choose to go somewhere else. I know someone who interviewed there who said they are oos friendly and offer in-state tuition after a year. That could be incorrect but thats what I've heard.
Alright, you've convinced me. Ohio's on the list

Alright thanks for the advice man. Why Ohio state if they only took 2 ppl from Florida last year? I certainly don't think I'm in the top 10 applicants from Florida
It could've been that a lot of people were accepted from Fl but you guys have 3 dental schools and they could've gotten into and chosen to go to one of those.

It could've been that a lot of people were accepted from Fl but you guys have 3 dental schools and they could've gotten into and chosen to go to one of those.
Very true

Add ucsf imo. People on the forums claim that ucsf isn't oos friendly, and the school claim that it is oos friendly, so who knows. It seems like there are a few out of staters in the 2021 class. You will never know if you don't apply.

Add ucsf imo. People on the forums claim that ucsf isn't oos friendly, and the school claim that it is oos friendly, so who knows. It seems like there are a few out of staters in the 2021 class. You will never know if you don't apply.
Oh boy, alright lol I'll do it

Last edited:
Are you a Cali resident? And do you mind sharing your stats?

Are you a Cali resident? And do you mind sharing your stats?

CA resident, gpa 3.97, DAT 24AA/26TS

Here's the Assistant Dean of Enrollment and Outreach at UCSF giving a speech at a pre-health conferrence at UC Davis. at about 2:50 or so he talks about common misconceptions about residency statistics on school websites etcetc at about 3:30 he mentions that UCSF does not look at residency until after acceptance

Last edited:

Keep in mind they accept a lot more OOS than this, they just end up going to their own state schools/other schools.

I loved OSU, got a scholarship to go their and I am not an Ohio resident. I would add them on your list.

CA resident, gpa 3.97, DAT 24AA/26TS

Here's the Assistant Dean of Enrollment and Outreach at UCSF giving a speech at a pre-health conferrence at UC Davis. at about 2:50 or so he talks about common misconceptions about residency statistics on school websites etcetc at about 3:30 he mentions that UCSF does not look at residency until after acceptance

Wow that's impressive, congrats man. And that video was really helpful, thank you.

Keep in mind they accept a lot more OOS than this, they just end up going to their own state schools/other schools.

I loved OSU, got a scholarship to go their and I am not an Ohio resident. I would add them on your list.

Yea I didn't think about that, I added OSU to my list. What did you like about OSU and what made you choose Columbia if you don't mind me asking?