Students headed for KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwannabadoc

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start something for people going to KCOM this fall. I've exchanged e-mails with one or two of you already independently but I was curious who else out there is headed for Kirksville. Feel free to post whatever's on your mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm headed to KCOM this August as well. Currently I am residing with my parents in Dallas to save money before school starts and I can be reached at their email address which is [email protected]. I leave for Costa Rica, however, a week from Sunday for 2 months to take an intensive Spanish course. When I return, I hopefully will be meeting a friend of mine (whom I met at some interviews and is going to AZCOM) in Europe somewhere. He's going for 3 months. Anyway, it will be difficult to reach me but I would love to email fellow students when I can. I plan to go out to Kirksville in June to look for a place to live. Talk to you later,

Macey

Hi Macey. Hope you have fun on your travels. I don't know whether or not you can access your parents' account from anywhere but hotmail allows you access from any terminal with web access. Anyway, have fun and see you in the fall. I don't know what the orientation schedule is like but I think it would be fun to have a barbecue or something before that.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI,
I will be joining you at KCOM in August. I have already got a place to live and start paying on it in May so I will be in and out of Kirksville all summer. I don't plan on moving there for good until August vut I will spend time getting my place ready and putting my fence up during the summer etc.

Carrie

Hey KCOM-ers.

I am, as of now, going to Kirksville (very happily)in August. They have my deposit, but I am waiting to hear from COMP. Then who knows...

Anyway, I would love to meet up with any fellow future DOs travelling before school starts. I will finish out this spring working in Hollywood and then will go somewhere before school. Europe or South America are sounding good right now.

Anyone interested??

Hey people,
I am headed to Mizzu as well! Coming from the east coast. Emails are welcomed! Did anyone see the school apartments. Are they decent or should I look elsewhere (an apartment, or a house with a bunch of cronies would be phat!).

njdevil,
I did see the student housing when I was there and I will definitely be looking for another place to live. The student apartments are cheap and close to the campus but they are very small and pretty old (the main color is brown everywhere). Also, some students told me that the apartments have really thin walls. They do, however, have cable and access to the schools ethernet included in the rent ($300 a month I think). Living in Kirksville is cheap almost anywhere you look and nothing is very far from campus. I know many students who live in other towns because its super cheap and their commute is only 10 - 15 minutes. Besides, I need a place where I can retreat from the school to keep my sanity. It's really an individual choice but I would definitely look at the apartments before moving into one. Hope that helps.

Macey

Hi!
My name is really Duke and I will be going to KCOM as well this August. I am from California. I think that emailing each other is a really good idea. Right now I'm working full time at a microbiology lab in Orange, CA (close to Disneyland). It's a real drag to have to work and go to school knowing that in a few months there's going to be an insane amount of studying and work for years ahead... I think that it may be a good idea to chat on AOL or on the SGA (Student Government Association)of KCOM website. The web address is:http://www.osteopathicweb.com/kcom/.
They also have a post just like this one where they can answer your questions about school.. My email is [email protected] feel free to write me anytime..
Duke

Hi everyone,

I'm also heading off to KCOM for now. I'm still waiting on some texas schools, but there's a good chance I'll end up in KCOM. Is there a directory out there for apartments in Kirksville? The school dorms are really crappy. I hope the apartments in town aren't as bad. Hope to see everyone soon.

Doogie

As it stands I will begin at KCOM in august as well. I am currently on 4 other schools "wait to even interview" lists that few applicants names ever seem to make it off of. I am actually very excited about KCOM, especially after my visit there, but I have also applied to some of the schools near where I live in chicago. I am also very interested in finding out more on the housing situation other than the student housing on campus. For the most part, what I have seen appears to be very very inexpensive, especially compared to the huge rent I currently hand over monthly to my Villianous landlord

The Admissions Office does keep a list of housings availble. The packet is not available however until May. Local papers lists apartment availability all the time. Student housing is $375/mo and housing is rather inexpensive here in KV. ~$400 or less for a two bedroom (large old w/attic & basement or smaller newer), $500 for a 3bd 1.5ba w/ attached 1-car garage. Smaller 1-bed can be had for <$300.

I'm glad to see there's been so many responses. By the way, my name is Jon. I will probably start looking for an apartment in May after I finish classes. I probably won't move in till the end of July. Plan on visiting Paramount theme park in Ohio and a huge air show (for those that are interested) in Wisconsin. Carrie/Hskermdic, it sounds like you have a house? Am I correct? Does this mean you plan on staying in Kirksville for rotations? Hey Duke. I've been to KCOM's SGA threadnet and it was pretty helpful. In terms of doing a live chat thing on AOL, you'll have to teach me and everyone else. I tried downloading Netscape AOL messenger earlier but Netscape was down. I'll try again tomorrow. By the way, when are you planning to move? I'm in St. Louis at Washington University completeing a MHS in Healthcare Services. Njdevil. Mizzu stands for U. of Missouri. Sorry, just thought I'd be picky. A hockey fan I take it? Anyway, I hope everyone who's reponded so far keeps everyone else up to date. Next year's going to be fun.

Jon,
I am only renting the house I found. I was just luck to come across a place last October that I really liked and that will become available in August.

Carrie

I just downloaded Netscape's AOL messenger. My profile name is patchmup4 so if people want to chat, that's what it is.

Hmmmm...it would appear that you guys are as fired up as the group going to Kansas City. That's very cool!! I am still awaiting the fat envelope [interview request] for KCOM & Iowa...but I interview in KC a week from tomorrow! I am really hoping to go DO. The more I research DO vs MD, the more convinced I am that DO is the route for me.

Who knows, you guys, or the KC bunch, may be subjected to being an Old Man's classmate...actually, I'm only 32...but it's a nickname given to me by my 'better half'; and it stuck!

Best of luck and success to you all!!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

I spent the night before my interview at the Atlas house. I liked the group of people living there. Any comments..

$250 for one large room, two rooms together, some rooms have fire places, some have their own bathroom, big screen TV, pool table, &c.

Thanx.

Is the Atlas House the student housing that KCOM has or is it something else? Sounds almost like a typical dorm.

To justwannabeadoc,

The Atlas House actually belongs to the Atlas Club, a student organization on campus. The house is actually a landmark building over a hundred years old. I think the house belonged to A.T. Still's brother.I was fortunate to stay in the house overnight before my interview. The guys there are cool. The rent is cheap there, almost a hundred dollars less than the student housing.. However the down side is that you have to share with a couple of guys. Experience has taught me that living alone is better.. Just think of the mess. I have a roommate now and I can't stand it sometimes, he's such a slob. He's cool and all but the mess gets to me sometimes. (Ex. he has washed the dishes about six times since I've lived here. I've lived here for a year.)
Duke

Hey All...

I too will be heading for Kirksville. Currently, I'm cleaning up my masters (molec. genetics)at UMDNJ-Newark, after bailing out of the DMD/PhD program. Looking forward to real, live clinical medicine after 3 years of research in parasitology (ugh)!

I noticed everyone talking about living situations etcetera. Anyone planning on getting room mates, or are people in general going to limit the possibility of hassles by going solo. Just curious...

On my tour, we avoided student housing, and I got the impression that we might as well look off campus for places. Anyhoo...if anyone is interested in getting together to get a house, email me and we'll chat ([email protected]). take it easy

Phil

What is the deal with student apartments. They seem convenient. No searching and prefurnished. Anyone know???

From what I've heard, they are not that big, are a little old, and have thin walls. The thin walls bother me the most since I can be easily distracted by stereos, epople talking, etc... when I'm studying hard. You could probably find some place better. Oh, I've also been told that if you have a significant other, find an apartment.

Hello,
I didn't get a very good idea of what housing was like either when I was there. I will be attending next fall and I think that I probably won't go with the student housing based on what most of you have said. I did hear a rumor that you had a free network connection if you lived in the student housing. I also heard a rumor that there are no dial-up lines to the university, so you have to pay for a service provider if you live outside the student housing. I'm not sure about the truth to these statements, but I think there might be more info at the kcom-sga site.
One wife of a student did comment that they were renting a really nice house for somewhere between 4 and 5 hundred.