Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CHILL

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a good time to revive this? First time applying to one of these programs and I'm quite overwhelmed :S

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a good time to revive this? First time applying to one of these programs and I'm quite overwhelmed :S

Good luck. I was at UCSF last summer but also got an offer from Mayo. In general, these programs are a hit or miss. Make sure to apply to as many as you can.

Good luck. I was at UCSF last summer but also got an offer from Mayo. In general, these programs are a hit or miss. Make sure to apply to as many as you can.
Do you think it's a good idea to apply to these programs if I'm an ORM?

How good are these programs vs continuing research at UG school thru summer and get a paper?

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to these programs if I'm an ORM?

UCSF had quite a bit of ORMs. In fact, my roommate and my myself were both ORMs. I can't necessarily speak for other schools. There are some schools that tend to be geared towards URMs (Stanford Amgen, Columbia Amgen). I would apply to as many programs as possible. Most applications are pretty short.

How good are these programs vs continuing research at UG school thru summer and get a paper?

If you don't feel you have done enough in your home institution's lab to warrant a paper, then I recommend staying at your home institution over the summer. This isn't only to increase your chances of being on a paper, but also to increase your chances of having a better letter of recommendation for grad school, med school, etc.

See if your home institution has a summer research program. Perhaps then you would get the best of both worlds.

If you don't feel you have done enough in your home institution's lab to warrant a paper, then I recommend staying at your home institution over the summer. This isn't only to increase your chances of being on a paper, but also to increase your chances of having a better letter of recommendation for grad school, med school, etc.

See if your home institution has a summer research program. Perhaps then you would get the best of both worlds.

My son has started research in freshman year (current sophomore) and during summer was part of summer research program and should be writing paper soon and he will be continuing in the same lab thru next summer. I am just curious about the value of going for summer programs at different schools vs continuing at their own UG school.

My son has started research in freshman year (current sophomore) and during summer was part of summer research program and should be writing paper soon and he will be continuing in the same lab thru next summer. I am just curious about the value of going for summer programs at different schools vs continuing at their own UG school.

For myself, the main benefits of attending a summer research program were the following
1. Additional research experience.
2. An additional letter of recommendation for post-graduate school
3. The "name" of the program. Attending a URP at the institution that you want to do your graduate/medical education at may potentially (but not significantly) help during application time.

Publications are unlikely from these programs but are heard of.

In short, I recommend that sophomores stay at their home institution and develop a strong relationship with their PI. My home institution PI was the MSTP director and stated that a strong letter of recommendation and continuous experience in one lab is significantly worth more than multiple short term experiences when it comes to application time. Also, many of these programs are geared towards students who aren't able to obtain a quality research experience at their home institution (perhaps they don't attend a research based institution). If you don't feel that you are getting a quality experience at your home institution, I would recommend a summer research program.

For myself, the main benefits of attending a summer research program were the following
1. Additional research experience.
2. An additional letter of recommendation for post-graduate school
3. The "name" of the program. Attending a URP at the institution that you want to do your graduate/medical education at may potentially (but not significantly) help during application time.

Publications are unlikely from these programs but are heard of.

In short, I recommend that sophomores stay at their home institution and develop a strong relationship with their PI. My home institution PI was the MSTP director and stated that a strong letter of recommendation and continuous experience in one lab is significantly worth more than multiple short term experiences when it comes to application time. Also, many of these programs are geared towards students who aren't able to obtain a quality research experience at their home institution (perhaps they don't attend a research based institution). If you don't feel that you are getting a quality experience at your home institution, I would recommend a summer research program.

I also thought it's geared towards those who didn't get good research opportunity at their home institution. My son is having a great experience at his top 20 school and his PI is sending him to an exchange program abroad. He is wondering if he should try to find a program at one of the schools he is aiming for (like UCSF) during summer after junior year or spend that time for applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also thought it's geared towards those who didn't get good research opportunity at their home institution. My son is having a great experience at his top 20 school and his PI is sending him to an exchange program abroad. He is wondering if he should try to find a program at one of the schools he is aiming for (like UCSF) during summer after junior year or spend that time for applications.
Personally, with the recent traffic rule changes, i feel like doing research and spending time at an institution for a few months might play a larger - if still minor - factor. Anyone else have thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G925T using SDN mobile

Another question: Most of these programs require two letters of recommendations and I only have one strong LOR from my PI.
I wasn't really planning to apply to these summer programs until about two weeks ago - so I didn't make the effort to get to know any of my prereq professors.

Do you think I still have a shot if I have one really strong LOR and one generic LOR?

Another question: Most of these programs require two letters of recommendations and I only have one strong LOR from my PI.
I wasn't really planning to apply to these summer programs until about two weeks ago - so I didn't make the effort to get to know any of my prereq professors.

Do you think I still have a shot if I have one really strong LOR and one generic LOR?
Obviously, having two stellar LOR is better than one. But you're only going to have no shot if you don't apply. I know from experience that as long as the rest of your app is strong, one mediocre letter out of two won't sink your app

Sent from my SM-G925T using SDN mobile

Get a letter from the post-doc or grad student you work with. Say that you will write the skeleton of the letter and that they can fill in the rest. They will most likely agree

Can you clarify what you mean about "the recent traffic rule changes"?

https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...medical-school-admissions-will-change-in-2019

https://students-residents.aamc.org...lication-and-acceptance-protocols-applicants/

As srk2021 mentioned in a nutshell, med schools can no longer share acceptance lists. AAMC will no longer send medical schools a multiple acceptance report. Come April 30th, 2019 and onwards, students can indicate "plan to enroll" in lieu of committing such that they can stay on waitlists/alternates. As you can imagine, this has several implications.

The most pressing of which is that hypothetically, without any checks in place, a student can essentially get accepted last minute and enroll while ditching another medical school. For some medical school class sizes, the impact won't be that large (although it'd still be bad in taste). But for MD-PhD programs, where class sizes can be as small as 4, this can produce noticeable fallout.

So ergo, that's why I'm saying these summer programs might actually have more of an impact, albeit still small. Because it in theory gives adcoms a better indication that you're more likely to attend having actually visited the campus, worked on the campus, lived on campus, etc. Of course, having talked to many different adcoms members, they're still a bit unsure how this will all play out. But definitely, for some schools based on released numbers so far, some have accepted far less at this point in time than before. And rumors floating around are that more people will be placed on waitlists and that the waitlists will be more utilized.

Yooo we're back. Anyone know how competitive the Harvard Undergraduate Internship for Systems Biology is? Sabeti is listed as a mentor...

I absolutely cannot wait to write 15 short essays over christmas ;p
Anyone else on the same boat?

Does anyone know if the programs ask for another copy of transcripts including Spring 2019 if you are admitted?

Does anyone know if the programs ask for another copy of transcripts including Spring 2019 if you are admitted?
when I applied years ago they did not

I'm guessing that I should still send an update that I dropped a gen ed that appears on my transcript for Spring though?

@puahate

I'm guessing that I should still send an update that I dropped a gen ed that appears on my transcript for Spring though?

@puahate
Would not worry about it

Cool! I'm only doing Mayo, MCW, UChicago, UPenn, and UVa

Not applying to nearly as many as last year (junior year has been a roller coaster). Just Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy, NIH Amgen, UT Southwestern, and Johns Hopkins SIP.

I Applied to Mayo SURF Neuroscience program. I got in and attended last summer and got asked to come back.

When did they notify you this year?
They haven't officially notified me, yet. My PI asked me to come back so I had to reapply to due to the nature of how admissions into the program work. Last year I found out on Feb. 19th, so I expect to receive a notification around that time.

Just got accepted to PSU SURIP! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from any other programs yet?? It's mid-february, so I'm guessing a few programs are releasing soon or have done so already

I just got rejected from University of Vermont SNURF a couple minutes ago

Only have recieved an update from Weill Gateways to the Lab, silence from other places i applied

Okay here we go—copy and paste to add

WAITING—
boston university
UT houston
emory university
university of pennsylvania
university of virginia
university of michigan
drexel university
university of piittsburg
northwest university
wash u
NYU

ACCEPTED—
penn state university (2/14)

WAITING—
boston university
UT houston
emory university
university of virginia
university of michigan
drexel university
university of piittsburg
northwest university
wash u
NYU
Leadership Alliance (Harvard DMS, JHU, UChicago)
UWashington/NIH NSSSP
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Michigan SMART (finalist/offered phone interview)
Michigan NURO
Fred Hutch SURP
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Rutgers Molec/Dev Neurobiology SURP
URochester/Strong Children's Research Center SP
Mayo CRISP
Mayo SURF

ACCEPTED—
Missouri NSF Neuroscience REU (1/23)
Iowa SUMR (2/1)
BWH STARS (2/13)

WAITING—
boston university
UT houston
emory university
university of virginia
university of michigan
drexel university
university of piittsburg
northwest university
wash u
NYU
UWashington/NIH NSSSP
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Michigan NURO
Fred Hutch SURP
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Mayo CRISP
Mayo SURF
NUTORC
Weill Cornell ACCESS
UCSF SURP
HSCI
HSRPKM
Gateways to the Laboratory Weill
Brown University (Leadership Alliance)
University of Virginia (Leadership Alliance)

ACCEPTED—
Missouri NSF Neuroscience REU (1/23)
Iowa SUMR (2/1)
BWH STARS (2/13)

I got accepted to Northeastern for their Biology REU this afternoon.

Waiting to hear back from 7 Amgen programs. Only applied to those because they're the only ones I think would be worth leaving research at home for

Cleaned up the list a bit

*****ACCEPTED******
PSU SURIP(2/14, yeeeeet)
Missouri NSF Neuroscience REU (1/23, rcotter)
Iowa SUMR (2/1, rcotter)
BWH STARS (2/13, rcotter)
Northeastern Bio REU (2,14 rararara1099)

*****WAITING******
Boston University
UT Houston
Emory University
UPenn
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Drexel University
University of Pittsburg
Northwestern University
Washington University in St. Louis
NYU
UWashington/NIH NSSSP
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Michigan NURO
Fred Hutch SURP
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Mayo CRISP
Mayo SURF
NUTORC
Weill Cornell ACCESS
UCSF SURP
HSCI
HSRPKM
Gateways to the Laboratory Cornell Weill

*****REJECTED******

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
*****ACCEPTED******
PSU SURIP(2/14, yeeeeet)
Iowa SUMR (2/1, rcotter)

*****WAITING******
Boston University
UT Houston
Emory University
UPenn
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Drexel University
University of Pittsburg
Northwestern University
NYU
UWashington/NIH NSSSP
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Michigan NURO
Fred Hutch SURP
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Mayo CRISP
Mayo SURF
NUTORC
Weill Cornell ACCESS
UCSF SURP
HSCI
HSRPKM
UTokyo Amgen
Johns Hopkins Biomed SIP
UT Southwestern Amgen
UC Berkely Amgen
Yale Amgen
Vanderbilt MSTP
Upstate SURF
Icahn SoM SURP
UNMC MD/Ph.D. SUF

*****REJECTED******

*****ACCEPTED******
PSU SURIP(2/14, yeeeeet)
Iowa SUMR (2/1, rcotter)
Johns Hopkins SIP (2/18, taduke21)

*****WAITING******
Boston University
UT Houston
Emory University
UPenn
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Drexel University
University of Pittsburg
Northwestern University
NYU
UWashington/NIH NSSSP
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Michigan NURO
Fred Hutch SURP
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Mayo CRISP
Mayo SURF
NUTORC
Weill Cornell ACCESS
UCSF SURP
HSCI
HSRPKM
UTokyo Amgen
Johns Hopkins Biomed SIP
UT Southwestern Amgen
UC Berkely Amgen
Yale Amgen
Vanderbilt MSTP
Upstate SURF
Icahn SoM SURP
UNMC MD/Ph.D. SUF