SDN Pre-Vet WW 10th Anniversary Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oooooh it was also on the day I was silenced so I couldn’t react to it and then I forgot to follow up on a lot of the stuff in those pages when I was allowed to speak again. I lost all of my quotes when the thread locked and it was really disappointing :sorry:

Then overnight I talked as much as I could and then I was killed and skeletonized.
Yeah, and the thing was I actually did better when I peaced out from thread, got heat off me for a mad minute.

I knew Zenge was scum when I was about to wiggle out from yeet and it was going to go to Sunny (which from a strat perspective would have been better since she didn't have as much time to play and the seer and deflect abilities were perhaps not as useful as strongarm (which could have killed Zenge) and redirect), and he swooped in last min and switched it off me. I thought I was gonna make it before he did that. Didn’t give me a chance to do a role reveal, which I think could have helped me a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
wait they didn't used to be this long???

you really did come through with that D2 info

your play and focus on 3p is very much warranted, i see that now (im becoming a "yeet all 3p/wolf regardless" player i feel it). i felt for you during the game (made me seem sus ik) but i know how game/irl blends together, and i wanted to NAI/defend that (you were still a wolf, but being a wolf doesn't exclude you from support). im glad you got to take some time away from the game when you needed it <3

and wrt one of your previous posts, im glad you had fun too :) really made my 3rd (second long-term) game a real joy <3

also, i may turn into cray and become a "yeet all 3p and wolves" advocate on thread.
You are my new favorite!

I appreciated your play and your open mind. You had the sketch mason restriction on posting, but honestly I think your play as an outted mason was truly excellent and well beyond your current WW experience in terms of strategy.

You very much decreased your value as a wolf convert, and you even had me guessing if the other group had converted you somehow and if conversion on you would be a total waste. Even if not, by you getting sus on thread it greatly reduced your value as a potential convert. It's ideal not to be mistaken for scum and killed by a fellow villager, but at the same time, by you not being a convert target narrowed our pool and so we wasted an attempt on Zenge instead. Drawing a NK, misyeet, or a scum kill as a vanilla player is often better than alternatives, or going to end game.

And yes, I never lie about my emotions or what I have going on IRL when it comes to WW. And I did appreciate taking a step back from game thread and enjoying my baby more a few days.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
You did an amazing job!!! Way to go, Doc S!
@alleycat03 ... I started to suspect you might be village-aff because you seemed to be playing pro-v early on. But that could have been deceiving because I did NOT trust anyone early in game. Since I did not have a wincon, it was weird. But ... you played super-well and scored good convo that pointed to woofie players. Great job alley!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All right all you mother Cluckers I need you all to change your profile pictures back
Yeah, for nearly whole game, I did not know Cyndia was @Cyndia even though I had read some of Cyndia's post in DVM forums.

Didn't recognize the WW avatar.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. The wolves spent their second convert attempt on him and it didn’t work. But Zenge denied it so that people don’t think he’s 3p and so that we can keep misyeetinh villagers. All village misyeets became skeletons
Of course he denied it. I laughed out loud that people asked him and just accepted it when he scoffed about it.

Why did samac stay alive??
Well, answer depends on the stage of the game. initially we thought she was the lost wolf. Then in the middle we thought she was 3P. Then later we wanted people to be suspicious of the very fact she was alive. And then finally like cubs said, the dead seemed to become stumps that could continue to talk so he didn’t want that.
The whole point of him being able to make items was to make his wincon possible :shrug: otherwise, the only way he got skeletons past the first two was by pushing misyeets, which would of course put him more on village radar for getting voted out himself, or by correctly guessing who would be killed every fourth night. He had an extremely difficult wincon, and with the exception of the treadmill (which had a decay rate AND required that the targeted player be village and choose to join the skeleton army), his items were one time use. He did get lucky that the banana phone was used within an existing pm network, and so then caught 3 players instead of two, but it still relied on them dying before him.

There were a number of seer roles in the game that would have been able to find him out, in addition to him being vulnerable to being voted out or night killed. He did have one auto-revival prior to night 7 but would have lost all existing skeletons if he died and would have had to start from scratch. The skeletons were required to post at least once to indicate that they existed, and there were actually write up hints every time a player died and became a skeleton as well.

I don't think the game at all favored that role over any other, he used his ability well, the items all had restrictions, and with the first one he created very publicly being somewhat booby trapped, there was also cause for village to distrust additional items.
Wait wait wait…… so were ALL items in the game that were up for bid invented by Zenge?!?!
Good to know that every line of work has a ton of nonsense computer stuff you have to learn.
If it makes you feel better I have already learned … 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 different EMRs this year. And know there will be at least 2 new different ones next year, maybe more.
I gave myself a procrastination project to compile all the bids and put them in the spreadsheet so I'm sure I'll get around to that sometime
Well I made this easier because I only bid like once or twice for myself, and when I bid I literally just said “Sunny bids on xxx”. I never wagered the sun, moon, my vote, or my soul like apparently everyone else was doing.
That moment where Zenge, in the mayor neighborhood, floated the idea that violet's 3p group results were just referring to a faction and therefore could have been about MJ, and then one of the stumps (can't remember if it was fluff or True) said something similar on thread...I was worried they'd outted their connection right there, but it actually worked really well to get village looking the other way again.
Well that actually did make sense because that has happened as actual validated info in other games I’ve played. Like “there are 4 factions” and a 3P faction may have only 1 member. So even knowing zenge was 3P, that actually wasn’t far fetched.
@WildZoo

What was the solution to Alley’s final puzzle?
Oh, I put it in sunny's death writeup. "You danced your dance, but no one was around to see."
Bruh. PSV, one of your good eggs, already solved this, I confirmed it, and mod put it in write up.

BTW it took this long for me to catch up with the thread because I am still so busy.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait wait wait…… so were ALL items in the game that were up for bid invented by Zenge?!?!
Nah. The cigarettes, car, spreadsheet, shrug emojis, and whip were mod-created. Zenge made the gun, banana phone, tinfoil treadmill, and blanket. PSV made the fitbit, banana, and shoe.

Reactions: 6 users
Because the Fitbit is a tracker so by wearing it you become a tracker.

Reactions: 2 users
@alleycat03 ... I started to suspect you might be village-aff because you seemed to be playing pro-v early on. But that could have been deceiving because I did NOT trust anyone early in game. Since I did not have a wincon, it was weird. But ... you played super-well and scored good convo that pointed to woofie players. Great job alley!
OK, so I have a real bone to pick with how we are using the term "pro-village," and I think it's VERY important that we recognize, that just because someone seems helpful, like they are fostering discussion, promoting cooperation, peace on the thread, PMing, being forthcoming, providing original thought, and hell, even with a "perfect" VCA, does NOT mean they are in fact VILLAGE.

The perfect example of someone who very, very, very, very, often seems pro village to very max when they are in fact scum, is embodied by WZ. There are other players that do this as well. Their thread presence can seem village as all heck and they are very difficult to pick out.

I mean, Shorty was called pro-village. Her plan as she outlined it, was to yeet one wolf and then to back off. That is NOT as pro-village as you think.

I know she said she really wasn't scum reading me, but at the same time, her play truly felt to me like she didn't really want to get into it with me. That is one of the subtle changes of being 3P, there is a lot less to be gained by truly confronting players. One need only appear to be. Look at Zenge. He voted wolves but he didn't really lead the charge hard on any of us.

I noticed other 3Ps did this as well.

Frequently you will see 3P not ruffle as many feathers, or only ruffle certain ones. I will say it over and over again, pro-village play is probably better deduced by how someone is using their night actions and their VCA. Night action usage can be much tougher to discern, but probably a better sign, but even then you best be able to doublecheck. Shorty in HZD was a classic example of how "pro village" night actions were not proof of Aff. As wolf redirector this game, I could definitely do some "pro village" night actions, however to try to do that the entire game would be very difficult without overly hampering the wolf cause. It's also pretty difficult to deep wolf and vote out every one of your buddies.

That said, the above is a little more concrete data (night actions, votes) to gauge villagey-ness.

I know I didn't sound very village this game, but believe me, I can sound a helluva lot more village than I did. Sounding village is basically one of my superpowers if I choose to actually do it or have the time. Multiple things can stop me from that, one was that this game with the baseline sketch of my fellow wolf peeps, meant that it was much harder not to end up bussing them, and between that and the multiball, I was trying to make bolder moves and get shyte done and whatnot. I decided to go more for powerwolfing than deep wolfing and game design forced that. We had scum to hunt and a lost wolf to find and we needed to get village to get rid of the necromancer or ignore his minions. But deep wolf Cray is exactly the one to fear because I can imitate my village game very well.

If I ever end up in a wolf pack with some classically village read players, like say WZ, some players with yeet armor, watch the **** out. Because I will easily be able to sus or village read them all game long and totally get away with it. And I will sound just like my village self, and I will do a misyeet after misyeet all while seeming to wolf hunt.

But this game called for something much different. I was actually wolf hunting, I was trying to find my lost wolf. I WAS using 3P hunting to try to test and see who would react in a village, 3P, or wolfy manner. I was NOT faking that nor doing a bad job of it because of how accurate my reads ended up being for both lost wolf AND 3P scum.

As much as I will harp and tell you that scum is scum don't worry about telling the difference, the fact is that sometimes you actually can tell wolf from 3P. The point is more, sometimes you can't tell and you can't tell well, so don't worry about it if it's a distraction. Other times, you can tell, and if you can, good. Because often telling the difference may in fact matter.

Just another reason this game design was much more challenging. Because it absolutely forced me to alter my game. I did not push misyeets the same way because I was worried about it killing our lost wolf.

Anyway, this game made it harder to try to deep wolf, and bussing has limited utility because it won't clear you of being scum anyway.

And I'm trying to change up my play, to follow the advice that "your job as scum is not to imitate your village game."

It didn't exactly work, but we had the added challenge that so many players we killed to make village more friendly to ourselves and our mission just got added to another opposing faction. Zenge was obviously trying to get us out without leading the charge on thread - an excellent way to build up his VCA without being a voice we needed to silence by NK.

But a game with 3P is one where we really need to not use the term pro-village. Because being anti-wolf or anti-scum only might prove you are anti-wolf or anti-scum. It doesn't make you village.

Maybe my annoyance is with how loosely we seem to using this term for all sort of affiliations and for on-thread posting or PMing. Which as I said is an awful way alone to use term.

I see people using the term when really what they're labeling is a tone read. Which, like, tone reads as fine to use and I'm always touting post analysis, but if what you have is a tone read, then just call it that. Don't use "pro-village" so much.

The problem is that you literally are inviting to proven cognitive bias, where saying someone's name and "wolf" or "village" closely together enough, and it tends to get echoed, will cause anchoring.

Reactions: 1 user
See if you really wanted to convince people, you should fakeclaim out the ass until you get worn down by lying and then admit that it was a pro-village lie

(Mother will rage at this lol)
You can't fakeclaim if you believe your fakeclaim is a real claim

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users