Should I retake my MCAT? (3.85 GPA, 507 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe_eves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just received my MCAT scores today:
Chem/Phys: 128
CARS: 128
Bio/Biochem: 127
Psych/Soc.: 124 :(
Total: 507

I'm trying to decide if I should retake? I planned on applying to both MD and DO schools. That 124 in Psych/Soc looks pretty bad i.m.o. but I wanted to get some input. Would I receive my score too late into the cycle to make it worth it?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? Are you URM?
I live in PA; I am not URM. I have strong letters and good ECs, but I'm just not sold on a 507 getting me into an MD school... I'm thinking of retaking on June 29, getting my score back August 1st and rolling with it from there. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for some MD schools with your current score so I suggest applying to these:
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that may open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman etc.)

I got into a couple of MD schools with a 507. Definitely possible if the rest of your app is well put together and you apply to a good list.

Hey everyone,

I just received my MCAT scores today:
Chem/Phys: 128
CARS: 128
Bio/Biochem: 127
Psych/Soc.: 124 :(
Total: 507

I'm trying to decide if I should retake? I planned on applying to both MD and DO schools. That 124 in Psych/Soc looks pretty bad i.m.o. but I wanted to get some input. Would I receive my score too late into the cycle to make it worth it?
Thanks!

It's probably not possible to do a retake and apply this cycle. If you're cool with having a gap year, then you could just retake next spring and apply early for Fall 2019.

With that said, your MCAT is in range for the matriculants at PSU and Geisinger. So you've definitely got a shot.

A 507 is not a bad MCAT. A 507 will not be the reason someone doesn't get into Medical School.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Retaking is not a bad idea if you can show significant improvement, three points at a minimum and preferably five. Take some practice tests and review them carefully. If you are consistently breaking 512 on official AAMC tests, I'd go for a retake.