Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice ? Got an offer and accepted it, but received a better offer from my top choice . What now ?!

Take the offer from your top choice. Just email the first program and explain. They will understand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to STL. Great city. All the SDN amgen scholars should meet up this summer at the national conference!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely be able to speak about your career goals and past related experiences with fluency. So if you have research experience or if you've done stuff in pediatrics before, definitely be able to talk about those things in detail and how they might relate to why you want to do CRISSP. Also, my friend applied to CRISSP at CHOP and hasn't heard anything yet. When did you get your interview?

Thanks for your help! I was emailed to schedule the interview on 3/1, but I think it might vary depending on your potential mentor.

got accepted to Yale SURF through Leadership Alliance today :)

Reactions: 6 users
I realize that some summer research programs are better than others, but does participating in even just an average research program look decent on an app? I'm doing my program to help decide if I want to have a research career, but then I started wondering how many pre-meds actually do these programs. Not many from my school do.

Reactions: 3 users
I realize that some summer research programs are better than others, but does participating in even just an average research program look decent on an app? I'm doing my program to help decide if I want to have a research career, but then I started wondering how many pre-meds actually do these programs. Not many from my school do.
Yes. Any research whether it's at your home institution, a tiny college in the middle of nowhere, or Harvard will improve your resume. Many of my friends who have gone through med school interviews said that the majority of what the interviewers wanted to talk about was the research they had done. Research enables you to approach medical problems from different avenues as well as traverse the disconnect between doctor and lab techs, as well as improve your ability to stay up to date on innovative technology and novel therapies by advancing your critical thinking skills which is why medical schools love to see research on applications. Also, the majority of doctors at medical schools are physician-scientists, regardless if they have an MD-PhD so that's another aspect to why it is good preparation.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to UNC Chapel Hill SOLAR program.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received rejections from USCF AMGEN/SRTP? I saw some people on here got acceptances but I haven't heard back either way

I have received acceptances from GSK SURP and the UPenn Nanotechnology REU! Just wondering if anyone had participated in these programs before and have any advice to share? I'm having a hard time choosing between them.

I have received acceptances from GSK SURP and the UPenn Nanotechnology REU! Just wondering if anyone had participated in these programs before and have any advice to share? I'm having a hard time choosing between them.
Are you talking about the Singh program at UPenn? I didn't think they would be sending decisions for a while.

Accepted
CSNE REU at MIT - rn3x (2/15)
Rockefeller SURF - sciencenerd14 (2/17)
NIH SIP - kitts95 (sometime between 1/30 and 2/4), ho04pe (2/16)
Vanderbilt SMRP - kitts95 (2/6)
Brigham Women's STARS - Chromium Surfer ( 2/22)
Michigan State SROP - AutoclaveGuru ( 2/13)
Iowa SUMR - Microbug (2/23)
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program (HIP) - Beyonce2.0 (2/24)
Harvard SCTRP- Chromium Surfer ( 2/24)
HMS-DBMI/HST Summer Institute in Biomedical Informatics - bluelamin (2/24)
UT Southwestern SURF (2/24)
UNC SURE-REU- ho04pe (2/25)
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE (2/27)
UMichigan SROP - 135pipe (2/27)
Danforth Center,Wash U - AutoclaveGuru (2/27)
Einstein College of Medicine - sciencenerd14 (3/1)
MIT Amgen - SonhosDaVida (3/1)
UCSF SRTP - Silverwind278 (3/1)
Broad Institute - rn3x (3/2)
Boston College REU - rn3x (3/1)
Harvard Amgen - (3/2) - easton 11, Beyonce 2.0
UC Berkeley Amgen (3/2) - sciencenerd14
Columbia Amgen (3/3) - sciencenerd14
EBICS MIT (3/3)- fuga_city
WashU in St. Louis Amgen (3/7)-BTJ95

Preliminary Offer/Interview

Columbia Amgen - sciencenerd14 (2/14), fuga_city (2/14); official transcript requested (3/1)

Rejected:

MIT Amgen - fuga_city, sciencenerd14, rn3x (3/1)
Gerstner Sloan Kettering - sciencenerd14, rn3x (3/1)
Johns Hopkins SIP - rn3x (3/1), Carmiche (3/1)
Johns Hopkins INBT - rn3x (2/27)
Uof ChicagoREU- AutoclaveGuru(2/21)
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies- AutoclaveGuru(3/1)
UCB Amgen- fuga_city (3/3), rn3x (3/7)
USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)

Waiting
MIT MSRP
Duke SROP
DeBakey Summer Surgery Program
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
McGovern Medical School (UT-Houston) SURP
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UMich Health Policy and Management
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
UCSF SIP
Unicersity Nebraska Medical Center
University Nebraska Lincoln SRP
University of Minnesota LSSURP
Cincinnati Children's SURF
Mount Sinai International Exchange
Boston U Stars
U of W EHREP
LA Dartmouth
LA Cornell
LA UPenn
Cold Springs Harbor
Boyce Institute- Cornell
University of Buffalo Climb Up
Broad Institute SRP
Columbia SPHSP

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 17 programs this year. So I had a defined list in November and had 4 letter writers. Sent each their own separate template with program name , how to submit letter and due dates. Sent that to them first week of December and a week before deadlines sent a quick email reminder. I know my PIs were busy but it's forming that relationship with them before that really gives them the initiative to complete them for you.
My school has an office that sends out rec letters for people applying to these programs, so the teachers just send the letters to the office, which sends these out in batches. It's like Naviance for UG rec letters back in high school.

Are you talking about the Singh program at UPenn? I didn't think they would be sending decisions for a while.

Yup! They gave me an offer last week but I need to reply by early next week, since that's when they said they were going to send out offers to waitlisted applicants.

Accepted
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
WashU in St. Louis Amgen (3/7)-BTJ95

Columbia Amgen - sciencenerd14 (2/14), fuga_city (2/14); official transcript requested (3/1)

Rejected:

USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)
Colorado State REU- friend (3/3)
Ohio State SROP- friend (2/27)

Waiting
MIT MSRP
Duke SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
UCSF SIP
Boston U Stars
U of W EHREP
LA Dartmouth
LA Cornell
LA UPenn
Cold Springs Harbor
Boyce Institute- Cornell
Broad Institute SRP
Columbia SPHSP
UCSD STARS
UCSD MSTP
Princeton Neuroscience Internship

Any tips on how to reject an offer politely?

Any tips on how to reject an offer politely?
"We regret to inform you that wafet96 will not be able to accept your offer of admission. Please understand that the competition for wafet's talents, charm, and good looks is fierce and only a limited number of programs and activities can be accepted at a particular time.

Please understand that we do not wish this to be any negative indication about the quality of your offer of acceptance, although you could have given wafet more money.

Thank you and we encourage you to try again next year"

Reactions: 17 users
"We regret to inform you that wafet96 will not be able to accept your offer of admission. Please understand that the competition for wafet's talents, charm, and good looks is fierce and only a limited number of programs and activities can be accepted at a particular time.

Please understand that we do not wish this to be any negative indication about the quality of your offer of acceptance, although you could have given wafet more money.

Haha thank you :laugh:

My school has an office that sends out rec letters for people applying to these programs, so the teachers just send the letters to the office, which sends these out in batches. It's like Naviance for UG rec letters back in high school.
Only thing is all of my letters are from PIS from my other internships so there's always the emailing war back and forth

this is AMAZING. LOL

Lol omg. They wouldn't even know how to respond to this.

I still haven't heard anything for SRTP!

Say you get an acceptance from the UCSF SRTP, would you choose it over UCB Amgen? Just curious haha

Say you get an acceptance from the UCSF SRTP, would you choose it over UCB Amgen? Just curious haha
After doing ucsf Amgen and meeting ucb Amgen crew, I say... nope
Would be a different story if u can choose Pi's but they kind of assign it to you...

With all of these impressive pre-meds going to great undergraduate research programs, this site reminds me of College Confidential a little bit back in the day.

Reactions: 1 users
With all of these impressive pre-meds going to great undergraduate research programs, this site reminds me of College Confidential a little bit back in the day.
This whole site is like College Confidential except instead of parents who know what they're talking about we have a few adcoms who know what they're talking about.

Personally I frown upon pre-MD only who would apply to these programs (that specifically say that they want to support PhD or MD/PhD students)... just so they can have it on their resume for med school...

After doing ucsf Amgen and meeting ucb Amgen crew, I say... nope
Would be a different story if u can choose Pi's but they kind of assign it to you...

Would you mind elaborating? Is the UCB Amgen crew just more awesome than the UCSF people?

Last edited:
Would you mind elaborating? Is the UCB Amgen crew just more awesome than the UCSF people?
I'm probably biased here since I spend 2 months with the ucsf crew vs 2 days with ucb at the Amgen conference. Personality wise I just prefer the ucsf crew, nice supportive chill people who excited for science (work hard and play hard). personally, I found the ucb crew a little weird and a little too competitive...

Oh! I thought you were saying that the UCB crew was cooler. I'll be heading to the UCSF SRTP this summer over UCB so I'm excited to hear this. Any tips for how to make the most of my time at UCSF? :)
Congrats!!! Get to know your peers and keep in touch, chances are you'll meet again and could potentially collaborate in the future. And they're just amazing kind people, the admission committee does a great job of collecting such a crew :) work hard and explore the city!

Just wanted to post my experience so far. Applied to 16 . Accepted to 1. rejected by 6 so far. All the ones that are blank I haven't received a response yet. Have any of you heard back from the ones I left blank? Btw the one I was accepted to was at my home institution.

Applied to:
Notre dame bio reu: rejected
John hopkins Bio REU:
UC Berkeley amgen: rejected
Rice bionetworks reu:
umich aspet:
Uwash amgen:
colorado state bio reu: rejected
northeastern: rejected
pepperdine:
VSSA:
CNSE: rejected
oregon bio reu:
Amgen columbia:
Uconn neuro reu:
UNC sure:
Cornell MBG: rejected

Just wanted to post my experience so far. Applied to 16 . Accepted to 1. rejected by 6 so far. All the ones that are blank I haven't received a response yet. Have any of you heard back from the ones I left blank? Btw the one I was accepted to was at my home institution.

Applied to:
John hopkins Bio REU:
Rice bionetworks reu:
umich aspet:
Uwash amgen:
pepperdine:
VSSA:
oregon bio reu:
Amgen columbia:
Uconn neuro reu:
UNC sure:

A fellow UND and CSU REU reject! I think those are the only two we shared on our list, though. Seems like most of the stuff here has been SURP and Amgen but I guess they had earlier deadlines so maybe it will start to shift.

A fellow UND and CSU REU reject! I think those are the only two we shared on our list, though. Seems like most of the stuff here has been SURP and Amgen but I guess they had earlier deadlines so maybe it will start to shift.
ha Apparently there was a lot of us! After all of these rejections i'm left wishing I hadn't applied to so many nsf reus. Being a white guy from a research university definitely hasn't helped on a lot of those applications:(

Personally I frown upon pre-MD only who would apply to these programs (that specifically say that they want to support PhD or MD/PhD students)... just so they can have it on their resume for med school...

But you also have to remember quite a few MDs conduct research so why not give them an opportunity, they might even decide to switch to PhD

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
DAAD RiSE (3/8)- SonhosDaVida

Rejected:

USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)

Waiting
MIT MSRP
Duke SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU in St. Louis (Amgen) (should be out by 3/13)
UCSF SIP
Boston U Stars
U of W EHREP
LA Dartmouth
LA Cornell
LA UPenn
Cold Springs Harbor
Boyce Institute- Cornell
Broad Institute SRP
Columbia SPHSP

Applied to:
John hopkins Bio REU:
Rice bionetworks reu:
umich aspet:
Uwash amgen:
pepperdine:
VSSA:
oregon bio reu:
Amgen columbia:
Uconn neuro reu:
UNC sure:

UNC has me waitlisted and they've sent the majority of first round acceptances

Accepted
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
UC Berkeley Amgen (3/2) - sciencenerd14, Silverwind278
Mayo SURF (3/3) - Silverwind278

Rejected:

Stanford Amgen - Silverwind278
USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)

Waiting
MIT MSRP
Duke SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
UCSF SIP
Boston U Stars
U of W EHREP
LA Dartmouth
LA Cornell
LA UPenn
Cold Springs Harbor
Boyce Institute- Cornell
Broad Institute SRP
Columbia SPHSP

Not sure! I don't know much about UCB Amgen, but I think you should definitely consider the type of research you will be doing and what will benefit your academic and professional careers the most! Good luck!

But you also have to remember quite a few MDs conduct research so why not give them an opportunity, they might even decide to switch to PhD
Then they can apply to programs that support MD students too... I know people who are dishonest on their application just to get in...

Columbia just sent out interview notifications for the CDC program

Really starting to question how I got into two MIT programs with all these rejections :laugh:

These programs are honestly so random. All that matters is that you get that one acceptance, and you have two to an awesome school!

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected by UCSF STRP late last night.

Accepted
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
WashU LA (3/3)- wafet96

UW-Madison REU (3/8)- wafet96

Rejected:

USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)
UCSF Amgen/SRTP - rn3x (3/9)

Waiting
MIT MSRP
Duke SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
UCSF SIP
Boston U Stars
U of W EHREP
LA Dartmouth
LA Cornell
LA UPenn
Cold Springs Harbor
Boyce Institute- Cornell
Broad Institute SRP
Columbia SPHSP

Accepted
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
UCSF SRTP - Silverwind278, SonhosDaVida (3/1)
WashU LA (3/3)- wafet96

UW-Madison REU (3/8)- wafet96

Rejected:

USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)
UCSF Amgen/SRTP - rn3x (3/9)

Waiting
MIT MSRP
Duke SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
UCSF SIP
Boston U Stars
U of W EHREP
LA Dartmouth
LA Cornell
LA UPenn
Cold Springs Harbor