This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know application season is over but I'm looking forward to the future! What do you think my chances would be at applying to Health Policy and Management programs, specifically Mailman , NYU Wagner, and Heinz?

3.5 cumulative GPA, 3.6 major GPA, Biological Sciences B.S from U of 2011 Men's Basketball champions (Kemba!)

I've taken classes in public health, and I'm going to take a year off to work before I apply. I'm not looking to go to medical school, but to emerge from a HP&M program with great job prospects. Which would be the best fit for me, in terms of my stats and job prospects? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

@claritaosita: your undergraduate major won't be a hindrance in your application. Many people (myself included) applied from non-science/health backgrounds and were still able to be admitted to our top choices. You'll find quite a few applicants have Peace Corps backgrounds, and some schools have great representation (e.g. Emory). Your GPA/GRE aren't red flags, and your work experience seems very interesting. Crafting that strong statement of purpose for why you want to do public health given your background looks like the only thing that you'll have to work on. Chin up! IMO you come off as a competitive applicant.

Oh, phew! Thank you :)

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I'm applying for MPH programs in 2013, most of them for MPH Nutrition. I have a 3.2 GPA in a good undergrad program, a 160 Verbal/159 Quant GRE score, over 2 years work experience in a research lab, and good extra curricular activities. Besides my low GPA, I think my credentials are pretty good.

My question is, would it be wise for me to apply to mostly top 10 schools of public health (except 1 or 2)? From what I understand, the acceptance rate of most SPH is around 50%, so I'm thinking that one of my top choices has to want me!

I'm planning to apply to (in order of preference):

Berkeley
Washington
Columbia
UNC Chapel Hill
Emory
Colorado
Michigan
Drexel
Minnesota

I'd like to eliminate Drexel and Minnesota from the list, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm applying for MPH programs in 2013, most of them for MPH Nutrition. I have a 3.2 GPA in a good undergrad program, a 160 Verbal/159 Quant GRE score, over 2 years work experience in a research lab, and good extra curricular activities. Besides my low GPA, I think my credentials are pretty good.

My question is, would it be wise for me to apply to mostly top 10 schools of public health (except 1 or 2)? From what I understand, the acceptance rate of most SPH is around 50%, so I'm thinking that one of my top choices has to want me!

Berkeley
Washington
Columbia
UNC Chapel Hill
Emory
Colorado
Michigan
Drexel
Minnesota

I'd like to eliminate Drexel and Minnesota from the list, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

I got into 4 of those schools on your list and my stats were well below yours. :D

I got into 4 of those schools on your list and my stats were well below yours. :D

Ok cool. Thanks for the reply!

I'd love love love to get into Berkeley or Washington, but there is something very appealing about Colorado. I love the landscape there and it would be exciting to enter a promising new SPH. Can't wait to apply!!

For some back story: I've always been really interested in medical anthropology. As an undergraduate, my specialty was on primatology. I got accepted to a graduate program for primatology and museum studies this year, but I'm not sure I'm going to take it (personal reasons, but also because it'll be damn near impossible to get a job that pays the bills after I graduate).

However, it is my dream to study zoonotic diseases and epidemics and the patterns in which diseaes in animals jump over and infect humans. So, instead of sticking with the primate side, I'm thinking of retooling and doing epidemiology, environmental health, or behavioral sciences where I might be able to get a job in public health. I've done some looking into the life style, and I always really enjoyed the research part of primatology.

I've never taken a chemistry class in my life and I have yet to take an official statistics class. I'm not very talented in math, so I'm thinking of leaning more towards the behavioral sciences side of public health. I'm also thinking about trying to do a statistics course either this summer or upcoming fall to make up for that deficit. My GRE scores were low, but I had a 630 verbal (91%), 500 quant (27%), and 5.0 analytical (84%). I'm probably going to retake it again, and do what I can to boost my quant score. My undergrad GPA was a 3.1, but I had some circumstances behind two semesters of mediocre grades. Almost all of my semesters in college were above a 3.1 otherwise.

I figured I should add this for what it's worth: I've taken a few relevant-ish to public health courses (Medical Anthropology, Diseases in Wildlife, Cultural Health of Africa, Principles of Biological Anthropology, Intro to Environmental Health, and HIV: Sex, Society and Science) and did pretty well in them, so it's not like this is coming out of left field entirely. Not to mention, for my school's first Dance Marathon, I was the Hospital Relations Co-chair, so something else useful, perhaps.

While I've got really good research experience for primates (two field research experiences including one international and one domestic. But things more relevant to public health: including a stint in a neuropsych lab and working for a wildlife health center--which I don't think will help me out that much, but figure it's worth mentioning just in case), I'm not sure how to go about getting valuable experience in this field with where I'm currently located. And because I am paying off student loan bills, it's not like I can jump around anywhere I want easily. So, I'm going to see if I can get a volunteer position at Planned Parenthood (I also really enjoy women's health issues) or maybe at a local hospital. Would either of these be helpful?

Admittedly, this is in the nascent stage of planning, but I'd just like to know what are things that make for a strong candidate for public health graduate programs? Also, what is a way I can build my resume to be more attractive to these programs when my credentials are best suited for primatology--or is this something I can work to my favor?

I'm currently looking at UW-Madison (CEPH certified), Medical College of Wisconsin (CEPH certified), UIC as a reach school, and I haven't figured out many others, but I'd prefer to stay in the Midwest.

Hi everyone. I'm extremely excited to graduate undergrad and move on to a school of public health. My professional life is starting to take shape! I'd just like to know what you think my chances of getting into various programs are based on my credentials.

Undergraduate: I'm in my last semester at UW-Madison in the Nutritional Sciences department

GPA: 3.25

GRE Verbal: 160 (86th %)

GRE Quantitative: 159 (82nd %)

Writing: Didn't get it back yet

Work experience: 2.5 years in a research lab at UW

Extra curriculars: 2.5 years as president of a club, 2 years as vice-president of another club (both health-related)

Volunteering: ~500 hours at youth sports camps in the last 5 years, ~100 hours at a local church in the last year

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from a nutrition professors, 1 from the head of my lab (also a professor), and 1 from the coach I volunteered for

Other: certified personal trainer

My GPA is a little low, and obviously personal statements and statements of purpose are large portions of the application, but I think my other credentials are pretty competitive. What do you think the likelihood is of me getting into these schools (listed in order of preference):

1. Berkeley
  2. Washington
  3. UNC Chapel Hill
  4. Columbia
  5. Colorado
  6. Emory
  7. Michigan

Last edited:
I would expand to top 20 with your stats.

Berkeley
Washington
Columbia
UNC Chapel Hill
Emory
Colorado
Michigan
Drexel
Minnesota

That's a lot of schools! I think you'll be fine. I would narrow down the list to your top 3-5 and add a backup.

I had similar stats (similar GRE, 3.3 GPA from a good school and pretty much straight out of undergrad so very little work experience) and got into MPH(/RD) programs in nutrition at Hopkins, UNC, Michigan (with deans scholarship), and Tulane (my backup, though I could see myself going there if I didn't get into the others). The important thing is to have a strong personal statement and reference letters.

Last edited:
At least you have the advantage of having no geographic limitations. That really burned me. If i could do it over again, I would have not tried to stay in a particular region. Good for you.

At least you have the advantage of having no geographic limitations. That really burned me. If i could do it over again, I would have not tried to stay in a particular region. Good for you.

How perceptive you are! I purposely tried to apply to schools all around the country. I'd really prefer not to go to a Mid/Midwest school since that's where I did my undergrad, but Michigan was too perfect of a fit for the program I wanted :laugh:

Hi everybody,
BIG question for me is JHU MPH( Leadership and Management) v/s Yale MPH
( Health Management)????
What should I do???
Pls help me!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Undergraduate: I'm in my last semester at UW-Madison in the Nutritional Sciences department
GRE Verbal: 160 (86th %)
GRE Quantitative: 159 (82nd %)
Writing: 3.5 (29th %)

Are these good enough academics to get into TUFTS? Particularly the dual MS/MPH program? TUFTS isn't talked about too much on here.

I don't know how to explain my 3.5 on the writing of the GRE. I know I'm a good writer. I guess the weird prompts through me for a loop. I've also got a few years of nutrition work experience. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
How perceptive you are! I purposely tried to apply to schools all around the country. I'd really prefer not to go to a Mid/Midwest school since that's where I did my undergrad, but Michigan was too perfect of a fit for the program I wanted :laugh:

Indeed it is. Good luck, man! :luck: eta: Or girl!

Last edited:
Hi

I understand that this is not the admission offices or anything but I am a bs/ms student getting both degrees for biomedical engineering with a concentration in bioinformatics and graduating in June 2013.

My GPA is currently 3.55 and I am trying to pull it up to a 3.6.

My GRE is a 510 (64%) in verbal, 750 (82%) in math, and 4.5 (72%) in writing.

I have 3 months experience doing clinical research for glaucoma, 6 months experience working as a marketing assistance for a biotech company, 6 month experience working for Johnson and Johnson and 1 year and 6 month experience doing research for my masters thesis in immunology.

I am also in charge of the Student Chapter of Engineers without Borders at my school, leading a project for a water system in El Salvador.

I want to go into a PhD program in public health doing global health, health systems, and epidemiology. I am afraid my GRE scores are not that great and I wanted an opinion if I should take them again?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am starting a masters in public health in Fall 2012, and if it helps any of you, here are my stats and the schools (health policy departments) where I applied. I applied to all of these late in the cycle--earliest submitted app was in January, latest in March.

Undergraduate: Biology/Philosophy from a large but lower-tiered public research university
GPA: 3.9
GRE Verbal: 730 (168 converted score)
GRE Quantitative: 630 (153 converted score)
GRE Writing: 4
Work experience at time of application:
3 months of health policy research experience
5 years of genetics research in undergrad
1 year of toxicology research at the NIH
Extra curricular/Volunteering:
-1 semester intern doing advocacy with Native American health non-profit
-1 semester intern doing Asian health advocacy
-3 years as an officer with pre-med chapter of American Medical Student Association putting together health fairs/benefits/discussion forums
-6 months volunteering with a needle exchange program
-6 months tutoring "homeless" elementary school students

Considering that I still got into some pretty good schools even with limited health policy experience, I would say that people's chances are pretty good, since some of your stats are very impressive compared to mine.

Rejected from: Harvard, University of Washington
Accepted at: Columbia, NYU, UNC-Chapel Hill, Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan

Are these good enough academics to get into Tufts? Particularly the dual MS/MPH program? Tufts isn't talked about too much on here.

Bumping my post from ~3 weeks ago.

Undergrad: UW-Madison
Major: Dietetics
GRE Verbal: 159 (84th, 590 old)
GRE Quantitative: 160 (84th, 760 old)
GRE Writing: 3.5 (29th)
College work experience: 2.5 years in a research lab in the Nutritional Sciences department
Extras: 3 years as president of health-related club, 2 years as vice-president in another, 200+ hours volunteering at youth wrestling practices

I don't know how to explain my 3.5 on the writing of the GRE. I know I'm a good writer. I guess the weird prompts through me for a loop. What do you guys thinks?

Bumping my post from ~3 weeks ago.

Undergrad: UW-Madison
Major: Dietetics
GRE Verbal: 159 (84th, 590 old)
GRE Quantitative: 160 (84th, 760 old)
GRE Writing: 3.5 (29th)
College work experience: 2.5 years in a research lab in the Nutritional Sciences department
Extras: 3 years as president of health-related club, 2 years as vice-president in another, 200+ hours volunteering at youth wrestling practices

I don't know how to explain my 3.5 on the writing of the GRE. I know I'm a good writer. I guess the weird prompts through me for a loop. What do you guys thinks?

Hey Cooger,

GPA: Your GPA isn't amazing--but its good enough for public health. I know many places have a 3.5 cut off for offering scholarships (UTH comes to mind).

GRE: Good job! Your GRE is good enough for SPHs. Your writing will turn some heads, but a good personal statement MAY remedy that. I've been told in one case that when a low writing score is seen, some committees would look at the PS and compare it to that. Send me yours and I can glance over it if youd like.

EC's: Your ECs are great man. 3 years as president and 2 years of VP is great stuff. Your work experience will help as well.

Hopefully a more senior member such as Avalanche can comment but good luck! I think you're in great shape. Just don't only apply to Yale and John Hopkins. Be sure to apply to some safety schools.

Best of luck and be sure to plan for the SOPHAS delay.

Edit: I'm sorry, I see you quoted your post and was asking on Tufts specifically. In that case--I am not aware. Best of luck.

Hi, I'm a rising senior looking to apply to public health graduate programs this coming fall. I'm interested in Health Policy and Management specifically. If it is of any significance, I'm an under-represented minority. Here are my stats

Undergrad: Top 10 research university
GPA: 3.47 - (Upward trend - 3.1 freshman year, 3.4 sophomore year and 3.67 junior year)
Major: English (3.72 GPA)
Certificate: Global Health (3.68 GPA)
GRE: I'm currently studying for this test. I expect to test in the 80-90 percentile for each section.
Reference from: 2 Global health professors and my supervisor from a health policy internship
Health Related Experience: Health Policy internship for 2 months, Public policy internship for 4 months, Student Global AIDS Campaign. Potential research position between now and when I apply
Unrelated Experience: Work-study position in security, Public affairs internship at prominent media company
Schools I'm applying to: Columbia, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, Boston University.

I just want to know if I'm competitive. I won't have any full-time work experience so that puts me at a disadvantage already.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you'll get into all of the schools you applied to with these stats

Hi, I'm a rising senior looking to apply to public health graduate programs this coming fall. I'm interested in Health Policy and Management specifically. If it is of any significance, I'm an under-represented minority. Here are my stats

GPA: 3.4 - (Upward trend - 3.1 freshman year, 3.4 sophomore year and 3.67 junior year)
GRE: I'm currently studying for this test. I expect to test in the 80-90 percentile for each section.
Reference from: 2 Global health professors and my supervisor from a health policy internship
Health Related Experience: Health Policy internship for 2 months, Public policy internship for 4 months, Student Global AIDS Campaign. Potential research position between now and when I apply
Unrelated Experience: Work-study position in security, Public affairs internship at prominent media company
Schools I'm applying to: Columbia, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, Boston University.

I just want to know if I'm competitive. I won't have any full-time work experience so that puts me at a disadvantage already.

I'd just like to have an idea of where I should improve if I want to be a strong candidate for an MPH program like Tulane, Emory, or Colorado State (all three either have a primate research center attached or a program that has a one health approach):

GPA: 3.1/4.0 (graduated from UW-Madison)

Major: Anthropology (focused on primatology, but had about 4-5 medical anthropology courses too)

GRE: 630V (91%), 500Q (27%), and 5.0AW (84%). (Total: 1130)

EC Work: Secretary/President of Undergraduate Zoological Society (2 years), Co-chair for Hospital Relations for Wisconsin Dance Marathon (1 year), Conversational English Tutor (3 years)

Reseach Experience: Worked in a neuropsych lab (6 months), two original field experience research in primatology.

I'm also currently applying to AmeriCorps to get more practical hands-on experience in public health to bolster my application that way.

As I said, I studied primatology and I have a very strong interest in studying the patterns of zoonotic disease outbreaks in tropical countries that have primates. Or really, any kind of zoonotic disease. (I'm not saying I'm looking for the next ebola outbreak or something here, but more like parasitic transmission, etc.) I love this stuff. So, one of the things I'm looking at is environmental health or epidemiology.

However--as evidenced by my GRE score, I'm abysmal at quantitative work. I'd like to get better and I plan on finally taking a stats class before I'd apply, which I think would help. What else would you guys recommend? I know I'm not very strong now, but I'd like to be!

I'd just like to have an idea of where I should improve if I want to be a strong candidate for an MPH program like Tulane, Emory, or Colorado State (all three either have a primate research center attached or a program that has a one health approach):

GPA: 3.1/4.0 (graduated from UW-Madison)

Major: Anthropology (focused on primatology, but had about 4-5 medical anthropology courses too)

GRE: 630V (91%), 500Q (27%), and 5.0AW (84%). (Total: 1130)

EC Work: Secretary/President of Undergraduate Zoological Society (2 years), Co-chair for Hospital Relations for Wisconsin Dance Marathon (1 year), Conversational English Tutor (3 years)

Reseach Experience: Worked in a neuropsych lab (6 months), two original field experience research in primatology.

I'm also currently applying to AmeriCorps to get more practical hands-on experience in public health to bolster my application that way.

As I said, I studied primatology and I have a very strong interest in studying the patterns of zoonotic disease outbreaks in tropical countries that have primates. Or really, any kind of zoonotic disease. (I'm not saying I'm looking for the next ebola outbreak or something here, but more like parasitic transmission, etc.) I love this stuff. So, one of the things I'm looking at is environmental health or epidemiology.

However--as evidenced by my GRE score, I'm abysmal at quantitative work. I'd like to get better and I plan on finally taking a stats class before I'd apply, which I think would help. What else would you guys recommend? I know I'm not very strong now, but I'd like to be!

First of all, On Wisconsin! I just graduated from UW Madison in Dietetics last Saturday :)

Your professional experience and extra-curriculars look great, right up Public Health alley. Your GPA isn't great, but it's definitely not bad. The only other thing is your Gre Quantitative score, like you said. Unfortunately, I think that score will hold you back from your top MPH choices. I suggest taking the GRE again and studying like mad for the quant section. You obviously know how to write and your verbal section is outstanding. Add to that, you have a strong, focused interest, so your personal statement shouldn't be too difficult to write.

Good luck!

Hi, I'm a rising senior looking to apply to public health (Health Policy and Management) as well as health administration programs (MHA). I'm not positive how competitive I'm going to be coming straight out of college. Here are my stats

GPA: 3.47 - (Upward trend - 3.1 freshman year, 3.4 sophomore year and 3.67 junior year)
Health Related Experience: Health Policy internship at a non-profit for a summer, Student Global AIDS Campaign. Research position in mental health

I just want to know if I'm competitive. I won't have any full-time work experience so that puts me at a disadvantage already. If it is of any significance, I'm an under-represented minority (black and hispanic). How am I looking?

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA 3.73
Majors: General Science/ Health Science
Minor: Physics

Didn't take the GRE
MCAT: Physics 13/ Verbal 6/ Biology 11 Writing: M
Overall: 30M (around 80th percentile)

50hours + Physician shadowing
600+ volunteer at Oregon Health & Science University
200+ other volunteering experiences
-Part time LSAMP science tutor for 2 years (still active)
-Lead a year worth of Organic Chemistry Workshop as a workshop leader
-Researched fro Organic chemistry Lab for 6 months (published poster, name listed)
-Worked 4 different jobs in the past 5 years
Play the piano and have won regional classical piano competitions
Came to the US at the age of 17 from Taiwan. Fluent in Mandarin, English and basic in German.

what are my chances for MPH programs at Ivy league schools? Thank you so very much!
:luck:

so I've been lurking these forms for what seems like forever , and luckily its almost that time to apply! yay:D

Anyway, I am ALLLLL over the map. If you read my previous and only post here on the forums, I am the first to ever go to college in my family, and I'm really trying to figure all this mumbo jumbo out.

I am a bit all over the map when it comes to volunteer and work experience however I'm trying to find relevant programs to my interests which is Global Health. I switched from a being a community health (CH) major, to Health services admin (HSA) because 1.) there were basically the same classes except now, I am taking accounting and management courses and 2) it may be easier to find a job with HSA degree post grad than CH. Additionally I am taking courses such as Adv Epi, and program planning which would traditionally be for CH majors.

I'm not really sure what kinds of schools I'd even be competitive for, or if any of my experiance has any relevance, any input would greatly be appreciated.
so heres a bit about my stats and about me below:

current GPA : 3.90
GRE: need to take
Major: Health services administration
Minor: biological sciences and environmental health
extracurriculars: VP of the GLASS (gay lesbian and straight supporter club)
1 year serving as student health advocate at Rutgers University . Founder of low vision advocacy group, member of a respected international low vision advocacy group (also I am a frequent guest on the podcast), Founder of a public health advocacy group in Appalachia aimed to reach at risk youth. Founder of community outreach group at my current college. I have also actively participated in meetings for program development at the local health department.

Volunteer work: 2 summers abroad in Latin america researching Chagas disease. In December I will be traveling with an NGO to Kabul, Afghanistan to be apart of a health education effort.

About me: I have a genetic retinal disorder that has left me visually impaired, additionally I also have Hydrocephalus. I am also first generation college student. I am Mexican-American.

Languages: Fluent in Spanish, and French

Awards and Acknowledgments: I received a medical missions scholarship by the Baptist medical and dental fellowship, and was among one of the 30 women to be chosen for a workshop to empower women this year for the program at Ohio State University called New Leadership Ohio.

Additionally, I have worked with developmentally delayed, have CNA certifications, and am working on obtaining a Diploma in Public health from the Institute of International Medicine in Kansas City (I've also have frequented their conferences)

Last edited:
Hi all, first post. I recently had a "fit like a glove" feeling when communicating with my local public health department at school and have since then been motivated to pursue further education within the field.

I am an incoming senior (as of Fall 2012) at the University of Tennessee Knoxville Campus. I would like to remain here in Knoxville to pursue an MPH specifically in Health Policy Administration.

Major: Sociology (BA)
GPA: 3.94
GRE: will take this fall upon my return to Knoxville
Volunteer/Work Experience: No work experience within public health. I was a medical records clerk one summer in high school however. As a volunteer I work as a member of the First Aid Station Team at various events with the American Red Cross, and I am also an officer of the club on campus while also doubling as an intern with our local ARC chapter. Hoping to get an internship as an undergrad with the local HD this fall, but preferential selection is given, if I am not mistaken, to students already within the MPH who must do so to complete their degree.

I have background in statistics, but nothing super in-depth (just an intro to prob and stats, then a Sociological Research course), will be taking intro to accounting in the spring, and have taken course work in public policy and public finance. I have not been involved in any research projects which I believe is my biggest weakness, however. Could get a strong LOR from my ARC supervisor, while still working on getting two from academics.

I would also like to take this time to pose a question to anyone who would be willing to answer. I want to stay in-state as it will make financially the most sense for me, but if for some reason I do not go to grad school immediately after I complete my undergrad (in spring 2013) I am certainly going to look hard for any entry-level public health position to work in for a while to gain years of experience, but would it make sense to even pursue an associates degree in nursing to enter the field?

hello,
I am an international dental graduate, and i currently wish to apply for MPH.

I just gave my GRE and recieved 149 in verbal and 161 in quant. will these marks suffice in getting admission in any of the unis.Because i cannot jus repeat it.

M planning for spring 2013.
M begging some1 please do replyand not go blind on this.
thanks

3.337 GPA (Pre-Medicine, Psychology), done with all anything-chemistry, i dont expect it to go down from here.

Have yet to take the GRE still

Was in Honors and then dropped, Started out in a Scholar's Group, Leadership Group Freshman Year, Executive Dean's Student Advisory Board

Big Ten School, NCAA D1 National Champion

Volunteered over 700 hours at my university's medical center

Did a retrospective study (N = 1000) of chart reviews that ended up in a surgical journal.

What are my chances of getting into schools like Columbia, NYU, Mount Sinai, UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Washington, Boston, Minnesota, Ohio State

Thanks!!

3.337 GPA (Pre-Medicine, Psychology), done with all anything-chemistry, i dont expect it to go down from here.

Have yet to take the GRE still

Was in Honors and then dropped, Started out in a Scholar's Group, Leadership Group Freshman Year, Executive Dean's Student Advisory Board

Big Ten School, NCAA D1 National Champion

Volunteered over 700 hours at my university's medical center

Did a retrospective study (N = 1000) of chart reviews that ended up in a surgical journal.

What are my chances of getting into schools like Columbia, NYU, Mount Sinai, UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Washington, Boston, Minnesota, Ohio State

Thanks!!

Are you a Buckeye?

You will have a decent chance as long you concentrate on your GRE and personal statements.

Yes, I am.

Are mid-80%tile scores on my GRE good target scores?

My LoR: a Princeton Review Top 300 professor (took stats from her and helping her teach a class next year), my research coordinator/PI (a FACS with a Mount Sinai MD)

Would you recommend waiting to apply until mid-December after I have another semester of grades? My GPA could go up to a 3.4 with good effort.

anyone who got into Columbia or NYU want to share their stats?!?!?!

If you really must know:
GPA: 3.55
GRE: 730 q 630 v (you will have to look into conversion charts for new GRE)

Personally I would not wait to apply until December. Apply early especially because SOPHAS can take up to 6 weeks to process.

Focus on your personal statement and it should all work out. Your published work is cool, especially if relevant to your specific field (Epi, HMP, HBHE, etc.). Volunteer experience shows your interest. Just show the admissions committee that you have a clear and realistic plan of what you hope to get out of the University and where you hope to go afterwards.

Hi all,

I'm applying for PhD in health services research programs at top programs. I only have an undergrad and am wondering what my chances are given that:

- GRE: All upper 90th percentile.
- 2 years experience in health care consulting
- Undergrad in econ and public policy (minor math) from small private college
- GPA: 3.9
- Honors, poli sci student of year, university undergraduate research finalist, etc.
- LoR from well published poli sci prof unrelated to health field, my research advisor, and a co-worker

Concerning research...
- Health care systems comparison study that will be submitted and hopefully approved for publication by application time.
- Article review that will be submitted and hopefully approved for publication by application time.
- Presentations at two undergraduate research conferences.
- Knowledge of SPSS, R, linear algebra, statistics, multivariable calculus

I want to get a PhD but cannot return to school for two years in a MPH program followed by another 5 in a PhD program. Do I have a shot at getting straight into the top aforementioned PhD programs?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Are you currently an undergrad or have you graduated?

I had scores and research experience similar to yours--minus the work experience--and didn't get into the PhD program. The 2 years of healthcare consulting is definitely a plus (on top of your other superb scores). I think you should have a reasonable shot. But I don't know what the programs you seek require.

Hi all,

I'm applying for PhD in health services research programs at top programs. I only have an undergrad and am wondering what my chances are given that:

- GRE: All upper 90th percentile.
- 2 years experience in health care consulting
- Undergrad in econ and public policy (minor math) from small private college
- GPA: 3.9
- Honors, poli sci student of year, university undergraduate research finalist, etc.
- LoR from well published poli sci prof unrelated to health field, my research advisor, and a co-worker

Concerning research...
- Health care systems comparison study that will be submitted and hopefully approved for publication by application time.
- Article review that will be submitted and hopefully approved for publication by application time.
- Presentations at two undergraduate research conferences.
- Knowledge of SPSS, R, linear algebra, statistics, multivariable calculus

I want to get a PhD but cannot return to school for two years in a MPH program followed by another 5 in a PhD program. Do I have a shot at getting straight into the top aforementioned PhD programs?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Your stats will be similar to your competition, and many will apply with a master's in hand so...

It'll depend on how highly ranked your liberal arts college is.

And then it'll depend on how well you can demonstrate your research experience has been crucial to your development as a researcher. Health care consulting doesn't necessary count as research in the eyes of a admissions committee.

The best thing you can do is apply and hope for the best!

Blizzard1 - I have graduated in 2010.

All the PhD programs say they don't have strict requirements, though most, though not all, of the admitted students have masters.

Stories:
- My liberal arts college is not going to turn any heads.
- I can demonstrate use of research experience at my health care consulting job.

So this brings up another question: How do I differentiate myself from other candidates and make it clear that I am not deficient in research experience?

Any more advice and opinions are appreciated. Also, what do you all think of these scores as far as acceptance into masters level programs? Thanks for the quick responses!

Last edited:
Blizzard1 - I have graduated in 2010.

All the PhD programs say they don't have strict requirements, though most, though not all, of the admitted students have masters.

Stories:
- My liberal arts college is not going to turn any heads.
- I can demonstrate use of research experience at my health care consulting job.

So this brings up another question: How do I differentiate myself from other candidates and make it clear that I am not deficient in research experience?

Any more advice and opinions are appreciated. Thanks for the quick responses!

My suggestion then would be to apply diversely. In general, the less famous schools tend to get less total applicants, so those will certainly be very realistic schools to aim for. There's always some sort of bias against the not top 50 schools for whatever reason, particularly at the famous institutions.

Another thing I would suggest is reach out to professors and faculty that interest you. You can see if before applying, you can convince someone you're the perfect person to work with since you'll fit their research portfolio and you'll also already have a mentor to work with on your dissertation (or at least a resource to start with).

Be specific. Make it known WHY you want to go to that school. Do your homework before applying and demonstrate you know exactly why a PhD is needed, what kind of work you'd like to pursue, where gaps in field currently exist, and how that school and department fits (the second point works well in this regard).

Hi, I'm a rising senior looking to apply to public health (Health Policy and Management) as well as health administration programs (MHA). I'm not positive how competitive I'm going to be coming straight out of college. Here are my stats

GPA: 3.4 - (Upward trend - 3.1 freshman year, 3.4 sophomore year and 3.67 junior year)
Health Related Experience: Health Policy internship at a non-profit for a summer, Student Global AIDS Campaign. Research position in mental health

I just want to know if I'm competitive. I won't have any full-time work experience so that puts me at a disadvantage already. If it is of any significance, I'm an under-represented minority (black and hispanic). How am I looking?

Looking good, brah. Work on that SOP/PS and pwn it. Afterwards put your shades up. :cool:

Hello,

My major is industrial engineering and I was planning to do masters in it but last semester I figured this is not what I want to do. So, I completely changed my area and now I am a bit worried whether I will be a good candidate.....also I will be straight out of college applicant.

Undergraduate: Georgia Tech with BS in industrial engineering I will be graduating in Dec!

GPA: 3.69 now but probably 3.7 or 3.71 when I graduate in fall

GRE Verbal: not yet but aiming for 160+(cross fingers)

GRE Quantitative: probably 165+

Writing: not yet!

Work experience: 2 yrs research lab in psyc lab in human aging in health area (started in spring 2011), summer internship with company in supply chain area (2011 summer), bus system team project -- industrial engineering research for 2 yrs ( started in spring 2011) this was featured in Atlanta radio and cnn article and many other media

Volunteering: volunteered in summer for kids with disability in freshman summer not much volunteering....

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from psyc professor that I did research with, 1 from industrial engineering professor that I did project with, 1 from industrial engineering professor (possibly... still debating if I should get this one from psyc lab person whom I directly+mostly work with and has phd now!)

Other: international student--female

Schools that I will be applying:
Harvard --sd2 in biostat or epi...? I need some input!
Columbia -- mph in health policy and mgt +global health concentration
Johns Hopkins - msph in health system
Emory - msph in global epi, epi and biostat
Yale - mph with global health concentration
Upenn -- good choice?
BU - mph int health concentration
Michigan - mph
Univ of Washington - MPH in Global Health (Health Metrics and Evaluation Track)
NYU

Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:
Hello,

My major is industrial engineering and I was planning to do masters in it but last semester I figured this is not what I want to do. So, I completely changed my area and now I am a bit worried whether I will be a good candidate.....also I will be straight out of college applicant.

Undergraduate: Georgia Tech with BS in industrial engineering I will be graduating in Dec!

GPA: 3.69 now but probably 3.7 or 3.71 when I graduate in fall

GRE Verbal: not yet but aiming for 160+(cross fingers)

GRE Quantitative: probably 165+

Writing: not yet!

Work experience: 2 yrs research lab in psyc lab in human aging in health area (started in spring 2011), summer internship with company in supply chain area (2011 summer), bus system team project -- industrial engineering research for 2 yrs ( started in spring 2011) this was featured in Atlanta radio and cnn article and many other media

Volunteering: volunteered in summer for kids with disability in freshman summer not much volunteering....

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from psyc professor that I did research with, 1 from industrial engineering professor that I did project with, 1 from industrial engineering professor (possibly... still debating if I should get this one from psyc lab person whom I directly+mostly work with and has phd now!)

Other: international student--female

Schools that I will be applying:
Harvard --sd2 in biostat or epi...? I need some input!
Columbia -- mph in health policy and mgt +global health concentration
Johns Hopkins - msph in health system
Emory - msph in global epi, epi and biostat
Yale - mph with global health concentration
Upenn -- good choice?
BU - mph int health concentration
Michigan - mph
Univ of Washington - MPH in Global Health (Health Metrics and Evaluation Track)
NYU

Thank you so much! :)

You should be competitive at basically any school you apply to!

Okay, so I won't be applying to PH schools for a while, but I'd still like to see what my chances are.

Looking for an MPH/MS in whatever version combination of "socio behavioral health inequalities" that the school would have a program in.

B.S. in Systems Engineering, Minor in Public Health
Washington University in STL

GPA: 3.15 (pretty low, I know...I had a pretty bad spring sophomore semester...)

Work Experience:
Currently doing work with a professor at UIC regarding incarcerated women in Chicago and cancer rates. Also working on writing a grant for a new use of GIS technology in tracking health disparities in the city.
Working as a consultant for a management consulting firm in the city.
Worked with a non-profit organization in St. Louis to develop a chain of healthy grocery stores to address food deserts in urban areas.
Worked with a professor at WashU to edit her book on ethnographic interviews conducted in Uganda.

GRE: 159V (85%) 167Q (99%) 5.0 W

a bunch of random volunteering knick knacks here and there throughout undergrad (hip hop dance, LGBTQIA awareness groups, etc etc.)

Applying to...

Columbia
Berkeley
Harvard
Yale
University of Washington (wouldn't that be comical?)
UCLA

also possibly:
London School of Hygiene
University of Sydney
University of Edinburgh

Thanks for your thoughts! >< I'm kinda nervous...

Okay, so I won't be applying to PH schools for a while, but I'd still like to see what my chances are.

Looking for an MPH/MS in whatever version combination of "socio behavioral health inequalities" that the school would have a program in.

B.S. in Systems Engineering, Minor in Public Health
Washington University in STL

GPA: 3.15 (pretty low, I know...I had a pretty bad spring sophomore semester...)

Work Experience:
Currently doing work with a professor at UIC regarding incarcerated women in Chicago and cancer rates. Also working on writing a grant for a new use of GIS technology in tracking health disparities in the city.
Working as a consultant for a management consulting firm in the city.
Worked with a non-profit organization in St. Louis to develop a chain of healthy grocery stores to address food deserts in urban areas.
Worked with a professor at WashU to edit her book on ethnographic interviews conducted in Uganda.

GRE: 159V (85%) 167Q (99%) 5.0 W

a bunch of random volunteering knick knacks here and there throughout undergrad (hip hop dance, LGBTQIA awareness groups, etc etc.)

Applying to...

Columbia
Berkeley
Harvard
Yale
University of Washington (wouldn't that be comical?)
UCLA

also possibly:
London School of Hygiene
University of Sydney
University of Edinburgh

Thanks for your thoughts! >< I'm kinda nervous...

I think you'll receive plus points for having a non-traditional major (engineering), particularly for the socio-behavioral world. Your GPA is ok, not outstanding, but your GRE scores are fantastic. So I think you should have a pretty good chance at most of the schools you've listed. The only one that I'd say that wouldn't be a slam dunk is Harvard (it's not a slam dunk for anyone, to be fair).

I don't know if it helps, but in my public health courses, I received all A's, save for one or two B+'s. But I don't know if they will look with that much scrutiny at my transcript?

hehe. TBH, Harvard is just kind of a "for kicks" school. I would really LOVE to get into Columbia's SMS program.

Hi everyone,
I am completely new here, and really would appreciate some help. I am going to be a senior in college this fall. I want to get a masters degree in health administration and am very confused about the whole process. It is so much easier to find information about med schools and the whole application process but when it comes MHA or MPH it is much harder to find help.
Here are my stats:
Major: Biology, member of the honors program
GPA: 3.5
Extra: TA for gen chem for one semester, volunteering at a hospital for the summer, research on comparative health care, and internship at UIC hospital's administration department.
I have to say I am probably the weakest in my volunteering area with probably only 50 hours of volunteering, but I am trying to start again right now and get in atleast 50 more hours before september.
Now, with all this I want to know where should I be applying. Are yale, harvard, JH etc completely out of reach? What would be safe schools for me?
Also, when should I send in all my applications by? I am getting such different answers from everyone about this.
Please anyone that can help please do so. I would really appreciate it. Is there anyone out there who got into Yale with stats like mine?
And anyone have any experince with Rush university?

I can't really tell you about your chances to get in places, because I''ll be applying in the fall too. Don't you wish every school just released an average GPA and GRE from the class accepted the year before?

As far as when to submit applications, if you go on the websites for specific schools and programs, they all have application dates listed, usually under "how to apply" sections. Most of the ones I've looked at are between February and April. But I've heard the earlier you get them in, the better (like, before December). Also, check out the SOPHAS website, they have a lot of FAQ about applications.

Thinking of applying for Epi PhD programs anywhere with folks working in vaccines or other form of ID research for fall 2013.

BS Microbiology, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
GPA 3.1
MSPH Epidemiology, UAB
GPA 4.0 through ~30 credits, with a couple microbio PhD courses

GRE: From four years ago, 680 Quant, 600 Verbal, 4.0 AW, scheduled to take again in August

Research: Some work in a microbio lab during undergrad, research assistant at the UAB DEM and at the Center for Injury Sciences doing various statistical analysis projects. Two studies submitted for publication in the last week or so to journal with IF~4 (second author, performed analysis and did some writing). Will hopefully have a vaccine study done by fall (first author) and a thesis as well. A couple posters/awards (first author).

Applying: BU, Pitt, Colorado-Denver, Iowa, UAB, UIC, Umich*, Penn*, Yale* (*reaching for the stars here)

Assuming I perform better in the quantitative, I'm wondering if what I've done since undergrad would help me to overcome poor performance. Especially somewhere like Yale's EMD program, which sounds phenomenal and right up my ally.

In my opinion, no school is out of reach based on one's GPA alone. All schools look at different qualifying factors, some weighing certain factors more than others (i.e. Personal Statement, GRE, References, etc.). Your best bet is to work hard on your GRE, ask for your references early, take A LOT of time on your personal statement, and apply to all schools by October. I'm starting my MPH in Health Management & Policy this fall and everyone that I've talked to has come from varied backgrounds and academic endeavors. Best of Luck!

Hello all:

I have been perusing the board for a few weeks now, in anticipation of the GRE. I want to apply for MHA/MPH Management depending on what the various schools offer...

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my chances/ if you have any suggestions for schools that I should apply to... I am still unsure of where exactly I want to apply/want to attend, so I would really appreciate your advice...

Undergrad: UofM, 3.73 GPA
GRE: 160V, 158Q (Haven't received the writing yet, as I just took my test today)

I had my scores send to UofM(number 1 choice), Yale, Tulane, and University of Florida

Also, I am currently an intern at a Cancer Institute doing a research project and some other management related projects...

What do you think of my chances at these schools?

What other schools should I apply to? Where do you feel like I could get into?

Thank you very, very much...