Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to WashU Amgen! (I'll be declining because I'll be going to UCB Amgen)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted by WashU

Reactions: 2 users
I work in a VTCRI neuro lab now! Whose lab will you be in?

That's awesome! I believe I will be working for the Fox lab as he emailed me with the acceptance and he was my first choice. But, I could also be in Valdez's or Sontheimer's since they were my back-ups.

Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome! I believe I will be working for the Fox lab as he emailed me with the acceptance and he was my first choice. But, I could also be in Valdez's or Sontheimer's since they were my back-ups.
Cool! Fox might have email you just because he's in charge of the program, but all great choices! Dr. Sontheimer is pretty amazing, from a totally unbiased POV (I had a class with him and I work with his lab). ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me an email that a decision update had been made to my page in the application portal so I found it there.
Thanks! That means I didn't get in (at least in the first round). Oh well. Do you think you'll accept?

Anyone know how to word an email if you have an acceptance in hand but need to hear back from other schools before the deadline?

Summer research applications tend to be more competitive than grad apps, so not necessarily.

Rejections might mean that there is an underlying issue that should be fixed though.[/
Don't post here often, but as anyone heard from IOWA SUMR? Particularly those who were waitlisted?
I got waitlisted and haven't heard back yet (last friday was the deadline for 1st wave acceptances to accept/decline).
i got accepted and I'm waiting for WashU BioMedRAP. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'm taking the Iowa offer

Thanks! That means I didn't get in (at least in the first round). Oh well. Do you think you'll accept?
No, I just sent in my declination so hopefully you're next on the list! I'm headed to Berkeley for the summer. :)

Anyone know how to word an email if you have an acceptance in hand but need to hear back from other schools before the deadline?

No experience but I think something like:

Dear [Program] Admissions Committee/[Dr. Director of internship program]

I applied for an internship in the 2017 [program name] at [institution's name]. I recently received an internship offer from a similar program and must respond by [date]. Although [program name] is a top choice for me, and I would like to attend if accepted, I only have a short window of time before I must commit to a program. Do you have a tentative date for sending out internship offers and denials?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

FutureDoctor06

Reactions: 1 users
How frowned-upon is it to accept an offer, then decline it a week later? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this successfully/unsuccessfully? I'm in a bit of a pickle with 11 minutes until I have to accept or decline a program and I have 15 programs to hear back from. I've emailed a few programs that I hadn't heard anything from, but only got responses to about a third of my emails. Thoughts?

How frowned-upon is it to accept an offer, then decline it a week later? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this successfully/unsuccessfully? I'm in a bit of a pickle with 11 minutes until I have to accept or decline a program and I have 15 programs to hear back from. I've emailed a few programs that I hadn't heard anything from, but only got responses to about a third of my emails. Thoughts?

No idea, but I would take it. If you get in somewhere else, work out whether it's acceptable to withdraw from the first one. It might be disappointing to commit somewhere and then get into a program you'd prefer (but can't attend), but it would be really frustrating to turn down one offer and end up empty-handed.

Cool! Fox might have email you just because he's in charge of the program, but all great choices! Dr. Sontheimer is pretty amazing, from a totally unbiased POV (I had a class with him and I work with his lab). ;)

Right, I was thinking that was also a potential reason he emailed me haha! Oh that's awesome! Do you know how many applicants applied to the program? Couldn't find the stats anywhere! haha

Which NYU program? Did they email you with the date?

I called NYU Sackler today and on the phone the lady told me March 15th but this was not the program coordinator herself so may be she was wrong i'm not sure. Someone should email the program coordinator.. I would but I feel awkward since I just called

No idea, but I would take it. If you get in somewhere else, work out whether it's acceptable to withdraw from the first one. It might be disappointing to commit somewhere and then get into a program you'd prefer (but can't attend), but it would be really frustrating to turn down one offer and end up empty-handed.
I've done it already this year and did it last year as well. They've been really nice about it.

Columbia emailed me:

"Thank you for writing the Office of Academic Diversity. We are currently in the process of reviewing all applications to the Summer Research Program. Hopefully, I will be able to notify you of your application status by Friday, March 10."

Anyone on here ever do Wash U's Amgen program? How was it? I want a program that incorporates lots of workshops for students to prepare them for MD/PhDs, and based on the websites it seems they do more of this than Mayo.

Has anyone received an offer from Weill Cornell Travelers program?

Congratulations to everyone that has heard good news so far!! And good luck to those waiting

Just wanted to ask, does anyone have any interview advice? I have an interview for the CRISSP program at CHOP next week.

Congratulations to everyone that has heard good news so far!! And good luck to those waiting

Just wanted to ask, does anyone have any interview advice? I have an interview for the CRISSP program at CHOP next week.

Definitely be able to speak about your career goals and past related experiences with fluency. So if you have research experience or if you've done stuff in pediatrics before, definitely be able to talk about those things in detail and how they might relate to why you want to do CRISSP. Also, my friend applied to CRISSP at CHOP and hasn't heard anything yet. When did you get your interview?

Last edited:
No experience but I think something like:

Dear [Program] Admissions Committee/[Dr. Director of internship program]

I applied for an internship in the 2017 [program name] at [institution's name]. I recently received an internship offer from a similar program and must respond by [date]. Although [program name] is a top choice for me, and I would like to attend if accepted, I only have a short window of time before I must commit to a program. Do you have a tentative date for sending out internship offers and denials?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

FutureDoctor06
Thanks for the help! Exactly what I was looking for.

Rejected by 4/11 so far. I'll probably end up doing research at my home school, which is Hopkins so that's not bad, but I wanted money and to go somewhere else. Baltimore is boring. Don't come to Hopkins.
What do you find boring about Hopkins and/or Baltimore? I ask as I'm planning on transferring after this semester, and Hopkins is one of the schools I applied to.

Some of these programs will get back to you in Early April! So don't lose hope :) I know there was a program I applied to last year that placed me on the WL until Mid April and told me I was accepted. Unfortunately, by then I already accepted another internship and thus did not attend the program. These are amazing experiences. One acceptance is very good. Don't lose faith and keep fighting! We are the future of science and medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
did you already interview or receive notification of an interview?
No interview. If those are happening already I guess it's not a good sign. How many people do you tihnk they interview? I like your username, did you apply?

No interview. If those are happening already I guess it's not a good sign. How many people do you tihnk they interview? I like your username, did you apply?

Interviews started last week. I'm not sure how many interview, can you give them a call and ask?

Has anyone heard back from, or contacted Stanford? They are the only school I would choose over my current acceptances that I have to take by the end of the day Friday.

Has anyone heard back from, or contacted Stanford? They are the only school I would choose over my current acceptances that I have to take by the end of the day Friday.

If you haven't received a rejection from Stanford Amgen that's a really good sign. But also it's getting close to the wire. They started sending out acceptances last Friday then again this week. I would say be patient.

Which WUSTL program did u get into? Thanks

Thanks for the positive vibe
If you haven't received a rejection from Stanford Amgen that's a really good sign. But also it's getting close to the wire. They started sending out acceptances last Friday then again this week. I would say be patient.
Thanks for the positive vibes!

Just got accepted to UW Madison REU!!

Reactions: 6 users
For anybody who applied to UCLA's BRI-SURE program, they sent out an email on Monday saying that they would be done reviewing applications by the end of next week (so, March 17th at the latest)!

Any advice ? Got an offer and accepted it, but received a better offer from my top choice . What now ?!